Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 44  All

Author Topic: Constructed General Discussion  (Read 270412 times)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: Constructed General Discussion
« Reply #425 on: March 16, 2015, 11:24:56 pm »

Kolento is top 1 EU with double shadow madness recombobulator x1.  Toldja HME

Kolento is often #1 with bad decks because he's #1 before he starts playing them.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 16, 2015, 11:37:05 pm »

Yeah, I'm not a fan of all out aggro decks. The good aggro decks have a way to come back if they don't work perfectly. This version of hunter just loses if it can't win fast enough.

I think this is a bit of an odd way to look at aggro decks. Aggro decks are supposed to rush the opponent down before they have a chance to stabilize, and they're supposed to lose if they can't win fast enough. The most important aspect of an aggro deck in my eyes is how often it can win fast enough, not what happens if it doesn't win fast enough -- and face hunter is very good at winning fast enough.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 17, 2015, 10:41:36 am »

Kolento is top 1 EU with double shadow madness recombobulator x1.  Toldja HME

Kolento is often #1 with bad decks because he's #1 before he starts playing them.
uh huhhhhhh

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 17, 2015, 01:09:32 pm »

Face Hunter is among the strongest decks at the moment, maybe even the strongest deck, although it does have counters (like Control Warrior). It's not just game length that makes it a good ladder choice.

I would certainly run 2x Eaglehorn in any version of the deck though, as it's the best card in the deck: at least 6 damage from one card, threatening 9+ with a trap, which can be split up to bash down small taunts, and all that for only 3 mana. It's certainly better than Reckless Rocketeer, which only represents 5 damage if it gets removed before attacking again, and costs a whopping 6 mana.

Example cuts I've seen are dropping 1 Animal Companion (as it's merely OK if you don't roll Huffer) or dropping 1 Infiltrator.

Cool, I swapped the Eaglehorn back in minusing the Reckless. Your math convinced me. I tried dropping an Infiltrator for a Snake Trap too, so that Mad Scientist has something to draw if Explosive is already out and to increase the chances of 9 damage Eaglehorn. I like the Animal Companions too much to cut one.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 17, 2015, 05:33:29 pm »

Face Hunter is among the strongest decks at the moment, maybe even the strongest deck, although it does have counters (like Control Warrior). It's not just game length that makes it a good ladder choice.

I would certainly run 2x Eaglehorn in any version of the deck though, as it's the best card in the deck: at least 6 damage from one card, threatening 9+ with a trap, which can be split up to bash down small taunts, and all that for only 3 mana. It's certainly better than Reckless Rocketeer, which only represents 5 damage if it gets removed before attacking again, and costs a whopping 6 mana.

Example cuts I've seen are dropping 1 Animal Companion (as it's merely OK if you don't roll Huffer) or dropping 1 Infiltrator.

Cool, I swapped the Eaglehorn back in minusing the Reckless. Your math convinced me. I tried dropping an Infiltrator for a Snake Trap too, so that Mad Scientist has something to draw if Explosive is already out and to increase the chances of 9 damage Eaglehorn. I like the Animal Companions too much to cut one.

So I gave this a shot, as I like fast decks, and I had mixed results.

I'm running two Eaglehorns, Leeroy, and I swapped in Mukla for one of the UTHs.  My favorite win was getting Paladin down to maybe 8 life after he had mustered, then he dropped quartermaster.  Instead of going face, I traded something into the QM to get it down to 2 life and played Explosive Trap.  Then I just didn't drop any minions, going hero power only.

He knew, so he didn't attack and kept building his board instead.  But he dropped all small life minions, and I was way ahead on life, so I just kept shooting him.  Eventually he had a full board with Sludge Belcher and a bunch of other stuff, so I dropped Arcane Golem and UTH and won.

Mukla is as unimpressive as you'd imagine, and he's not useful if you don't draw him in your opening hand.  I'll swap him back out, I think.  Mad Scientist hasn't played at all for me yet.  It is fun though.  And knowing you've basically lost if it's T8 and you don't have insane pressure on your opponent is nice, since you can resign and move on.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 17, 2015, 07:44:21 pm »

If you want another trap for Mad Scientist to trigger, I think Misdirection or Freezing might be better than Snake. I'd put the edge towards Freezing - given how short your games are, it's either hard removal because they don't have time to replay it, or you were going to lose anyways.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 17, 2015, 07:51:04 pm »

I'll give both those traps a try. Snake has been good when I had it, but Freezing might be better.

@ash: My favourite wins with this deck are the scummiest ones. When you've completely lost the board, they have something like a Sludge Belcher, Sylvanas and a Sunwalker, you've got nothing but a Haunted Creeper in your hand, and then you top deck a Kill Command and cast everything + Hero power for the win.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 17, 2015, 08:56:00 pm »
+1

@ash: My favourite wins with this deck are the scummiest ones. When you've completely lost the board, they have something like a Sludge Belcher, Sylvanas and a Sunwalker, you've got nothing but a Haunted Creeper in your hand, and then you top deck a Kill Command and cast everything + Hero power for the win.

Fixed. :)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 18, 2015, 01:11:26 pm »

You mean "my wins are the scummiest ones".

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 18, 2015, 01:18:59 pm »

:) Obviously.

I like "scummy" wins because it usually just means your deck was well built enough to feel like you are winning unfairly. When really your deck just follows a strong strategy that the other deck doesn't deal well with. This is also why I like Tech card wins. The swing you get from successfully playing a situational card like a Kezan Mystic (or Harrison or Black Knight or BGH etc) is too good.

(Specifically playing a Mystic to steal the first Duplicate when it's the first secret feels pretty good, as you know they have more than one secret as no one runs a lone Duplicate.)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: March 18, 2015, 01:32:35 pm »

This facehunter has not been pulling wowo results for me.  Anyone who randomly puts Antique Healbot in autowins, there's nonzero numbers of control warriors, and everyone has double sludge belcher.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 18, 2015, 05:33:17 pm »

This facehunter has not been pulling wowo results for me.  Anyone who randomly puts Antique Healbot in autowins, there's nonzero numbers of control warriors, and everyone has double sludge belcher.

I usually chew right through back to back belchers without pause. I also have detroyed Paladins using healbots and multiple heal spells so I am not getting these type of results at all. So far I am getting around a 70 percent win rate.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 18, 2015, 05:43:18 pm »

I usually chew right through back to back belchers without pause. I also have detroyed Paladins using healbots and multiple heal spells so I am not getting these type of results at all. So far I am getting around a 70 percent win rate.
How are you not running out of gas against a 44 health opponent( double sludge)? Are you supposed to mulligan everything that costs less than 3?

(For the record, a Paladin using healbot and heal spells is possibly easier than a Paladin just using healbot.  Both Holy Light and LoH are lower card quality than the bot imo)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:23:07 pm by popsofctown »

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 18, 2015, 06:45:47 pm »

Rank 17 adventures:

It's turn 3, I have Zombie Chow + Ancient Watcher + Deathlord against an empty board. My opponent plays Equality + Coin + Hero Power. I play Wailing Soul.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 18, 2015, 06:49:37 pm »

Rank 17 adventures:

It's turn 3, I have Zombie Chow + Ancient Watcher + Deathlord against an empty board. My opponent plays Equality + Coin + Hero Power. I play Wailing Soul.

Lol, I've been thinking of putting together a Wailing Soul deck that would have all of those cards. Is yours based on Firebat's Wailing Soul Druid deck?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 18, 2015, 07:09:50 pm »

Rank 17 adventures:

lol.  I don't think Wailing Soul is the only reason his play was poor, although putting all three of those out there telegraphed it.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 18, 2015, 08:10:39 pm »

Rank 17 adventures:

Lol, I've been thinking of putting together a Wailing Soul deck that would have all of those cards. Is yours based on Firebat's Wailing Soul Druid deck?
Nah, it's a Priest deck, though maybe Druid would be a better fit. I went with Priest because of the 0 mana Silence being an okay activator for Wild Pyro, except later I took out both of those cards. :P

I just played against a Freeze Mage, it didn't go well for her.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:12:35 pm by ycz6 »

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 18, 2015, 09:58:54 pm »
+1

How are you not running out of gas against a 44 health opponent( double sludge)? Are you supposed to mulligan everything that costs less than 3?

(For the record, a Paladin using healbot and heal spells is possibly easier than a Paladin just using healbot.  Both Holy Light and LoH are lower card quality than the bot imo)

Just played 11 games in 30 minutes. I lost 2. One was bad draw the other was better aggro than me.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 19, 2015, 06:45:11 am »

Took my "Tard Face" deck from rank 20 to 10 before finding resistance. Still won 4 of 6 games this morning but the meta is clearly different up here. Also running into this exact same deck more frequently.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 19, 2015, 10:02:40 am »
+1

Took my "Tard Face" deck from rank 20 to 10 before finding resistance. Still won 4 of 6 games this morning but the meta is clearly different up here. Also running into this exact same deck more frequently.

And then I just lost 10 games in a row, 3 of them were the same deck I was running. 2 of those I had the opponent down to 1 health.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 19, 2015, 08:38:30 pm »

omg, I just beat a control warrior with this thing.  How can anyone be that bad at control warrior?

EDIT: Kezan mystic meta how do i even deal
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:00:36 pm by popsofctown »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 19, 2015, 10:41:25 pm »

omg, I just beat a control warrior with this thing.  How can anyone be that bad at control warrior?

Kezan is almost an instant wins vs hunter. Or at least makes the odds highly into favour when I play my warrior deck

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 20, 2015, 12:47:41 pm »

Kezan is almost an instant wins vs hunter. Or at least makes the odds highly into favour when I play my warrior deck
Warrior is such a natural counter to hunter that any card that is any sort of tech at all should be instant win, you were on the verge of victory before anyone drew any cards.  Antique Healbot, the second Whirlwind, or just an ooze or Harrison should secure the same wins without blowing up your other matchups as much as a 4 mana 4/3

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 21, 2015, 10:58:10 pm »
+1

I like "scummy" wins

Vote: Jorbles

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 01, 2015, 07:17:11 pm »

There's really no Control Hunter, right?

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 44  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.