Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 44  All

Author Topic: Constructed General Discussion  (Read 270730 times)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
Re: Constructed General Discussion
« Reply #700 on: November 10, 2015, 04:02:21 pm »

I also like Kezan against Freeze Mage, but it depends on your curve where you can fit your tech cards.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: November 11, 2015, 06:12:05 am »

If you could have any Legendary for constructed play, what would it be?

I guess I'm looking for a top 10...I assume Boom is there.  Is Ysera a must have?  The new Warrior one?  Voljin?

To follow up on this...here's what I don't have.  Anything on this list strike you as "dude, how have you not crafted that yet?"

Class:
Malorne, Aviana, Gahz'rilla, Acidmaw, Archmage Antonidas, Flame Leviathan, Bolvar Fordragon, Eadric the Pure, Prophet Velen, Vol'jin, Confessor Paletress, Edwin VanCleef, Trade Prince Gallywix, Anub'arak, The Mistcaller, Mal'Ganis, Wilfred Fizzlebang, Grommash Hellscream

Neutral:
Bloodmage Thalnos, Lorewalker Cho, Millhouse Manastorm, Nat Pagle, Elite Tauren Chieftain, Harrison Jones, Gelbin Mekkatorque, Hogger, Illidan Stormrage, The Beast, The Black Knight, Baron Geddon, Gruul, Ragnaros the Firelord, Malygos, Nozdormu, Onyxia, Ysera, Deathwing, Blingtron 3000, Mimiron's Head, Gazlowe, Toshley, Foe Reaper 4000, Mekgineer Thermaplugg, Eydis Darkbane, Gormok the Impaler, Bolf Ramshield, Chillmaw, Skycap'n Kragg, Icehowl
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: November 11, 2015, 06:39:36 am »

If you could have any Legendary for constructed play, what would it be?

I guess I'm looking for a top 10...I assume Boom is there.  Is Ysera a must have?  The new Warrior one?  Voljin?

To follow up on this...here's what I don't have.  Anything on this list strike you as "dude, how have you not crafted that yet?"

Class:
Malorne, Aviana, Gahz'rilla, Acidmaw, Archmage Antonidas, Flame Leviathan, Bolvar Fordragon, Eadric the Pure, Prophet Velen, Vol'jin, Confessor Paletress, Edwin VanCleef, Trade Prince Gallywix, Anub'arak, The Mistcaller, Mal'Ganis, Wilfred Fizzlebang, Grommash Hellscream

Neutral:
Bloodmage Thalnos, Lorewalker Cho, Millhouse Manastorm, Nat Pagle, Elite Tauren Chieftain, Harrison Jones, Gelbin Mekkatorque, Hogger, Illidan Stormrage, The Beast, The Black Knight, Baron Geddon, Gruul, Ragnaros the Firelord, Malygos, Nozdormu, Onyxia, Ysera, Deathwing, Blingtron 3000, Mimiron's Head, Gazlowe, Toshley, Foe Reaper 4000, Mekgineer Thermaplugg, Eydis Darkbane, Gormok the Impaler, Bolf Ramshield, Chillmaw, Skycap'n Kragg, Icehowl
Depends exactly what you're trying to build, sorry I haven't looked at the context of the question.
But my top 10/11 things to craft from that list are (in roughly decreasing order of how much I would want them):
Ysera,
Grommash,
Ragnaros,
Mal'Ganis,
Harrison,
Antonidas,
Black Knight,
Geddon,
Malygos,
Chillmaw, (??)
Thalnos (??)

Control warrior would need Geddon and Grom most desperately, Ysera is for controlly decks in general, but likes priest a lot (Control Priest/Dragon Priest?), and Chillmaw really fits best in priest.  Antonidas goes in most mage decks.  The rest are almost techy-type cards, whether they go in deck 1 or deck 2 would depend on meta and exact deck makeup, but it's nice to have them around for when the meta changes.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:54:16 am by Haddock »
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: November 11, 2015, 09:50:28 am »

Antonidas kind of works in every mage deck.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: November 11, 2015, 09:53:29 am »

Antonidas kind of works in every mage deck.
Gah, yes that's true.  I originally had a line about Antonidas in there, and when I took it away it's ended up looking from the last sentence like I'm relegating Antonidas to the status of tech-legendary.  Which it really isn't.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: November 21, 2015, 03:47:17 pm »
+4

Just hit Legend for the first time, yipee!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 21, 2015, 06:21:07 pm »

Just hit Legend for the first time, yipee!

Enjoy the card back! I never use it :P

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 22, 2015, 11:48:05 am »
+2

Not sure where to post this, but I've finally got all 5 arrows to hit the bull's eye on the TGT board.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 11:50:00 am by markusin »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 22, 2015, 12:25:50 pm »

So it seems like every single Paladin switched to secretless builds, all at once (never aggro pallies, always midrange).

Maybe they are overreacting to the psychology of getting Flared? Maybe they are correctly reacting to a clot of Hunters running double Flare? (Which I think is itself an overreaction).

The weird thing about cards like Flare is that if you beat someone with it using a secretless deck, you might not ever know they had it.  It seems like they had a generically bad draw, and you don't know that Flare was cluttering their hand the entire game.  So since I haven't been playing secret pally lately I don't have a good idea of how much flare is actually hapening.

I really think Flare is the only explanation, I don't see how any other build can make Challenger so bad that you don't even run a 1 of each secret+double Challenger build.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 22, 2015, 12:28:41 pm »

Reno too. Im seeing a fair number of midrange highlander decks, which if played and built right can take secret pally apart. Midrange paladin always did well against secret pally anyway.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 22, 2015, 12:29:32 pm »

In my case, I don't have any copies of Mysterious Challenger. Plus I wanted to experiment with Dragon Paladin using Bran. Jeweled Scarab isn't half bad either since Paladin 3-mana cards are so good. Scarab is like using Hero Power on Turn 2 to hopefully get a really good 3-drop for the matchup.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 22, 2015, 12:37:02 pm »

I'm not seeing that many Renos though.  Again, though, it's a kind of card you might not get to see was in their hand but wasn't played before the game ended.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 22, 2015, 05:36:28 pm »

In my case, I don't have any copies of Mysterious Challenger. Plus I wanted to experiment with Dragon Paladin using Bran. Jeweled Scarab isn't half bad either since Paladin 3-mana cards are so good. Scarab is like using Hero Power on Turn 2 to hopefully get a really good 3-drop for the matchup.
Im glad someone else haf the same idea, dragon pally was my first thought. Two variants I've tried, the first seemed to lose to hyper aggressive face decks no matter how much heal I put in, so im trying a highlander variant.
Hadnt thought of scarab, interesting...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #713 on: November 22, 2015, 05:55:20 pm »

I've been still running into a lot of Secret Pallies.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: November 24, 2015, 01:47:42 pm »

Mech Shaman, where have you been all my life?  I played the Face version recently updated and popularised by Reynad and shot from 10 to 6 almost without loss, handily making up the sacrifice I made playing Malylock.  It's Face Hunter with multiple 1 mana Fireballs and Frostbolts in your deck: how can you not love it?  I might have to bump Fel Reaver up my crafting priority list to try out the more midrangey version with Shredder and Fel Reaver.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: November 25, 2015, 11:06:22 am »

I've been running secret paladin the past few days to get a higher ladder before end of season and over probably 30 games I haven't seen a single flare or even mystic. I do run a mystic ough and it always ruins a Mage if I draw it.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: November 25, 2015, 11:57:00 am »

I must say, Reno makes it so much easier to construct a deck to complete quests for my weaker classes. Yesterday I needed to win 5 games as a Rogue, so I threw together a Highlander deck with Reno. Pretty easy to at least win against aggro in casual, although my deck managed to defeat a Reno Highlander Handlock.

I find the discover cards are a natural fit for Highlander decks. Gives you a chance to discover another copy of a good class card you want in your deck. Also lets you have a chnace to get tech cards like Mind Control Tech without having to add them to your deck.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: November 25, 2015, 12:22:33 pm »

I've been running secret paladin the past few days to get a higher ladder before end of season and over probably 30 games I haven't seen a single flare or even mystic. I do run a mystic ough and it always ruins a Mage if I draw it.

Mystic is good against Mage or Hunter, but not usually against Paladin. When you have 5 Secrets losing 1 randomly isn't that big a deal. Flare is devastating to Secret Paladin. Their Mysterious Challenger just becomes a vanilla card.

I am surprised to see midrange Paladins giving up on Secrets entirely though because of Flare. Losing a single Avenge to a Flare isn't really that big a deal.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: November 27, 2015, 01:50:25 am »

Mystic is good against Mage or Hunter, but not usually against Paladin. When you have 5 Secrets losing 1 randomly isn't that big a deal. Flare is devastating to Secret Paladin. Their Mysterious Challenger just becomes a vanilla card.

I am surprised to see midrange Paladins giving up on Secrets entirely though because of Flare. Losing a single Avenge to a Flare isn't really that big a deal.

It's funny, having Flare in hand turns Mysterious Challenger into a 6 mana 6/6 with "Overload two of your opponent's Mana Crystals", which isn't that bad.

I think Midrange Paladins are giving up on Secradin because Secradin created this huge Paladin density, and Paladin counters secrets itself.  Peacekeeper addresses the 9/8 Challenger without being as fiddly as BGH, and Muster is really really good at nailing secrets, since the sword and tokens answer Noble Sacrifice and Redemption each, and give you lots of flexibility on working on Avenge too

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #719 on: November 27, 2015, 03:17:28 am »

It's funny, having Flare in hand turns Mysterious Challenger into a 6 mana 6/6 with "Overload two of your opponent's Mana Crystals", which isn't that bad.

More importantly, it turns their early secrets into 1 mana "overload X of your opponent's Mana Crystals" where X is, on average, less than 2 and sometimes less than 1, which is that bad. Especially since secrets cause you to prevent your opponent from playing around them if possible, which is obviously suboptimal play if he just has a Flare anyway.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 03:19:18 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: November 27, 2015, 03:58:03 pm »

More importantly, it turns their early secrets into 1 mana "overload X of your opponent's Mana Crystals" where X is, on average, less than 2 and sometimes less than 1, which is that bad. Especially since secrets cause you to prevent your opponent from playing around them if possible, which is obviously suboptimal play if he just has a Flare anyway.

Yeah Flaring early secrets is great value and probably optimal play a lot of times.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 27, 2015, 04:59:22 pm »

Yeah Flaring early secrets is great value and probably optimal play a lot of times.
Thing is you can also beat MC if you have good board advantage when he comes out. Playing Flare against early secrets helps you do that. Conversely, not playing Flare on early secrets can make it easier for your opponent to claim board Advantage by turn 6, at which point even destroying the Christmas tree might not be enough.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 27, 2015, 07:33:11 pm »

I dont think they ever played it anyway.
Aggro pallies did, tho, sometimes.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 28, 2015, 10:00:05 am »

I dont think they ever played it anyway.
Aggro pallies did, tho, sometimes.
There were definitely lots of Paladins with Challenger with no Leper Gnomes before. 

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: December 01, 2015, 03:43:25 pm »
+3

Awful line break not in preview. :-(
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 44  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.