Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How to stop a Feodum strategy dead in its tracks  (Read 1364 times)

azadin

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
How to stop a Feodum strategy dead in its tracks
« on: May 28, 2014, 11:24:52 am »

So I played an extremely interesting game last night. So much stuff going on here...

Code: [Select]
Embargo, Hamlet, Develop, Menagerie, Cutpurse, Feodum, Throne Room, Trader, Cache, Catacombs
Menagerie + Hamlet !
Trader + Feodum !
Develop + Feodum + Catacombs !
Throne Room !

I opted to go for the deliciously tempting engine here while my opponent appeared to go for a more silver focused Feodum strategy. I decided on turn 12 that I was going to stop his strategy cold, by gaining all of the Feodums myself (except for 1). I have no idea if this was the correct play, but I just couldn't pass it up. Develop is such a strong trasher on this board with two good TfB cards and lots of good cards at all the price levels. I figured I could just develop a couple of the Feodums for some silver later (to power up the remaining ones) while gaining other useful cards. I ended up doing this on turn 16.

Very interesting board that I know I didn't play optimally, but definitely had a lot of fun with it.

Trashing a Catacombs with Trader could net you 6 silvers, so I'm still not sure engine is the way to go; it just seems so strong that I'm not sure an optimal Feodum strategy here would be any better.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: How to stop a Feodum strategy dead in its tracks
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 11:28:54 am »

Cache with Trader is kind of cool, too.  If you're already using Trader heavily and have 5, Gold+2 Silvers is neat.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 11:34:03 am »

With develop as the only source of extra gaining asside from Trader, would an even more money based Trader+Feodum be good enough here? It's usually a very strong combo. You could pile the silvers, and also buy up Provinces.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 11:35:19 am »

I'm not going to criticize your play, but your opponent seems to be making a lot of mistakes. If he's really going after a Feodum strategy, he should have started buying Feodums much earlier. Also, Silver > Menagerie and Silver > Develop. Develop/Trader seems like a pretty poor opening in general. You don't need to open with two Estate-trashers.

azadin

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 11:40:23 am »
+1

I'm not going to criticize your play, but your opponent seems to be making a lot of mistakes. If he's really going after a Feodum strategy, he should have started buying Feodums much earlier. Also, Silver > Menagerie and Silver > Develop. Develop/Trader seems like a pretty poor opening in general. You don't need to open with two Estate-trashers.

I agree. For awhile I was really unsure what my opponent was trying to do, but after he had gained over 10 silvers, I figured that was the only thing that actually made any sense.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 20 queries.