Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: memegenerator.net malware?  (Read 9175 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
memegenerator.net malware?
« on: May 21, 2014, 01:06:57 pm »
+3

I'm getting a warning from Chrome now when I attempt to look at the Homage to the Best Card thread, saying that memegenerator.net has been flagged for malware. Is anyone else getting this, and is it safe to ignore and proceed? I could see that memegenerator.net could be flagged because with all the images it hosts, some could be malicious. But it's also possible that the site was hacked and is not safe at all.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: memegenerator.net malware?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 01:48:42 pm »

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 02:36:51 pm »

But it's also possible that the site was hacked and is not safe at all.

One can only hope.  ;)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 02:59:06 pm »

I'm getting a warning from Chrome now when I attempt to look at the Homage to the Best Card thread, saying that memegenerator.net has been flagged for malware. Is anyone else getting this, and is it safe to ignore and proceed? I could see that memegenerator.net could be flagged because with all the images it hosts, some could be malicious. But it's also possible that the site was hacked and is not safe at all.
I guess this was invisible in the miscellaneous thread.

It's probably real and will be fixed; whether or not you need to worry depends on what actually happened and what else your computer is doing to protect you.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 09:14:08 pm »

Considering that memebuilder once launched a brazillion upvoting bots onto reddit in order to improve their own site traffic, i would say that it's not a category of sites that you should trust heavily by default :/

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 12:14:43 am »

This is ignorant paranoia.  Passive media (e.g. jpg, png, gif, txt) cannot hurt your computer, no matter how incompetent your antivirus software may be.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 12:17:12 am »
+4

This is ignorant paranoia.  Passive media (e.g. jpg, png, gif, txt) cannot hurt your computer, no matter how incompetent your antivirus software may be.

What?! You're saying the salvager image isn't malware? I've been lied to  :P
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 04:04:58 am »
+5

a brazillion

How many South Americans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 05:49:38 am »

Passive media (e.g. jpg, png, gif, txt) cannot hurt your computer, no matter how incompetent your antivirus software may be.
Yes, but if a site has malware, I can see just deciding, let's block all of it, rather than peeking at parts of it.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 06:14:10 am »
+6

That's not even close to true. For example, someone may discover a buffer overrun in whatever code Chrome uses to render jpeg files, leading to a .jpg file that executes arbitrary code when viewed.

But even if you were right, that doesn't mean that loading content from an infected site is safe. Maybe you request a .jpg, and its response is carefully crafted to exploit a bug in the HTTP client library you use; or maybe f.ds loads images in a way that allows them to be executed as javascript if the right Content-Type header is sent.

All of these are rather unlikely, but not impossible; I certainly wouldn't skip my browser's AV warning just to view some crummy image macros.

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 01:36:04 pm »
+1

That's not even close to true. For example, someone may discover a buffer overrun in whatever code Chrome uses to render jpeg files, leading to a .jpg file that executes arbitrary code when viewed.

But even if you were right, that doesn't mean that loading content from an infected site is safe. Maybe you request a .jpg, and its response is carefully crafted to exploit a bug in the HTTP client library you use; or maybe f.ds loads images in a way that allows them to be executed as javascript if the right Content-Type header is sent.

All of these are rather unlikely, but not impossible;

You're right.  My original statement was both inaccurate and overly glib.  All of the vulnerabilities you name (and many others) are technically possible and get discovered regularly.

On the other hand, they tend to get fixed really quickly too.  With policies like this in place, it's gotten rather difficult to actually get exploited by such vulnerabilities, at least if you're not so silly as to run IE or similar nonsense.

Personally, I've been ignoring warnings like the memegenerator thing without incident for years.  IMO, the easiest and increasingly common way to pick up mal/adware these days is to install free software whose installation process tries to con you into adding browser toolbars and install a bunch of unrelated or malicious crap software.

I certainly wouldn't skip my browser's AV warning just to view some crummy image macros.

I suppose I wouldn't object so strongly if I were given the option of viewing the f.ds thread and just not loading the images from the offending site.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 01:45:26 pm »
+5

I suppose I wouldn't object so strongly if I were given the option of viewing the f.ds thread and just not loading the images from the offending site.

<All the Things meme>
Block all the memes!
</meme>

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 03:31:49 pm »
+1

Personally, I've been ignoring warnings like the memegenerator thing without incident for years.  IMO, the easiest and increasingly common way to pick up mal/adware these days is to install free software whose installation process tries to con you into adding browser toolbars and install a bunch of unrelated or malicious crap software.
Multiple sites I visit all the time have briefly been infected, including SMBC and Cyanide & Happiness; and before I was using chrome and leaving javascript off by default, I got a virus from visiting a band's myspace page. I didn't download an executable; I clicked on google's link to the page and that's all it took. Possibly either of using chrome or having javascript default to off would do the trick, but once bitten twice shy and all that.

I had big plans to correct my previous post to note the possibility of software-specific attacks through passive media ;_;

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 12:02:35 am »

Ironically, my otherwise hyperactive antivirus doesn't block the memes thread.

IMO, the easiest and increasingly common way to pick up mal/adware these days is to install free software whose installation process tries to con you into adding browser toolbars and install a bunch of unrelated or malicious crap software.

I just spent over an hour uninstalling such software from my niece's computer. I was trying to help her with a project and every time we clicked on a link we got another pop-up, all of her searches were channeled through "search conduit" which had about a page of ads before the actual results, and "severe weather alerts" kept coming up in the bottom right corner.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 12:24:14 pm »

Ironically, my otherwise hyperactive antivirus doesn't block the memes thread.

IMO, the easiest and increasingly common way to pick up mal/adware these days is to install free software whose installation process tries to con you into adding browser toolbars and install a bunch of unrelated or malicious crap software.

I just spent over an hour uninstalling such software from my niece's computer. I was trying to help her with a project and every time we clicked on a link we got another pop-up, all of her searches were channeled through "search conduit" which had about a page of ads before the actual results, and "severe weather alerts" kept coming up in the bottom right corner.
I remember when I got stuck with search conduit on my browser. It was really annoying to get rid of that piece of malware.

The worst malware/adware I can remember was something that I believe came with Notepad++ that turned lines of text everywhere in my browser into ad links. I forget what it called itself. It didn't even show up as an add-on or extension in my browser.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 12:35:36 pm »

The worst malware I got was something called "text enhance".  It turned random text into ads.  Whoever made it apparently got better at hiding it, because some people said they found an extension on their browser for it and got rid of it, but later it started to infect an already existing extension.  I figured out it had infected my flash, so I had to redownload flash.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 01:38:33 pm »

The worst malware I got was something called "text enhance".  It turned random text into ads.  Whoever made it apparently got better at hiding it, because some people said they found an extension on their browser for it and got rid of it, but later it started to infect an already existing extension.  I figured out it had infected my flash, so I had to redownload flash.
Ah, I think that's the name of the one that I was referring to in my previous post. The removal guides mentioned a browser add-on/extension that simply did not exist on the infected browser. I'm pretty sure I used an array of different anti-virus and anti-spyware/malware to get rid of it, just to be safe. I'm not sure if I uninstalled any browsers too but I doubt it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.