Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17  All

Author Topic: New Promo at Origins...  (Read 137379 times)

azadin

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
Re: New Promo at Origins...
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2014, 03:41:52 pm »

After three highways, prince of king's court.  8)

So mechanics question. Does the cost of the card you set aside have to be 4 the first time you play Prince, or does its cost have to be 4 or less at the end of each turn from then on out? The wording seems to imply that it only has to cost 4 when you initially play Prince and set the card aside with it. This seems crazy strong.

Also, if you Prince the King's Court, and play a duration card with it, would the King's Court get set back on the Prince, or would it go with the duration card, thereby losing it's Prince status afterward?

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2014, 03:43:27 pm »

Also, if you Prince the King's Court, and play a duration card with it, would the King's Court get set back on the Prince, or would it go with the duration card, thereby losing it's Prince status afterward?

The latter.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2014, 03:43:42 pm »
+9

Goko should make this card cost 4 for like the first week it's released, just so that we can all get our craziness fix.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2014, 03:45:15 pm »

So mechanics question. Does the cost of the card you set aside have to be 4 the first time you play Prince, or does its cost have to be 4 or less at the end of each turn from then on out? The wording seems to imply that it only has to cost 4 when you initially play Prince and set the card aside with it. This seems crazy strong.

It just has to be $4 or less when you set it aside with Prince initially.

Ooh, I've never had this happen. I think it doesn't get discarded, so you don't get to keep playing it. Better not use your precious Prince of the King's Court to play a Duration.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2014, 03:45:39 pm »

Goko should make this card cost 4 for like the first week it's released, just so that we can all get our craziness fix.
h
Actually, Prince on Prince does not work, because each play on the inner Prince will either do nothing or set it aside and thus forever lose the outer Prince effect.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2014, 03:46:29 pm »
+1

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=1204.msg387920#msg387920

You could easily set up horrible pins with this card and Possession.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2014, 03:47:05 pm »

Oh man, it's plenty crazy at $8. I mean, I haven't played it against elite players, so maybe I won't have time to set Prince up in more online games. But using Prince on pretty much anything is awesome, so that helps you get some use out of it before the game ends.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2014, 03:49:23 pm »
+2

Imagine if princing a prince worked. I don't think anyone would complain ever again about duration cards.

"I princed a prince two turns ago, and at the beginning of the previous turn I played the prince to prince a prince. So this turn I play prince twice to prince a smithy and a militia, and next turn I will start my turn by drawing three cards, making you discard down to three, and then princing a bridge and another smithy before my real turn even begins. Now, is this smithy here one I played with prince, or one I played during my turn?"

-> Needs more "yo dawg".
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:50:36 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2014, 03:49:52 pm »
+22

Lord Bottington is going to love his Prince of Rats.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2014, 03:50:02 pm »

Prince of Herbalists would probably be a cool dark horse in Colony games.

prince of herbalist is actually super amazing.  province/colony every turn once you have your golds/silvers/plats (or whatever you need to get to 8 or 11) in play
It'd also allow you to Double Province a lot easier than you normally would, and you'd probably be doing some of that if you're setting up a Prince thing while the other person is pounding Colonies.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2014, 03:53:10 pm »
+11

Prince a Hermit for unlimited Madmen (you don't trash the Hermit)
Well you *do* need a signature...

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2014, 03:54:06 pm »

Just thinking about using Prince with almost any action card is interesting. (Where are the Prince of Scout jokes, by the way?) But when I think of having two (or more) Princes with actions to play in the order you want then my mind really boggles. Suppose you have Princes of Bridge and Workshop/Armory when competing for the Minion split or something similar. Or a Beggar Prince with Prince of Coppersmith for extra $6 each turn.

Maybe it's too hard to set up even one Prince, so two Princes will take too much time? (DOTB.)

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2014, 04:00:26 pm »

A princed Prince does nothing because you'll fail to trigger the "If you do" clause in "You may set this aside. If you do, set aside an Action card" at the beginning of each turn. I don't think the princes lose track of each other, they're identical twins after all.
I'm not sure why you think this... the Princed Prince is already set aside, so "set this aside" just means put it where it already is.  Clause trivially triggered.  Unless there are specifically two different "aside" places, one for Princes and one for targets of Prince.  Then the Princed Prince would, on some turn after he's played, "move" from the aside-space for Prince targets to the aside-space for Princes, and you'd get to put another action on that Prince.  So it either goes crazy, or it lets you put a target on the second Prince, once, on some later turn.  But I don't see how it would do nothing at all. 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2014, 04:00:40 pm »

(Where are the Prince of Scout jokes, by the way?)
Scout isn't actually bad when it doesn't cost a card in your hand and gives you an extra action.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2014, 04:03:30 pm »
+1

(Where are the Prince of Scout jokes, by the way?)
Scout isn't actually bad when it doesn't cost a card in your hand and gives you an extra action.

True, but the opportunity cost of not having Princed something else can be quite high.

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2014, 04:03:54 pm »

You also don't discard the Hermit from play because it's set aside with Prince, and stays there.  So you never trigger the effect, "When you discard this from play... gain a Madman."  Sorry. 

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2014, 04:07:45 pm »
+3

You also don't discard the Hermit from play because it's set aside with Prince, and stays there.  So you never trigger the effect, "When you discard this from play... gain a Madman."  Sorry.
No, you do discard it from play. That triggers two effects: Prince's and Hermit's, and you get to decide the order. If you choose wrong, you'll lose the Hermit, but if you don't, you get to keep it.

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2014, 04:13:12 pm »
+1

No, you do discard it from play. That triggers two effects: Prince's and Hermit's, and you get to decide the order. If you choose wrong, you'll lose the Hermit, but if you don't, you get to keep it.
Right, don't have the exact words of Prince down yet... and Hermit doesn't even have an "if you do" to guard the gain-Madman effect, just "trash this and gain a Madman."  Although one might argue that even if you pick the Prince effect first, it's possible for the Hermit to trash himself from set-aside-land.  A card can't exactly lose track of itself, can it? 

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2014, 04:15:53 pm »

And of course we can hypothetically strategize about the card before we even play it... anyone think that, given the chance, you might want to Swindle your opponent's Prince into a Province? :) 

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2014, 04:18:05 pm »
+6

And of course we can hypothetically strategize about the card before we even play it... anyone think that, given the chance, you might want to Swindle your opponent's Prince into a Province? :)
If my opponent has wanted a Prince instead of a Province, the odds are that I want him to have a Province instead of a Prince.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2014, 04:18:48 pm »
+9

To expand on this a bit more (this post will be worth $3 more than Awaclus'), this is what happens:

1. You discard Hermit from play (without buying anything).  This triggers Prince and Hermit.
2. You decide which to do first.  If you choose Prince (which is all I'll worry about here):
3. You set the Hermit aside, being able to play it again next turn.
4. You try to trash the Hermit, but can't because it has lost track of itself.  You still gain the Madman.

PPE: Yes, a card can lose track of itself.  Most cases of losing track are a card losing track of itself (TR-Mining Village for instance).
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2014, 04:29:06 pm »
+3

If my opponent has wanted a Prince instead of a Province, the odds are that I want him to have a Province instead of a Prince.

Well. If you give him a Prince, he will still play it a shuffle later. A whole shuffle can make a big difference and make another Prince preferable. Also, there are tons of tactical considerations regarding parity of the Provinces and how the game status is at the moment.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2014, 04:36:32 pm »

The real question is, what use does Prince have in puzzles like emptying the supply in 3 turns? none :(

My first thought was "Prince of death cart oh my gosh" but it doesn't work :(

Prince of scavenger + Prince of scheme = start every turn with an empty deck, 2 actions, 2 coins, 4 cards, 1 card schemed from last turn, and 1 card of your choice in your deck.

Prince of steward for trashing each turn - but only if you want it. Prince of sea hag though...

But actually I'm going to guess that this card is actually below average in terms of how often you get one.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2014, 04:44:47 pm »

I think the main use of Prince is when you are already pretty thin and (almost) guaranteed to connect it with the correct Action, so trashing won't necessarily be the best target.

EDIT: Cool, I'm a Margrave now.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 04:46:13 pm by Awaclus »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2014, 04:45:32 pm »
+1

Prince of Sea Hag is just going to discard your opponent's top card every turn. The curses will almost be empty before you can even get a Prince. You may even play Sea Hag instead of Princing it just to give out the last curse.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.