Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Boneheaded plays  (Read 22961 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
Re: Boneheaded plays
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 05:35:59 pm »

Not sure about the rule nightmare, or the bad implications. When you play a Golem in an actionless deck, you also "may look through your deck". The cards are "almost" in the discard pile anyway while playing the Chancellor (or better on it's way there), and you may look through your discard with Counting House.

When you play Chancellor, flipping your deck is one motion. You're not allowed to look through it, and therefore can't know what it contains other than by memory, so you can't really know if there are Tunnels in it. With Golem and other hunters, you're not looking through your deck, you're revealing cards from it, and of course by definition you're allowed to look at revealed cards.

The "something which no other card allows you to do" was unimportant. The important thing is, Chancellor doesn't allow you to do it.

I'm confused. If Chancellor just said "You may reveal cards from your deck until there are none left. If you do, discard all of them," what would be the rules nightmare?

It would still work with Tunnel, and you wouldn't be looking through your draw deck, but revealing cards from it instead.

Well yes that would fix it, but that's not Chancellor is it? I don't see any way of it working well with Chancellor as it is printed.

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 07:11:35 pm »

Based an entire strategy on going Stables/BM, took forever to get to 5 because of bad luck, and then when I finally did I bought a Saboteur instead of a Stables on accident. Game was essentially over when that happened.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 07:19:48 pm »

Boneheaded plays eh. Well, after a billion games of silently judging people for making super easy mistakes like not buying the last card of the third pile while ahead etc, I got a bit grumpy today after losing a game I felt I was like 95+% to win in the midgame. My opponent then pointed out that I had $8 a few turns before with one Province remaining, but instead bought Duchy (because I thought I had $6. The $2 I got from my Smuggler'd Golem into Jester didn't register in my head I guess).

Guess I shouldn't be judging people so much when apparently I'm the biggest bonehead in existence.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 02:28:21 am »
+1

Looking for Greatest Moments stuff, I just found this game:

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111205-201250-dadffa59.html

Wherein I buy a Fortune Teller even though my opponent is going for Tournaments (Here let me just put that Province on top of your deck for you). Perhaps even more bone-headedly, when I finally play the Fortune Teller, and he has two Tournaments in hand AND A WHARF IN PLAY, he blocks it with his Moat! And I don't think I noticed either of those things at the time.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 02:30:47 am by jotheonah »
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 10:30:33 am »

When you play Chancellor, flipping your deck is one motion. You're not allowed to look through it, and therefore can't know what it contains other than by memory, so you can't really know if there are Tunnels in it. With Golem and other hunters, you're not looking through your deck, you're revealing cards from it, and of course by definition you're allowed to look at revealed cards.
I was not doubting that it is correct that Chancellor does not trigger Tunnel, I was doubting that a variant of Chancellor that would trigger Tunnel would be a nightmare.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 07:55:33 pm »

I was not doubting that it is correct that Chancellor does not trigger Tunnel, I was doubting that a variant of Chancellor that would trigger Tunnel would be a nightmare.

Right, but I never said anything about a Chancellor variant. What would be a nightmare would be allowing you to reveal Tunnels from a deck that you're not allowed to look through.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2011, 02:41:21 am »
+5

My most boneheaded recent play was on a turn where I had Remake-Silver-Copper-Copper-Estate in my hand. My thought process during my opponent's turn was something like this:

"Aha! I have Remake and an estate! On my next turn I shall trash that estate and gain a silver! Won't that be delightful! I sure am looking forward to that silver! And then once I've played my Remake I shall use my remaining treasure in hand to buy a silver as well! Oh yes, I will be gaining mutliple silvers on my next turn! Silver is where it's at! Silver is the place to be!" ...And so on.

So naturally of course when my turn began, I played the Remake, and Isotropic asked me to choose a card to trash, and I clicked... on silver.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 04:47:16 pm »
+1

Just had my most boneheaded play ever. I opened 5/2, Pearl Diver/Tactician, on a Treasure Map board. Sounds good, right?

And then I buy a treasure map. Still sounds good.

And then I think about buying a second treasure map. And somehow forget to actually do it. I spend the whole game wondering why I can never get my Treasure Maps to connect even with all my tacticians.

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2011, 05:50:36 pm »
+5

Gold, Gold, Silver, Copper, Province in hand. Last Province there, I am sure I am gonna win by buying it. But hey, I can buy that Farmlands, trash my gold and get 2 extra VP just in case...turns out it was Fairgrounds and I lost the game because of this.

2/5 opening, I thought for a long time whether to try opening Duchess/Mint..."Oh what the hell, let's do it!" So I picked the Duchess in the first turn and then I bought that freaking Mine and did myself a big old facepalm...

Farmlands/Fairgrounds and Mint/Mine are 2 pairs I really need to check 5 times before the game starts...

dan11295

• Navigator
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2011, 10:42:41 am »

This isn't mine so player shall remain nameless:

cards in supply: Black Market, Cutpurse, Fishing Village, Hunting Party, King's Court, Merchant Ship, Pirate Ship, Potion, Salvager, Thief, and Transmute

— Player A's turn 1 —
   Player A plays 4 Coppers.
   Player A buys a Pirate Ship.
   (Player A draws: 3 Coppers and 2 Estates.)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 08:39:29 pm by dan11295 »

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2011, 02:01:49 pm »

You didn't let the player remain nameless, one copy of their name remains in your post. The 'XXXX draws 3 coppers and 2 estates' line. You may want to fix that.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2011, 09:42:10 am »

The other day, I had a string of stupidity where I kept deciding I needed to play my terminals or Kingdom treasures before my non-terminal money producers (like Lighthouse).   I think I did it 3 or 4 times over the course of several games, and every time I managed to screw myself out of the buy I wanted that turn.  I just really hope it doesn't become a habit.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2011, 02:23:42 pm »

cards in supply: Black Market, Cutpurse, Fishing Village, Hunting Party, King's Court, Merchant Ship, Pirate Ship, Potion, Salvager, Thief, and Transmute

— Player A's turn 1 —

Okay, I've been staring at this, and I’m not sure what the boneheaded portion of this is. I wouldn't have opened with Pirate Ship, but I wouldn't classify it as boneheaded—certainly not to the extent of missing a Province due to miscounting or discarding Treasuries or Alchemists. In fact, a Pirate Ship strategy might work pretty well in a 4-player game since trashing is pretty slow.

What am I missing?
A man has no signature

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2011, 02:27:26 pm »

— Player A's turn 1 —

Okay, I've been staring at this, and I’m not sure what the boneheaded portion of this is. I wouldn't have opened with Pirate Ship, but I wouldn't classify it as boneheaded—certainly not to the extent of missing a Province due to miscounting or discarding Treasuries or Alchemists. In fact, a Pirate Ship strategy might work pretty well in a 4-player game since trashing is pretty slow.

What am I missing?

I guess it's because there are 5 cards in the Kingdom that can produce money. A player should never need to buy Silver or Gold on that Kingdom to do quite well; meaning that the Pirate Ship will do nothing other than remove the opponent's copper for him.

However, I agree that it doesn't qualify as a bonheaded play. Maybe a less-than-ideal strategy, but that's not what this thread was about. Even without other treasure, the Pirate Ship could theoretically get up to $7, at which point it certainly wouldn't be bad to have a few in your deck (along with Fishing Village for + action and more money).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

DrHades

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2011, 09:28:10 am »
+1

Ok, I just made the biggest mistake I have ever made...

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/20/game-20111220-061847-d6e0f9e1.html

I was trashing cards to Bishop when I possessed my opponent and this way I gave him 27VP until I realised that!!! I lost the game by a 22 points difference...

Wierd thing is - I didn't even think about "What will happen when I play Bishop?" I was just sure I will get the points  :D

I demand the BOTY (Bonehead of the Year) titul! (which is kind of a pun, because BOTY means SHOES in my language  ;D)

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2011, 04:17:01 am »

This goes both on the boneheaded plays and the 'dear my opponent, I'm sorry' lists:

In a Worker's Village, Bridge, King's Court game, my opponent gets ridiculously bad luck - never managing to draw his King's Court with anything useful.  On turn 13, I double King's Court my Bridges.  Instead of buying out the Provinces I immediately conclude that I need to 3-pile to end the game.

Only to realize I can't 3-pile.  But I don't have enough buys to get the Provinces anymore because I've now wasted a bunch. 

Despite my idiocy, my opponent STILL can't draw his KC with a Bridge and is unable to close out the game.  So I, like the blind chipmunk who somehow still finds an acorn, stumble to victory by 3-piling it on the next turn.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/21/game-20111221-011213-6c1b7ef7.html

DrHades

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2011, 07:15:43 pm »

I find a month old game in which I got 15 Coppers at the end. Nothing special...but there wasn't Ambassador, Mountebank, not even Goons...I just bought 8 Coppers during the game probably because I was thinking my deck is so full of crap Copper is acctually a good card  ;D

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111122-002748-8d326fd3.html

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 04:03:22 pm »
+2

Didn't save the log but... Today I played a game with Alchemist and Chapel. Chapeled down to 3 coppers and a potion so I could buy an Alchemist every turn, opponent did the same, opponent bought the last one for a five-five split.

"Well, no more potion-cost cards on the board, guess I might as well chapel this potion to keep my deck trimmed..."

I then proceeded to have the least effective Alchemist stack ever.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 04:17:04 pm »
+5

This goes both on the boneheaded plays and the 'dear my opponent, I'm sorry' lists:

In a Worker's Village, Bridge, King's Court game, my opponent gets ridiculously bad luck - never managing to draw his King's Court with anything useful.  On turn 13, I double King's Court my Bridges.  Instead of buying out the Provinces I immediately conclude that I need to 3-pile to end the game.

Only to realize I can't 3-pile.  But I don't have enough buys to get the Provinces anymore because I've now wasted a bunch. 

Despite my idiocy, my opponent STILL can't draw his KC with a Bridge and is unable to close out the game.  So I, like the blind chipmunk who somehow still finds an acorn, stumble to victory by 3-piling it on the next turn.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/21/game-20111221-011213-6c1b7ef7.html

(olneyce draws: 2 King's Courts and 3 Bridges.)

My favorite part of this.

glasser

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2011, 12:23:19 am »

Didn't save the log but... Today I played a game with Alchemist and Chapel. Chapeled down to 3 coppers and a potion so I could buy an Alchemist every turn, opponent did the same, opponent bought the last one for a five-five split.

"Well, no more potion-cost cards on the board, guess I might as well chapel this potion to keep my deck trimmed..."

I then proceeded to have the least effective Alchemist stack ever.

Heh, and I felt dumb enough when I let the same logic convince me I should discard potion to Stables in an Alchemist stack...

chogg

• Bishop
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2011, 11:21:09 am »

Highway/Talisman combo on a board with no +Buy: automatically grabbed Labs, instead of already-upgraded Cities.  :P

Copernicus

• Baron
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2012, 09:24:48 pm »

Buying Jack of All Trades before noticing it's a Colony game.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2012, 09:40:57 pm »

Buying Jack of All Trades before noticing it's a Colony game.
I mean, you should probably have realized that, but that's probably not even BAD, let alone boneheaded.

dysprog

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2012, 10:45:53 am »

In a Colony game, I had a nice little KC-Treasury engine that was buying a platinum every turn, and a Bishop to grind last turn's platinum in to points.

One miss-click later, my accidentally KC-ed Bishop trashed the other KC and 2 Treasuries, wrecking the engine. The pile of points that it gave me was not enough to compensate.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2012, 02:54:34 pm »
+1

Resurrecting this thread to post this lovely gem:

--- jtotheonah's turn 21 ---
jtotheonah plays a Counting House.
... but there are no Coppers in the discard pile.
jtotheonah plays a Platinum, a Potion, and 2 Golds.
jtotheonah buys a Colony.
(jtotheonah reshuffles.)
(jtotheonah draws: a Hamlet, a Copper, a Lookout, and 2 Golds.)

Hard to tell from the log, but I played Counting House with a single card left in my draw pile. It turned up nothing. The one card in my draw pile was (it turns out) my only Copper.  That's also the first and only time I played that Counting House, which I ended up trashing with my Lookout.

I have no idea what possessed me to buy the Counting House in the first place.

Game link: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120211-120106-ea4ed891.html

He/him
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 21 queries.