Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Well now I want to make a bunch of new promo ripoffs  (Read 2377 times)

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
Well now I want to make a bunch of new promo ripoffs
« on: June 14, 2014, 04:41:05 pm »

There's some interesting strategic space to explore, although balancing could get pretty silly pretty quickly.

Plantation
$6 Action-Duration
At the start of every turn, +$1
(The easy one!  A bit better than Treasury, but I'm not sure I'd take Gold over it often, so maybe it should be 7?)

Missionary
$5 Action-Duration
At the start of every turn, trash a card from your hand or trash this.
(Optional Junk Dealer without the +$ but with a conditional topdeck, basically, so I figure 5 seems decently fair.  I wonder how it would be without the option to trash it instead of your hand?)

Commercial District
$4 Action-Duration
At the start of every turn, +1 Buy
(Seemed more like a 3 until I thought more about Woodcutter and Market Square)

Con Man
$6 Action-Duration-Attack
At the start of every turn, each of your opponents gains a Copper.
(It could empty Curses too quickly to really balance, and Ruins seemed a bit too nasty as well, so I went for this.  I based the cost off Mountebank, but I'm not too sure about it.)

Expert Craftsman
$6 Action-Duration
During each of your cleanup phases, draw 6 cards instead of 5.
(I wanted to avoid letting them stack, and wanted to give them a weakness to "Discard to X."  Plus I got tired of start-of-turn.  When I think about Lab I want to make it 7, but when I think of Caravan 6 seems more reasonable.)

Travelling Villagers
$10 Action-Duration
For the rest of the game, your action cards do not cost Actions.
(Ludicrously powerful, but is it worth building an engine around a $10 card?  I could maybe even see pricing it at 12 or something, so maybe it's just plain too strong.  I wish I didn't have to word this awkwardly to get around Diadem.)

Port
$4 Action-Duration
At the start of every turn, draw a card and then discard a card.
(Comparing it to Lab, it seems stronger than 4, but compared to Inn or Warehouse I'm not so sure.)

I'm sure you good people have better ideas, so let's see 'em!
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Well now I want to make a bunch of new promo ripoffs
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 05:01:35 pm »
+1

Expert Craftsman
$6 Action-Duration
(I wanted to avoid letting them stack, and wanted to give them a weakness to "Discard to X."  Plus I got tired of start-of-turn.  When I think about Lab I want to make it 7, but when I think of Caravan 6 seems more reasonable.)

Travelling Villagers
$10 Action-Duration
(Ludicrously powerful, but is it worth building an engine around a $10 card?  I could maybe even see pricing it at 12 or something, so maybe it's just plain too strong.  I wish I didn't have to word this awkwardly to get around Diadem.)
These two could do better as prizes or another individual card because you never would want more than one of these.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 05:03:35 pm »
+2

Expert Craftsman
$6 Action-Duration

Travelling Villagers
$10 Action-Duration
These two could do better as prizes or another individual card because you never would want more than one of these.
You might want to take a look at your avatar in the trash pile.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:05:25 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 05:09:07 pm »

Expert Craftsman
$6 Action-Duration

Travelling Villagers
$10 Action-Duration
You might want to take a look at your avatar.
Getting a second chapel is occasionally beneficial. Of course, then you've probably already lost.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 05:11:45 pm »
+1

You might want to take a look at your avatar.
Getting a second chapel is occasionally beneficial. Of course, then you've probably already lost.

Multiple Chapels can be good in a Hermit / Market Square deck.
Well you *do* need a signature...

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 11:03:16 am »

Plantation
$6 Action-Duration
(The easy one!  A bit better than Treasury, but I'm not sure I'd take Gold over it often, so maybe it should be 7?)
I'm not sure this is all that good - it's different but not much better than treasury (not as easily throneable, no +action the first time you play it), but probably not better than gold most of the time - because Dominion rewards big swings, rather than consistency.  You don't want £1 extra per turn as much as you want £3 one turn and nothing the other two.

Usually.

Not to say it's a bad card, or unbalanced at 6, but it probably doesn't want to cost 7.

Even at 6 it's likely to struggle to do much more than pay for itself.  You don't get it until turn 5 most of the time, so it doesn't go into play until turn 6 or 7, and the game's over by turn 14 or 15.  Gold you probably get to play 3 times, so actually it works out surprisingly balanced on a 'how much it gives you in the whole game' basis.  But as noted previously, it gives it to you in a levelled out rather than spiky way, and is therefore probably less useful in many games.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 11:40:14 am »

Plantation
$6 Action-Duration
I'm not sure this is all that good - it's different but not much better than treasury (not as easily throneable, no +action the first time you play it), but probably not better than gold most of the time - because Dominion rewards big swings, rather than consistency.  You don't want £1 extra per turn as much as you want £3 one turn and nothing the other two.

Usually.

Not to say it's a bad card, or unbalanced at 6, but it probably doesn't want to cost 7.

Even at 6 it's likely to struggle to do much more than pay for itself.  You don't get it until turn 5 most of the time, so it doesn't go into play until turn 6 or 7, and the game's over by turn 14 or 15.  Gold you probably get to play 3 times, so actually it works out surprisingly balanced on a 'how much it gives you in the whole game' basis.  But as noted previously, it gives it to you in a levelled out rather than spiky way, and is therefore probably less useful in many games.

yes that's all true, but more importantly, the idea "1$ for every turn for the entire game" has already been done, and your version seems like a less interesting (because it doesn't have the victory card drawback) and less elegant (because it has to set itself aside or something, it doesn't work as a duration card) take on the same concept.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.