Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The strength of Herald engine  (Read 3201 times)

prom_vrt

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
The strength of Herald engine
« on: May 31, 2014, 04:56:44 am »

I think according to the previous game, Herald tends to be extremely powerful on board without villages but some good engine terminals.
At first sight I think this card is UP, just a cantrip doing nothing if it does not reveal action. So when I did not see village I play big money and lose to Herald. Herald reveals another Herald is like a level-2 City. So, it looks very OP in such that kingdom.

Is Herald strategy always a dominant strategy on board without villages over big money? (Neglect rushes) If not, any examples of strategies beating Herald engine on kingdom with no villages?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
Re: The strength of Herald engine
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 09:37:37 am »
+1

I think according to the previous game, Herald tends to be extremely powerful on board without villages but some good engine terminals.
At first sight I think this card is UP, just a cantrip doing nothing if it does not reveal action. So when I did not see village I play big money and lose to Herald. Herald reveals another Herald is like a level-2 City. So, it looks very OP in such that kingdom.

Is Herald strategy always a dominant strategy on board without villages over big money? (Neglect rushes) If not, any examples of strategies beating Herald engine on kingdom with no villages?

herald wants lots of actions and a thin deck, it doesn't necessarily want no villages. trashing is important, and as many other spammable action cards as possibe (cantrips are nice, draw is nice, virtual $ is nice, doesn't have to be terminal). some kind of workshop also really helps.

it's certainly not always the dominant strategy on a board without villages. if there's no trashing, I expect that lots of BM strategies beat it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 09:40:38 am »
+1

Herald is strong when you win the Herald split.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

RD

• Thief
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 03:50:29 pm »

Herald hitting any action is like a level-2 City, if you would have played that Action after drawing it with the City. And in most cases you would have, especially if we're talking about a cantrip (like Herald) or terminal draw.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 03:51:45 pm by RD »

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 04:16:45 pm »
+1

Herald hitting any action is like a level-2 City, if you would have played that Action after drawing it with the City. And in most cases you would have, especially if we're talking about a cantrip (like Herald) or terminal draw.
It's true that Herald hitting any action is like a level-2 City, but terminal draw is actually Herald's least-favorite thing to hit other than non-actions, because that draw can put more actions in your hand and leave you unable to play them.  You need actions in your deck for Herald to hit, much like Golem.  So I think what Herald's best friend is cantrip money, followed closely by nonterminal draw and nonterminal nondrawing money (e.g. Candlestick Maker, Fishing Village, Lighthouse). 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 04:49:46 pm »
+1

It's true that Herald hitting any action is like a level-2 City, but terminal draw is actually Herald's least-favorite thing to hit other than non-actions, because that draw can put more actions in your hand and leave you unable to play them.
Herald always gives +1 action though, so it's just like playing a village and then playing the terminal draw. Except that you draw one extra card.

I don't think that you want significantly more Lighthouses or Candlestick Makers with Herald than you would in a normal engine. Sure, getting a coin token and +buy is better than getting nothing, but it's still a stop card and stop cards are bad for engines unless their effect is strong enough.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

BraveBear

• Bishop
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 08:25:39 am »

[/quote]
but terminal draw is actually Herald's least-favorite thing to hit other than non-actions[/quote]

This.  Herald doesn't want to draw your deck when you still have a bunch of heralds in your hand because then they are useless. The only time you want this is if you have plenty of gainers that you can use, then draw or hit the gained cards with your heralds.

Things that heralds like to hit attacks>terminal money>cantrips>gainers>village>terminal action>draw

Any trasher can be tricky.  If its late then hitting a trasher or remodel type can be risky but hitting them early can really speed up your build.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 11:25:01 am »

Any trasher can be tricky. 
But some can be trickier than others. I'm never complaining if my Herald hits a Steward, for example.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.