Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44  All

Author Topic: Constructed General Discussion  (Read 270516 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Constructed General Discussion
« Reply #300 on: December 15, 2014, 02:36:52 pm »

I drafted a Shadowform in a Priest Arena game and it won me every game I got it early in. Is it viable in Constructed? I have two of them, but don't have a lot of the other priest Rare/Epics.

It's really slow in constructed, and with all the aggro I think Priest really needs the healing. Maybe if you want to try a shadow Priest, but those are more joke decks than competitive decks.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 15, 2014, 02:37:56 pm »

I drafted a Shadowform in a Priest Arena game and it won me every game I got it early in. Is it viable in Constructed? I have two of them, but don't have a lot of the other priest Rare/Epics.

Shadowform is generally considered to be terrible.  It's too slow, and arena is the best place to try to get away with being too slow.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 15, 2014, 02:49:05 pm »

Shadowform is generally considered to be terrible.  It's too slow, and arena is the best place to try to get away with being too slow.

That's kinda what I thought, but I had so much fun with it, I was hoping someone would tell me otherwise. In Arena it's pretty good in any game you have good aoe (I had Mechanical Sheep, Abomination), you fall behind when you cast it turn 2 or 3 and then catch up by board wiping with your AOE spells/minions.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 22, 2014, 02:41:54 pm »

So I just opened a Malorne. What should I do with it? Is it a key card in any type of deck?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 22, 2014, 02:49:48 pm »

So I just opened a Malorne. What should I do with it? Is it a key card in any type of deck?

I'd keep it, just because it's a legendary. I'm not sure it fits into anything yet, but it's fun, and I think it'll be worth to have later.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 22, 2014, 04:53:52 pm »

It's a big body, and can act as multiple threat cards if you're getting through most of your deck. But it's probably worse as a late game minion than Boom, Rag, Cenarius, Ysera, Alex, and Sneed. So depending on how many of those you own and how many late game threats you want to run, you *might* be able to use it in a ramp deck.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 23, 2014, 01:17:55 pm »

It's a big body, and can act as multiple threat cards if you're getting through most of your deck. But it's probably worse as a late game minion than Boom, Rag, Cenarius, Ysera, Alex, and Sneed. So depending on how many of those you own and how many late game threats you want to run, you *might* be able to use it in a ramp deck.

I have Cenarius who I run in one of my Druid decks, but don't have those others. I'm not really sure I have enough late game legendaries for a proper ramp, but I'll toss it in for a bit and play around with it. Right when I'm done playing around with these new Jeeves decks... the mage version is really fun, and I think it's time for me to try out a rogue version.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 23, 2014, 01:22:11 pm »

I have Cenarius who I run in one of my Druid decks, but don't have those others. I'm not really sure I have enough late game legendaries for a proper ramp, but I'll toss it in for a bit and play around with it. Right when I'm done playing around with these new Jeeves decks... the mage version is really fun, and I think it's time for me to try out a rogue version.

If you have the other pieces of a top heavy ramp deck (3 or 4 Ancients, Force of Nature, plus a few dates), I'd say Cenarius/Malorne should be plenty of late legends, especially since if the game somehow lasts a really long time, you'll likely play Malorne twice...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 23, 2014, 01:23:22 pm »

(I run my ramp deck with Rag, Onyxia, 3 Ancients, and the awesome Force-Tank MAX)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 23, 2014, 01:40:23 pm »

If you have the other pieces of a top heavy ramp deck (3 or 4 Ancients, Force of Nature, plus a few dates), I'd say Cenarius/Malorne should be plenty of late legends, especially since if the game somehow lasts a really long time, you'll likely play Malorne twice...

No Force of Nature and only 1 of each Ancient so I think my late game isn't good enough. I've got the early game pieces though. It's the sort of thing that I'll build if I get the cards in packs, but I haven't wanted to craft any of the other Epic pieces needed. Maybe I will eventually if I get one more of the pieces, but 800-1600 dust is a lot for me to spend on this deck even if I've already got the Legendaries needed.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 23, 2014, 02:57:55 pm »
+2

Ancient of Lore is probably worth crafting if you want to play any Druid deck at all. It's just one of the most obscenely powerful cards in the game.

You don't technically need Force of Nature. In a ramp deck, it's just a secondary win condition or potentially removal. You can have your win condition just be your big minions (and Facelesses), and use Starfall to replace the removal.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 23, 2014, 04:12:45 pm »

So many good late game epics. Ancients and Giants, and now all those cool GvG cards. So much dust needed to craft them all. At least I have my 2 Recombobulators and 1 Sky Golem.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 23, 2014, 04:18:18 pm »

So many good late game epics. Ancients and Giants, and now all those cool GvG cards. So much dust needed to craft them all. At least I have my 2 Recombobulators and 1 Sky Golem.

Yeah, I'm starting to think it's more important for decks to craft Epics than Legendaries. I don't think I'll ever have a complete Legendary set so I'm just going to accept that and use my dust for Epics.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 23, 2014, 05:22:47 pm »

My Ramp runs these Legendaries: Loatheb, Cairn, Maexxna, Troggzor, Kel'Thuzad, and Alex.

I have double Ancient of Lore, and use one FON.

That seems like enough.  I'd like a Sylvanus/Rag maybe, but not sure if it's worth crafting.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 23, 2014, 05:44:06 pm »

Yeah, I'm starting to think it's more important for decks to craft Epics than Legendaries. I don't think I'll ever have a complete Legendary set so I'm just going to accept that and use my dust for Epics.

There are only a few legendaries that completely anchor decks and are absolutely needed for that style:
Grommash, and to a lesser extent Antonidas and Jaraxxus. Tirion is also huge for Paladin. Then there's Alexstrasza for any control deck that is likely to not deal any face damage for the first 8 turns and Leeroy for the OTKs. Beyond that, you want Dr. Boom and/or Rag for general purpose bigness. Ysera if your deck can push it that late, but it's not nearly as generally useful. Thalnos and Sylvanas are more generally useful and probably craftworty. Harrison is the current big tech card since there's so much control Warrior, Jaraxxus, and Muster for Battle. But pre-GvG, the Black Knight was the big one for Sludge Belchers and taunting giants. And there's Geddon too for cleaning up aggro.

If you have Vol'jin, Edwin, Cenarius or Gallywix, you probably use them, but you're probably not dying to craft any of them. You also might prefer to craft legendaries that can anchor some other type of less good deck that you want to play, like Malygos, Deathwing, Mal'ganis, Neptulon, Gazlowe, Toshley, Leeroy, Mimiron, Velen... but getting a complete collection doesn't seem that worthwhile.

I'd say you're "done" when you have:
Boom, Rag, Alex, Grommash, Sylvanas, Antonidas, Jaraxxus, Tirion, Thalnos, Leeroy, Harrison, Black Knight, and Geddon, plus whatever specific gimmick ones you like (and of course Loatheb, but you don't craft him). Obviously you can skip the ones for archetypes you don't like playing (I dusted my Leeroy, and it doesn't bother me).

The highest priority epics are BGH for any control deck, Lore/Force for Druid, Shield Slam/Brawl for Warrior, Mountain/Molten for Handlock, Cabal for Priest, Ice Block/Doomsayer/Pyroblast for freeze Mage, Prep for Miracle, probably Quartermaster for Paladin, Doomhammer for Shaman, Snake Trap for Aggro Hunter, and maybe Faceless for control decks if you can't afford all the Legendaries you want. Feign Death and Sabotage are also going to be pretty staple though not as critical for their decks as the others.

Note that you can craft 4 epics for the price of one Legendary, so all 4 giants is like just one Legendary, and makes a deck much more so than some mediocre Legendary like Cairne.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 23, 2014, 06:08:26 pm »

Do you craft Rag or Boom first?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 23, 2014, 06:40:48 pm »

So I opened the rogue's new Epic--Cogmaster's Wrench--as a golden.  1/3 weapon, 3/3 if you have a mech, for 3 mana, just seems... awful.  That could be a more useful epic or another legendary.  Any thoughts, is this likely to see play in constructed?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 23, 2014, 06:43:10 pm »

So I opened the rogue's new Epic--Cogmaster's Wrench--as a golden.  1/3 weapon, 3/3 if you have a mech, for 3 mana, just seems... awful.  That could be a more useful epic or another legendary.  Any thoughts, is this likely to see play in constructed?

You probably put one in a mech rogue deck. If you don't plan to play Rogue, since it's not super strong, then I'd say there are better Epics. Quatermaster comes to mind, Cabal too.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 23, 2014, 11:50:49 pm »

Boom. While Rag deals damage the turn he comes out, Boom comes out a turn sooner. He also can't totally whiff.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 23, 2014, 11:54:59 pm »

3/3 for 3 is good and mech rogue seems like a thing -- Jeeves is like a more playable Sprint, and rogue is very good with low mana cards. I'd give it a shot if I had it.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 24, 2014, 12:36:46 pm »

I've played against two mill decks this morning, running ETC + Coldlight oracle + Dancing swords + Mukla + Clockwork giants. One was a rogue running saps and kidnappers as removal, the other was a druid running grove tenders and naturalize. Neither won, but they were fun to play against and seemed semi-viable.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 24, 2014, 12:52:03 pm »

I've played against two mill decks this morning, running ETC + Coldlight oracle + Dancing swords + Mukla + Clockwork giants. One was a rogue running saps and kidnappers as removal, the other was a druid running grove tenders and naturalize. Neither won, but they were fun to play against and seemed semi-viable.
I encountered a few Druids doing the same. One even had 2 Trees of Life. They also ran a Poison Seeds. I won one of them and lost the other. Aggro is tough matchup for those decks I think. Even Deathlord works with what the deck is trying to do.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 24, 2014, 12:56:59 pm »

What's funny is that even those mill decks don't want to run Goblin Sapper. The 3 mana spot is filled with Dancing Swords and Grove Tender for Druid already.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 24, 2014, 01:42:51 pm »

Boom. While Rag deals damage the turn he comes out, Boom comes out a turn sooner. He also can't totally whiff.
Boom doesn't really whiff. Quite the opposite, sometimes luck has the Boom Bots do way more than they should. Just now, I had 2 Boom Bots vs. a SI:7 Agent and a Shattered Sun Cleric that buffed the agent. I rammed one bot into the cleric, and it's deathrattle did 4 damage to the agent, killing it. the other bot finishes off the cleric and does face damage. Felt bad for my opponent there.

I guess it's an example of annoying RNG like that, but Dr. Boom is at least a 9/7 spread across 1 big unit and 2 tiny ones (not counting 1 health from Boom Bot health as a stat, as they usually just suicide into stuff on the first turn they can attack).

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 30, 2014, 08:17:25 pm »

I encountered a few Druids doing the same. One even had 2 Trees of Life. They also ran a Poison Seeds. I won one of them and lost the other. Aggro is tough matchup for those decks I think. Even Deathlord works with what the deck is trying to do.

This deck is all the rage lately. It's had several reddit threads and streamers running it. I just built it (no legendaries!) and it's actually doing fairly well -- I've had 2/2 opponents rage quit so far.

Decklist I'm using is at http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/140918-natural-remedies
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:19:10 pm by Twistedarcher »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 44  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.