Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Just learned  (Read 2586 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Just learned
« on: May 28, 2014, 07:22:05 am »
+2

Played 1 game IRL, learning how, then played 1 game on Isotropic. Definitely a fun game with a lot of unique concepts. I do feel like there's just so much going on at once that to fully know what you should do on your turn would mean either 1) taking a very large amount of games to memorize all the different cards, or 2) taking a long time on each turn to read every card.

I mean, on each turn I certainly didn't know what all the different cards my opponent had did, and it seems like knowing this would have been important to making the right moves. For the most part I knew what all the cards I had did, but only barely. Compare with Dominion, where there's only 10 effects you need to learn each game.*

Despite not really know what I was doing though, I won both games.  ;D

*Edge cases: Young witch, Black Market, Looters, Urchin, Hermit, Tournament, Knights, Spoils-givers. Ok, compared with Base Dominion.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Just learned
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 11:28:40 am »
+1

Hey, welcome to Innovation! You may just find this game grow on you more and more as you keep playing it. I can't say if it will click with you more than Dominion Does. That's for you to figure out. It's certainly possible though. I do recommend sticking to the base set for awhile, then moving on to expansions if you want to see more depth.

I'd be lying if I said you don't have to worry about memorizing the cards. You do want to more or less know what's available in the first six ages at least. When it comes to Innovation, I think you learn best by doing. Playing with the cards helps you remember the cards by their impact on the game instead if just their text.

At any rate, here's a convenient link showing all the cards that I was shown when I first started playing:
http://innovation.isotropic.org/cardz

Good luck and have fun!

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
Re: Just learned
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 05:19:40 am »

Yeah, knowing what your opponent has on board is very important. It is also important to know what potentially is there in the deck in order to make an informed decision when you want to draw or draw-and-x. And more broadly and strategically speaking, you need to know roughly where the strong cards are and what are their effects in order for you to do the right things at the right time.

It's actually the worst aspect of the game I would say. Once you get familiar with the game it's hard to play with new players (especially IRL) not feeling you are cheating :P
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 20 queries.