Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What expansion to get next?  (Read 6776 times)

Glooble

• Bishop
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
What expansion to get next?
« on: December 06, 2011, 11:55:56 am »

So as much as I love isotropic, I do enjoy irl Dominion with my friends, but I only own the basic set. Most of my friends are getting pretty good now, but have never seen any of the expansions. Every time I decide to buy an expansion, I end up coming home with a completely different game instead. So a little money has come my way, and I think I'm finally going to go buy another set. My question is simply this: In a group of players who basically "get" Dominion, which one expansion do you think most likely to expand the strategy space and maximize the added level of fun?

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
Re: What expansion to get next?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 12:21:06 pm »

Personally, I'd say Intrigue or Prosperity. If they really get the game, I'd say Cornucopia. Other than that, you can pretty much roll a dice to decide which one to get first. But I do recommend getting all of them.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 12:31:11 pm »
+2

Intrigue is such a natural compliment to the base set that I can't recommend anything else. Prosperity is awesome and Seaside has my favorite mechanic, the duration card, but the synergy between Base and Intrigue is so strong that I just feel like the two really belong together as the true core of the game.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 12:58:21 pm »

I got Intrigue and Prosperity for my first two, but what I've noticed is that the lack of $2 cards in Prosperity makes the cheap side of the board sometimes really repetitive, so you may want Seaside just to retain some diversity on the cheap end.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 01:02:56 pm »

Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, and Cornucopia are all good choices.  I'd hold off on Alchemy and Hinterlands until your friends have more experience with at least a couple other expansions; I get the sense they're substantially less novice-friendly than the other sets.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 09:43:59 pm »

Here's how I'd rank the sets:

1. Intrigue - works really nicely with the base set, doesn't increase the power level all that much, adds a lot of strategic space due to the theme of choices, without being overcomplicated. Probably my favorite set overall, plus hey, extra coppers and stuff. Although be warned, there are a lot of potential "now I hate Dominion forever" cards in this set: Torturer, Saboteur, even Masquerade has led to physical violence.

2. Prosperity - considered by many of my friends to have a substantially higher power level. As one person put it, "Prosperity is my favorite set because playing with Prosperity cards makes me feel like a badass." Higher power levels often translate to more fun games for many people. Whee, 100 point games!

3. Seaside - Mechanically, I'd put this one above Prosperity, just for having Durations, which are a great mechanic and better than VP chips, which are unique to Prosperity. But I think the overall fun factor is slightly higher in Prosperity -- there are way more killer decks you can build with stuff like Goons, City, Grand Market, King's Court, etc.

4. Cornucopia - Subtly powerful cards, but no unique mechanics, and it's a smaller set.

5. Hinterlands - More complex in its interactions than the others. Don't get me wrong, I like this set a lot, but if you only have base, this isn't the first set I'd recommend.

6. Alchemy - A lot of very powerful cards, but also a bunch of cards that are tedious and annoying to play IRL (Possession, Golem), and some people just don't like the addition of Potions. Plus, smaller set.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 04:26:22 pm »
+3

1. Dark Ages
2-7. Doesn't matter

Don't mind me, I'm just fixing some outdated topics.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 07:16:45 pm »

Intrigue is such a natural compliment to the base set that I can't recommend anything else. Prosperity is awesome and Seaside has my favorite mechanic, the duration card, but the synergy between Base and Intrigue is so strong that I just feel like the two really belong together as the true core of the game.

This.

But if you've played a lot of Dominion on Iso then you should buy your favourite one obviously! None of the expansions are that complicated, and when you're teaching new people you just bring out the simpler cards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 21 queries.