Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Play this five card hand:  (Read 2076 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Play this five card hand:
« on: December 06, 2011, 09:19:49 pm »

Governor, Gold, Gold, Silver, Copper. 

+3 cards is obviously not the answer unless you are very confident you'll hit a margrave.  But is Remodel or Gold gain better here?  If it depends, please explain.

If I totally failed at counting and one is obviouslly better, just say so and throw stuff at me.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Play this five card hand:
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 09:31:16 pm »
+2

I think if it's late enough in the game, the answer is remodel Gold->province, buy duchy. I think that maximizes points gained.

If you're expecting to go through another reshuffle and there's still a bunch of provinces left, you might want to gain gold and buy province.

I think those are the two reasonably viable options; both gain you a province, but one loses you a gold and gains a duchy, whereas the other gains a gold. Which one to choose depends, I think, on how late in the game it is and how good my deck is. Wouldn't want to trash one of my only two golds for a duchy if nobody had bought a province yet, would DEFINITELY trash a gold for a duchy if it was the second-to-last province. 

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 09:51:24 pm »

Depends greatly on both the stage of the game, as ftl points out, and what the rest of your deck looks like.

If the rest of my deck has 5 Governors and a Gold in it, the right play might very well be +3 cards, trying to hit a mega-turn where I remodel three Golds into Provinces and end the game.

The right answer might also be to remodel Silver to Duchy + buy Duchy, if you're way behind.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 09:57:43 pm »

I'm going to pretend that those were the two choices I myself was considering as a form of image damage control.

Yes yes, Province Duchy is a very strong move, especially in Governor games where it is easy to force both players to buy Provinces each turn.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 01:43:24 am »

You have to consider benefit to the opponent, too. If there are 7-costers in the Kingdom, choosing the remodel option could mean handing your opponent a Province.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

toaster

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 05:29:46 am »

Any of the possible action could be reasonable depending on the context, even +3 cards.  Where are you in the game?  What else is in your deck?  How many points do you and your opponent have?

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 04:07:09 pm »

You have to consider benefit to the opponent, too. If there are 7-costers in the Kingdom, choosing the remodel option could mean handing your opponent a Province.
This.
I played against one of the top players on isotropic (yaron, who I just lost to in the tournament) a few weeks back and he fell into that trap in a bank game: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111126-185806-8c08e8d4.html
Remember to watch out for 4 cost cards as well.  I lost because of this the other day.  Never even noticed he picked up the duchy until it was too late: http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111127-211226-8e89ac5b.html

+3 cards might be the answer if these are the best treasures in your deck and you want to cycle them faster, and sometimes you have to gamble to get that margrave.  Risk vs. reward.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 20 queries.