Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Dominion - Reverence  (Read 25398 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
Dominion - Reverence
« on: June 16, 2014, 12:55:05 pm »
+5

This is the current version of my fan expansion: "Reverence". The theme of the set is "conditional effects," which means things that you need to work for to make them happen. Nothing new, but there are some things left to do. This set doesn't use any new mechanics, and no Kingdom cards from other expansions are referenced, so you only need the base cards to use it. Art and image design by Showdown35. The stars indicate how much confidence I currently have in the card.

Some cards use the key word "dig", which means this. It's a term not defined by official cards, but it should be, because a lot them do it, and always spell it out.

The cards:

Prayer
Types: Action
Cost: 0$*
+3 Cards. +1 Action. Discard a card. Return this to the Prayer Pile (This is not in the Supply.)
The set's one-shot. Just like spoils, it's not in the supply, so it can only be gained by cards that reference the pile.
Believer ★★★★★★☆☆☆☆
Cost: 2$
When you buy this or play it, choose an Action card you have in play. If it is not a Believer, put it into your hand or on top of your deck, your choice.
An innocent-looking but crazy strong Throne Room variant.

FAQ:
If you target a duration that you played this turn, Believer stays in play as a reminder that you played it. Whether you put the card on your deck, in your hand, play it again or not makes no difference, Believer always stays out. Likewise, it doesn't matter if the effect is triggered on-play or on-buy, it always stays out.

If you target a duration from last turn, Believer doesn't stay out, because that duration would not have affected your next turn.
Temple ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
+1 Action. Name a card. Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Set aside all matches, discard them immediately after the next time you shuffle your deck. Put the rest back in any order.
A card trying to utilize the "super discard pile" idea. You can remove dead cards from your deck, and they even stay out for another shuffle.
Royal Sanctum ★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Cost: 3$
Dig for an Action card that's not a Royal Sanctum. Play it twice. If you have more cards in hand than in play, return this to the supply.
Another Throne Room variant. Just like Believer, it's a lot stronger than it looks, maybe too strong.
Monastery ★★★★★★★★★☆
Cost: 4$
+1 Card. +1 Action. If you have exactly 5 cards in hand, you may trash a card from your hand. If you didn't trash a card, +1 Action.
A village that can trash. Pretty average powerlevel.
Shrine ★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Gain a card costing up to 4$. You may trash this. If you do, trash a card from your hand per Action card you have in play.
A workshop that can trash. If you want to keep it, you can use it go gain a copy of itself before sacrificing it.
Crusade ★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
+2 Cards. Reveal your hand. If at least half of it are copies of crusade and cards that cost 0$, +1 Action.
A card... thing.
Zealot ★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
+2$
Dig for an Acolyte card. If no cards where discarded, play it. Otherwise put it on top of your deck.
---
The first player go gain a Zealot chooses an Action card pile from the Supply. Cards from that pile are Acolyte cards.
Kind of a mix of conspirator and Scavenger, but also its own card.
Sacred Village ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
+2 Cards. Set your number of unused Actions to 2. Discard a card per Action gained this way.
Credit for the idea goes to Scott Pilgrim. This card can be draw, sifter, or village, depending on your current Action count.
Holy Ground ★★★★★★★★☆☆
Types: Action, Reaction
Cost: 5$
+1 Action. Reveal then discard any number of cards. +1 Card per card discarded. If you revealed a Treasure, an Action, and a Victory card, gain a Prayer from the Prayer Pile.
--
When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a Prayer from the Prayer pile, putting it into your hand.
A cellar variant. With a lot of text. Maybe too much? I like to think that the mechanic is simple, but being a reaction takes a lot of space, as does referencing another pile. This card suffers from doing both.
Inquisition ★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Types: Action, Attack
+2$. Each other player gains a curse. Each player who does may trash a card from his hand costing 3$ or more. If he does, he trashes the curse and draws a card.
Priestess ★★★★★★★★☆☆
Reveal your hand. +1 Card per differently priced card in it.
A rather innocent terminal draw.
Grail ★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Types: Treasure
Worth 2$
+1 buy
While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a Silver.
A silver that gains more silvers. It's pretty strong.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 06:35:11 pm by silverspawn »

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion - Reverence
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 01:41:40 pm »
+1

Overall comment: I think you are making things too easy on the players. Maybe that's the intent, to have cards that play better casually. But it seems to me you are avoiding lots of downsides with options, optional effects, and such. I think its good to have non-obvious downsides (like forced gaining or trashing).

Monastery ★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
+1 Card. +1 Action. If you have exactly 5 cards in your hand, you may trash a card from your hand. If you don't, +1 Action.

This seems too powerful. cantrip trashing seems already good for $4, and this more or less turns into a village for later. I think it needs to cost $5.

Fundamentalist ★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Cost: 3$g
+2$. Choose one: Put a card from your hand on top of your deck; or trash the top 2 cards from a supply pile that is not a victory pile; or gain a silver; or each player (including you) gains a copper.

Is trashing from a non-victory pile really worth all that text? Its probably pretty good for rushes, but it does not feel like you will stop an engine just by trashing their piles (at least in 2p). Maybe it is good for rushing Duchies even without alt-VP? I guess the bottom-line is that I don't see great appeal in the card. If it were not wordy, that is not  a problem, but I personally need a good reason for a wordy card.

Holy Ground ★★★★★★★★☆☆
+1 Action. Discard any number of cards. +1 Card per card discarded. If an Action, a Treasure, and a Victory card were discarded, gain a Prayer from the Prayer Pile.
--
When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a Prayer from the Prayer pile, putting it into your hand.

You need to make it "reveal then discard" for accountability of the Prayer gaining (when you discard more than one card, you are only forced to reveal one of them). Since the gain is not optional, you need to reveal every time (its probably easier to always reveal anyway than to have a reveal as reaction thing like Tunnel). The condition is a bit complicated. Is that necessary? Maybe just Action and Treasure are enough, since you want to discard Victory cards anyway. Moreover, I would try to change it to just one card. Like "If you discard a card costing $4 or more" or similar. If you do it with just one, you can separate it. "You may discard ..... If you do, +1 Card and gain ....." and then just Cellar. Maybe separating the part of the effect that produces the gain for conditions on more than one card would be nice as well, though it would combo less with dual-types (not a big deal, being outside Intrigue).
I do not like that the Reaction has absolutely nothing to do with Attacks. Most Reactions to Attacks help fight at least some kinds of Attack to some extent. This does not decrease your handsize, nor puts cards to trash on your deck, nor avoids junk. I guess Prayer to hand helps with deck-mocking attacks (Spy-like), but seems a bit weak (not in general, just weak as defense, since its the weakest kind of Attack). I would try at least an HT like set aside and gain the Prayer later, which would defend against spy and discard Attacks to some extent.

Replace ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. You may reveal a card costing up to 3$ more than the trashed card. If you do, gain a copy of the revealed card.

You are missing the cost $4 in the quoted text. Really an Engine card, but possibly not strong enough. I would start with up to $4 more and maybe even cost it $3 (though costing $3 makes it weaker for Province gaining, but that can be fine, especially with the power-up) then lower it if its too much, because if its OP, it will be obvious faster when playtesting (and it will make players buy it more without requiring them to).

Shrine ★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Choose one: Gain a card costing up to 4$; or trash up to one card from your hand for every two Action cards you have in play then trash this

This is also missing cost $4 in the quoted text.
I would go with "you may" and "if you don't" instead of choose one. Also, the trashing condition seems complicated. I would just trash Shrine first and then trash a card per Action in play (maybe exactly instead of up to, if you need some nerf). Being terminal, making the trash non-optional gives interesting decision on whether to leave your non-terminals unplayed, if you have cards you would like to keep.

Believer ★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
You may choose an Action card you have in Play that is not a Believer. Put it in your hand or on top of your deck.
--
When you buy this, you may put an Action card you have in Play on top of your deck.
[/quote]

This seems really fun. Also complicated to track and to play properly, and possibly complicates keeping track of stuff. This is the card I like best, although probably works only for advanced. The may in the main part is probably unnecessary (an indication of my overall comment). I would also remove the may for on-buy. Mandatory effects are usually better, I think as a rule of thumbs is best to only use "you may" when the opposite is clearly wrong for some reason.

Inquisition ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
+2$. Each player may trash a card from his hand costing at least 3$. If you do, gain a Prayer from the Prayer pile, putting it on top of your deck. Each other player that doesn't gains a Curse.

Seems weak for a Curser, but weak Cursers can be fine. +$2 and curse the opponents is a bit weak (weaker than Witch in general). This comes with a bane. The Prayer gaining does not seem strong enough to justify it. As a Curser, I think its weaker than Witch/MB/Cultitst, but possibly better than Soothsayer (quite different to compare, though). The Attack seems deffinitely nastier than Soothsayer's (considering both bane here and Soothsayer's card-drawing compensation). The bonus here is a bit weaker in general, and a lot weaker for BM, but can even be stronger for many Engines.

Temple ★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Set aside any number of cards from your hand on your temple mat.
---
Whenever you play an Action card, if the number of cards in your hand matches the number of cards on your temple mat,  you may draw a card. Whenever you buy a card, discard a card from your Temple mat.

Are the "Whenever"s supposed to be active all the time or only when there is a Temple in play? If the former, put a while this is in play. If the latter, you need some indication like "in games using this". Also, if you were expecting to draw several cards in case several Temple's are in play, you need different text. If the latter (always in effect), do you draw a card after an empty hand even if no Temple's were bought? I would say "yes please", since it is nice to alter the game rules once in a while (like Baker), and this is a difficult enough to use alteration that even if its crazy some times it is worth having. In summary, I would have the below-the-line clause always in effect and add a "In games using this" to clarify that. If you want to avoid the drawing from an empty hand and mat, you need to state it has to be more than zero. Clarifiying that even zero works in the card text could be worth it too, since its natural to doubt it. Once again, I would make the drawing non-optional, since you are triggering yourself by playing an Action. It is better to have more things to consider. You can add the "may" later if it feels too disruptive (I don't think it will be, and harder play is often better).

The problem is that the Action effect seems uninteresting. The pseudo-trashing is pretty darn good, may even be too good (considring chapel has an "up to 4", maybe you need to cap this as well). This seems like it could be non-terminal, so you can at least use it for mild sifting. Also, do you need to discard things on-buy? Maybe discarding on Temple-play is better, otherwise, seems like something easier to forget. I also don't see the connection, is it always bad to discard things from the Temple mat? Finally, it can make for some pretty swingy openings. Opening Chapel is already swingy. Open Temple Militia and if you draw Temple in T3, you can draw after playing Militia on T4 for extra power, while colliding or drawing Temple after get another step back.

Crusade ★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
+2 Cards. Reveal your hand. If at least half of the cards revealed cost 0$, +1 Action. Each other player may discard his hand. If he discards any card this way, he gains 2 Prayers from the Prayer pile, putting one on top of his deck.

I agree with your own comment here, seems pretty hard to keep activating, and even a deck full of Coppers and actual Labs is not a powerhouse. On top of that, you have a mild penalty with the bonus to the opponents (I don't get the Penalty, why is it there?).

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 01:43:22 pm »
+1

Monastery ★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
+1 Card. +1 Action. If you have exactly 5 cards in your hand, you may trash a card from your hand. If you don't, +1 Action.

I can't tell if "if you don't" means "if you don't have exactly 5 cards", or "if you don't trash".

+2$. Choose one: Put a card from your hand on top of your deck; or trash the top 2 cards from a supply pile that is not a victory pile; or gain a silver; or each player (including you) gains a copper.

This seems a little too complicated, and I don't see people using "everyone gains a Copper" very much; but the main thing I want to point out is, it's too strong for $3. "+$2, gain a Silver" alone is almost Explorer, given that you don't match Explorer with Gold every time you buy it; "+$2, gain a Silver or a bunch of other options" probably needs to be $5 as well.

Shrine ★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Choose one: Gain a card costing up to 4$; or trash up to one card from your hand for every two Action cards you have in play then trash this

The trashing here just seems so weak as to be hardly worth it.

Believer ★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
You may choose an Action card you have in Play that is not a Believer. Put it in your hand or on top of your deck.
--
When you buy this, you may put an Action card you have in Play on top of your deck.

Is this a Throne Room variant? If it's terminal, it looks more like a Scheme variant. Also, its interaction with Duration cards in particular would be super confusing and hard to track IRL.

Temple ★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Set aside any number of cards from your hand on your temple mat.
---
Whenever you play an Action card, if the number of cards in your hand matches the number of cards on your temple mat,  you may draw a card. Whenever you buy a card, discard a card from your Temple mat.

It kind of sounds too fiddly and complicated to be playable? I can't really visualize how it would work.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 02:37:39 pm »

I can't tell if "if you don't" means "if you don't have exactly 5 cards", or "if you don't trash".
the old version had "if you didn't draw a second card" in a new line, it was more clear there. showdown chose to put it in the same line with the new version, I don't really know why and I didn't ask yet. But it's probably best to make it as it was, like so:
"+1 Card
+1 Action
if you have exactly 5 cards in your hand, you may trash...

if you didn't trash ... +1 Action"

This seems a little too complicated, and I don't see people using "everyone gains a Copper" very much; but the main thing I want to point out is, it's too strong for $3. "+$2, gain a Silver" alone is almost Explorer, given that you don't match Explorer with Gold every time you buy it; "+$2, gain a Silver or a bunch of other options" probably needs to be $5 as well.
i thought so too, but it really isn't that strong. you buy it just for silver sometimes, but it's not broken. you can compare it to JoaT, both will gain you a silver, JOAT will draw a card which is worth about as much as +2$, and then JoaT also does two other things. it's decent for BM, but not that amazing.

it is complicated though, it's the most complex card so far. that might kill it. but it's also really flexible.

it is absolutely worth it.

Is this a Throne Room variant? If it's terminal, it looks more like a Scheme variant. Also, its interaction with Duration cards in particular would be super confusing and hard to track IRL.
a normal throne room has a phantom "+1 action." this has a phantom "-1 action" but does the same otherwise, so yea i think it's a throne room variant. but it can obviously do a whole bunch of things that tr can't.

it's a little bit hard to track with durations, but it's not as hard as procession is, and procession didn't die because of it either. i should also mention that i love this card, it's my favorite of the ones I've made, I really think the tracking issues are worth it.

This seems too powerful. cantrip trashing seems already good for $4, and this more or less turns into a village for later. I think it needs to cost $5.
that was my first instinct too, but it seems fine so far. you can't trash with it as much as i expected, because you want to use it as a village pretty quickly, and you can't trash twice in a row. if it's too strong, I'll make it draw only if you don't trash. but as i said, it looked fine so far.

The condition is a bit complicated. Is that necessary? Maybe just Action and Treasure are enough, since you want to discard Victory cards anyway. Moreover, I would try to change it to just one card. Like "If you discard a card costing $4 or more" or similar. If you do it with just one, you can separate it. "You may discard ..... If you do, +1 Card and gain ....." and then just Cellar. Maybe separating the part of the effect that produces the gain for conditions on more than one card would be nice as well, though it would combo less with dual-types (not a big deal, being outside Intrigue).
i don't think it's complicated. it's basically "discard one of every card type to trigger it". it worked really well so far, i don't really see why i should change it. the victory card is not trivial, you don't always have green cards in your deck.

you're probably right about the reveal issue: i'm used to goko where you know every card discarded, but i recall reading that you only have to show the top card irl.

Really an Engine card, but possibly not strong enough. I would start with up to $4 more and maybe even cost it $3 (though costing $3 makes it weaker for Province gaining, but that can be fine, especially with the power-up) then lower it if its too much, because if its OP, it will be obvious faster when playtesting (and it will make players buy it more without requiring them to).
my feeling says it's strong. i might be wrong, but I don't really think i want to test an even stronger version yet.

Seems weak for a Curser, but weak Cursers can be fine. +$2 and curse the opponents is a bit weak (weaker than Witch in general). This comes with a bane. The Prayer gaining does not seem strong enough to justify it. As a Curser, I think its weaker than Witch/MB/Cultitst, but possibly better than Soothsayer (quite different to compare, though). The Attack seems deffinitely nastier than Soothsayer's (considering both bane here and Soothsayer's card-drawing compensation). The bonus here is a bit weaker in general, and a lot weaker for BM, but can even be stronger for many Engines.
these are about my thoughts as well. that's a good thing though, I'd like it being weaker than witch. the dominance of junkers is one of the few aspects i dislike in dominion

I would go with "you may" and "if you don't" instead of choose one.
why?

Also, the trashing condition seems complicated. I would just trash Shrine first and then trash a card per Action in play (maybe exactly instead of up to, if you need some nerf). Being terminal, making the trash non-optional gives interesting decision on whether to leave your non-terminals unplayed, if you have cards you would like to keep.
the first version i tested trashed itself first then counted one for every 2 cards. that seemed like it could use a small buff, but only a small one. trashing one per action card will make it too good. i want you to work for trashing.

changing "up to" to "exactly" is a way to nerf it, but not i way i like very much. also, like holy grounds, I don't really see the need to change it, because it's fun to play with as it is, and I haven't really encountered any big problems yet. you aren't going to use the trashing very often, counting once or twice a game seems fine.

Are the "Whenever"s supposed to be active all the time or only when there is a Temple in play? If the former, put a while this is in play. If the latter, you need some indication like "in games using this".
I don't think that's true. The way I understand it is, if something is written below a horizontal line, it means that it always applies. regardless of that, if it's not clear to you, it may be a good idea to add "in games using this", even if it isn't necessary. there is enough space left.

do you draw a card after an empty hand even if no Temple's were bought?
yes, you do. that's intentional, but not very significant.

The problem is that the Action effect seems uninteresting. The pseudo-trashing is pretty darn good, may even be too good (considring chapel has an "up to 4", maybe you need to cap this as well). This seems like it could be non-terminal, so you can at least use it for mild sifting. Also, do you need to discard things on-buy? Maybe discarding on Temple-play is better, otherwise, seems like something easier to forget. I also don't see the connection, is it always bad to discard things from the Temple mat?

well, the "trashed" cards come back, that's the problem, and it's supposed to be a problem, so yea, the discard isn't optional.

i agree with most of the other problems. as i already said in my opening post, there's a fairly big chance that I'll just have to drop it. basically, if a card isn't fun to play, and doesn't have an obvious fix, i'm not trying to make it work, and rather try a different concept.

(I don't get the Penalty, why is it there?).
it's an idea i've been playing around with for a while now. originally, it was on its own card and an option for yourself, but I ended up using it as a reaction here. it works on this card because, if both players go crusades, and yours won't activate, you can at least salvage your turn, which makes it less swingy. also, prayer costs 0$, so it helps for the next turn

s trashing from a non-victory pile really worth all that text? Its probably pretty good for rushes, but it does not feel like you will stop an engine just by trashing their piles (at least in 2p). Maybe it is good for rushing Duchies even without alt-VP? I guess the bottom-line is that I don't see great appeal in the card. If it were not wordy, that is not  a problem, but I personally need a good reason for a wordy card.

it depends on lots of things. sometimes, trashing the villages is enough to make BM superior to the engine, sometimes it's important to trash curses, or sometimes it can help you to 3pile.

i agree that a wordy card has to be interesting. I find it it interesting, because it's so versatile. but if it doesn't appeal to others, that's a big problem. it's another card that i might just end up removing from the set.

Overall comment: I think you are making things too easy on the players. Maybe that's the intent, to have cards that play better casually. But it seems to me you are avoiding lots of downsides with options, optional effects, and such. I think its good to have non-obvious downsides (like forced gaining or trashing).
i don't know, i find them to be annoying and uninteresting. generally, I would always prefer it if a card has the option to do nothing at all over a forced action that can sometimes be harmful.

I should probably mention that I'm not trying to make an expansion that's just like an official expansion. I would like trashing to be less of an all-or-nothing thing, junking be less dominant, and the games be more complex. that's why i love believer, it's super fun to play but it can get really complicated, just like procession.

thanks both of you for the thoughts!

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 05:19:57 pm »
+1

i thought so too, but it really isn't that strong. you buy it just for silver sometimes, but it's not broken. you can compare it to JoaT, both will gain you a silver, JOAT will draw a card which is worth about as much as +2$, and then JoaT also does two other things. it's decent for BM, but not that amazing.

I still think it needs to cost at least $4. I'd still push for $5, but it's worth testing at both.

And no way is Jack's drawing worth about as much as +$2. In the early game, it's worth slightly less than +$1; later it's more likely to be worth more, but the early game is when price differences like this matter most.

Could you elaborate? It looks like you have to have an engine running before you can trash anything with it—by which point you don't really need trashing as much anymore. And then the trashing is a one-shot.

a normal throne room has a phantom "+1 action." this has a phantom "-1 action" but does the same otherwise, so yea i think it's a throne room variant.

That's a big difference!

it's a little bit hard to track with durations, but it's not as hard as procession is, and procession didn't die because of it either. i should also mention that i love this card, it's my favorite of the ones I've made, I really think the tracking issues are worth it.

I disagree; it's much harder to track than Procession/Duration. If you Procession a Duration, the Duration is trashed but the Procession stays in play. If you use this to pull a Duration out of play, you've got nothing remaining in play at all to remind you to activate the Duration's next-turn effects.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 06:02:50 pm »

And no way is Jack's drawing worth about as much as +$2. In the early game, it's worth slightly less than +$1; later it's more likely to be worth more, but the early game is when price differences like this matter most.
1$ plus significant cycling. and early on it can trash your estates, which is huge. and JoaT also defends against junkers and discard/topdeck attacks. i have played fundamentalist/BM, it's not that good.

I've never directly compared it to JoaT/BM though, or counted turns. I think I'll do that, and we'll see how it goes... or i'll write a java program to simulate it.

I still think it needs to cost at least $4
okay, i have to elaborate a little bit here, because we're obviously coming from very different angles. first and most importantly: the intention behind pricing a card is to make the card fun to play with, not to make it balanced in terms of powerlevel. I would go as far as to say that balance of powerlevel is a myth, it doesn't exist in dominion. look at harvest, then look at mountebank. but more specifically, look at chapel. If the intention with chapel had been to make it balanced in terms of powerlevel, it would probably cost 4$. but now imagine what that would change: you would still open chapel lots of times when it's there, but you would almost always pair it with silver, and 5/2 is now just terrible. it'd make the game less interesting. that's why chapel costs 2$. it's insanely overpowered, but you can't win with lots of chapels, that's why it doesn't break the game.

Second, I'd argue that 3$'s are stronger than 4$'s in dominion. this is probably debatable, but just take a look at the card lists. Of course, I just made an argument why powerlevel shouldn't be the main quantum anyway, so it's not all that relevant.

now, for fundamentalist, the decision whether to price it at 3$ or 4$ mostly determines whether you have the possibility to open double fund. I very much want that to be an option, so i made it cost 3$. I even added the "put a card on top of your deck" option (the original version had something else instead) to make double fund. even more viable.

also, you are neglecting the fact that i already tested the card. I don't yet know if I like it, but I can say for sure that it can't cost 5$. There's a huge, huge difference between 5$ and 3$/4$. And like I said in my OP: it's not even that strong at 3$. I expected it to be, but it's not.

Could you elaborate? It looks like you have to have an engine running before you can trash anything with it—by which point you don't really need trashing as much anymore. And then the trashing is a one-shot.

i was saying it is absolutely worth it because I know that it is because I've played with it. But what's wrong with your argument is the part i highlighted. that's sort of true if you play with let's say chapel. But if there is no trashing, or even just weaker trashing, getting rid of a bunch of dead cards in midgame isn't just worth it, it can be absolutely huge. also, you're missing the fact that shrines can get other shrines, meaning you can gain a shrine the first time you play it, and trash the second time, then you're still going to have one. that requires you to think ahead, of course, which is great, that's exactly what I want.

Also, sometimes just getting rid of the workshop is a good thing, especially if the engine isn't that strong. If, for example, you play a board with heralds but no other trashing, then you might very well just skip them entirely if there was workshop or armory, but with shrine you can absolutely make it work. And yea, sometimes (like in garden/silk road games), it's just a basic workshop without any benefit for 4$, but that's completely fine.

a normal throne room has a phantom "+1 action." this has a phantom "-1 action" but does the same otherwise, so yea i think it's a throne room variant.
That's a big difference!
it is. which is why when i designed believer, I expected it to be really weak. but i wasn't arguing powerlevel, i was arguing that it's similar in what it does: you have a throne room and a cantrip in hand -> you can play the cantrip twice, and you produce another +action. you have a believer and a cantrip in hand -> you can play the cantrip twice, but you require another +action to do so. it seems like a throne room variant to me.

but, that's not important. if you think it's closer to sheme, by all means, consider it a sheme variant.

I disagree; it's much harder to track than Procession/Duration. If you Procession a Duration, the Duration is trashed but the Procession stays in play. If you use this to pull a Duration out of play, you've got nothing remaining in play at all to remind you to activate the Duration's next-turn effects.
you're once again forgetting that I've already played with it. you have believer in play to remind you of stuff. It doesn't become a duration card like throne room variants do, if that's what you mean, but it's not that big of a problem, usually, you target duration cards that kicked in from last turn, and then you can just put those in your duration area just like the "regular ones". And in the rare cases that you played a duration card twice (or played it once but topdecked it), it's still not that hard. remember that with procession, it's not uncommon to have just one procession out that draws like 16 cards, if you played a procession-procession chain.

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 09:13:11 pm »
+1

Great to see another expansion in the works. I don't have many comments on the specifics of the cards, but I like the themes (both mechanical and visual) and your chart that maps out the explored and unexplored space of conditionals. I also like your emphasis on cards with options, complexity and nuance.

I'll be printing these out and hope to playtest them with some friends this summer. I'll get back to you with feedback after that.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 02:18:37 pm »
+1

Monastery ★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
+1 Card. +1 Action. If you have exactly 5 cards in your hand, you may trash a card from your hand. If you didn't trash a card, +1 Action.

This might be OK power-wise. Tough to say. Although it's not too wordy, it seems a little wonky to me. I would try:

Monastery
+1 Card. +1 Action. If you have at 5 or more cards in your hand, trash one of them. Otherwise, +1 Action.

But that's just my opinion. Fewer choices when you play it, but you still have a choice of what to trash.

Prayer
+3 Cards. +1 Action. Discard a card. Return this to the Prayer Pile (This is not in the Supply.)

I guess I'll comment on this once I get to cards that use it.

[+$2; Gain a Silver] is pretty close to a $5 value just by itself. I would nix the "each player gains a Copper" option. For one thing, some players will complain that this isn't an Attack. But mostly I just don't think people will choose that option enough to justify its inclusion.

The first two options look really weak compared to [gain a Silver], which itself is not super strong. I would almost suggest bumping the cost to $5, having it give you +$3, and keeping the first three options as-is. Except you probably want to say "move the top 2 cards of a Supply pile that is not a Victory pile to the trash" to avoid on-trash shenanigans and rules confusion. I agree that making supply trashing one of several options on a "choose one" is a good solution to the AP problem. Unless you have a good reason to do it, you'll just choose another option.

Holy Ground ★★★★★★★★☆☆
+1 Action. Reveal then discard any number of cards. +1 Card per card discarded. If an Action, a Treasure, and a Victory card were discarded, gain a Prayer from the Prayer Pile.
--

Could afford to be simpler. The Action part, I mean. Maybe "If you discarded an Action" or "If you discarded a Silver', etc. Discarding Victory cards and Coppers is something you do anyway and you need a lot more words for them.

Replace ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. You may reveal a card costing up to 3$ more than the trashed card. If you do, gain a copy of the revealed card.

A remodel where you need a copy of the card you want to gain in your hand. I don't love it. I don't have any suggested fixes, though.

Shrine ★★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆

Huh. It's sort of interesting. I'm worried that it's just too much of a dud on a board without cheap cantrips, though. You want both options way less. But maybe that's OK. Sometimes you don't want Workshop/Ironwork/etc. But there at least you can use the ability. The trashing here doesn't really work unless you have the cantrips available. I guess I have mixed feelings about it.

Believer ★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
--

You mention it being great with Duration cards, but it causes rules/tracking problems with those. If you remove a just-played Duration card from play using Believer's on-buy ability, there's nothing reminding you to do the next-turn effect. Scheme and Prince have complex wordings to avoid this very issue!

Inquisition ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
+2$. Each player may trash a card from his hand costing at least 3$. If you do, gain a Prayer from the Prayer pile, putting it on top of your deck. Each other player that doesn't gains a Curse.

The part where you can trash a card to gain a Prayer on your deck seems weak. Likewise, I'm not sure how often opponents will trash a valuable card from their hands to avoid a Curse.

Crusade ★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
+2 Cards. Reveal your hand. If at least half of the cards revealed cost 0$, +1 Action. Each other player may discard his hand. If he discards any card this way, he gains 2 Prayers from the Prayer pile, putting them on top of his deck.

In general, I'm not a big fan of cards where you don't know when you play them whether or not they'll be terminal. Tribute is cute, but I really don't like that aspect of it. I'm glad you changed the text such that it only cares about cards costing $0, not other copies of Crusade. Hard to say how often opponents will go for the discard-hand effect. At first I thought almost never, or that it wouldn't be fun if you did, but I'm changing my mind. Seems like it could be a neat option, especially when you have a terrible hand.

Gathering ★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Cost: 6$
+2 Cards, +1 Action. If you have at least 7 cards in hand, you may trash a card from your hand. You may play a Gathering from your hand.

I think "you may trash if you have at least X cards in hand" is covered by Monastery, which I like better than this. Yeah, I'm not really excited about this one.

Hopefully that helps! Sorry if I was too harsh.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:49:47 pm by LastFootnote »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 03:48:23 pm »
+1

I like all of them, except that I'm not a fan of the 3$ Explorer. 

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 04:39:26 pm »

This might be OK power-wise. Tough to say. Although it's not too wordy, it seems a little wonky to me. I would try:

Monastery
+1 Card. +1 Action. If you have at 5 or more cards in your hand, trash one of them. Otherwise, +1 Action.

But that's just my opinion. Fewer choices when you play it, but you still have a choice of what to trash.
Hm, can you specify what you mean with wonky? I don't really see the advantage of your version. Just to decrease complexity? But the card isn't very complicated. Also, it's a big nerf, I don't think it needs a nerf.

[+$2; Gain a Silver] is pretty close to a $5 value just by itself. I would nix the "each player gains a Copper" option. For one thing, some players will complain that this isn't an Attack. But mostly I just don't think people will choose that option enough to justify its inclusion.

The first two options look really weak compared to [gain a Silver], which itself is not super strong. I would almost suggest bumping the cost to $5, having it give you +$3, and keeping the first three options as-is. Except you probably want to say "move the top 2 cards of a Supply pile that is not a Victory pile to the trash" to avoid on-trash shenanigans and rules confusion. I agree that making supply trashing one of several options on a "choose one" is a good solution to the AP problem. Unless you have a good reason to do it, you'll just choose another option.
Again, that one is dropped. I don't know how I missed it in the OP. Sorry that I made you comment on it anyway. Some of the reasons I dropped it were things you mentioned here.

Unrelated, I do think all of you are overrating "+2$, gain a silver". It really isn't worth 5$.

Could afford to be simpler. The Action part, I mean. Maybe "If you discarded an Action" or "If you discarded a Silver', etc. Discarding Victory cards and Coppers is something you do anyway and you need a lot more words for them.
I guess if two people say pretty much the same thing, I should start listening to it. I'm really hesitant to change this card though, because it works fine as it is. Then again, what you're saying is mostly to cut redundancy, which wouldn't really change the way it works. I guess the thing is just that it basically says "discard one card of each type" and I thought that was really simple; wordy, but simply. Maybe I'm just not that afraid of a few more words. I also don't think any of the 3 conditions is redundant, you don't always have treasure cards in your deck, and you definitely don't always have estates. Dunno, I just think I rather have a few more words and have it doing exactly what I want then make it simpler but less interesting.

A remodel where you need a copy of the card you want to gain in your hand. I don't love it. I don't have any suggested fixes, though.
I didn't test it yet (because I wanted to wait for a nicer image), so it's very possible that I'll drop it really early. I can't really predict how it works out, maybe having to get copies of the cards you want is interesting, maybe it's not.

Huh. It's sort of interesting. I'm worried that it's just too much of a dud on a board without cheap cantrips, though. You want both options way less. But maybe that's OK. Sometimes you don't want Workshop/Ironwork/etc. But there at least you can use the ability. The trashing here doesn't really work unless you have the cantrips available. I guess I have mixed feelings about it.
Basically, it's good when workshop is good, unless you just want the trashing, then it can sometimes be good in other games. You don't always buy workshop; you don't always buy shrine. I don't think that's a problem.

You mention it being great with Duration cards, but it causes rules/tracking problems with those. If you remove a just-played Duration card from play using Believer's on-buy ability, there's nothing reminding you to do the next-turn effect. Scheme and Prince have complex wordings to avoid this very issue!
Yea, I'm aware of that. Again, I'll argue that it's less complicated than procession, which can leave you with one procession in play that draws 16 cards. But I was considering something like "if you would discard it during your next cleanup-phase", so that you can't do stuff with duration cards anymore. If i do that, you could still target duration cards that kicked in from last turn, because that doesn't have a tracking issue, so you could still play a double tactician board with one tactician. It would make the card much more wordy though. But I'll keep an eye on it.

The part where you can trash a card to gain a Prayer on your deck seems weak. Likewise, I'm not sure how often opponents will trash a valuable card from their hands to avoid a Curse.
I'm speculating here, because I haven't tested the card yet. I often consider silver a necessity to get to 5$, that's why I thought the option is often worth it, but I might be wrong. I also expect you to trash most of the time if there's no trashing, rather than gaining a curse, but I might be wrong here too. If you don't have any suggested changes, I'll probably start by testing it as it is.

In general, I'm not a big fan of cards where you don't know when you play them whether or not they'll be terminal. Tribute is cute, but I really don't like that aspect of it. [...] Hard to say how often opponents will go for the discard-hand effect. At first I thought almost never, or that it wouldn't be fun if you did, but I'm changing my mind. Seems like it could be a neat option, especially when you have a terrible hand.
I know what you mean, I also dislike that about tribute. But it's not nearly as bad with this one, because you already know most of your hand before drawing. There are times when you don't know though, but most of them you still have to try. So far, there was only one time when I didn't know if playing it was a good idea; I ended up not playing it.

I really like the condition, I'll definitely keep that. I might change the drawback, maybe make it "discard 3 cards" instead of "don't get the action." That would fix the half terminalness, but it would also help you to prepare other crusades, maybe even too easily. This version isn't final anyway.

You are using the reaction part, but not quite as often as I hoped, which is why most recently I changed it so that you get both Prayers on top of your deck. I don't know yet if that makes any noticable difference, we'll see.

I'm glad you changed the text such that it only cares about cards costing $0, not other copies of Crusade.
actually, that's another error  :-[ I must have forgotten to change the description, because the original version only cared about cost. It was a necessary change though, there's no way around it.  It's not strong enough when it works to make activating it that tough.

I think "you may trash if you have at least X cards in hand" is covered by Monastery, which I like better than this. Yeah, I'm not really excited about this one.
Did you see that it can be a village?

Yea, dunno, that one is new. I love cards that make you work for trashing, I want as many of them as possible, but it is kind of similar to monastery. Hm... I'll have to think about it some more. The original idea was a card that counted itself, and to also count copies on your hand without having to use some awkward wording, I put "you may play another copy..." on it before the counting part resolves. Maybe I'll end up doing something like that after all, which would then be a pretty different card, just keeping the name, the image, and the "play another copy" mechanic.

Hopefully that helps! Sorry if I was too harsh.
It does, and not at all. Thanks!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 02:37:27 pm »
+1

I'm confused... the image for Believer has a different wording, with a different effect, from the description and discussion about it. I'm assuming one or the other is an updated version?

For the wording on the image, it's confusing I think. When you say "if you discard it from play this turn, you may..." that sounds to me like you will get the card back at the end of your turn, when it would otherwise be discarded. In other words, a Scheme effect, not a Throne Room effect. If you are trying to use a wording like that to limit Duration cards, you would need "if you would discard it from play this turn". But that doesn't work because not all cards can know if they will be discarded from play this turn or not; depends on things like Scheme and Treasury.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 02:49:32 pm »

I'm confused... the image for Believer has a different wording, with a different effect, from the description and discussion about it. I'm assuming one or the other is an updated version?

For the wording on the image, it's confusing I think. When you say "if you discard it from play this turn, you may..." that sounds to me like you will get the card back at the end of your turn, when it would otherwise be discarded. In other words, a Scheme effect, not a Throne Room effect. If you are trying to use a wording like that to limit Duration cards, you would need "if you would discard it from play this turn". But that doesn't work because not all cards can know if they will be discarded from play this turn or not; depends on things like Scheme and Treasury.

these kinds of things happen because Showdown35 does all the work on the cards. I told him how I want to change believer, I didn't forumate clearly, he misunderstood and made it a sheme. I pm'd him agian, but he didn't change it yet. He's a lot more busy than I am atm, so changes sometimes come in delayed. also, the images link directly to the ones he's working on, so whenever he changes something that might not be correct, it instantly affects the thread.

Believer lets you take a card from play in hand, or you can topdeck it instead if you choose. Just ignore the wording for now, it'll be right eventually. The text box is the safer thing to look at.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 02:52:48 pm by silverspawn »

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +291
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 04:42:46 pm »
+1

Scribe ★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
You may play this as if it were an Action card on your Scribe mat that you choose. If you do, this is that card until it leaves play. If you don't, you may put an Action card from the Supply on your Scribe mat.
---
When you play an Action card, +1$ if you have a copy of it on your Scribe mat.

I can totally see forgetting to do the +$1, especially if Scribe isn't actually in play at the time I play the action. Normally, when a card tells you to do something, you're looking at the card at the time, and can read the text on the card.

Unless, of course, it's meant to read "While this is in play, when you play an Action card...", like Goons and Highway do. But that could quickly get out of hand: put Smithy, Worker's Village, and Scribe on the mat and fill your deck with those.

Also, there's no limit on cost for the set aside card, like BoM does. So, I can set aside, then play a Scribe as King's Court/Grand Market/whatever other $6-8 actions and $P cost cards I choose.

I know you said it's probably still too strong, these are just some things you could have to fix. I think it's probably a slow BoM under worst circumstances, but most of the time it will be much better, especially in an engine deck that plays lots of the same actions. Probably should cost at least $6, but the power level really comes from what the card does, so just balancing with cost might be tricky.

Also,
ephesos plays Scribe...
      choosing to play it as a card on the Scribe mat...
             choosing to play it as Scribe...
*opponent has disconnected*
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:44:02 pm by ephesos »

ephesos

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 04:55:45 pm »
+4

ephesos plays Scribe...
Wow, I just realized that doing this gives you infinite money. When I wrote it, I just thought it would be being rude to your opponent. But infinite money's just crazy. Needs some sort of fix/interpretation where you can't Scribe as Scribe.
New interpretation:
ephesos plays Scribe...
                     Scribe is on the Scribe mat, so ephesos gets $1
                                    Scribe is on the Scribe mat, so ephesos gets $1

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 05:52:00 pm »

yea, i'm aware of both problems. Like you said, I tested it knowing that it would probably be too strong. I've already demanded a fix, the new version has two changes: it costs $6 instead of $5, and it can only imitate cards that cost less than itself, like band of misfits. you can still invest in KC's, but you can't play scribe as a KC. and just like BoF, it can't imitate itself anymore

I'm not sure if that version is balanced, but I'll test it. The current version is definitely too strong, it seems like the correct way to play it is to invest in all important action cards and then buy only scribes, which clearly isn't the point of the card. The big thing was that it could imitate 5$'s, first I thought I'd fix that with the changes, but then I realized that you can still do it, because now Scribe costs 6$ (duh). It might be too good, if it is, I can make it "cost 4$ or less" instead of "costing less than this". But i'd rather not, because then If you play 2 highways, it could imitate itself again.

I can totally see forgetting to do the +$1, especially if Scribe isn't actually in play at the time I play the action
If this were a problem, Investment must have had it too, but I've never heard LF mentioning it. It definitely wasn't a problem in the games I've played with it; you're excited about playing cards you invested in, that's not something you forget. And you have the cards to remind you of it too. The only thing you have to remember is whether you made your Scribes imitate Action cards (and get the +1$) or used it to invest in other cards (don't get the +1$). that seems quite reasonable.

On a side note, I'm not sure if you would get infinite money. I thought about it once I realized that you can invest in other scribes, and I don't think you "play" it several times. Like, imagine I play BoF, I imitate Woodcutter. If what you said is true, I must have played two action cards now, first the BoF, and then the Woodcutter. But I'm pretty sure that Peddler still costs 6$ if you just played a Band of Misfits. The way I see it is that the imitation happens instantly, you play it and it IS a woodcutter. If you imitate yourself, you would then play
a scribe that IS a scribe that IS a scribe that IS a scribe that IS a scribe ... that IS something else. But you still only play one card.

might be wrong though. but either way, it shouldn't (and won't) be possible.

ephesos

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 07:18:07 pm »
+1

But I'm pretty sure that Peddler still costs 6$ if you just played a Band of Misfits.

That's only because Peddler counts Action cards in play, not Action cards played. I think the relevant case is Conspirator, but I can't seem to find anything official about it. All the posts I saw pretty much said it doesn't count as 2, and that Goko is getting it wrong(since they were all bug reports). But it's definitely possible to interpret it either way.

The way I see it, you play Scribe and you have a choice: play a card on its mat, or add a card to the mat. In order to have another choice, you must have played the card a second time. Otherwise, the choice wouldn't have come up again. The way I see the chain is that you play Scribe and choose an Action to play it as. Scribe then tells you to play it as that action, so you do. It's like Cultist or Herald: the card tells you to play another card, so you do. This one just tells you to play it as itself.

But anyway, this all probably belongs on the Rules Questions thread. It's your card, so it does what it wants, and the wording will either do what you intend, or you'll change it until it does.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 08:21:18 pm »
+1

I'm pretty sure that playing a Band of Misfits as another card only counts as 1 card played for Conspirator. You don't play BoM, and then "when you play this" play another card. You only played Conspirator, and you played it as if it were another card.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 09:56:45 pm »
+1

Here are comments before reading others' comments.  I'll check those out later.

Monastery ★★★★★★☆☆☆☆
+1 Card. +1 Action. If you have exactly 5 cards in your hand, you may trash a card from your hand. If you didn't trash a card, +1 Action.

I'm one of those people who thinks this seems too strong.  Cantrip trashing is just really good.  Of official cards, they are either $5 or Rats.  This is not only cantrip trashing but it is OPTIONAL cantrip trashing, and then it's a village if you need it.  Just seems too good.  Maybe if you swap the bonus +1 action with the +1 card, so it's always a village but doesn't draw first?  This would nerf it slightly in that your trashing options are slightly more limited.  (Of course you would put it at "exactly 4 cards" instead, or maybe "4 or more cards" or something.)

Prayer

Fun idea.  Very difficult to theorycraft how this plays.

Holy Ground ★★★★★★★★☆☆
+1 Action. Reveal then discard any number of cards. +1 Card per card discarded. If an Action, a Treasure, and a Victory card were discarded, gain a Prayer from the Prayer Pile.
--

Seems alright.  No idea if the ability to gain Prayer is enough to bump up Cellar to $5.

Shrine ★★★★★★★☆☆☆

Don't like this so much.  Workshop variants just feel boring to me most of the time, and this is no exception. 

The trashing sounds really weak to me.  You need Shrine (generally weak on its own), lots of other actions, a way to play lots of actions, and then you need all this to line up with cards you actually want to trash.  In order to get lots of actions in play, you want to have trashed down already, in which case Shrine trashing is redundant.  Otherwise, it takes a long time to get it done and then the trashing comes too late to make a big impact.  1 per action doesn't sound too strong to me.

Believer ★★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆
--

Being discussed elsewhere.  I'm a little surprised that it turns out to be really strong.  I suppose that's from the flexibility of the psuedo-TR vs. pseudo-Scheme?

Inquisition ★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

I think that some players may feel that this is stronger than it really is.  Each other player chooses to trash a $3+ card or to gain a Curse.  That sounds really scary, but it's like Torturer -- the choice to other players makes it feel meaner but it actually weakens the attack.  Overall, it sounds OK.

Crusade ★★★★★☆☆☆☆☆
+2 Cards. Reveal your hand. If at least half of it are copies of crusade and cards that cost 0$, +1 Action.

Weird, but interesting.  No idea how this would play.

Gathering ★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Cost: 6$
+2 Cards, +1 Action. If you have at least 7 cards in hand, you may trash a card from your hand. You may play a Gathering from your hand.

You wrote that you feel like dropping it.  I think you should drop it too.  It does a smattering of things that feels scattered and undirected.  It also feels like you have too many Lab variants in this set already, with Prayer and Crusade.

Zealot ★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Dig for an Acolyte card, putting it on top of your deck.
---
The first player go gain a Zealot chooses a Kingdom card pile from the Supply. Cards from that pile are Acolyte cards.

Not sure if I like this method of choosing the Zealot card.  It sort of has a first player advantage thing with it?  A little odd, but maybe in a good way.  You mentioned that you did that to prevent players from naming Curse or Gold every time, but you wrote "Kingdom card" which already precludes that possibility.

Scribe ★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
You may play this as if it were an Action card on your Scribe mat that you choose. If you do, this is that card until it leaves play. If you don't, you may put an Action card from the Supply on your Scribe mat.
---
When you play an Action card, +1$ if you have a copy of it on your Scribe mat.
[/quote]

This is quite a departure from Investment.  I see the concept still there, but the main purpose of the card seems shifted.  I also want to point out that it's pretty similar to one of the first fan cards I ever posted to f.ds, here.

The chameleon card is enough to stand on its own.  I think adding the Investment bit below the line is cramming too much into a single card.

On the other hand, maybe it does combine well.  IIRC, one of the issues that came up with Investment was that it's too slow, and losing a copy of that card to the mat is a big hit.  Perhaps a similar issue would occur with the chameleon card and the combination of the two would make the investment worthwhile.  Hm.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:58:00 pm by eHalcyon »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 11:13:59 pm »

Being discussed elsewhere.  I'm a little surprised that it turns out to be really strong.  I suppose that's from the flexibility of the psuedo-TR vs. pseudo-Scheme?

a couple of reasons. flexibility. the on-gain  is really good. you can imitate a single action card as often as you want, that's a huge plus over TR. whenever you have 2 actions left and a village+ in play, you can play believer as a cantrip with the + from the village. bazaar is the best one, if you have a bazaar in play and 2 or more actions left, all believers can be peddlers if they want to. that makes a hand of 3 believers and no other actions great, where as with TR's you'd just choke. workers village and they can be market squares. and it skyrockets TR engines, where you have lots of spare actions. Believer can always exploit extra actions.

A few days ago I played a board with KC, believer, some draw and shrine (though i never used the trashing, workshop would've done it too). on my first turn where I could line things up properly, I managed end the game on piles, building up resources faster than they're used, similar to Procession - fortress. play KC, KC, draw, Shrine, get a couple believers, KC, believer, move everything back into your hand, Woodcutter, KC, Believer, Draw, KC, etc.

and then there are duration card shenanigans. play a double-tactician deck with one tactician, that doesn't even have cause tracking problems.

You wrote that you feel like dropping it.  I think you should drop it too.  It does a smattering of things that feels scattered and undirected.  It also feels like you have too many Lab variants in this set already, with Prayer and Crusade.
yea, you're right. it was too slow anyway, costing $6 didn't go well with the "play me a lot" theme. I'll try to rework it though, something with a structure like this
XX
{{vanilla boni}}
you may play an XX from your hand.
{{count XX's in play and do cool stuff}}
probably costing less.

and monastery is fine  ::)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 09:36:48 pm »

I haven't posted here in a long time, but I did work on the expansion. So, update. New cards: Temple, Priestess, Royal Sanctum, Grail, Sacred Village. Images are in the reworked opening post; for easier access, here a text version:

Temple - Action - 2$
+1 Action. Name a card. Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Set aside all matches, discard them immediately after the next time you shuffle your deck. Put the rest back in any order.

Priestess - Action - 5$

Royal Sanctum - Action - 3$
Dig for an Action card that's not a Royal Sanctum. Play it twice. If you have more cards in hand than in play, return this to the supply.

Grail - Treasure - 5$
Worth 2$
+1 Buy. While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a Silver.

Sacred Village - Action - 4$
+2 Cards. Set your number of unused Actions to 2. Discard a card per Action gained this way.

Crusade and Believer also changed since my last update I think. Scribe is out.

Aside from these, some random things I am currently considering:
  • Make Believer unthronable. This is probably the strongest combination, but it's also the only one that's still causing tracking issues. Not more than Procession does, but still.
  • Cut the math from Shrine; make it just "one card per Action card in play". I prefer it powerwise as-is, but for some reason I care much more about simplicity than I used to, and the stronger version wouldn't break the game.
  • Rename Sacred Village. It's not really a Village.
  • Cut Royal Sanctum. This is a difficult case, because the card has both a lot going for it and a lot of problems. Good things: super-high skill card, unpredictable effects, feels unique, rewards creativity, amazing art. Bad things: second Throne Room variant, too strong, the penalty sometimes requires counting, can be very complicated, can require a lot of AP.
  • Request another art for Inquisition. It's really ugly.

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 04:55:08 pm »
+1

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 08:16:09 pm »
+2

First of all, did you notice that your definition of dig is wrong? You are doing Y before discarding the revealed cards, and it should be the other way around (cf. Golem, where the difference matters).

Prayer

Basically a delayed "+2 cards, discard a card" for whichever card makes you gain one. Only Holy Ground and Inquisition can gain it, I think you should try to work it (back again) in at least one more card.

Believer ★★★★★★☆☆☆☆
When you buy this or play it, choose an Action card you have in play. If it is not a Believer, put it into your hand or on top of your deck, your choice.

We kinda discussed this card elsewhere. It is a very cool card. The interaction with Duration cards is a bit more confusing than I would like, but that's about it.

Temple ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

This is a nice way to do that concept. I think this works better with a mat and an underline text, "After you shuffle your deck, discard all cards in your Temple mat."

Royal Sanctum ★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

You made a thread about this one, right? I dig the condition, but I am not sure this specific card needs the extra complexity, what it does is already interesting enough. I would consider the possibility of scrapping the condition and always/never returning the card to the supply, and price accordingly, then make another card whose main thing is to use that condition.

Monastery ★★★★★★★★★☆
+1 Card. +1 Action. If you have exactly 5 cards in hand, you may trash a card from your hand. If you didn't trash a card, +1 Action.

This seems fine, I don't think it is too powerful. I guess it could stand to have the trashing be non-optional, just so that it compares a little bit more unfavourably compared to Junk Dealer, but not sure it really needs it: Junk Dealer actually does something for you while it's trashing. Meh.

Shrine ★★★★★★☆☆☆☆

The way this card trashes is really interesting, because it can trash quite a bit at once, but then only quite late. If you say this works, then the only thing I can say is that I really like it.
However, the second part is a bit ugh. I would do what you mention in your last post and change it into "for every other Action card you have in play". And then people would complain less about the trashing being too weak :P

Crusade ★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Could the reveal be done before the drawing, Menagerie-style? That way you know what you are getting. Otherwise, hum, don't know what to say, this is too strange to be able to discuss it without playtesting it, but seems weak compared to menagerie, considering that you need to build a weaker deck to make it work, and even then the card itself is weaker than menagerie... Interesting concept anyway, it's cute that it has higher odds of activating when you are being junked.

Zealot ★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Dig for an Acolyte card. If no cards where discarded, play it. Otherwise put it on top of your deck.
---
The first player go gain a Zealot chooses an Action card pile from the Supply. Cards from that pile are Acolyte cards.
Note: you are missing the +2$ in the quote text

This... is... huh... what? My poor lizard brain can't wrap itself around this. Basically, it's a terminal silver + digger that becomes a cantrip if the digging was superfluous.

Zealot itself can be the Acolyte, right? That would make it a somewhat worse conspirator, so probably that's not something you want to do. Instead you want to use it to dig for whichever action card is strong in here, but then you need spare actions to dig and then get+play, you don't really want to flood your deck with zealots, but that's exactly when zealots shine? I don't know, I can comment on it without actually playing it.

Sacred Village ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Yeah, I remember this. It's cute, but a bit on the weak side. This can only draw if there are other villages in the kingdom, and even then it's only moat, it's nice but what are you doing buying two villages. If you use it after itself, it is a cantrip sifter, sorta like an attack-less spy, meh. If you want to use this as a village, it is an inn, so your handsize decreases. There's an argument to be done for versatility but eh, this could cost $3, or even $2 no probs, I think. Compare this with hamlet, which actually let's you choose what you want to do and can even get you buys, this only get you a little bit of extra sifting instead.

Holy Ground ★★★★★★★★☆☆
Types: Action, Reaction
+1 Action. Reveal then discard any number of cards. +1 Card per card discarded. If you revealed a Treasure, an Action, and a Victory card, gain a Prayer from the Prayer Pile.
--

Does this really need to cost $5? If you draw that prayer and play it, this is sort of a (conditional) cantrip cellar, with a reaction that is better than horse traders, only not always.

Inquisition ★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Types: Action, Attack
+2$. Each player may trash a card from his hand costing at least 3$. If you do, gain a Prayer from the Prayer pile, putting it on top of your deck. Each other player gains a curse, then trashes it if he trashed a card from his hand.

Trashing a card>$3 from hand is super-harsh, does anyone ever do it? Anyway, it seems like one of the weakest cursers in the game, which is fine if you think cursers are too strong, I guess.

If I understand you, the player playing inquisition is mostly expected to trash silvers this way. Trashing a silver costs you $2 this turn, and instead you are gaining a handsize increase of 1 next turn. Seems like a very weak bonus for getting rid of a card that might still be doing stuff for your deck, and the possibility to do this is the only reason why this gets +2$ instead of +2 cards, like the slightly stronger curser that is witch.

Not sure if weakening the attack is really worth the extra complexity from the gain-trashing either. Making the gain itself conditional seems better.

Priestess ★★★★★★★★☆☆

This is cool. Sometimes really strong, but in a cool (and hopefully not broken) way. I like it.

Grail ★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Types: Treasure
Worth 2$
+1 buy
While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a Silver.

Ah, I have no idea how to play silver flooding strategies, so no idea here. Looks strong, maybe?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 06:53:48 am »

First of all, did you notice that your definition of dig is wrong?
I didn't... thanks.

Basically a delayed "+2 cards, discard a card" for whichever card makes you gain one. Only Holy Ground and Inquisition can gain it, I think you should try to work it (back again) in at least one more card.
You're right, having just 2 cards using it is not great. There used to be a side-effect on Crusade that included Prayers, but I cut it. I'm still hoping to include it on a new card at some point.

I think this works better with a mat and an underline text, "After you shuffle your deck, discard all cards in your Temple mat."
I agree that it's cleaner, but that way you need a mat. well maybe it's worth it. Haven doesn't have one, but haven is a duration, so you can put the card behind haven when playing IRL.

Trashing a card>$3 from hand is super-harsh, does anyone ever do it?
yeah, if you can't get rid of the curses, you usually rather trash something.

If I understand you, the player playing inquisition is mostly expected to trash silvers this way. Trashing a silver costs you $2 this turn, and instead you are gaining a handsize increase of 1 next turn. Seems like a very weak bonus for getting rid of a card that might still be doing stuff for your deck, and the possibility to do this is the only reason why this gets +2$ instead of +2 cards, like the slightly stronger curser that is witch.
You can also trash other (weak) terminals from your hand, like FT or something. And silver is sometimes a bad card. I do use the self-trashing, but not as often I'd like. I think I'd miss it if I cut it, but it would make the card much simpler. "Each other player gains a curse. He may trash a card costing at least 3$ from his hand to trash the curse he gained."

Not sure if weakening the attack is really worth the extra complexity from the gain-trashing either. Making the gain itself conditional seems better.
I'm going to say yes, but it's not about weakening the attack so much as it is about changing the game. I had a 4 player game once, and there was no trashing, and we all went for Inquisition, and it just took forever, because the curses would not run out. An opponent plays Inquisition, you trash something form your hand, then in your turn you buy it back. Nothing has changed. Now at least the curses are out after 10 plays of inquisition, like with most other junkers. I think I'd rather cut the self-trashing aspect than the kill-curses-from-supply thing.

It would also be nice if you didn't "pay" the inquisition just in games without trashing. Maybe I rework it and make you draw a card if you pay or something.

Ah, I have no idea how to play silver flooding strategies, so no idea here. Looks strong, maybe?
It's strong for sure. It could probably be worth 1$ and be fine. But I like the stronger version; it doesn't break the game, and the official 5$ silvers (Royal Seal, Stash) are both really weak.

Does this really need to cost $5?
Definite yes.

@Crusade: there's no doubt that it's weaker than menagerie. It could reveal before drawing... maybe that's a good idea.

now to the more difficult ones

You made a thread about this one, right? I dig the condition, but I am not sure this specific card needs the extra complexity, what it does is already interesting enough. I would consider the possibility of scrapping the condition and always/never returning the card to the supply, and price accordingly, then make another card whose main thing is to use that condition.
This is a really good point, because the card is definitely too complex (also because you have to remember the penalty after the card resolved twice, sometimes you just forget it). The problem is the pricing, digging for a card and playing it twice is just really, really good. It would probably be too strong at 5$.

However... maybe instead of changing the penalty, the solution is to remove the bonus? Just, "Return this to the supply. Dig for an Action card. Play it twice." The effect is good enough for it to still be worth it I think.

Yeah, I remember this. It's cute, but a bit on the weak side. This can only draw if there are other villages in the kingdom, and even then it's only moat, it's nice but what are you doing buying two villages. If you use it after itself, it is a cantrip sifter, sorta like an attack-less spy, meh. If you want to use this as a village, it is an inn, so your handsize decreases. There's an argument to be done for versatility but eh, this could cost $3, or even $2 no probs, I think. Compare this with hamlet, which actually let's you choose what you want to do and can even get you buys, this only get you a little bit of extra sifting instead.
You're not the only one who thinks this is weak. However... I don't think it is (this one has zero testing, so I'm just speculating). It's not so much that it's versatile as it is that it's always sifting, and sifting without decreasing handsize is just very good. Apparently the "+2 cards, +1 action, discard a card" thing was too strong at 4$ and that's why it's not an official card, and that's exactly what this card turns into if you have 2 actions before playing it. If you have 1, it's an Inn (5$ card, but the effect is not really worth 5$). And if you have 3, it's a moat, but moat is not bad if you have 3 actions. The only time when it's really bad is if you have 4+, because then it kills your actions. that shouldn't happen very often though.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 07:41:01 am »
+1

Trashing a card>$3 from hand is super-harsh, does anyone ever do it?
yeah, if you can't get rid of the curses, you usually rather trash something.

You can also trash other (weak) terminals from your hand, like FT or something. And silver is sometimes a bad card. I do use the self-trashing, but not as often I'd like. I think I'd miss it if I cut it, but it would make the card much simpler. "Each other player gains a curse. He may trash a card costing at least 3$ from his hand to trash the curse he gained."

I'm going to say yes, but it's not about weakening the attack so much as it is about changing the game. I had a 4 player game once, and there was no trashing, and we all went for Inquisition, and it just took forever, because the curses would not run out. An opponent plays Inquisition, you trash something form your hand, then in your turn you buy it back. Nothing has changed. Now at least the curses are out after 10 plays of inquisition, like with most other junkers. I think I'd rather cut the self-trashing aspect than the kill-curses-from-supply thing.

It would also be nice if you didn't "pay" the inquisition just in games without trashing. Maybe I rework it and make you draw a card if you pay or something.

Hum, problem is, just +2$ is a weak bonus, considering the attack is weaker than witch. The other problem is that this card is already very wordy.

This doesn't solve the second problem, but keeps the prayer cards: make it a pure trash-for-benefit attack, taxman style. Instead of the +2$, just gain a prayer card (to the discard?) for $ the trashed card costed. No idea about the power level, just putting it out there.

EDIT:

two examples that go about it differently:

Trash a card from your hand. Gain a prayer card per $ it costed.
All other players gain a curse or trash a card from their hand costing $3 or more, their choice.

Basically, a terminal, delayed apprentice, but that also sifts and attacks. The fact that there's junking/trashing attacks in the game should naturally weaken the card. No problem about the two options being unequal, sinc you are guaranteed to be able to trash curses with inquisition.

If that looks too powerful (not sure about that), a super nerfed version could be:

Trash a card from your hand. Gain a prayer card per $ it costed.
All other players gain a curse or trash a card from their hand other than curse, their choice

Which is cute thematically, because it looks like a bishop at first, only not for very long. This version could probably cost $4, since it helps the other players at first (mostly), and by the time the curses arrive you can probably deal with them.

You're not the only one who thinks this is weak. However... I don't think it is (this one has zero testing, so I'm just speculating). It's not so much that it's versatile as it is that it's always sifting, and sifting without decreasing handsize is just very good. Apparently the "+2 cards, +1 action, discard a card" thing was too strong at 4$ and that's why it's not an official card, and that's exactly what this card turns into if you have 2 actions before playing it. If you have 1, it's an Inn (5$ card, but the effect is not really worth 5$). And if you have 3, it's a moat, but moat is not bad if you have 3 actions. The only time when it's really bad is if you have 4+, because then it kills your actions. that shouldn't happen very often though.

Well, if you say a cantrip one-card-sifter is too strong at 4$, then this is going to be difficult to do right no matter what.
Have you considered something like:

+2 cards. You may discard two or more cards from your hand. +1 action per card discarded this way.

At least this way you get to choose which one it does (moat or inn), only you can't get the one-card cantrip sifter anymore. It also comboes with diadem, yay. Yes, it doesn't use the "set number of remaining actions to X" mechanic, but oh well.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 09:00:56 am by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2014, 07:52:09 am »
+2

I know this is not a very helpful comment, but what should i do... Just wanted to point out that i find the art Showdown35 did beautiful.
Hopefully i'll have some time later to comment on the cards themselves :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 07:53:25 am by Asper »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 20 queries.