Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Not Combos -- Cards that don't work well together  (Read 31876 times)

Julle

• Bishop
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
Re: Not Combos -- Cards that don't work well together
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2011, 02:35:58 am »
+2

In one game I though: "Loan is pretty much the only trasher, got to buy it. Maybe one terminal for a second buy. Hey, time to try something different, I'll buy Bureaucrat."

Few turns later I had both of them in same hand: "Great,  he has a victory card in hand and have to put it back to his deck, now it's time for Loan..."
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 02:43:54 am by Julle »

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2011, 04:50:35 pm »

Wharf and Philosopher's Stone. Not only is P.S. not a great card, but Wharf makes it even worse than normal.

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2011, 05:11:35 pm »

In one game I though: "Loan is pretty much the only trasher, got to buy it. Maybe one terminal for a second buy. Hey, time to try something different, I'll buy Bureaucrat."

Few turns later I had both of them in same hand: "Great,  he has a victory card in hand and have to put it back to his deck, now it's time for Loan..."

Um.

You're aware that Loan goes through YOUR deck, not your opponent's?

EDIT:  Aaaaaaaand, I'm stupid!  Well, nice to know that I'd have done exactly the same thing you did!

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2011, 05:13:06 pm »

More evidence on the nombo nature of Governor and Possession.  It's even better because Tactician is on the board.  So my first play of Possession got me access to his whole deck.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-140549-d3aa53ed.html

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2011, 06:27:39 pm »

More evidence on the nombo nature of Governor and Possession.  It's even better because Tactician is on the board.  So my first play of Possession got me access to his whole deck.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/23/game-20111223-140549-d3aa53ed.html

That looks like a Combo or a Bad Counter to me as opposed to a Nombo.  I think we're using Nombo to describe cards that one person shouldn't buy since they conflict with each other.  If you had bought a lot of governors and played them for cards right before the possession, that would be a very good Combo.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Zakharov

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2012, 07:54:10 pm »

Simple stuff really -- cards that don't work quite as well together as they initially appear to, usually because of what is directly written on the card and ignored.

King's Court/Throne Room and Goons/Highway -- They have a "While in play" clause that means the +VP or -cost effects are not duplicated.  Still an ok combo, just not as insane as it could be.

King's Court/Goons is actually an amazing combo a lot of the time. King's Court makes massive engine decks fairly easy to set up, and KC-Goons gives you enough buys to take advantage of all the VP token gain from more Goons.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2012, 10:10:01 am »

Loan and Fool's Gold.

I'm terrible as is with FG, but Loan somehow makes it worse.
In my head I'm trashing Coppers. In reality, I'm discarding FG's.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2012, 01:03:57 pm »

For that matter, Loan and Loan.  No matter how much treasure I have in my deck if i have even 2 Loans they will hit each other at least 50% of the time. It's mind-boggling.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2012, 01:20:40 pm »

Minion and Tunnel.  You think you're going to discard the Tunnels with Minion and draw into Gold, but it's just as likely you'll have to discard all your Gold and draw into a hand full of Tunnels.

In general, the only Treasures I actually want in my Minion decks are Loan and Platinum.  I guess Potion sometimes as well.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2012, 08:30:28 pm »

Oh man I just had one of these yesterday, and thought about this thread. Glad it was bumped!

Moneylender / Duke.

Not that it necessarily sounds like those would work well together, but for some reason I tried it. After getting 5 Duchies, I still lost to a player who accidentally bought a Curse on turn 1, and who bought a Duke before buying a single Duchy.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:38:19 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2012, 08:43:59 pm »

Minion and Tunnel.  You think you're going to discard the Tunnels with Minion and draw into Gold, but it's just as likely you'll have to discard all your Gold and draw into a hand full of Tunnels.

In general, the only Treasures I actually want in my Minion decks are Loan and Platinum.  I guess Potion sometimes as well.

I think Minion-tunnel works fine, doesn't it? In sims, at least, a Minion/Tunnel strategy beats up pure Minion. Minion-tunnel doesn't aim for a traditional lean minion deck, but to get boatloads of golds. So if you get a hand full of golds, don't play your Minion, just buy a province...

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2012, 10:29:29 pm »

I think Minion-tunnel works fine, doesn't it? In sims, at least, a Minion/Tunnel strategy beats up pure Minion. Minion-tunnel doesn't aim for a traditional lean minion deck, but to get boatloads of golds. So if you get a hand full of golds, don't play your Minion, just buy a province...

Well, sure, if Minion is the only relevant Action and there's nothing you can add to it.  That's quite rare.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

ratxt1

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2012, 02:56:00 pm »
+1

tactician/secret chamber without support.

You think you'll be able to pull off an awsome double tactician strategy, but than you realize after you leave the card for the tactician the secret chamber only gives you 7 money

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2012, 05:07:00 pm »

tactician/secret chamber without support.

You think you'll be able to pull off an awsome double tactician strategy, but than you realize after you leave the card for the tactician the secret chamber only gives you 7 money

This would be great in the "What you think you did" thread.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2012, 07:11:11 pm »

I think you mean tactician/secret chamber/tactician. Tactician+secret chamber hasn't got problems.

ratxt1

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2012, 10:42:16 pm »

I think you mean tactician/secret chamber/tactician. Tactician+secret chamber hasn't got problems.

yea, this is what I meant. Didn't know how to really word this, since tactician and secret chamber work fine together, it's just the double tactician/secret chamber doesn't work.

Here is the game that prompted this post.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120212-115414-03150c39.html

When I first saw this board i was like, ugh ambassador and a 5/2 split (if I get a 5/2 I almost always try to play a non-ambassador strategy). Let's see they're is tactician and secret chamber, wow that will work great you can set up double tactician really fast and than be getting a province every turn. Why isn't tactician/secret chamber a top opening again? I soon found out on turn 10. I forgot to count the secret chamber.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2012, 02:39:11 pm »

I did manage to pull this off in a game with Bazaar though. Pretty much any action that will get you anymore money and a +action will save the strategy.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2012, 03:41:20 pm »

I did manage to pull this off in a game with Bazaar though. Pretty much any action that will get you anymore money and a +action will save the strategy.

Or caravan (turn before)/lab

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2012, 02:32:14 am »

Just discovered Double Tactician + Vineyard. I had bought only Action cards (mostly Fishing Villages, Festivals, Margraves and Tacticians [3 actually]) and had a wonderful Double Tactician deck going on, but my opponent had an early lead with Provinces, so I decided to leave them to him and get into the Vineyards. So I bought a couple of Potions and very quickly had an "I'm such an idiot" moment when I realised I couldn't play a Tactician and buy a Vineyard in the same turn. I managed to get Vineyards up to 9 each, but only had 3 of them by the time my opponent had bought out the Provinces.

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2012, 01:14:50 pm »

For the double-tactician/secret chamber thing, you really just need a single Silver, right?  Hardly seems difficult.

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2012, 01:21:02 pm »
+1

For the double-tactician/secret chamber thing, you really just need a single Silver, right?  Hardly seems difficult.

No, because you can't play the Silver and Tactician without a Black Market.  You need a +$ action of some type.

Epoch

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2012, 01:22:11 pm »

No, because you can't play the Silver and Tactician without a Black Market.  You need a +$ action of some type.

Duh.  Yes.  Hence the entire point of the secret chamber.  Somehow, in my mind, you could choose not to discard the Silver.  My bad.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2012, 10:37:47 pm »
+11

Here's one I never happened to notice before: Trading Post - King's Court

What I thought would happen - Trash the other three cards in my hand and gain 3 silvers.

What actually happened - Trashed 2 cards, Gained a Silver. Trashed the other card and the Silver, Gained a Silver. Trashed the Silver - Whoops, you didn't trash two cards? No Silver for you!

He/him

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2012, 12:12:35 pm »

Here's one I never happened to notice before: Trading Post - King's Court

What I thought would happen - Trash the other three cards in my hand and gain 3 silvers.

What actually happened - Trashed 2 cards, Gained a Silver. Trashed the other card and the Silver, Gained a Silver. Trashed the Silver - Whoops, you didn't trash two cards? No Silver for you!

Hey, that's 3/4 as good as a Chapel!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Nakamura

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Nakamura
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2012, 02:17:11 pm »

Horn Of Plenty and Bank. Just played this and it gave me a headache which to play first in the buy phase each time they "collided".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.