Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card Idea: Pauper  (Read 5302 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Card Idea: Pauper
« on: June 04, 2014, 12:18:28 pm »
+1

I don't yet have a name for this card. I didn't design it with either Crossroads or Poor House in mind, but it ended up looking a bit like both. Let me know what you think:

Pauper
Types: Action
Cost: $5
+1 Buy. Reveal your hand. +1 Card per non-Treasure revealed.

Really weak early on, but stacks like crazy if you can manage to chain them. Converting your deck from the Treasure-based deck it starts with to an Action-based deck takes effort, so I'm hoping this card's potential power is balanced by the work it takes to achieve that power, (à la Scrying Pool, Herald, etc.).

EDIT: Thanks to Robz, I now have a name for the card.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 03:48:50 pm by LastFootnote »

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
Re: Crossroads/Poor House
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 02:43:39 pm »
+1

Name suggestion: Pauper

Cool card! $5 strikes me as possibly too expensive but it's tough to tell.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

BadAssMutha

• Bishop
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 02:47:52 pm »
+1

Interesting idea, but it seems very strong in cases where you'd want it. Because Crossroads works on Victory cards, it has negative feedback in terms of drawing power - if your deck has a lot of VP, you can draw a lot, but most of what you're drawing is garbage. This card just keeps getting stronger, because once it can draw a lot, you're probably drawing a lot of good cards too.

That said, it's very weak in situations where you don't want it. It's sort of like an expensive Cellar for Victory cards or Curses or Ruins. If you have no village in the kingdom, there probably isn't much point in building a high action-density deck in order to trigger terminal draw.

Is the +Buy tacked on to help load up on cheap cantrips like Pearl Diver?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 03:22:15 pm »

Name suggestion: Pauper

Cool card! $5 strikes me as possibly too expensive but it's tough to tell.

Nice name idea! It occurred to me that it might be fine at $4 or maybe even less. If it does work at a cheaper cost, Pauper will be an awesome name.

Is the +Buy tacked on to help load up on cheap cantrips like Pearl Diver?

+Buy is just nice to have on terminal card draw sometimes. Council Room, Margrave, etc. Also my set could use another +Buy.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 03:38:16 pm »

From the title, I expected an article about a combo between crossroads and poor house. I guess they do sort of combo, but you certainly need support to build a deck around that.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 03:47:45 pm »

From the title, I expected an article about a combo between crossroads and poor house. I guess they do sort of combo, but you certainly need support to build a deck around that.

I'll change the title.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Card Idea: Pauper
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 03:49:09 pm »
+2

Can we call the card Road House?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 03:50:26 pm »
+2

No, no we can't. You're too stupid to have a good time!

In case it's not clear, I'm quoting Road House, not insulting Witherweaver.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 07:31:11 pm »

as both are terminal $

You should read it again. Pauper is terminal draw, not terminal money.

I think it is a decent card, though I expect it to be super powerful some times and not good some other times. I would love for it to cost $4, though, to be spammable itself through usual gainers, but I think you should get rid of the +Buy, and I like the +Buy because it is a little bit self-synergyc without being too powerful an addition.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 04:30:10 am »

as both are terminal $

You should read it again. Pauper is terminal draw, not terminal money.

oups. forget everything i said -.- i read too fast

ta56636

• Bishop
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 06:02:43 am »

I don't yet have a name for this card. I didn't design it with either Crossroads or Poor House in mind, but it ended up looking a bit like both. Let me know what you think:

Pauper
Types: Action
Cost: $5
+1 Buy. Reveal your hand. +1 Card per non-Treasure revealed.

Really weak early on, but stacks like crazy if you can manage to chain them. Converting your deck from the Treasure-based deck it starts with to an Action-based deck takes effort, so I'm hoping this card's potential power is balanced by the work it takes to achieve that power, (à la Scrying Pool, Herald, etc.).

EDIT: Thanks to Robz, I now have a name for the card.

Just a quick thought: in order to prevent the potential craziness in slimmed down engine decks could you make it per unique non-Treasure card.  In which case it could probably cost 4 or maybe even 3??

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 06:01:00 pm »

So see, this was edited out, but originally LastFootnote called it some kind of Crossroads/Poor House combo.. so you see.. take "Road" from "Crossroads" and "House" from "Poor House" to get "Road House".  Which was this movie, which I never saw, but know of because that family guy episode where Peter kicks everything and says "Road House" every time.

So I also imagined the player saying "Road House" in Peter's voice every time they play it.

... is it funny yet?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 06:34:42 pm »
+1

So see, this was edited out, but originally LastFootnote called it some kind of Crossroads/Poor House combo.. so you see.. take "Road" from "Crossroads" and "House" from "Poor House" to get "Road House".  Which was this movie, which I never saw, but know of because that family guy episode where Peter kicks everything and says "Road House" every time.

So I also imagined the player saying "Road House" in Peter's voice every time they play it.

... is it funny yet?
Not as funny as the actual Family Guy scene where Peter is driving with his feet, kicking the steering wheel and saying "Road House" with the same voice recording every time he turns.

It brings you back to those games where a sound file associated with an action is repeated every time the action is repeated, and the action can be repeated before the sound finishes playing. The taunts in Mario Party 2 are a notable example.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 04:48:00 am »
+2

Is this card going to ever get bought on a notrash board?  I feel like even Herald and Scrying Pool can get used on boards with no trashing available, and it seems to me like a design goal that all cards have to be carefully considered without a decisionmaking algorithm as simple as "there's no trashing -> no".  Adventurer is kind of an exception, but that's kind of a failed card. 

I think this is another arrow pointing in the direction of a 4$ price tag that others suggested.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 10:27:43 am »

I like it. It covers similar ground to Scrying Pool but it's more subdued. Would probably be ok at $4 since in order to really get it going you need cantrips, villages, and $, and that's a lot of peripheral cards. Even with a card that would work amazingly with it like Peddler, you still need a village on the board.

Perhaps, if you're looking for a $5, give it a Trade token effect that can help sway the deck in your favour, or set up the megaturn. That could mean gaining, trashing, sifting, many effects.

Alternatively a Reaction that could enhance its potential as a "junk proof" card; "When you gain a Victory or Curse card, you may reveal this. If you do, put it in your hand." Making it encourage early greening even more would help differentiate it from Scrying Pool.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 10:34:14 am »

I like it. It covers similar ground to Scrying Pool but it's more subdued. Would probably be ok at $4 since in order to really get it going you need cantrips, villages, and $, trashing
FTFY
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 12:18:33 pm »

... is it funny yet?
Not as funny as the actual Family Guy scene where Peter is driving with his feet, kicking the steering wheel and saying "Road House" with the same voice recording every time he turns.

It brings you back to those games where a sound file associated with an action is repeated every time the action is repeated, and the action can be repeated before the sound finishes playing. The taunts in Mario Party 2 are a notable example.

Oh god this just gave me a flashback to the taunts in Mario Golf 64
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 01:16:17 pm »

... is it funny yet?

Oh god this just gave me a flashback to the taunts in Mario Golf 64
Never played that. I'm guessing your experience with the taunts in that game was horrible.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.