Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Boneheaded plays  (Read 22959 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Boneheaded plays
« on: December 07, 2011, 12:15:23 pm »

Ok, so share your secret shames. I'm not talking about misclicks, but intentionally doing something that was just such a completely obvious blunder. Mine: Playing an Embassy after having drawn my entire deck. I played it for no reason other than that I could, and was forced to discard useful things.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

natey

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
Re: Boneheaded plays
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 01:26:51 pm »
+2

Becoming completely dependent on isotropic, going back to a real life game, and discarding my treasuries after every turn. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 01:29:22 pm by natey »

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 02:17:20 pm »

Going for a Talisman, Village, Great Hall rush. Only to remember that Talismans don't work on VPs waaaay too late.

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 02:56:24 pm »

Highway-Highway-Highway-Highway-Highway-Highway-Apprentice: mm, trashing my Gold to draw no cards.

Before Hinterlands, Bridge-Bridge-Salvager, when I had the Salvager in hand at the time I played the first Bridge, and coming up $2 short of being able to buy two Provinces to end the game.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 03:07:13 pm »

Going for a Talisman, Village, Great Hall rush. Only to remember that Talismans don't work on VPs waaaay too late.

I've done the same thing before, only replace Great Hall wit Nobles and throw in a Quarry.

A friend of mine didn't understand how KC worked with Shanty Town the first time we played with both cards in the kingdom and he started stocking up on both of them, thinking that he could KC - Shanty Town, reveal no actions in hand, then draw 6 cards. We then told him that you had to reveal your hand after each play of Shanty Town, and naturally, with a deck as dense in actions as his, he wasn't getting more than +2 cards from each play of KC.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 03:30:51 pm »
+6

I think the most bone-headed thing I've ever done was tryng to use Scheme to facilitate treasure maps.

The most bone-headed thing I've seen someone do is buy a Feast with a 5/2 opening. When I asked why he did, he said he wasn"t interested in any of the $5 cards...  ;D

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 03:56:24 pm »

I think the most bone-headed thing I've ever done was tryng to use Scheme to facilitate treasure maps.

I tried using scheme to augment my minion stack... that didn't work out so well, hahaha.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 06:35:24 pm »
+1

I used swindler to turn somebody's cost 5 action into a Duke (normally fine). Then I realized I hadn't been paying attention and he already had 5 Duchies.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 06:46:02 pm »

The most bone-headed thing I've seen someone do is buy a Feast with a 5/2 opening. When I asked why he did, he said he wasn"t interested in any of the $5 cards...  ;D

Made my day!

This thread reminds me of the nombo thread.
There I already posted:

Once I made the mistake and buyed Quarry with the intent to play Workshop/Ironworks/University to gain better cards.
I think you know why that didn't work.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 08:58:21 pm »

In the Dominion Strategy tournament, my hand was 3xSilver, Masquerade and Duchy. 1 Province left, 1 Duke left. I play masquerade in hopes of getting a Province. This requires me to pass my opponent a Duchy. I then buy the last Province and proceed to lose by 1 point when I could have bought the Duke for the win. The kicker? We had autocount on and I forgot to use it. -___-

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 01:11:36 am »
+1

As discussed in another thread, I played 3 copper to the Black Market and then played my Coppersmith for reasons that I can no longer fathom.

When I first started playing with non-basic cards on iso, I painstakingly built a deck with a Golem and no actions but Treasure Maps, which is probably even more disappointing than Treasure Map-Scheme.

Both pretty much reading-the-cards fail.

And then there's all the double-Province buys I've missed because Grand Market was out and I didn't realize I had Copper that wasn't autoplaying.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +596
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 09:52:05 am »
+4

The first time I ever played with Forge.  "Sweet, I can trash all these 3's and 4's I no longer need - and the total cost is way above 11, so Colony, here I come!"

...yeah, turns out the word "exactly" is pretty, um, exact.

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 02:02:40 pm »

Yeah, just yesterday I trashed a copper, gold and spy thinking it I would gain a province. Oops (was thinking of the treasure values of course).

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 02:13:36 pm »
+12

"Oooh, here's two Silver, two Copper, and a Province.  There's only 1 Province left and the Duchies are all out -- guess I'll take a Farmland!"

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 02:22:16 pm »

Yeah, just yesterday I trashed a copper, gold and spy thinking it I would gain a province. Oops (was thinking of the treasure values of course).

I had a game recently where I spaced out and, seeing Estates in the category of "crap I'm removing from my deck," Forged 2 Silvers and 2 Estates into nothing instead of the Goons I wanted. (Whether Silver+Estate = City or 2 Silvers = Goons is better in this particular spot is a worthwhile question.) It was actually a pretty interesting game overall:

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111125-151124-01f8d36f.html

first

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 02:09:12 am »
+1

I bought 7 Cartographers so that I could draw all my good cards consistently. Unfortunately, I forgot to add 'good' cards to my deck. I only had Bishops, Border Villages, one Quarry, and one Silver.

Also, I discovered that Chancellor's effect flips your deck, not discards, after I tried Tunnel/Chancellor with no other Tunnel-activator.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 02:12:01 am by first »

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 01:16:50 pm »
+2

1. My boneheaded plays: I often buy an estate when the game is winding down and I have 3 or 4 when there is tunnel on the board. Also, I return more than two menageries to the top with schemes (although I'm rarely complaining when I make this mistake.)

2. The chancellor/tunnel thing made me sad - chancellor is a card that every dominion player wishes could get more love. I wouldn't mind if there were just a totally broken opening with chancellor. (Here's a question - misread chancellor + tunnel > mint + fool's gold as opening?)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 06:28:02 am »
+1

I played Harvest, when my entire deck was in my hand…

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 10:01:29 am »

I always make stupid mistakes when playing highway and forgetting that it lowers cost.
Let's see I've played highway and have $7, I need $8 for a province, so lets buy a duchy. That little move cost me a game a few days ago.

Razzishi

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eye Urn
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 10:08:45 pm »

Playing Mountebank then Goons/Militia instead of the other way around.
Stop reading my signature.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 07:20:46 am »

The chancellor/tunnel thing made me sad - chancellor is a card that every dominion player wishes could get more love. I wouldn't mind if there were just a totally broken opening with chancellor.

It would be nice to give Chancellor another boost (Inn does pretty nicely as well), but it would be a rules nightmare. In order to find those Tunnels you'd have to look through your deck, something which no other card allows you to do. Under what situations are you allowed to do this? If there are Tunnels in the game? What if there's only one and your opponent has it? If there are Tunnels in your deck? How do you keep track of that? If there are Tunnels in your draw pile? Even harder to keep track of. It just doesn't work, and Tunnel is only a printable card because Chancellor doesn't "discard" the cards in your deck.

Of course, if Dominion was designed as a computer game, an epic Chancellor/Tunnel combo would be perfectly fine.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 07:51:25 am »

Not sure about the rule nightmare, or the bad implications. When you play a Golem in an actionless deck, you also "may look through your deck". The cards are "almost" in the discard pile anyway while playing the Chancellor (or better on it's way there), and you may look through your discard with Counting House.

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 04:13:38 pm »

I'm confused. If Chancellor just said "You may reveal cards from your deck until there are none left. If you do, discard all of them," what would be the rules nightmare?

It would still work with Tunnel, and you wouldn't be looking through your draw deck, but revealing cards from it instead.

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 04:31:48 pm »

I still don't understand why "put your deck in your discard pile" doesn't count as discarding in the first place.  Discard from hand vs discard from deck is a distinction, yes, but no different from gain vs gain on top of deck. 

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 04:34:48 pm »
+1

I still don't understand why "put your deck in your discard pile" doesn't count as discarding in the first place.  Discard from hand vs discard from deck is a distinction, yes, but no different from gain vs gain on top of deck.

I guess the answer is, it doesn't count as discarding because it doesn't say "discard", and it's already the case that not all ways of putting something in your discard pile count as discarding. (E.g., when you gain a card normally, you put it into your discard pile, but you're not "discarding" it.) Given that, "putting into discard pile" doesn't automatically entail "discarding".
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.