Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Engine and then Payload  (Read 951 times)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Engine and then Payload
« on: May 29, 2014, 01:05:39 pm »
+4

Code: [Select]
Market Square, Shanty Town, Watchtower, Feast, Ironmonger, Island, Remodel, Throne Room, Inn, Wharf
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140528/log.516d6935e4b082c74d7be8a5.1401314106677.txt

This was neat Kingdom to play.  All of the Kingdom cards have some sort of functionality.  Shelters makes Remodel a bit weaker due to not being able to get $4-cost cards.  However the presence of Necropolis is a nice addition to the deck.  There is a very potent engine present due the big draw combined with the Market Square payload. 

One thing that I think stands out about optimally playing this Kingdom is the notion of first building your engine and then adding your payload.  To Expand on this, payload comes in the form of reacting Market Squares to gain golds and then use the plethora of Gold to either buy Province or remodel them into Province.

But getting to that point takes time.  It takes even more time if you get Remodel early and then react Market Square early.  This slows down cycling and bloats your deck before you are able to handle the extra cards.  In this game you want to establish your draw and sifting and then sharply transition to the payload.  Ironmonger is a good card that will both cycle and get you to $5 reasonably well.  Shanty Town can function as a Lab before Wharves dominate a deck.  Throne Room on Feast can be used to gain 2 $5-cost cards.  Inn is a nice addition if you need more village support and want a bit of sifting as to not stall.  Ideally, you want to get your deck to a state where you have multiple Wharves in play at the beginning of each turn and then are able to gain Gold and play them on the same turn.

I should note that I did not play this optimally.  I played this Kingdom correctly in the sense of going Engine and then Payload but in terms of execution I could have been better I think.  I bought my Remodel a turn or two early and did not get enough TR's in my deck.  TR/TR on Double Wharf will start you with +8 Cards and only keep a single TR out of play. 

This type of deck will certainly beat a Wharf/BM deck due to end-game control with drawing the entire deck and ability to Remodel into Province.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
Re: Engine and then Payload
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 01:08:28 pm »
+6

To Expand on this,

Expand wasn't in the game, Remodel was.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 20 queries.