Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Really fun Menagerie engine  (Read 1631 times)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
Really fun Menagerie engine
« on: June 02, 2014, 06:14:29 pm »
+2

Code: [Select]
Menagerie, Fortress, Horse Traders, Band of Misfits, Count, Explorer, Merchant Guild, Minion, Treasury, Altar
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140602/log.50e20cf4e4b0a47150882831.1401746597195.txt

I wasn't really paying attention to what my opponent was doing, until he had 5 provinces to my single one. It looked like he was playing a BM of some sort from what I saw.

Anyway, I thought this was a really good board for a Menagerie engine, with Horse Traders discarding, Count for trashing, and Merchant Guild for payload.

Then comes turn 15. I'm down, with one province to his five. So what to do? Buy all the duchies, that's what we do! I have enough buys and coin tokens for 5 duchies, getting 10 coin tokens back and now I'm only down 9 points. He buys a single duchy, so he's up by 12. The next turn, with all the duchies in my deck, my engine is starting to falter. That's when Minion and Horse Traders save me. Discard excess duchies for +$3 and another buy, and I was able to mulligan my hand for more menageries and money. I end the game that turn by buying the last two provinces and last two duchies and winning 39-33.

Super fun kingdom to play!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
Re: Really fun Menagerie engine
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 02:54:07 am »

I think, you spent too much time for trashing. You don't really need count, going for altar is much more promising, especially with fortress around. Your opponent doesn't contest minions at all, you should have more minions in your deck. It's just more reliable than menagerie, especially in the beginning and with weak altar trashing. Oh, and you don't want silver.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 05:48:17 am »

I think you still need a Count, but you want multiple Altars to rapidly gain Merchant Guilds and Minions. After 1 or 2 decently sized trashes, Count is just +$3 or gain a Duchy with a penalty, which is still useful during the build-up phase.

h1402686

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 07:55:38 am »

I agree. This is a fun set, good enough to be absorbing to play solitaire. Here's a game I played solitaire (or played against a bot, since I don't know how to play solitaire on Goko). I end up ending the game with a six Province megaturn on turn 14. I end up using eight of the ten kingdom cards--pretty neat. The cards I skip are Treasury, which is contraindicated by Minion, and Explorer, which likes money decks and early Province buys (not megaturns). Of course against a bot I have to worry a lot less that my opponent will end the game with a megaturn (perhaps on piles).

The engine is strong enough that I could discard or top-deck cards (for Horse Traders and Count) and draw it back the same turn--or draw my Altar purchases the same turn I gain them.

Here's what I'm holding at the end of the game. I tried to do this without Count, and found it impossible. I think that I might have done better by buying a second Altar, and that I should have bought some Bands of Misfits early. Before piles run out the Bands can function as either Menageries or Villages, which is nice flexibility. Plus they count as a distinct card from either for Menagerie purposes.

Code: [Select]
1 Altar
4 Band of Misfits
1 Count
7 Fortress
1 Horse Traders
4 Menagerie
8 Merchant Guild
6 Minion
1 Necropolis
1 Estate
2 Duchy
6 Province
42 cards in deck
43 victory points
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.