Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Big Monies  (Read 2583 times)

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
Big Monies
« on: May 18, 2014, 02:53:32 am »

Code: [Select]
Scheme, Smugglers, Bishop, Caravan, Fortress, Marauder, Talisman, Trader, Mystic, Vault

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140517/log.516ddc20e4b082c74d7cbc04.1400394494736.txt

First of all, I'm curious about our openings. I went trader/scheme thinking that trader is good defense against a possible marauder and maybe I can pick up a few silvers early on, and I can use scheme to put my vaults back on top of the deck. He went smugglers/talisman. I was jealous of his smugglers a little bit but I'm not sure about the talisman or really if just silver/silver is best here.

The other thing I'm curious about is his bishop/fortress strategy. I don't think he utilized this strategy as well as he could've but I think if he did it could've been viable given that there's no +buy. What do you think?

And lastly, how did I lose this game? I got two platinums before he got one, I got a couple vaults before he did and I thought my deck was thinner or at least I was buying more money instead of marauder, talisman, fortress, etc. My attitude towards caravan is that it's just a good card that fits anywhere. Is this wrong or does it really have a place here?

Yes, I'm aware it's 2:53am while I'm posting this. Shutup. And thank you.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 02:55:30 am by AndrewisFTTW »
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Big Monies
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 03:26:52 am »
+4

Bishop-Fortress is very strong on its own and here it has great support in the form of Scheme, Caravan and Talisman. I'd open Talisman/Silver and get 2 Bishops and maybe some Caravans before switching to Fortresses. If my opponent mirrors I'd wait with Caravans until the Fortresses are gone, as with it being the only Village the split is going to be important. As P2 I'd open Talisman/Smugglers against a Talisman/Silver open.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 08:38:10 am »

I like bishop/fortress too, but how are you going to get enough trashing, especially with marauder on the board?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 08:58:21 am »

You just get multiple Bishops. Marauder is awful here and not a problem for the Bishop player at all as it junks very slowly.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 11:43:38 am »

You can play 4 Bishops a turn with just Bishop+Fortress. Because there is Caravan for cantrip draw, you can probably do more than that. SCSN explained it well, and I have no doubt that Bishop-Fortress will win here.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 12:03:58 pm »

So bishop, caravan, and fortress are the three piles?
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 12:12:44 pm »

Yeah, or never end. You have infinite points if your opponent doesn't go for Bishop Fortress. Otherwise yeah, those are the three piles.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 01:54:25 am »

Yeah, or never end. You have infinite points if your opponent doesn't go for Bishop Fortress. Otherwise yeah, those are the three piles.

inb4 SirPeebles complains about the use of infinite here :P

To add something on topic. Bishop/Fortress is great here and looks winning to me. Now you've heard it from me and not just SCSN.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 03:41:22 am »

inb4 SirPeebles complains about the use of infinite here :P

There's a sense in which it's reasonable to use "infinite" to mean arbitrarily large.  Imagine a typical file system that contains any finite number of folders, each of which contains any finite number of files.  If you want to give labels to the individual files in a way that behaves nicely when you add more files and folders, then one natural approach is list the number of the folder, then the number of the file within its folder.  The order type of the set of possible labels is omega^2.

You can also find examples in chess played on a infinite board.  A mate in omega is a position where the first player can guarantee a win, but the second player can ensure that the game lasts longer than any fixed number of turns that they choose.  (One way this can happen is to have the white King and a black Rook in a large clear area.  The black player then has one chance to more the Rook arbitrarily far out, where it can proceed to harass the white King with checks until it waddles out to meet him.)  The game will always only have finite length, but there is a precise sense in which it will last longer than any specified finite length, so it's sensible to say that the game has length omega.  (You can also build games of some higher ordinal lengths in a similar way.)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 20 queries.