Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Exception to the rule, part 6  (Read 2827 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Exception to the rule, part 6
« on: December 06, 2011, 02:49:09 am »

I can only think of one answer for this one:

Under what circumstances does it make a difference if you reveal the same Moat more than once in reaction to the same attack?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 03:02:57 am by AJD »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Exception to the rule, part 6
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 03:54:28 am »

It's Throne Roomed or King's Courted? Otherwise, no idea.

I can't think of any other, because you have to show the Moat at the moment the card is played, not when the actual Attack wants to happen or somewhere in between. E.g. you can't get a Copper from Mountebank, show Moat and NOT get a Curse.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 03:56:31 am by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

jimjam

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 04:20:44 am »
+1

if more than once means enough times to get you booted? :P

editmoat, secret chamber, moat indicates that you still have the moat in hand
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 04:24:47 am by jimjam »

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 08:30:31 am »

editmoat, secret chamber, moat indicates that you still have the moat in hand
This doesn't make sense in a 2p game (there can be no reliable benefit in giving your opponent extra information), but in a multiplayer game where you are looking to influence your LHO's Reaction decisions in hopes that they will influence the attacker's subsequent choices it's conceivable. I'm not confident this is what AJD is going for, but it's a legitimate answer IMO!

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 09:46:47 am »

Jimjam's answer (the, uh, second one) is the one I was looking for! (I didn't say there was a benefit to it, just that it makes a difference.)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 10:30:16 am »

Jimjam's answer (the, uh, second one) is the one I was looking for! (I didn't say there was a benefit to it, just that it makes a difference.)

I'm not quite getting it. How is that any different than just Secret Chamber, then Moat? The first Moat didn't do anything, did it? Your opponent doesn't have extra knowledge, because he doesn't know if you used the same Moat twice, or if you drew a Moat off of the Secret Chamber, or what.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 11:12:35 am »

I'm not quite getting it. How is that any different than just Secret Chamber, then Moat? The first Moat didn't do anything, did it? Your opponent doesn't have extra knowledge, because he doesn't know if you used the same Moat twice, or if you drew a Moat off of the Secret Chamber, or what.

Well I mean, since things in Dominion happen one at a time, the first Moat protects you from the attack and the second Moat just gives your opponent the information that it's still in your hand. And I guess strictly speaking Moat–Secret Chamber–Moat also gives your opponent the information that the Moat was in hand before the Secret Chamber, though my attempts to come up with a situation in which that knowledge would make a difference to game state are pretty contrived.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 11:30:43 am »

I think, depending on the hand, you could, before playing the SC think that maybe, depending on your draw you might want to put the Moat back, but don't want to get hit with the attack. So you will reveal it before revealing the SC. Say you target for $8, are hit by a Militia and really want this Province. Your hand is Moat, SC, Militia, Silver, Silver. You might find 2 Coppers, so you might want to put the Moat and the SC back to get to $8. But you find a Silver and a Gold, so you put back the Gold and the SC (maybe you are not threatend by another attack an might need the discard for cash). Now there is no point in revealing the Moat another time, but if you do, it gives information.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 12:37:50 pm »

I think, depending on the hand, you could, before playing the SC think that maybe, depending on your draw you might want to put the Moat back, but don't want to get hit with the attack. So you will reveal it before revealing the SC. Say you target for $8, are hit by a Militia and really want this Province. Your hand is Moat, SC, Militia, Silver, Silver. You might find 2 Coppers, so you might want to put the Moat and the SC back to get to $8. But you find a Silver and a Gold, so you put back the Gold and the SC (maybe you are not threatend by another attack an might need the discard for cash). Now there is no point in revealing the Moat another time, but if you do, it gives information.

Then play the SC once first.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 03:00:41 pm »

They play their only attack the first time through their deck, you show your only moat.  They draw their attack on a subsequent turn, play it, and you react. 8)

edit: You might want to show your moat after the SC because you know that you have a moat in your next hand and want to trick the other player into playing a suboptimal attack
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 03:05:19 pm by Axxle »
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.