Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: An interesting game  (Read 1944 times)

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
An interesting game
« on: June 03, 2014, 10:20:17 pm »
+1

A nice game I played against Polk5440 ...

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140603/log.50785f090cf28ed55d9d72bf.1401847679577.txt

Code: [Select]
Forager, Tunnel, Urchin, Bridge, Coppersmith, Envoy, Herald, Rats, Apprentice, Farmland
Regardless the outcome, there's very interesting stuff going on here.

A quick look at the board :
+ buy in bridge, which is strong.
You can build an engine with Herald/Envoy
Rats + apprentice/mercenary seems like a nice combo too. But then you're going to have to rule out Herald.
This board is just begging for a megaturn and then I spot ... Tunnel/Apprentice. If you go for Urchins quickly (which seems to be the plan here), the discards will be flying around quickly and that gold is perfect food for the apprentice. Then trashing gold means ... Suddenly forager becomes + $2/$3 (since the coppers will get trashed and there will be gold in the trash).

Wonder what you guys see in this board.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 10:23:37 pm by TheMirrorMan »
Here comes the mirror man. Says he's a people fan.

TrojH

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
Re: An interesting game
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 12:33:27 am »

This board is just begging for a megaturn and then I spot ... Tunnel/Apprentice. If you go for Urchins quickly (which seems to be the plan here), the discards will be flying around quickly and that gold is perfect food for the apprentice.

Why give your opponent free Golds? Given all the other opportunities for an engine on this board, perhaps you should skip Urchin/Mercenary...

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 01:17:48 am »

This board is just begging for a megaturn and then I spot ... Tunnel/Apprentice. If you go for Urchins quickly (which seems to be the plan here), the discards will be flying around quickly and that gold is perfect food for the apprentice.

Why give your opponent free Golds? Given all the other opportunities for an engine on this board, perhaps you should skip Urchin/Mercenary...

Well, in this case he played second, buying the Tunnel after Polk bought two Urchins.  At which point Polk was pretty committed to Mercenary.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

TrojH

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 08:55:03 am »

I know. That was a generic "you", not directed at TheMirrorMan specifically.  :)

I guess I should have phrased it: "perhaps Urchin/Mercenary should be skipped on this board."

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:12:27 am »

Well to me it's not that simple a combo to see on this board.

Also, you can't just "skip" urchin/mercenary. Engine with only heralds and no trashing is too slow here I believe (and foragers probably do not go well with Heralds).
Here comes the mirror man. Says he's a people fan.

BadAssMutha

• Bishop
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 10:53:24 am »

I think Apprentice/Rats is how I would play it. Urchin/Mercenery doesn't seem worth it - the extra Tunnel gold will really help the Apprentice player, and you can get some light trashing with Forager instead. You'd need a lot of Heralds to properly get an engine going, and what's the payload? Hopefully play a few Bridges a turn? Doesn't seem worth it, and it seems likely to choke at the endgame. An Apprentice player who's set his deck up right could buy Duchies for a long time to stall for points while the Herald deck grinds to a halt.

Forced trashers like Forager, Apprentice, and Rats don't go too well with Herald stacks, so you've got to be careful picking up any copies of those cards if you are going for the Herald deck, further limiting your options. You're playing a dangerous game at the end of this one with 5 trashing cards and really only 2 cards worth trashing, but you manage to pull it out in the end.

I think I'd open with Rats/Forager, or Rats/Tunnel after seeing my opponent go Urchin/Urchin.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 10:56:33 am »

The plan from the start was to use mercenary to trash down quickly then switch to Apprentice, trashing the remaining Urchins and Mercenary. I wanted a Herald envoy engine with bridge as the payload. I overlooked Forager; it's probably just better for this type of plan.  I did regret going mercenary and felt like my economy was in the tank for too long. Actually that was the theme with games with MM last night. I tended to neglect my economy way too much.

I wish I had grabbed Envoy earlier, too. I really messed up a couple things on this board and fell behind, losing the Herald split. I took a risk at the end grabbing more pieces, but MM's deck was too far along and he was able to end on piles.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.