Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Kryptonite cards - cards that kill you every time  (Read 15798 times)

punkernikel

• Pawn
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Kryptonite cards - cards that kill you every time
« on: May 29, 2014, 05:41:36 pm »
+4

Anyone else have a card that you know is good, but every time you use it, it doesn't work, and every time your opponent uses it, you get crushed?

For me, it's not even close, it's Swindler - if I avoid it, I lose.  If I buy it, I still lose as my opponent hits copper EVERY TIME and I hit not-copper EVERY TIME.  It's almost gotten to the point where I will exit a Goko game when I see it, I'm just that bad with it.

Gardens is a close second.  That chug.....chug.......chug as I try to outrun the Gardens race buying other green and slow to a complete stop.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: Kryptonite cards - cards that kill you every time
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 05:45:02 pm »
+3

Anyone else have a card that you know is good, but every time you use it, it doesn't work, and every time your opponent uses it, you get crushed?

For me, it's not even close, it's Swindler - if I avoid it, I lose.  If I buy it, I still lose as my opponent hits copper EVERY TIME and I hit not-copper EVERY TIME.  It's almost gotten to the point where I will exit a Goko game when I see it, I'm just that bad with it.

Gardens is a close second.  That chug.....chug.......chug as I try to outrun the Gardens race buying other green and slow to a complete stop.

Smugglers.  Every time.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 05:47:33 pm »
+8

I have cards that I buy even though I know they're not good. Bishop is a big trap card for me. And P-Stone. I always try to make P-Stone work. P-Stone never works.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

punkernikel

• Pawn
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 05:58:20 pm »

IGG was an enigma to me for a very long time.  I still don't like it, but I can at least see it coming now...

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 06:09:40 pm »
+1

Possession for me. I don't have a problem with the card, but I'm not sure I've ever won a game on Goko with it on the board.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 06:09:55 pm »

Don't buy green to outrace Gardens. Make a deck to buy Provinces to out race Gardens.

Swindler is swingy, and it feels like you never hit his coppers. But play enough games and it'll feel a bit better. Still sucks though when hit an Estate.

For me it's Minion. Hands down it's just not fun. I've had my only 3 Minions in my deck discarded and then I pick up a bunch of VP. Or I have a bunch of VP and it doesn't get discarded.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 06:21:29 pm »

Well, I still suck at Goons games. The card is strong enough to work even when I go for it (which is basically every time because I don't know when to ignore it either), but usually my opponent plays the strategy a lot better.

And I probably get lucky with Mercenary about as often as my opponents do, but it feels like I've been crushed by a Mercenary hitting my Mercenary hand a million times.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Breezy D

• Salvager
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 09:19:29 pm »
+2

It's not quite my kriptonite but if rats is on the board, I have a hard time not buying them if there's even a hint of benefit.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 09:28:16 pm »
+3

I have cards that I buy even though I know they're not good. Bishop is a big trap card for me. And P-Stone. I always try to make P-Stone work. P-Stone never works.

We should play some games sometime. I use P-Stone frequently and it almost always works.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 09:33:57 pm »
+1

We should play some games sometime. I use P-Stone frequently and it almost always works.
well, you usually play with multiple potion cards when you play with potion cards, right?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 09:37:10 pm »

well, you usually play with multiple potion cards when you play with potion cards, right?

Correctamundo.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 09:44:21 pm »
+2

Rebuild.

I suck at playing it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 09:57:33 pm »
+1

I think my krypnonite cards are Wharf and King's Court. I am pretty terrible at big engines compared to most players of my level.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 04:28:14 am »
+1

Hmm, this is hard. Let me think. I guess I avoid Bishop a lot unless Fortress is out, so I sometimes lose by underestimating it. I never liked how the card helps your opponent thin as well. I do have an addiction to SP, but I usually know when to refrain from buying it, but sometimes I can't help it even when I know it is the weaker strategy on the board.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 04:44:19 am »
+2

Smugglers.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 05:02:56 am »
+3

Mercenary. Nothing else even comes close.  There must be something I don't understand about that card: I always think "the attack is painful, but at least my opponent will have to stop playing it eventually", but it seems to go on longer than I ever thought possible.  I also constantly get stuck with 3 card hands including a Mercenary, which is just terrible.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2014, 06:39:12 am »
+3

Hunting.  Party.  Die.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2014, 07:03:28 am »
+1

It's not quite my kriptonite but if rats is on the board, I have a hard time not buying them if there's even a hint of benefit.

I find rats hard too.. sometimes I go for them, and there's literally nothing good for them (and I mess up and get a deck of all rats, and lose), and sometimes they're good but I don't use them (in fear of the previous situation occurring) :(
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 07:22:19 am »
+4

"This looks like a job for Taxman."

I think that almost every time I see Taxman on the board.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 07:25:55 am »
+3

Governor
Well you *do* need a signature...

hvb

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: HvBoedefeld
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 08:34:15 am »
+2

Kings Court and Golem.

Honourable Mentions: Haggler, Conspirator

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 09:14:18 am »
+1

Advisor.  I never know quite when to buy it and when to ignore it, and I'm not good enough at tracking my opponent's deck to know when it's better to deny another Advisor vs denying immediate value (like big treasure or other non-drawing actions). 

Honorable mention to Governor, still figuring that one out, but slowly getting better with it. 

Dishonorable mention to Cultist :)  Doesn't kill my ability to win, just the fun.  Who wants to be on either end of an early lopsided Ruin split, slogging to the end of a game whose outcome was more or less determined six turns ago? 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 10:22:12 am »
+2

Island. I must have played hundreds of games with it, but I don't think I've ever bought it as an opener (and as a non-opener, rarely) and been truly confident that it was the right play. I know the pros and cons but I have no real way to weigh them. I just rely on a vague estimate of its general power level compared to other $4s, and I tweak this very little depending on the board because I don't know where to start, even though good play would be very board-dependent. About the only thing I know is that it's a lousy way to hit $5, if that's key.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:23:17 am by WheresMyElephant »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 11:41:02 am »

Mercenary. Nothing else even comes close.  There must be something I don't understand about that card: I always think "the attack is painful, but at least my opponent will have to stop playing it eventually", but it seems to go on longer than I ever thought possible.  I also constantly get stuck with 3 card hands including a Mercenary, which is just terrible.
Well, you start with 10 crappy cards, so you can play it 5 times to trash all of your starting cards.
And 5 times is a lot, say from turn 5 onwards and then every other turn until turn 15 (obv gets more if your deck gets smaller).

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 1.475 seconds with 21 queries.