Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How to build Scrying Pool with no trashing  (Read 2300 times)

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
How to build Scrying Pool with no trashing
« on: May 26, 2014, 07:42:30 pm »

I recently played this kingdom:

Code: [Select]
Pawn, Scrying Pool, Fishing Village, Masterpiece, Sage, Alchemist, Advisor, Horse Traders, Mining Village, Procession
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140526/log.516d31dbe4b082c74d7b3391.1401144597462.txt

I figured even with no trashing, you can eventually get enough SP to draw a million actions, with like FV+HT as payload; Advisor helps a lot by getting your non-actions out of the way, and filling your discard pile with actions for the mid-turn reshuffle (because the opponent will tend to deny you actions). However, I floundered a lot in trying to build it, and I'm sure it's possible to kick off several turns sooner than I did. I eventually won, so maybe this is inappropriate for Help!, but I won only barely against a plan I consider grossly inferior to what I was trying to do, so I think it's still clear I badly misplayed here.

Did I need a second Potion much sooner? Should I have worked Alchemists in sooner? Should I maybe even have opened HT instead of Potion to get me some early economy and buys?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: How to build Scrying Pool with no trashing
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 08:15:33 pm »

Fishing villages are not super good here as they don't help your drawing. The best thing they do is release an action for your pawns so the pawns could come first and I would open with a pawn. Procession is certainly worth considering if you need to move out of sages and fishing villages into the better 4 cost cards.

The game is almost certain to end on 3 piles so a deck of pawns, horse traders, and mining villages would be well suited for a big finish. Procession possibly can help you clear out piles too.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 03:17:49 am »

Fishing villages are not super good here as they don't help your drawing. The best thing they do is release an action for your pawns so the pawns could come first and I would open with a pawn. Procession is certainly worth considering if you need to move out of sages and fishing villages into the better 4 cost cards.
I think so, too. Probably flooding your deck with Pawns right from the start is a good idea. I'd go for double Pawn turns over Advisor.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:20:06 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 04:31:02 am »
+4

Open Potion/Sage.

Then buy only scrying pools, pawns and perhaps another sage.
Pawns are better then fishing villages now, because a) they can draw and b) they don't stop your sage from finding the potion.

At some point you start adding villages (mining village > fishing village here, although both are good), probably around turn 8-10.

How the game continues after that depends on what your opponent is doing. In a mirror, alchemists will not be worth it because 3-pile is already very close.
If he greens early, perhaps you can build a little more and get some alchemists after all.

I'm not a huge fan of the advisors here. It takes a long long time before you start to actually profit.
Join the Dominion League!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 05:35:23 am »
+1

Note that Sage will always draw Potion as long as you keep to Scrying Pools and Pawns.
Pawns are a must for the +Buy so you can buy SP/Pawn or Pawn/Pawn.

Once you buy anything worth $3 or more (that includes Alchemist), you are no longer guaranteed to draw your P with it, so only do this once you're ready to evolve your deck out of the SP/Pawn phase.

I agree on the Advisors, the point being that they don't add a huge deal on top of what your SP's already draw for you.

Adding an extra Sage or two can give you some shuffling control before you start greening, the idea being that you could put some remaining Coppers and Estates in your discard if you've shuffled them back in after an SP.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Blueswan

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 01:29:07 am »

Open Potion/Sage.

Then buy only scrying pools, pawns and perhaps another sage.
Pawns are better then fishing villages now, because a) they can draw and b) they don't stop your sage from finding the potion.

At some point you start adding villages (mining village > fishing village here, although both are good), probably around turn 8-10.

How the game continues after that depends on what your opponent is doing. In a mirror, alchemists will not be worth it because 3-pile is already very close.
If he greens early, perhaps you can build a little more and get some alchemists after all.

I'm not a huge fan of the advisors here. It takes a long long time before you start to actually profit.
Damn. I would never have thought of this approach.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 20 queries.