Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: PC/console gaming  (Read 11545 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
PC/console gaming
« on: December 05, 2011, 11:11:10 pm »

Does anyone else play PC/console games?  I actually consider myself a pretty serious PC/console gamer, but that's not true of anyone else in my gaming group.  I used to play Halo: Reach quite a bit, I'm still very good at Rock Band though I rarely play any more, and currently am playing TF2 pretty seriously.  I had a great time with Left 4 Dead and Arkham City last month, but I don't plan on trying Skyrim anytime soon.

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Re: PC/console gaming
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 11:32:27 pm »

Let's see if this thread turns into a "which is better" thread...

Anyway, I'm more of the "casual gamer" archetype, leaning towards flash games for PC gaming. My only console is the Wii, and Skyward Sword has been my most recent obsession.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:58:46 pm »

PC for me.  WOW, a little bit of Starcraft, Civ 5, Minecraft, Spacechem (if you like puzzles you must get this game).

Have considered getting Skyrim when Steam puts it on half-off sale.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 02:44:21 am »
+2

I used to play all the adventure games on PC. I fell in love with the genre when Leasure suit Larry came out. The graphics were apalling, but the game was hilarious and the puzzles very challenging. From then on the graphics and game play improved. Some of my favorites (which you can still play using an emulator):

-Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis
-King's Quest VI
-Day of the Tentacle
-Monkey Island (revamped for iPhone)

They just don't make these kind of games anymore... Yes, I'm old :)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 04:08:36 am »

I used to play all sorts of games on my PC, but mostly (Point 'n Click/Action) Adventure and FPS.
I stopped playing when my PC got too old for the new games and eventually died. The last game I played on that PC was Portal 2.

Nowadays I play on my Wii and DS. This is because I've become more of a casual gamer than a serious gamer. Gameplay and fun is more important to me now than graphics. Super Mario Galaxy (1 & 2) are games I absolutely love, both brilliant games. And of course Wii Sports (Resort) with the wife or family. I like the LEGO series (Star Wars, Batman, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean) too and think they're quite funny.

I am currently busy with The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and I tend to play it every chance I get, it's such a hard game to put away once you've started playing. @biopower: I'm currently in the Mining Facility in the desert area. Too bad I can't play it more often, but marriage is about making compromises. :p

On the DS I am a big fan of the Professor Layton series. It's an adventurish game in which you have to solve all kinds of riddles and puzzles. My wife likes to play Mario Kart on it. We both like those brain training games too. I sometimes play a few minutes before sleeping.

I don't think any gaming platform is "better" than the other and that's quite a pointless discussion. It's like saying House music is better than Opera. They all cater to different groups and there's nothing wrong with liking and playing on more than one platform. My history is definitely in PC gaming, hell I'm even a software programmer by trade, but I like video games in general without prejudice.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 04:37:04 am »

I used to play all the adventure games on PC. I fell in love with the genre when Leasure suit Larry came out. The graphics were apalling, but the game was hilarious and the puzzles very challenging. From then on the graphics and game play improved. Some of my favorites (which you can still play using an emulator):

-Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis
-King's Quest VI
-Day of the Tentacle
-Monkey Island (revamped for iPhone)

They just don't make these kind of games anymore... Yes, I'm old :)

Exactly what I played. I'm also a huge fan of the Myst Universe and the adventures from Benoît Sokal (like Syberia).
Beside of adventures I only play(ed) sport games with friends or very occasionally strategy games (mainly Civilization).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 04:55:03 am »

I never had the patience for Myst.

I loved Syberia, so thematic and indulging, excellent game.
Some of my other classics include Grim Fandango, Longest Journey and Runaway.

And then there's In Memoriam
What a special game this was, the first and only interactive multimedia adventure I have ever played.

You have to register for this game with your e-mail and then during the game, you get clues in your inbox. You also have to search the internet for clues. With the help of your "e-mailbuddies" you are hunting a serial killer and deciphering his riddles. This game has short movies, soundclips and pictures. It's very intense and even though you are of course playing solo, you still get a sense of involvement. I wonder if the game servers are still operational, but I think you'll rather find a spoiler page than the actual intended internet page if you search the web for clues. Nonetheless it's a fantastic experience.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 05:58:11 am »

My first ever console was a SNES and I've stuck with Nintendo my whole life. I'm not a fanboy, I can see the appeal of other games companies and their games, they just don't appeal to me. Strangely, I'm not a huge fan of the Zelda series, although that is definitely not the case with Mario. Currently playing Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 both on the 3DS. I've been waiting a loooooooooooooong time for these two games to be released! Still looking forward to Luigi's Mansion 2 and Paper Mario (working title) next year. I'm also a fan of the main series of Pokemon games, however I used to play online competetively and I forced myself to quit when I went to university (4 years ago) as it took up a lot of my time and I wanted to improve the social aspects of my life. Since then the main games haven't interested me as much as they used to and I'm considering calling it a day completely.

I also game casually on my PC and by that I mean I am a level 37 user on Kongregate. I used to enjoy more serious PC gaming many many years ago. The Command and Conquer series was my favourite back when it was still made by Westwood Studios and I also enjoyed similar RTS games. As far as I am aware, Starcraft, which seems popular amongst members of this forum, is also an RTS game similar to C&C, however I have never actually got the chance to give it a go. I switched from "real" PC gaming to flash gaming when I realised how expensive it was going to be keeping my PC up-to-date enough to play "real" games.

What I really want is a decent RTS on the Wii or 3DS.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 08:34:42 am »

I used to play all the adventure games on PC. I fell in love with the genre when Leasure suit Larry came out.
Well I played all the Zork games, and Hitchhiker's Guide, and the Enchanter series! (No, I'm actually not quite that old. I got the big Infocom pack on a bunch of 3 1/2" floppies in the mid-90s.)

I've long had a console gaming slant, particularly RPGs, and most recently Dark Souls. I do play PC games on occasion, most recently Portal 2 and Torchwood. I'll probably be playing Diablo 3. Given my other hobbies (cycling and board games) I don't think I have the time to commit to Skyrim.

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 09:17:48 am »

Most of my video gaming the past several years has been limited to Rock Band/Guitar Hero at my ex's. Like TINAS, I've stuck with Nintendo as far as systems I own; have an NES (obtained off ebay, after our original one stopped working). Something of a Zelda fanboy (no Wii though, so I'm not sure when I'll get around to playing through the new one).

Back in the N64 days I was pretty heavily into Goldeneye and Mario Kart. I like RPGs as well, though I'm a bit intimidated by the scope of the MMO ones and have thankfully never gotten hooked on those. (It also "helps" that I have a seven year old laptop that struggles to run much of anything.)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 09:20:11 am by mith »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 10:28:27 am »

I used to play all the adventure games on PC. I fell in love with the genre when Leasure suit Larry came out.
Well I played all the Zork games, and Hitchhiker's Guide, and the Enchanter series! (No, I'm actually not quite that old. I got the big Infocom pack on a bunch of 3 1/2" floppies in the mid-90s.)

I've long had a console gaming slant, particularly RPGs, and most recently Dark Souls. I do play PC games on occasion, most recently Portal 2 and Torchwood. I'll probably be playing Diablo 3. Given my other hobbies (cycling and board games) I don't think I have the time to commit to Skyrim.
Yeah, for DIII I'm hoping my lappy will run it. It's the only game I have ever preordered. Spent so much time with DII, but it was funnily enough always the same: Get a Magic Find Sorceress first, hunt for items. Equip other chars and lvl them up until 90+. Stop playing for a while (sometimes even a few years), start over. :p

I liked running Über-Tristram with my Zealot/1 pt. Smiter.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 10:36:24 am »

My first ever console was a SNES

My lawn.  Get off of it.

(First console was an Atari 2600, forst computer a TI-99/4A)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 10:59:31 am »

My lawn.  Get off of it.

I can't remember the model of our first family computer.

It had a black and orange screen and we could play Paperboy and Test Drive on it with 5.25 inch floppies. The best game however was, of course, Sports. It included Darts, Bowling and Air Hockey!
20 years ago, good times.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 11:28:31 am »

My lawn.  Get off of it.

I actually had an Amiga before that but I don't really class that as a console.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 12:16:55 pm »

I was never much for computer and video games.

But I make an exception for Tecmo Super Bowl, SimCity 2000, and SMB3.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 12:47:05 pm »

I hardly ever play any PC games anymore, since my computer can't handle the newer games, and the older ones, I've played a lot. Heart of Darkness and Diablo (both first and second) are pretty much the only games I play that aren't Dominion.

I don't own any consoles, but I have a borrowed GameCube, but most of my friend's play a lot of games, so I play when I'm at their places. When we don't play board games, of course.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 12:49:44 pm »

ColecoVision what-what.

Oh, also I play all of Harmonix's fake guitar games religiously. I got hooked on them back with Amplitude actually, and that game was fun as hell even without a fake guitar. I own the semi-real guitar peripheral for RB3 and played it most of the way through Hard mode before other aspects of life got in the way.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 06:50:19 pm »
+1

I always played boardgames until just a couple of years ago (I'm 52), when my GF decided she missed videogaming, and bought a Wii.  I enjoy shooting, so I was drawn to the obvious choices, Call of Duty, etc., but quickly discovered that 1st person shooters make me motion sick.  I couldn't find any good third person shooters (ideas please!), and Zelda/Mario held no interest at all.  Then my GF bought an oldie..... Pikmin.  I finally got the whole obsession thing.  I still remember the day I stumbled across Pikmin 2 in a Gamestop, I immediately bought a bottle of champagne to celebrate.  Played it again about a month ago.

PC - The rudimentary poker games from 10 years ago, before anybody ever heard of Chris Moneymaker, et. al.  Starcraft, obviously, until Labor Day when Dominion came along.  If the size of the icons had been friendlier, I think I would enjoy Civilization.

Does anyone know of a PC (or console game) where the mechanics are Air Traffic Control.  I'd be especially interested in some sort of voice activated, near real-life simulator.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 11:48:37 pm »

I miss Grim Fandango.  That and Monkey Island, oh jeez.

Does anyone know of a PC (or console game) where the mechanics are Air Traffic Control.  I'd be especially interested in some sort of voice activated, near real-life simulator.
Airport Mania is a pretty well done mobile game.

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 04:18:40 pm »

I am playing the recent Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 on PC, thats why I dont play Dominion as much as a while ago :-) If you wanna add me in steam my Steam-ID is the same like my name here.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 06:03:21 pm »

I'm a huge Zelda fan. I just beat Skyward Sword yesterday. I really, really enjoyed it--much more than Twilight Princess (which I thought was just okay) and Wind Waker (which I liked quite a bit).
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 08:41:14 pm »

Zelda fan. Lots of zelda games. Not gonna list them. Twilight Princess was fun to me but I played the one sea faring DS game. So bad... oh so bad.... oh the torture! Four Swords(Classic) was awesome though :). I never stop replaying it.
Star Craft and Star Craft: Brood War (expansion)
I play games @ Kongregate.com (browser based games) under another user.
Mine Craft (<3)
I played some Wii games. Didn't find too many to be good. SSBBrawl was fun.
Just wondering, is the new XBOX Kinect thing any fun? It looks like more Wii type hype.
Played quite a few N64 games(<3 my older brother for getting them all except 2 I got). Star Fox 64 was awesome.

However, all the video games I get are almost always either under $5 for for free download etc. SC 1 and BW were a Christmas gift 4 years ago. However, I was reading up on the games' strategy 3 years before hand and watched my older brother play the game quite a bit for fun. It was very fascinating. I would always ask "What's that?" or "What's that sound?". I was amazed that when you clicked on certain things they made certain noises. It spooked me lol. Forge was my favorite building noise and so I never forgot to upgrade while playing Protoss :P.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 08:24:44 am »

I'm a huge Zelda fan. I just beat Skyward Sword yesterday. I really, really enjoyed it--much more than Twilight Princess (which I thought was just okay) and Wind Waker (which I liked quite a bit).
Ha, I beat it yesterday too, what a coincidence!
Got the final boss on my 2nd try. I didn't have much trouble with the controls in general, but they horribly fail when trying to do Skyward Strikes.

I'm currently re-installing Settlers 3, a classic for me. :)

^_^_^_^

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 02:14:54 am »

Ha, I beat it yesterday too, what a coincidence!
Got the final boss on my 2nd try. I didn't have much trouble with the controls in general, but they horribly fail when trying to do Skyward Strikes.

I'm currently re-installing Settlers 3, a classic for me. :)
Is Skyward any good? I'm considering buying it with the great wad of $$$ I just got for Christmas (All I got was clothes, money, gift cards, and more money because I didn't ask for anything)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 04:50:34 am »

If you like Zelda games or adventure games in general, you're not going to get disappointed.

I had a great time with it and found it a thoroughly enjoyable game. There were some nice puzzles and tense moments.

It gets 93/100 on Metacritic which is insanely high, considering how elitist and complaining those critics can be.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 11:14:06 am »

I just finished Bastion yesterday and started Dungeons of Dredmor.

Bastion is very pretty and has awesome music, and the narration hook is fun. The story didn't wow me as much as a friend promised, and the gameplay is a bit stodgy. Not a bad game if you want to kill 10 hours on the cheap, but not great either.

Dungeons of Dredmor seems like a good intro to Roguelikes. I'm not too far into it. I kind of wish it didn't have the option of reloading saves, since I'm relying on that heavily now - my current character has died 3 or 4 times on the first 2 dungeon levels. I may reroll soon and click the "permadeath" option from now on.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 07:49:00 pm »

If you like Zelda games or adventure games in general, you're not going to get disappointed.

I had a great time with it and found it a thoroughly enjoyable game. There were some nice puzzles and tense moments.

It gets 93/100 on Metacritic which is insanely high, considering how elitist and complaining those critics can be.
Any Zelda game that doesn't get a high rating shouldn't be a Zelda game in my opinion.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.