Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Princing the Prizes  (Read 5524 times)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
Princing the Prizes
« on: June 16, 2014, 07:49:17 pm »
+6

This is for you, LFN.

At first I thought this thread said, "Princing the Prizes".

So generally I think Princing Prizes is not going to be a thing, since it involves having already bought Tournament and Province, and succesfully collided them, and then spending another $8 on Prince at some point, and having *that* collide with the Prize (or maybe you Butchered your Province into a Prince - interesting ...). By which time, your opponent has grabbed two Prizes of her own and moved onto emptying the Provinces. However, which Prizes are worth Princing should you get the opportunity?

Diadem, obviously not.
Followers, almost certainly, and that's going to make the game crazily quick after that point.
Trusty Steed, also almost certainly. It would probably also be the one time its Silver gaining could be fast enough to make for a decent Feodum strategy.
Princess, yes unless you're trying some tricksy TfB strategy.
Bag of Gold ... eh? Maybe not so much, since your engine already has a decent source of cash if you've gotten this far, so Golds probably aren't so great unless they're TfB fodder.

So the order of preference for Princing Prizes probably primarily preserves the preferred permutation (sorry, once I got to "Princing Prizes" I knew I had to keep going).

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Princing the Prizes
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 07:54:47 pm »

Personally, I almost think it is better to Prince Tournament and win all the prizes and get a lot of Duchies.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 07:55:57 pm »

Personally, I almost think it is better to Prince Tournament and win all the prizes and get a lot of Duchies.

Until Prince becomes dead, i.e. when everyone else has a Province every hand.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 08:34:49 pm »

Maybe he Princed a Militia encouraging players to discard VPs.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 10:28:10 pm »

There are a few times I could see where Prince & Prize might be generally viable:
1. When you pull Tournament out of the Black Market deck. Tournament tends to make for fast games as provinces also collide with with Tournaments to give you duchy points. If you get it from the Bm deck, odds are your opponent has either done something else strong with the kingdom cards, so you need a longer game (Prince/Followers being a strong shot) or has gotten something nice of their own from the Bm deck (e.g. a Chapel, Goons, or a Trader on a Feodum board) giving you time and motive to set up the big combo. Particularly if looks like you need to beat a 5:3 or 6:2 split, Princing Followers ensures that your opponent has 3 card hands for the rest of the game (increasing odds that you can play Tournament unblock), gives you a large starting hand, and gives a net 2 point swing per hand. If I'm on the wrong side of a 4:
2. Colony games. Tossing a Province & Tournament into an already built engine is just a bit harder than buying a single Colony.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 12:16:00 am »

They are not mutually exclusive. When I first started playtesting, there were several games where someone would Prince one card (e.g. Spy) to help them Prince another card (e.g. Mercenary). Granted, Prince was a shiny new card and we were probably being Prince Idiots, but I'm sure it's sometimes worth doing.

Prince of Oracles takes a long time to resolve each turn, but it's likely one of the best Princes for getting to the Prince you really want.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 12:18:57 am »

If everyone else has a Province every hand, the game is probably near over, and even then your Prince of Tournaments gives you an action every turn, and a prize or Duchy every time you draw your own Province.  I can imagine boards where Prince of Tournaments is a good plan because it guarantees every Province you draw connects.  The Province you passed up for your Prince could be more than made up in free Duchies.  Whether you buy Prince before or after Province(s) depends on just how important the Prizes are on that particular board. 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +263
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 12:50:15 am »
+4

I didn't realize that this is another thread until now.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 09:42:32 am »

yeah. I read the title correctly, as princing, but then said to myself "No, stop it! It's pricing!"

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 12:04:21 pm »

Even then it's a Village.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 12:12:11 pm »

yeah. I read the title correctly, as princing, but then said to myself "No, stop it! It's pricing!"

Me too...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Lotoreo

• Baron
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 04:40:19 am »

I did not think it would be allowed to prince prizes. I mean, they cost 0* coins. Is 0* really <= 4 coins?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 04:49:26 am »
+5

I did not think it would be allowed to prince prizes. I mean, they cost 0* coins. Is 0* really <= 4 coins?

They cost 0 coins. The * is just a reminder it can't be bought.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 08:50:01 am »
+9

The very first game with Prince I played (actually with blank cards as pretend prince, because this was just after the card was revealed) my opponent had a Princed Princess.

Yes, that 8 should have been another Province, but we were obviously both eager to try out the fancy new thing, and it felt really thematically good to have the Prince and the Princess together.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 01:42:55 pm »

Thread Necromancy!  I just princed Trusty Steed and it basically won me the game, but the sequence to get there involved some ridiculous luck, so I'm not sure of my strategy at all.  I had hoped to use Prince of Tournament as the only available village, with the side benefit of giving me a collision whenever I draw Province.  Losing the curse split 7-3 put all my plans out the window (my opponent opened Feast/Watchtower and topdecked Witch on turn 3, I didn't buy one until a shuffle later), but prince of Steed made me super-flexible down the stretch and enabled a big comeback.  I freely admit I had no business winning that game after the early curse split, I really just came here to say Prince of Steed is crazy fun. 

Including the ugly log link because prettifier doesn't know about Prince yet...
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140903/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1409764805444.txt
http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20140903/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1409764805444.txt
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.097 seconds with 22 queries.