Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tacticians, Golem, +Action Drawer  (Read 12125 times)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
Tacticians, Golem, +Action Drawer
« on: December 05, 2011, 07:25:03 pm »

Let's say hypothetically you have a couple Tacticians in your deck and a Golem. At the start of your turn you play the Golem and hit a Tactician and for the sake of argument a Laboratory. You play the Tactician first discarding your current hand and then the Laboratory drawing your other Tactician and a Copper. You then play the second Tactician and discard the Copper ending your turn.

On your next turn do you get +10 cards, +2 buys and +2 actions? If that is the case has anyone ever managed to pull something like this off getting themselves a super duper Tactician turn?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 07:27:28 pm by Jorbles »

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Re: Tacticians, Golem, +Action Drawer
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 07:28:11 pm »
+1

Yes.  People have done it on iso.

The practical problem is that golem and tactician pretty much anti-synergize. 

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 05:27:50 pm »

Ah good to know. Though it seems likely that it would take so long to set this up that you'd end up horribly behind if you ever attempted to play it against someone (and on top of that you'd likely have not enough Coins in your deck to take advantage of the turn as none of those cards give you any money).

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 06:32:44 pm »

Just playing 2 (successful) Tacticians in a turn is not cool enough.  I want to see the elusive, Triple Tactician Engine.

Here's the plan: draw the entire deck, play out the majority of it for cash, then play two Mandarins to put a Tactician and Laboratory (or Menagerie) on the top of the deck, play Golem, which first plays Tactician, discarding a Tactician+X, then plays Laboratory, drawing Tactician+X, allowing you to play the second Tactician.  Rinse and Repeat next turn.

Edit:
Tried it out, and it was fun to put together.  With only one strictly controlled Golem, it is pretty cool. (Not a chance it would ever be fast enough to be competitive at anything.)  Also, I realized that the appropriate name is Double-Double-Tactician Deck (not Triple)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 06:53:16 pm by Deadlock39 »

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 06:38:18 pm »
+1

Played a game on iso where I pulled this off twice, on turns 13 and 25:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/24/game-20120224-153351-033cbf99.html

Very fun. I lost because I was spending too much time playing with the combo, but it didn't seem completely terrible. Playing a Golem and hitting two Tacticians is pretty bad, though.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 01:04:28 am »

Just playing 2 (successful) Tacticians in a turn is not cool enough.  I want to see the elusive, Triple Tactician Engine.

Here's the plan: draw the entire deck, play out the majority of it for cash, then play two Mandarins to put a Tactician and Laboratory (or Menagerie) on the top of the deck, play Golem, which first plays Tactician, discarding a Tactician+X, then plays Laboratory, drawing Tactician+X, allowing you to play the second Tactician.  Rinse and Repeat next turn.

Edit:
Tried it out, and it was fun to put together.  With only one strictly controlled Golem, it is pretty cool. (Not a chance it would ever be fast enough to be competitive at anything.)  Also, I realized that the appropriate name is Double-Double-Tactician Deck (not Triple)

For a true Triple Tactician, you'd have to play a village, play a Golem, get Tactician + Council Room, draw a village, a Golem, and some other cards, play a village, play a golem, get Tactician + Council Room, actually you could chain any number of Tacticians this way with perfect shuffle luck. (or eliminate the villages and use Governor. Or Minion!)

EDIT: Actually not hard to pull off in solitaire mode with Governor. But way too slow to set up. You need like 5 of each and nothing else (I added a couple Cartographers) to make it triple up with any consistency.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/24/game-20120224-224135-f0af9065.html
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 01:42:52 am by jotheonah »
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 02:15:26 am »
+6

Gonna toot my own horn here, but someone posted the same challenge in the Game Reports subforum awhile ago, and I managed to get all 10 Tacticians in play in 12 turns: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/20/game-20120120-201529-c3a5402c.html

Obviously not a viable strategy, but figuring out how to get the exact card order that I wanted was pretty fun.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 02:19:57 am »

I figured someone had to have done this! But very clever setting it up with Royal Seal and Haggler. It's impressive.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

GigaKnight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 03:49:04 pm »

I figured someone had to have done this! But very clever setting it up with Royal Seal and Haggler. It's impressive.

Yes, very clever!  It didn't occur to me that Haggler would interact with Bridge and Potion-cost cards like that, but it makes sense!  Even the order in which the gaining resolves is important to making this work.  Very clever, indeed.

Now, I'm curious if anybody can get something like this to work in a reasonable amount of time without Bridge or Highway, since in a real game you'd just buy all the Provinces long before you need the Tactician.

Glooble

• Bishop
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 03:25:49 pm »

What if the card drawer in question was Scrying Pool? That could draw as many action cards as you wanted. With good trashing and +money actions it might be viable. But of course if Scrying Pool was out, you wouldn't necessarily need Tacticians to draw your deck.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 05:15:13 am »

Gonna toot my own horn here, but someone posted the same challenge in the Game Reports subforum awhile ago, and I managed to get all 10 Tacticians in play in 12 turns: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/20/game-20120120-201529-c3a5402c.html

Obviously not a viable strategy, but figuring out how to get the exact card order that I wanted was pretty fun.
That's gotta be the funniest log I've ever seen.

dondon151 buys a Province.
... gaining a Chapel.
... gaining a Chapel.
... gaining a Chapel.
... gaining a Chapel.
... gaining a Chapel.
... gaining a Chapel.
... gaining a Chapel.
... gaining a Chapel.
... gaining a Chapel.

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 10:46:28 am »

is there someone trying this combo on Goko-MakingFun to know if it is correctly managed ?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 10:41:38 pm »
+1

SheCantSayNo: turn 22
SheCantSayNo   plays King's Court
SheCantSayNo   plays Golem
SheCantSayNo   shuffles deck
SheCantSayNo   reveals Potion, Estate, King's Court, Witch
SheCantSayNo   discards: Potion, Estate
SheCantSayNo   plays Witch
SheCantSayNo   draws Witch, Goons
SheCantSayNo   plays Tactician
SheCantSayNo   discards: Witch, Goons
SheCantSayNo   reveals Witch, Copper, Province, Estate, Silver, Copper, Estate, King's Court
SheCantSayNo   discards: Copper, Province, Estate, Silver, Copper, Estate
SheCantSayNo   plays Witch
SheCantSayNo   draws Curse, Tactician
SheCantSayNo   discards Curse
SheCantSayNo   reveals Silver, Silver, Goons, Curse, Goons
SheCantSayNo   discards: Silver, Silver, Curse
SheCantSayNo   plays Goons
meati   discards Curse
meati   discards Copper
SheCantSayNo   plays Goons

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20130924/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1380066087088.txt

Not sure what was more impressive, this turn or the fact that despite winning the Curse split 8-2 I still lost :D

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 11:19:11 pm »
+1

awesome turn. And then the "oh no, I cant believe that I bought two provinces on t16 in a 35 turn goons game" moment that happens all too frequently.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.