Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Interesting Kingdoms with Prince?  (Read 8945 times)

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
Interesting Kingdoms with Prince?
« on: June 15, 2014, 05:11:24 am »

Anyone has interesting Kingdoms with Prince?

Please hide all strategy tips with the spoiler tag (like this).

You can also post the kingdom into Post Your Fun Kingdoms to Play
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 05:16:09 am by yed »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Kingdoms with Prince?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 01:57:05 pm »

Prince/Beggar has been mentioned, and that seems like it could be a powerhouse.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 07:40:50 pm »
+2

Prince/Beggar has been mentioned, and that seems like it could be a powerhouse.

Maybe on opposite day.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 08:57:46 pm »

With a hand of 5 Coppers (all the more likely with a Princed Beggar), you can buy a Province.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3228
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 09:11:42 pm »

prince of beggar means you need 5$ to buy a province and you get lots of card that make hitting 5$  more likely. seems good to me...

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 09:12:06 pm »

depends on the deck. If you're doing a pretty normal money sort of thing, prince of beggars is good (have fun making sure you connect them though). On the other hand, if you've got a super sweet engine that's going to have triple province turns, it's not so great.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 09:18:47 pm »

depends on the deck. If you're doing a pretty normal money sort of thing, prince of beggars is good (have fun making sure you connect them though).
Having the Prince of Beggars might be good, but I'm not convinced that getting it is better than getting a Silver and a Province.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 09:33:52 pm »

yeah, I don't think I would ever get prince (except for in weird edge cases) in a BM strategy because chances are good it won't hit my action. Prince actually seems to me to be relatively weak, only used in some engines. Sort of like outpost. But I don't really know of course - I've never played with the card!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 11:15:41 pm »

Just messing around... how about:

Beggar, Market Square, Steward, Armory, Bridge, Coppersmith, Herald, Throne Room, Counting House, Prince

Not going to spoiler this because I haven't thought about this long enough for it to be a "tip"... there is probably a sweet engine in here between Armory gaining, Steward trashing and Bridge payload, but I'd be at least a little bit tempted to attempt a crazy Copper-centric strategy.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 11:34:54 pm »

Beggar, Market Square, Steward, Armory, Bridge, Coppersmith, Herald, Throne Room, Counting House, Prince

Not going to spoiler this because I haven't thought about this long enough for it to be a "tip"... there is probably a sweet engine in here between Armory gaining, Steward trashing and Bridge payload, but I'd be at least a little bit tempted to attempt a crazy Copper-centric strategy.

If I could line them up, I would totally Prince Coppersmith.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 02:39:02 am »

Coppersmith doesn't look like a big deal in this kingdom, right? If you're going Copper-centric, you'll have so many of them every hand that you'll be able to buy any one thing you want anyway. I could imagine Princeing Counting House for reliability, Beggar for payload, or even Bridge just for the buy - though I imagine lining those two up would be as easy as winning the lottery, in a huge deck like this, so you wouldn't buy the Bridge to begin with.

Ninja edit: Right, you can't Prince CH...unless you Prince a Bridge first! I have a devious new plan...

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 02:49:38 am »

I think most strategies which attempt to Prince a $5+ card (with Bridge/Highway/Quarry(BM)/Princess) take too long to set up.
The amount of Coppers in your deck will just kill you.

You need a bit of luck here to get it early (probably with Beggar) and then to connect it with something good.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 07:14:15 am »

Thanks to Heralds and Throne Rooms you can very easily get 7 Bridges in play relatively quickly even without Prince. Any Copper-centric strategy is horrible.

silvern

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 10:33:28 am »

Chapel, Village, Masquerade, Bridge, Remake, Saboteur, Goons, Possession, King's Court, Prince

I originally posted this in the "Fun Kingdoms" thread facetiously, fully expecting that it would be the least fun game of Dominion of all time. But looking at it now, I'm interested in it, since the pin can be blocked. There's also stuff with KC KC B B B, but KC saboteur and goons action could stop that. And then there's possession.
Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 05:06:02 pm by silvern »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 10:38:23 am »

The thing about a Prince of Beggars strategy is that you probably want a bunch of Beggars, making it easier to line one up with Prince. Then once you have a Prince of Beggars, almost any hand with another Beggar is a Province hand.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 10:44:39 am »

I think Coppersmith may be the easiest to set up. It's got a good chance at 8 early and having them collide after that basically gives you 7 Silver in your deck. That will set up good chances to get more Princes in play.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 10:57:25 am »

The thing about a Prince of Beggars strategy is that you probably want a bunch of Beggars, making it easier to line one up with Prince. Then once you have a Prince of Beggars, almost any hand with another Beggar is a Province hand.

How do you buy the Prince in the first place? You need Beggar+Silver+3xCopper.... does not look good at all.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 11:44:12 am »

Thanks to Heralds and Throne Rooms you can very easily get 7 Bridges in play relatively quickly even without Prince. Any Copper-centric strategy is horrible.

There goes SCSN again making blanket statements on F.DS. Usually by the time I get to reading them there have been 55 edge cases posted but it looks like my timing is good.

Coppersmith is a wonderful engine payload. There are quadrillions of kingdoms out there without Herald or Throne Room and while there are certainly more powerful things you can do than play Coppers, sometimes Copper-centric strategies are the best thing on the board. I'd find it more accurate to say that there are more bad Copper-centric strategies than good ones, but you can't just dismiss things in Dominion or else you're just going to lose games. (Let me beat you all to the punch. EXCEPT SCOUT LOLOL)

Cue all the people who normally troll my stream chat, pointing out my many instances of inaccurate play surrounding Copper trashing, particularly in tournament matches. I'm not saying I'm the best judge of when Copper becomes the star of the show, I'm just saying that it happens and when it does, it feels SO GOOD. And you know what I always say...

I take it all back. Please ignore me and move along with your lives. I'm an idiot (reading is hard).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 12:20:49 pm by AdamH »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 11:46:00 am »
+2

I believe he meant any copper-centric strategy is horrible on this board

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 11:47:52 am »

I believe he meant any copper-centric strategy is horrible on this board

Well would you look at that. Whoops.  :-[

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 12:38:04 pm »

Chapel, Village, Masquerade, Bridge, Remake, Saboteur, Goons, Possession, King's Court, Prince

I originally posted this in the "Fun Kingdom's" thread facetiously, fully expecting that it would be the least fun game of Dominion of all time. But looking at it now, I'm interested in it, since the pin can be blocked. There's also stuff with KC KC B B B, but KC saboteur and goons action could stop that. And then there's possession.
Thoughts?

Prince of Villages is a serious power on this board

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 12:43:29 pm »

I take it all back. Please ignore me and move along with your lives. I'm an idiot (reading is hard).

All back? Even the Scout part?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 04:05:18 pm »
+4

There goes SCSN again making blanket statements on F.DS. Usually by the time I get to reading them there have been 55 edge cases posted but it looks like my timing is good.

While you stroke it out, it's still sort of readable and you made a similar comment last week in the chat of my stream, so let me elaborate a bit on my so-called "blanket statements" and frequent use of hyperbole:

These things are a deliberate stylistic choice. I'm perfectly capable of picturing in striking detail a shade of reservation beneath every passing thought, marking the transition between umbra and penumbra, illustrating even how their tint and tone will alter with the time of day. These sort of aimless hedges, however, interrupting, like this, the flow of every—no, almost every—sentence, so that it hits you only at the end that you lost the point somewhere in the middle, these sort of hedges are like commercial breaks in a fast-paced movie, or an orator's stutter that mars even the most fluidly composed speech.

I fully stand behind George Box when he wrote that

Since all models are wrong the scientist cannot obtain a "correct" one by excessive elaboration. On the contrary following William of Occam he should seek an economical description of natural phenomena. Just as the ability to devise simple but evocative models is the signature of the great scientist so overelaboration and overparameterization is often the mark of mediocrity.

Few things are more educational than a carefully crafted caricature; few things more tiresome than an exhaustive list of exceptions. I like to compose the former, and trust that every bore will be able to compile the latter for himself, in his own basement, on his own clock.

There will always be some people who will recognize the spirit of what I'm saying and respond to the imparted lessons with grateful appreciation. Just as there will be others, and here the edge-case crowd comes in, who prefer instead to cut themselves at my deliberately sharpened sentences. I see no reason to rob them of an opportunity to exercise their masochistic hobby.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 04:14:34 pm »

Of course we have many stylistic differences in lots that we do. You like to have lots of terminals in your deck and I don't. Sometimes I just like to keep Coppers around, you know? And now this.

And of course I have nothing but respect for the way you do things, mostly because I know you're really good at the game. Sometimes I like to weigh in my counterpoints, but it's usually more effective when I correctly comprehend what you've said.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 05:02:13 pm »
+3

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.