Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: SheCantSayNo's Teaching & Streaming  (Read 30081 times)

c4master

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
Re: SheCantSayNo's Teaching & Streaming
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 02:18:32 am »

edit: Oh, and why didn't you play this rats game? I really feel like I need to learn about that card.

What game are you referring to? FWIW, a game with Rats in it is rarely a "Rats game". The most important thing one can learn about the card is that you should only very rarely buy it. Strong trash for benefit like Salvager, Butcher and Forge or Watchtower and Vineyards cover the vast majority of the exceptions.

Remake isn't quite in the "Remodel family", but if you want a lot of 5s, Remake can really enable Rats. I played a fun game with Rats, Remake, and Duke in gokodom; there was even Baker, to enable the Rats/Remake opening!

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140405/log.516d31dbe4b082c74d7b3391.1396722376184.txt

Why did you remake Dukes into Harems? This seems really weird to me. Other than that, nice game. :D

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 04:57:19 am »

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140405/log.516d31dbe4b082c74d7b3391.1396722376184.txt

Why did you remake Dukes into Harems? This seems really weird to me. Other than that, nice game. :D

At that point I had lost on any reasonable plan. I figured maybe I could get lucky and buy some Provinces with the money from Harem, while only losing 1VP per Harem.

SirD

• Bishop
  • Life is supposed to be fun
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 05:53:07 am »
+1

I enjoyed your stream yesterday very much, SCSN. Jerni is such a good pupil and your explanations are really fresh, insightful and full of strategic advice. I very much enjoy your combo and that you tell Jerni what he shouldnt do and what was just done without a plan. So thank you for sharing this with us.
Greetings,
SirDagen

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2014, 08:18:48 am »
+1

I'm glad you liked the lesson and that others than Jerni are getting something out of it as well :)

SirD

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 08:36:03 am »

By the way, I have some really misbehaving brothers that often go for green instead of what I watch the good players do, building engines and emptying piles. I would really like to know how to react to such a kind of thing.

I mean, I just watched the embassador game from the stream and I played it against the "Banker bot" and he won 46 to 35. So: when and how do you best switch to greening with the kind of deck you had (consisting merely of bazaars, bridges and 2 ambassadors) and the other player going for money? I am a little lost.

Deck: trade route, bridge, bazaar, market, expand, secret chamber, ambassador, fortune teller, scheme, swindler

at 1:45:00
http://www.twitch.tv/shecantsayno/b/537309945
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:38:44 am by SirD »
Greetings,
SirDagen

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 09:03:22 am »
+1

http://www.twitch.tv/shecantsayno/b/537457194

Goko decided to save the log as well, so that was a surprising bonus :)

SirD

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 09:21:36 am »

Good lord, that is a more detailed reply than I expected. Thank you so much. So it is mostly about speed and focus, buying cantrips. My problem was, that this kind of deck greens badly.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 11:09:13 am by SirD »
Greetings,
SirDagen

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 11:33:57 am »

In Jerni's Lesson 2, in the Border Village/Wharf game, I don't think that getting too many terminals is as much of a problem as you make it sound like. If you have ten Border Villages and ten Wharves, you can play ten Border Villages every turn, but only five Wharves, leaving you with plenty of extra actions.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 11:47:44 am »
+1

If you have 10 BVs and 10 Wharves then you're right, but the argument doesn't scale. If you're far removed from drawing your deck anyway (as Jerni was for the entire game), reliability is very important. You want your average turn to be at least decent. Adding more terminals (Marauder) that don't draw and produce even other cards (Spoils) that don't draw either, is really disastrous. In theory you might have enough Villages to do whatever you want, but in practice your engine ends up really sputtering, as could be seen in the video.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 11:49:12 am by SheCantSayNo »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 12:29:34 pm »

If you have 10 BVs and 10 Wharves then you're right, but the argument doesn't scale. If you're far removed from drawing your deck anyway (as Jerni was for the entire game), reliability is very important. You want your average turn to be at least decent. Adding more terminals (Marauder) that don't draw and produce even other cards (Spoils) that don't draw either, is really disastrous. In theory you might have enough Villages to do whatever you want, but in practice your engine ends up really sputtering, as could be seen in the video.
In that specific situation, I definitely agree that buying the extra terminal was a mistake, especially since it was a Marauder. But generally, in games like that, you should be more concerned with getting as many Wharves as possible than caring about terminal collision, because Wharf is in your hand less often than most terminals, which allows you to get slightly more terminals than normally, given that those terminals are actually useful for you.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2014, 12:34:15 pm »

For sure, I never said he shouldn't be getting as many Wharves as possible.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2014, 01:04:06 pm »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2014, 01:33:24 pm »

Wanna play?

My current rating probably doesn't meet your criteria, but I don't get many chances otherwise. :)

Oh, you're playing a series.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 01:40:23 pm by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

c4master

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2014, 04:52:32 am »

On your third lesson, around 1:50-2:00 you taught jerny to upgrade a Copper and buy a Haggler. there was only one Menagerie left and jerny had 2 Estates in his hand. I would have upgraded one Estate into the last Menagerie and still bought the Haggler. This would have given him a 6:4 split on Menageries, which is, in my opinion, better than thinning down one of his last 4 Coppers. Is that correct?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2014, 04:58:53 am »

I think SCSN is correct here.

Maybe it's better to have 5 Menageries drawing on average 2 cards than 6 Menageries drawing on average 1.5 cards? Mathematically this is obvious, but I pulled the numbers out of thin air, so I don't know for sure.

c4master

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2014, 11:16:15 am »

I think SCSN is correct here.

Maybe it's better to have 5 Menageries drawing on average 2 cards than 6 Menageries drawing on average 1.5 cards? Mathematically this is obvious, but I pulled the numbers out of thin air, so I don't know for sure.

It's not so much about your own deck, but rather about denying your opponent his key cards. You can just thin down th Coppers on your upcoming turn(s), but you cannot deny him the Menagerie any more.

For your own deck (~20 cards): If you have 6 Menageries, but you need only 4 activated to draw your deck, you're likely to succeed. If you start with three Menageries in your hand, you can affort to play one of them as a cantrip, if you have to. Starting with exactly two Menageries in your hand is actually very strong. But if you only have 4 in your whole deck and need all 4 to draw your deck, you're likely to not start with any and thus have a stall turn.

So I think having 6 Menageries is not a bad thing and denying one is very strong.

moktak

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2014, 08:02:52 am »
+2

registrated to say thanks for the lessons and the other cool stuff!
i think your streams are great and i hope we get more :)

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2014, 12:46:12 pm »

Thanks! There will be more, not too sure yet when, but likely soon.

On your third lesson, around 1:50-2:00 you taught jerny to upgrade a Copper and buy a Haggler. there was only one Menagerie left and jerny had 2 Estates in his hand. I would have upgraded one Estate into the last Menagerie and still bought the Haggler. This would have given him a 6:4 split on Menageries, which is, in my opinion, better than thinning down one of his last 4 Coppers. Is that correct?

You're probably right.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2014, 05:57:57 am »

As promised: I'll be streaming my league match against Rabid tonight at 19:00 UTC+2

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2014, 01:14:28 pm »

Going live
Grabbing popcorn!

I really hate it when sites use Facebook as the only SSO option though, not every one of the 7 billion people on earth have Facebook.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:16:31 pm by Davio »

moktak

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2014, 05:39:41 pm »

As promised: I'll be streaming my league match against Rabid tonight at 19:00 UTC+2

Thanks! Tough matches.
Juggling with menageries is great. Nice to see tricks like gaining cards, then drawing and playing them on the same turn :)
I have to learn a lot. I would think in a board with forager, moneylender, loan, ironmonger, great hall, conspirator you can ignore ambassador, or just buy a single.

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2014, 08:52:07 am »
+2

SCSN, just finally started watching your stream archive yesterday (twitch doesn't work on my iPhone 4 for some reason). Kudos to you and thanks for putting this up here. Regarding your lessons with jerni, these are amazing and I took notes. I have a passion for teaching and rant constantly about how the quality of training is going downhill in my profession. Through that lens, your teaching technique with jerni is superb. Well done!
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2014, 11:10:17 am »

Thanks for the kind words. I think the main factor is that it's something I enjoy doing rather than see it as a chore I'm happy to half-ass.

SirD

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2014, 02:38:09 pm »
+2

Dear SCSN,

I immensely enjoyed your last teaching video. All the tactics sounds so clear, when you explain them to jerni. That is wonderful. However I found that you were overloaded on some games watching both your deck and jernis. Maybe it is better to play big money yourself and focus on a win for jerni, telling him the best strategical play. How ever you are going to continue this I am sure it will be wonderful.

Greetings,
SD
Greetings,
SirDagen

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2014, 02:45:31 pm »
+2

Thanks, that's quite a neat solution to a problem I've been struggling with a bit. Especially that Upgrade/Fortress game was a horrible trainwreck. It won't always be the way to go because sometimes you want to focus on the specific dynamics of a mirror, but I'll certainly try it out as a default.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 20 queries.