Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17  All

Author Topic: New Promo at Origins...  (Read 137443 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: New Promo at Origins...
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2014, 09:27:55 am »
+1

If I have a Princed Bridge and a Princed Band of Misfits, and I play the Bridge first, is the Band of Misfits also reduced in cost, or can he now emulate "$5" cards?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

silvern

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2014, 09:30:45 am »

Presumably it is also reduced in cost--Bridge makes it clear that it affects "all cards", which I assume includes set aside ones too.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 14, 2014, 09:32:24 am »
+3

Yeah, and I wondered why it took so long to point out "Prince of Monuments". And noone even mentioned the "Prince of Cellars". :(
Because Prince of Warehouses is better.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 14, 2014, 09:52:34 am »

Yeah, and I wondered why it took so long to point out "Prince of Monuments". And noone even mentioned the "Prince of Cellars". :(
Because Prince of Warehouses is better.
yes, it's unlikely that you want to sift more than 3 cards from a 5card hand

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 14, 2014, 10:39:21 am »

(Anyhow, I see Donald X has answered the question at the root of this. Though I still don't really understand why Throne Room and Prince work differently in this respect.)

With Prince, the BoM is entering play, leaving play, and entering play again, as part of resolving Prince multiple times. When BoM enters play the second time, its text instructs you to pick a card for it to imitate.

With Throne Room, the BoM enters play, leaves play, and then is played again, but does not enter play again;

But, as I say above, Band of Misfits tells you what happens when you "play this", not when it "enters play".
Band of Misfits reverts to being a Band of Misfits when it leaves play, which happens when you set it aside (the set aside area is not "in play").

The same thing happens when Band of Misfits is trashed (as a Death Cart or Feast, e.g.), but that doesn't allow Throne Room to play Band of Misfits as Feast once and as something else the second time.

So when Card X plays Band of Misfits twice, and Band of Misfits leaves play between the two occasions, then Band of Misfits can be two different things if X is Prince but it has to be the same thing twice if X is Throne Room. Right?

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 14, 2014, 10:45:06 am »
+3

Did you ever know about Harald, the "Herald prince"?

Harold Prince

Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is an Action card costing up to $4, set aside this and the revealed card. Play the revealed card at the beginning of each of your turns, setting it aside when it is discarded from play.

…See, he produces a play.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 14, 2014, 10:51:29 am »

So when Card X plays Band of Misfits twice, and Band of Misfits leaves play between the two occasions, then Band of Misfits can be two different things if X is Prince but it has to be the same thing twice if X is Throne Room. Right?

TR does not put a card into play twice. It plays it twice, but puts it into play once (the first time). Prince puts the card into play several times, because it explicitly makes the card leave and enter play each time. I guess TR cannot put the card into play again because 1. it would not make sense if the card is in play, where TR left it. 2. it could not put it into play from anywhere else, because TR would have lost track of it.

Thus, what makes Prince able to change BoM is the fact that the card is put into play several times, not the fact that it leaves play in between. I guess while you are playing BoM the second time as Feast, the BoM in the trash is actually a BoM and costs $5.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 14, 2014, 10:58:47 am »
+1

TR does not put a card into play twice. It plays it twice, but puts it into play once (the first time).

I know that, but why does it matter? Band of Misfits tells you that you choose a card for it to impersonate when you "Play this", not when you put it into play.

silvern

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 14, 2014, 11:00:25 am »

I know that, but why does it matter? Band of Misfits tells you that you choose a card for it to impersonate when you "Play this", not when you put it into play.
"This is that card until it leaves play"
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 11:02:16 am by silvern »

azadin

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 14, 2014, 11:02:43 am »

TR does not put a card into play twice. It plays it twice, but puts it into play once (the first time).

When it's played, it becomes the card you choose until it leaves play. If you throne room it, you play the BoM, choose a card, and now the BoM is that card. Throne Room says you play an action twice, so you play the card BoM has become, twice. It doesn't matter if the Throne Room has lost track of the card, the Throne Room doesn't care. It plays the action of the card (which BoM became) twice.

With Prince, it leaves play when it is set aside and is played again on the next turn.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 14, 2014, 11:03:36 am »

"This is that card until it leaves play"

It leaves play under Prince and under Throne Room as Feast.

silvern

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 14, 2014, 11:06:12 am »

True enough. I guess it boils down to the whole Procession vs Throne Room thing again, i.e. with Procession, you gain a Six coin action according to the rule book, even though it should have "locked in" to what the card was just like throne room.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 14, 2014, 11:12:53 am »

When it's played, it becomes the card you choose until it leaves play. If you throne room it, you play the BoM, choose a card, and now the BoM is that card. Throne Room says you play an action twice, so you play the card BoM has become, twice. It doesn't matter if the Throne Room has lost track of the card, the Throne Room doesn't care. It plays the action of the card (which BoM became) twice.

Throne Room doesn't say to play "the action of that card". It says "play it"—i.e., the card. Prince likewise says "play that Action". I don't understand why when Throne Room plays a Band of Misfits that it has played before but that is not in play now one thing happens, while when Prince plays a Band of Misfits that it has played before but that is not in play now a different thing happens.

With Prince, it leaves play when it is set aside and is played again on the next turn.

With Throne Room–Band of Misfits (Feast), it leaves play when it is trashed and is played again on the same turn.

silvern

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 14, 2014, 11:15:38 am »
+1

From the "BoM as Feast?" thread:

Throne on a Band as a one-shot has a special ruling, unique to that situation, and that special ruling is why it works that way, in the technical sense. And the reason for that ruling was that the rulebook didn't address it, and I wanted it to work like people would think it would, and the other option (not doing anything the second time) was crazy counterintuitive.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 11:19:59 am by silvern »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 14, 2014, 11:20:20 am »

No, it doesn't. It says, "Play this as if it were an Action card in the Supply…"

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 14, 2014, 11:40:08 am »
+1

From the "BoM as Feast?" thread:

Throne on a Band as a one-shot has a special ruling, unique to that situation, and that special ruling is why it works that way, in the technical sense. And the reason for that ruling was that the rulebook didn't address it, and I wanted it to work like people would think it would, and the other option (not doing anything the second time) was crazy counterintuitive.

Yep. So the situation is really, Prince on Band works one way because it does what the cards say, and Throne on Band as Feast works a different way because it does something different than what the cards say, because of this special-case ruling.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 01:09:16 pm by AJD »

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 14, 2014, 11:40:28 am »

No, it doesn't. It says, "Play this as if it were an Action card in the Supply…"

Right, not "Put this into play as if it were an Action card in the Supply".

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 14, 2014, 12:18:55 pm »
+1

Prince of Rats!   ;D
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 14, 2014, 12:22:18 pm »

It's funny, having read the whole thread, seeing people who post the same thing twice.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 14, 2014, 12:26:41 pm »
+16

It's funny, having read the whole thread, seeing people who post the same thing twice.

But the second time the post is not put into play again.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 14, 2014, 01:00:47 pm »

Prince of Rebuild

Honestly, that would actually probably suck because you are missing a rebuild turn plus you paid $8 to buy a Prince, and how did you get $8 anyway if you're playing Rebuild.

silvern

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 14, 2014, 01:02:29 pm »
+4

I anticipate that prince will be much MUCH stronger in Colony games.
Also, is it just me, or does the guy in the picture look scarily close to baron?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 01:13:37 pm by silvern »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 14, 2014, 01:25:32 pm »

The original post now quotes a response to the post itself?  theory, you need to do something before the spacetime continuum collapses!
Well you *do* need a signature...

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 14, 2014, 01:52:22 pm »

I think my favorite 4 cost would in fact be something like a simple Smithy or Envoy.
Starting every turn with so many cards makes everything much easier.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 14, 2014, 01:52:51 pm »

We can also have a Prince of Thieves!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.