Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17  All

Author Topic: New Promo at Origins...  (Read 137374 times)

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
Re: New Promo at Origins...
« Reply #225 on: June 14, 2014, 02:12:57 pm »

I think my favorite 4 cost would in fact be something like a simple Smithy or Envoy.
Starting every turn with so many cards makes everything much easier.
I agree. It probably give you the chance to set up another Prince on a +Buy card.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

silvern

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 14, 2014, 02:14:53 pm »

I think my favorite 4 cost would in fact be something like a simple Smithy or Envoy.
I agree. It probably give you the chance to set up another Prince on a +Buy card.
+Buy certainly seems like it would be pretty important in some capacity in any Prince game--you have to make up the lost turns buying and connecting prince. Also why Colony games are better for Prince--you have more opportunities and more turns to make up the points.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 14, 2014, 02:20:06 pm »

Why does the card have 'you may' at the beginning? I can't see why.  Because Golem needs the help?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 14, 2014, 02:26:04 pm »

Why does the card have 'you may' at the beginning? I can't see why.  Because Golem needs the help?

Also Herald, HoP, Peddler, various fixed draw cards... But yeah, it probably would have been fine without the option.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #229 on: June 14, 2014, 03:25:19 pm »

It also helps with the accountability problem: now there are very few situations where someone would want to set it aside when they don't have an Action in their hand that they want to set aside.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 14, 2014, 03:29:02 pm »

Well, if it doesn't have "you may", you could be forced to set it aside with nothing!

I thought it was just a one-shot, that you had to keep both the Prince and the set-aside card set aside every turn.
But now I realize the Prince just gets cleaned up and you can set more cards aside with it, making it even more powerful.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #231 on: June 14, 2014, 03:30:39 pm »

Well, if it doesn't have "you may", you could be forced to set it aside with nothing!

I thought it was just a one-shot, that you had to keep both the Prince and the set-aside card set aside every turn.
But now I realize the Prince just gets cleaned up and you can set more cards aside with it, making it even more powerful.
???

I'm still thinking it is just a one-shot.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 14, 2014, 03:39:00 pm »
+7

It's funny, having read the whole thread, seeing people who post the same thing twice.

I've been reading through the whole thread...it's funny to see people post the same thing twice.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 14, 2014, 03:41:15 pm »

How ? I read nowhere that set aside cards get cleaned up.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 14, 2014, 03:41:43 pm »

???

I'm still thinking it is just a one-shot.
Oh yeah, it is, it doesn't mention cleaning up though.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #235 on: June 14, 2014, 03:41:50 pm »

If I remember right, the FAQ says it stays set aside.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 14, 2014, 04:13:13 pm »

Yep. So the situation is really, Prince on Band works one way because it does what the cards say, and Throne on Band as Feast works a different way because it does something different than what the cards say, because of this special-case ruling.
Throne/Band/Feast works the way it does because no-one having that experience was ever going to figure out that Band did nothing the second time. It was counterintuitive minus zero / no limit, and did not come up in time to put an answer in the FAQ. Prince does not have the same issue, it never tries to play Band from the trash.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 14, 2014, 04:21:37 pm »

Also Herald, HoP, Peddler, various fixed draw cards... But yeah, it probably would have been fine without the option.
I missed the Peddler and HoP interactions, thanks.

blaisepascal

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 14, 2014, 04:43:44 pm »
+1

This is probably a stupid question: What happens to the Prince at the end of the game?

Island explicitly says (of the cards set aside) "Return them to your deck at the end of the game".

Native Village has a similar explicit statements, about cards on the Native Village mat returning to the deck.

Prince does not. Does that mean it and it's action card stays set aside at game end, and so you don't benefit from them for scoring?
If you Prince a Great Hall, do you get the Great Hall's victory point?
If you are playing Gardens, do you count the Prince and it's target as cards in your deck to score?
If you are playing Vineyards, do you count the Prince and it's target as actions in your deck to score?

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 14, 2014, 04:45:41 pm »

You return Princes and whatever Princed cards to your deck before scoring, so yes, your Princed Great Hall would still give you 1 VP at the end, and both would count for Gardens and Vineyards. Same happens to Durations, cards set aside by Haven and Horse Traders, for instance, if they are still not in your deck at the end of the game.

RD

• Thief
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 14, 2014, 05:56:36 pm »
+1

I was really trying to make "King of X" work for King's Court but somehow it just isn't the same. Funny, that. All I managed to do was get "King of Wishful Thinking" stuck in my head.

This has been my thinking too. If you can get big draw reliably and draw up your other Actions, it's as good as Princing all of them. That's got to be your plan A, right? If it isn't available, then something else.

Of course the cool thing about Prince (and maybe the time it has the biggest impact?) is the ability to play cards when you don't have an engine, but you work with what's there.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 14, 2014, 06:08:05 pm »
+1

This is probably a stupid question: What happens to the Prince at the end of the game?

Island explicitly says (of the cards set aside) "Return them to your deck at the end of the game".

Native Village has a similar explicit statements, about cards on the Native Village mat returning to the deck.

As I wrote in the rule thread it's in the basic rules of the game:

("Each player puts all his cards into his Deck ...".)
(I think the reason this basic rule sometimes is forgotten is that Island and Native Village say this explicitly as well.)

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 14, 2014, 06:38:05 pm »

Totally different topic: this might be one of my favorite card arts.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #243 on: June 14, 2014, 06:43:27 pm »
+4

Totally different topic: this might be one of my favorite card arts.
It's the same topic though. This is a totally different topic.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 15, 2014, 03:28:48 am »
+8

It's funny, having read the whole thread, seeing people who post the same thing twice.

I set my post aside, and then post it again at the start of every turn.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 15, 2014, 04:47:38 am »

This has been my thinking too. If you can get big draw reliably and draw up your other Actions, it's as good as Princing all of them. That's got to be your plan A, right? If it isn't available, then something else.

Of course the cool thing about Prince (and maybe the time it has the biggest impact?) is the ability to play cards when you don't have an engine, but you work with what's there.
I think the other major case is where you Prince a +1 Action card to act as a guaranteed Village (or Prince a Village as a guaranteed Crossroads) to get an engine going.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #246 on: June 15, 2014, 06:18:36 am »

I think the other major case is where you Prince a +1 Action card to act as a guaranteed Village (or Prince a Village as a guaranteed Crossroads) to get an engine going.
Or Prince a Crossroads. Which probably is a pretty good idea for other reasons too, now that I think of it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 15, 2014, 08:36:27 am »
+8

What you Prince often comes down to what it collides with. You really don't want to wait another shuffle to use it.

dan11295

• Navigator
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 15, 2014, 09:01:50 am »

Given the opportunity cost (has to be better to get this than Province) it is certainly better in a Colony Game. Question is what cards work best with it. Ignoring cards it doesn't work on, and cursers (harder to get to 8 in cursing games and they will likely be almost empty before you could Prince one anyways). my thoughts are:

Militia - Leave your opponent with a 3 card hand for the rest of the game if no defense is available
Monument - +2 coin +1 vp every turn.
Smithy - 8 Card hand every turn.

These are cards you often want anyways so you are likely to collide them with Prince, as opposed to buying a card just to Prince it. Although Prince of Thieves and Pirate Ship would be nasty in games with limited sources of virtual money.

Prince of Throne Room could actually be dangerous with trashers on the board. Any hand with Remake and a Province = bad if you don't have another action to Throne.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 15, 2014, 09:20:16 am »

Yeah, Prince of militia seems very painful.
Among the best prince-able cards, I like Oracle too. Spy effect + Draw every turn seems not bad at all. Or Prince of Courtyard. Interesting to note that Prince of menagerie is not that good, given that there are less chances to have only unique cards. But the most surprisingly powerful, beside Scheme, is probably Prince of herbalists.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.