Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Non-obvious strategy wins!  (Read 3440 times)

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dominator 123
  • Notice the space
  • Respect: +369
    • View Profile
Non-obvious strategy wins!
« on: May 18, 2014, 12:26:00 am »

Code: [Select]
Hermit, Oracle, Bridge, Death Cart, Remake, Talisman, Embassy, Graverobber, Laboratory, Mountebank
Now the obvious thing to do here is Remake for trashing, then get a Mountebank and Lab for draw. That was what my opponent went for, but there is a less obvious strategy that I used and won. But before I post the log, how about you guess my strategy first?
"Strictly Better" compares only effects and not cost, change my mind

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
Re: Non-obvious strategy wins!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 12:27:34 am »

Hermit/Bridge?  I pulled that off once.  It wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but was still okay.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Notice the space
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 12:33:29 am »

Hermit/Bridge?  I pulled that off once.  It wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but was still okay.
That was faster than I thought. But yes! After the game though, I thought that it wasn't a good idea as Hermit couldn't trash Mountebank's Coppers. But there was another factor: I could use Talisman for extra Bridges, which helps my strategy a lot.
I got worried in the end as I couldn't line up my Madmen, but still won anyway.

Anyway, log!

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 02:31:26 am »

That was faster than I thought. But yes! After the game though, I thought that it wasn't a good idea as Hermit couldn't trash Mountebank's Coppers. But there was another factor: I could use Talisman for extra Bridges, which helps my strategy a lot.

Anyway, log!

Hermit/Bridge is okay, but without a village to allow you to Hermit-gain more Bridges, it's pretty rough. Your megaturn on turn 20 picked up 37 VPs: I can get that many just playing Embassy/BM in only 18 turns, and end the game on turn 20 with all eight Provinces. Remake/Mountebank should lose to Hermit/Bridge, but if my opponent opens Hermit/Talisman, I can see he doesn't care about Curses, and I'll go Embassy to snarf down the Provinces as fast as possible.

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 09:44:40 am »

Anyway, log!

Hermit/Bridge is okay, but without a village to allow you to Hermit-gain more Bridges, it's pretty rough. Your megaturn on turn 20 picked up 37 VPs: I can get that many just playing Embassy/BM in only 18 turns, and end the game on turn 20 with all eight Provinces. Remake/Mountebank should lose to Hermit/Bridge, but if my opponent opens Hermit/Talisman, I can see he doesn't care about Curses, and I'll go Embassy to snarf down the Provinces as fast as possible.

This is way slower than what Hermit-Bridge is capable of, even when up against MounteBank.  For sure you could have fired off on T17, and probably a whole lot sooner if you'd skipped the Talisman and Silver and gained Madmen a little earlier.  5 Madmen and 6 Bridges is the absolute max you need to secure the win.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

dominator 123

• Moneylender
  • Notice the space
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 10:05:15 am »

Anyway, log!

This is way slower than what Hermit-Bridge is capable of, even when up against MounteBank.  For sure you could have fired off on T17, and probably a whole lot sooner if you'd skipped the Talisman and Silver and gained Madmen a little earlier.  5 Madmen and 6 Bridges is the absolute max you need to secure the win.
The Talisman wasn't necessary?! I thought I needed to get more Bridges.
And 6 Bridges only give you 7 Provinces... (You get free copper from Mountebank so at least $14 in deck).

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 10:26:02 am »

agreed. I would have gone hermit/bridge for sure on this board. not sure if talisman is worth getting, i don't think it's awful, but T20 seems slow either way

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 10:59:16 am »

And 6 Bridges only give you 7 Provinces... (You get free copper from Mountebank so at least $14 in deck).
It's 50% of the VP already. Just trash your Curses and buy an Estate and you're guaranteed to win.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 12:36:00 pm »
+7

The Talisman wasn't necessary?! I thought I needed to get more Bridges.

Maybe - just maybe - your opponent is also going for provinces. In that case, (s)he will - at least with a probability > 0 - have got 1 province by turn 30. So you can just buy up the remaining 7.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.