Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Interesting board: is a Highway mega turn feasible  (Read 2201 times)

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
Interesting board: is a Highway mega turn feasible
« on: December 07, 2011, 09:38:40 am »

I just played this game and I pondered going for a Native Village fueled mega turn with Highways and Remakes, but decided against it because I didn't know if it was a viable strategy on this board if the other guy steals some of your Highways.

Here's a solitaire game where I got 4 Colonies in 18 turns but I don't really know how to play it correctly (I'm very bad with Remake).

MasterAir

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting board: is a Highway mega turn feasible
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 10:14:14 am »

I'm not sure I follow.  In order to remake things into Colonies you need to reduce their cost to 1 - play 10 cost reductions.  I don't think that's feasible on any board, with the possible exception of KCed bridges.  In which case you have the buys to go nuts with anyway.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.  I don't think this board looks suitable for the turn you're after, unless your opponent is dozing.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 11:59:52 am »

If you are uncontested for the Highways, then you could try to get 7 of them, 4 remakes, +enough spare cards on the NV mat, and then buy out the entire stack of Provinces.  If it is quick enough, it might beat a Colony strategy.  Getting all 10 for Colonies seems like it would probably be too difficult with not enough of them left by the time you got there.

Edit:
In a thrown together, probably far from optimal strategy, I got there in 26 turns.   I pretty much bought everything first and then went crazy with the Native Villages, which I think slowed it down a lot.  It might need +buy.  Optimized, it might be able to pull it off before your opponent got 5 Colonies (but they would also have to not buy any of your Provinces).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 12:08:29 pm by Deadlock39 »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 02:31:58 pm »

Possibly yes. On your last turn you can

- take all the cards from the native village mat
- with 1 highway in play, remake coppers into two native villages (if needed) and play highways to draw them
- with 3 highways in play, remake coppers into remakes (if needed) and play highways to draw them
- with 4 highways in play, remake coppers into highways (if needed)
- with 7 highways in play, do 4 remakes of anything into provinces.

It's a bit haphazard though since it's very difficult to rebalance the deck once the wrong cards go onto the mat. Add menageries or wishing wells to the kingdom and I bet you can do it. Extra buys or gains would be helpful but then you'd just skip the native villages entirely. A wise opponent can probably block it anyway.

hobo386

• Salvager
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 03:07:58 pm »

Along with the thought of using it to clear out provinces, you can always try BM/highway + 1 remake, ignore native villages, and remake your coppers into silver/highways/golds.

Though treasure map is pretty good with haven.  Personally, I still would've picked up a remake at some point though.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 06:57:05 pm »

I've had a another look at this and you just struggle to actually have enough cards, full stop. For the super turn you need a minimum of 7 highways, 4 remakes, 8 target cards for remake, and 3 villages. 22 cards is a lot since you almost inevitably lose some copper trashed out to remakes and you pretty much have to buy a card every turn, even if it is copper.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 08:02:50 pm »

I can almost make this happen in about 20 turns pretty consistently, but it is extremely complicated, and every tiny mistake utterly breaks it.  It the strategy could be absolutely perfected, I think it would actually be consistent, but you have to know exactly what to do if the wrong cards get grabbed by the NV.  I was trying to get a solitaire log put together, but I broke it with dumb mistakes too many times, and have given up.  I had the entire combo set up on turn 19 twice, and did not pay attention to my actions and ran out because I did not play my NVs first.  I trapped myself with one or two few cards on my NV mat a couple times and failed to draw my whole deck.

Another huge issue with this strategy it is just too easy for an opponent to block in a lot of ways.  If they take 4 Highways, you just can't pull off your mega turn at all.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 04:16:45 am »

Though treasure map is pretty good with haven.  Personally, I still would've picked up a remake at some point though.
If you buy a Remake it should be in the first two turns. I was quite happy with my TM-Haven very big money getting 4 Colonies in 14 turns. Remake would have only slowed it down... a lot!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.