Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Isotropic  (Read 10858 times)

PetterTB

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Isotropic
« on: June 20, 2011, 07:51:08 am »

Hi

I used to play on BSW before isotropic, and it was pretty annoying really (nobles, just that, nobles combos. Grahhh!) and I love isotropic, even tho it could have ahd a nicer interface ;)

Is it really legal? What does Donald X think about it?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: Isotropic
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 08:31:55 am »

Yes it is legal. Donald X does his official card-testing on it, so he is absolutely fine with it.

quasar

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
    • About.me
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 11:46:11 am »

Donald X even supplied his playtest artwork for the pictures on isotropoic
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:54:21 am by quasar »

Blaeu

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 02:13:53 pm »

Slightly off topic from the TC's post, but is there a way to add custom cards to Isotropic?  If not, do you think there is a way we could add that feature (at least for "private" matches)?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 02:31:02 pm »

Dougz has repeatedly said that he's not interested in that, while leaving open the possibility that it COULD happen some day. But it's work without much reward for him.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 02:31:52 pm »

Yes it is legal. Donald X does his official card-testing on it, so he is absolutely fine with it.

What's this now? I don't think there have ever been cards on Isotropic that aren't published yet. This sounds like a mutated version of the fact (from the Isotropic FAQ) that Donald X helpfully provided the set of prototype artwork that he used for the Kingdom cards. (They all seem to be free images anyway, from places like Wikipedia, but it's nice that Donald himself picked them out.)

I'm not even nearly a lawyer, but I've used online game sites enough to speculate about the legality. In an alternate universe where Donald X didn't like Isotropic and felt like angering his biggest fan base, he could probably go after it for trademark infringement, because it titles itself "Online Dominion". But aside from that, Isotropic should be totally legal because you can't copyright the act of playing a particular game. You can only copyright the rules and what the game looks like, and Isotropic doesn't publish the rules and makes sure to look different from Dominion.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 02:45:03 pm »

No, really, isotropic is officially sanctioned, and it serves as a test platform for the game designers in explicit cooperation with DougZ. Of course, when they test unreleased cards, they aren't using the public version of the site!

Donald has posted about this on BGG.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 02:48:19 pm »

What's this now? I don't think there have ever been cards on Isotropic that aren't published yet. This sounds like a mutated version of the fact (from the Isotropic FAQ) that Donald X helpfully provided the set of prototype artwork that he used for the Kingdom cards. (They all seem to be free images anyway, from places like Wikipedia, but it's nice that Donald himself picked them out.)

There is in fact a nonpublic version of isotropic with unpublished cards.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 03:11:37 pm »

Okay, that's awesome.

david707

• Baron
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 06:05:02 pm »

Where? :P ;)

Lenoxus

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 11:36:24 pm »
+1

You access it by magic, like Diagon Alley in Harry Potter.

Personman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
    • My Friendfeed
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 02:25:09 am »

Actually, that's not a totally unreasonable question -- are you looking for serious playtesters, Donald? I'm sure you'd find many willing volunteers here. This would no doubt involve a significant amount of paperwork for NDAs and such, but I'd be absolutely thrilled to help out. I think I remember something somewhere about your playtest group being at Cornell? Is that right? I live in Providence, so I could potentially even come by if that would help :)
My youtube channel. Isoptropic games with commentary!

PetterTB

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 04:52:42 am »

*grabby hands* ;)

Awesome to hear that isotropic is allright :)

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 12:30:28 pm »

Yes, interface on BSW is far better and games are way faster and more ejoyable.
When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 01:46:10 pm »

Actually, that's not a totally unreasonable question -- are you looking for serious playtesters, Donald?
There's just so little testing left to do on the upcoming expansions. I might need playtesters for other games, but they won't have handy isotropics.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 21 queries.