Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Regarding the game reports thread and images  (Read 2708 times)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Regarding the game reports thread and images
« on: May 28, 2014, 12:34:21 pm »
+4

Lots of people like to use the prettifier to post their kingdoms, but I think this makes the thread really difficult to read and makes it take forever to load. It's nice for threads about a single game/kingdom, but with 6 per post, it's kind of unreasonable.

Is it possible to either:
1. Prohibit the use of the prettifier in that thread or
2. Implement the kind of spoiler where the stuff won't load until you click on the spoiler?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the game reports thread and images
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 12:51:06 pm »
+1

I often wonder why my browser doesn't cache those pics from gokosalvager.org or wherever they're hosted.  Any idea why they don't, Andrew?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:57:01 pm »
+2

I often wonder why my browser doesn't cache those pics from gokosalvager.org or wherever they're hosted.  Any idea why they don't, Andrew?

Your browser is actually caching the images, but it double-checks with gokosalvager.com to see if they've changed, before displaying them to you. It's like: "Hey gokosalvager.com, I've got an image of Haggler from November 2012. Is that still accurate?" "Yes."

So while you're not downloading the images over and over, you are incurring a couple hundred round-trip times. This should be fixable, though: gokosalvager can pass a header that says "I promise this image won't change for the next six months" (or whatever), so that the browser won't even ask for confirmation before rendering it. I'll look up how to do that and send Andrew a pull request.

Edit: Oh, actually these images are being served from wiki.dominionstrategy.com. So I guess Theory is the one who should be sending better headers?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 03:00:02 pm by amalloy »

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 04:36:18 pm »
+2

I like the idea of getting the Game Reports thread more readable. I share your concerns.

Right now, I'll just split it up. That was already requested and at least it should help a little bit.

Secondly, I'll ask Andrew to add some kind of "generate Game Reports thread bbcode" button to his log search.
In fact, maybe I can write some code for that. I'll contact him and who knows it may result in a new feature.

In the meanwhile, I would indeed ask everyone not to use the generated kingdom images in the Game Reports thread.
I don't like prohibiting but see no harm in asking.

Edit: well splitting the Game Reports thread up certainly didn't work :(
Unless I make a ton of threads again, which I don't want to, it's still a mess.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 05:35:58 pm by -Stef- »
Join the Dominion League!

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 08:33:14 pm »

Secondly, I'll ask Andrew to add some kind of "generate Game Reports thread bbcode" button to his log search.
In fact, maybe I can write some code for that. I'll contact him and who knows it may result in a new feature.

I have requested this very feature a while back (so many pages ago that I cannot find the post). It would not hurt to reinforce the request, though.

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 02:54:28 am »

Can you clarify your feature request?  I'm not following.  Maybe an example usage would help.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 03:21:40 am »
+1

Can you clarify your feature request?  I'm not following.  Maybe an example usage would help.

What I would love is if there were some way to select, from the log-search page or one like it, a set of games, and have a BBCode template generated that looks like http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=11178.msg386080#msg386080, with blanks for me to fill in my analyses of each game. Having the kingdoms, logs, and scores automatically included would save me a tremendous amount of work after each match; I'm sure I'd have to add the video links manually, but that's life.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.