Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44  All

Author Topic: Constructed General Discussion  (Read 270461 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
Re: Constructed General Discussion
« Reply #550 on: May 09, 2015, 02:43:02 am »

Ten ought to be plenty, the deck here with the most dragons has 10.

I don't find myself ever upset with holding too many dragons.  I could give up Alex, I think.

Is Sludge the best taunt there is?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 09, 2015, 04:20:36 am »

There is no beating Sludge Belcher in a taunt-off. It is truly the best there is.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 09, 2015, 09:16:39 am »

There is no beating Sludge Belcher in a taunt-off. It is truly the best there is.
It takes at least as many attacks to get through Sludge Belcher as it does to get through Sunwalker. It has even more resilience than Sunwalker when faced with hard removal like The Black Knight and Siphon Soul with the deathrattle as well as against 1/1's like the hounds from UtH. All that for 1 mana less than Sunwalker. It's doesn'tp kill as much stuff, but keeping your opponent from hitting face and other minions is really what you're looking for in a taunt.

Against aggro, the 3 attack is usually enough to kill everything anyway.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 09, 2015, 12:56:53 pm »

Tirion? (obviously only Paladins, can run it, but if we're being pedantic...)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 09, 2015, 12:59:45 pm »

Deathrattling into another minion is an opportunity for inconvenience in attacking with the proper exact damage amount, much like divine shield, so I often like to think of them the same.

Sludge belcher is kinda like 3/6 divine shield by that logic.  Sunwalker trades a health for an attack, you'd never do that on purpose on your taunter would you? Certainly not at the cost of mana.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: May 12, 2015, 11:40:52 pm »

Turn 6 Knife Juggler Implosion is making me want to quit the game.  4 damage and 2 tokens or 8 damage and 4 tokens.  But the total amount of luck possible is beyond an order of magnitude of 2 because you can have 2 poorly thrown knives versus 4 accurate ones.

Blizzard is trying to teach me to be content with Brawl's level of RNG
And now you also have to worry about Bane of Doom summoning those 5+ mana demons, all of which are formidable in their own way.
Man, got Mal'ganis from Bane of Doom twice in a row in ranked. Crazy stuff.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #556 on: May 13, 2015, 05:44:55 am »

Couldn't Bane of Doom just have its own Demons like Animal Companion does?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 13, 2015, 10:23:21 am »

Could have, but no now it's like it came out of GvG. I've also gotten a lot of Dread Infernals with it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 10:24:22 am by markusin »

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 13, 2015, 02:15:50 pm »

I don't think that would really make sense with the lore, though. Misha, Leokk, and Huffer are three specific beasts that Rexxar has befriended in WoW; I don't think there's a good analog for Bane of Doom.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 13, 2015, 03:08:50 pm »

I don't think that would really make sense with the lore, though. Misha, Leokk, and Huffer are three specific beasts that Rexxar has befriended in WoW; I don't think there's a good analog for Bane of Doom.

How much does Hearthstone care about the lore? I assume there's some lore interactions, but actually have no idea except for the occasionaly hearsay such as ycz6's example. I've never even watched someone play WoW.

(I guess followup question, how much do players care about the lore being accurately represented in Hearthstone?)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 03:11:41 pm by Jorbles »

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 20, 2015, 06:54:43 pm »

So I just opened a golden Mal'Ganis. Which is awesome and all, but I never play warlock because I don't haveany warlock cards. So my question is, do I dust him for another legendary, or do I work towards a great warlock deck (because I really like golden cards...)? My main classes are rogue and shaman, I have al-akir and gallywix already, along with the black knight. I don't have naxx or blackrock, but I might get them in the near future

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 20, 2015, 07:10:22 pm »

@Jorbles - Let's just say that Dr. Boom is an insane card while in WoW he is a random NPC, while guys like Illidan who are main characters got not-so-flattery cards.

@AHoppy - If it were unplayable, I'd dust it in a heartbeat, however, it does see some play. If I had a deck that needs legendary, I'd dust, otherwise, I wouldn't.
You could get like, Doom.
You really need Void Walkers to make Mal work, so you'd need to unlock some nax wings.
Now, it's up to you if you are going to focus on your fav classes or not, but there isn't really competitive Shaman ATM, and only Rogue to build towards is Oil.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 20, 2015, 08:13:14 pm »

@Jorbles - Let's just say that Dr. Boom is an insane card while in WoW he is a random NPC, while guys like Illidan who are main characters got not-so-flattery cards.
Dr. Boom nerf to 7/5 incoming?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 20, 2015, 08:14:14 pm »

I think he'd still be played at 7/5, but it would make him a lot easier to kill.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 28, 2015, 10:59:33 pm »

Circle of Healing x2
PW: Shield x2
Northshire Cleric x2
Twilight Whelp x2
SW: Death
Velen's Chosen x2
Blackwing Tech x2
Shadow Madness
Auchenai Soulpriest x2
Dragonkin Sorcerer x2
Hungry Dragon x2
Holy Nova x2
Blackwing Corrupter x2
Lightbomb
Drakonid Crusher x2
Chromaggus
Alexstrasza
Nefarian

So I'm still running this version, not having swapped in a Belcher yet.  There are more games where I miss having removal than I miss having Taunts, though, so I'm not sure I need to swap that in.

I'd say the deck is pretty solid in the Teens -- haven't played it higher.  I'm generally maintaining board control, opting to trade/clear over face at all times, while putting pressure on my opponent by having more solid bodies on the board at all times.

I consitently have enough dragons in hand to always activate what I need while not worrying about playing any dragon I've got.  Of the three big boys, Chromaggus always feels underwhelming, and I could swap him out for something strong (Boom?).

I think I struggle the most against decks that put out 3-4 minions at a time because I just can't clear fast enough.  (Face Hunter is an exception as long as I draw my Holy Novas at the right time.  They're basically dead in the water at that point.)

It's also fun to play.  Happy to hear any suggestions, if they exist.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 29, 2015, 12:50:17 pm »

If you're struggling decks that drop lots of little minions at once maybe you want another Shadow Madness? It's really strong against Zoo decks, Mech decks, and slow control decks (because Imp Gang Boss/Harvest Golem/Sludge Belcher).

Edit: Grammar, but also Shadow Madness has uses against Grim Patron decks too.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:59:12 pm by Jorbles »

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 30, 2015, 12:13:08 am »

So I ended up getting naxx, and with voidcallers I'm loving Mal'Ganis. But I just had a hand with 7 cards, at 3 health against a hunter (don't remember what was on his board) but my riskiest but biggest return play was to play a doomguard, then PO my voidcaller, trading then calling out Mal'Ganis. Well, the doomguard discarded PO and MG...

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 31, 2015, 05:33:45 pm »

Well, why not play PO before Doomguard?

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 31, 2015, 06:33:49 pm »

The most critical card there was MG, so I figured it gave me a better chance not to discard him. I believe I could still have traded the voidcaller without PO, but PO would have made it better. Discarding both was just kind of an RNG slap in the face...

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 31, 2015, 10:25:27 pm »

If you're struggling decks that drop lots of little minions at once maybe you want another Shadow Madness? It's really strong against Zoo decks, Mech decks, and slow control decks (because Imp Gang Boss/Harvest Golem/Sludge Belcher).

Can you tell me how, exactly?  I get the synergy with some cards (GP spawns, if you can take a Belcher and kill it for the little dude, Harvest Golem for the extra buddy), but usually you are taking one minion and hopefully trading it with another, removing two at one go.  I find it underwhelming when there aren't any of its synergy cards.

I usually find myself hoping to draw my Lightbomb.  Maybe I should run a second one.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: June 01, 2015, 03:25:05 pm »

Can you tell me how, exactly?  I get the synergy with some cards (GP spawns, if you can take a Belcher and kill it for the little dude, Harvest Golem for the extra buddy), but usually you are taking one minion and hopefully trading it with another, removing two at one go.  I find it underwhelming when there aren't any of its synergy cards.

I usually find myself hoping to draw my Lightbomb.  Maybe I should run a second one.

You seem to understand why it's good, but don't think it's good enough? I find people run the cards it's good against often enough that it always gets something to play and steal some benefit with (even when all you get is a straight 2 for 1 trade I'd say that's good enough).

The cards that it's good against are really common in today's meta.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 02, 2015, 03:19:14 pm »

Well, why not play PO before Doomguard?
Or like, just trade in the voidcaller and take the 50/50 chance of calling Mal'ganis over Doomguard. I'm pretty sure that has a higher chance of working than hoping Doomguard doesn't discard either the PO or Mal'ganis.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 29, 2015, 12:23:30 am »

Mysterious Challenger has seemed pretty good from what I've seen. I'm also seeing it a LOT on ladder, to the point where I'm considering adding flare to my hunter deck to combat it. I'm not sure the deck is prevalent enough to justify it, but it seems like one of the most common early TGT decks.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 12:25:30 am by Twistedarcher »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 29, 2015, 12:43:10 am »

Mysterious Challenger defo seemed like one of the most promising cards in the set

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #574 on: August 29, 2015, 04:20:57 am »

Mysterious Challenger has seemed pretty good from what I've seen. I'm also seeing it a LOT on ladder, to the point where I'm considering adding flare to my hunter deck to combat it. I'm not sure the deck is prevalent enough to justify it, but it seems like one of the most common early TGT decks.

Hunter seems to have a pretty easy time against that deck in general, so I'm not sure if the Flare is necessary.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 44  All

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 21 queries.