Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Modding rules for boring Intrigue cards  (Read 4186 times)

ospanky

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Modding rules for boring Intrigue cards
« on: December 05, 2011, 05:33:33 pm »

So I recently bought intrigue (it's the only real set I own). I've played a decent amount online and playing with just one set of cards seems dull. So my friend and I decided to mod some of the less useful cards to make them change the game up some. Here's what we came up with. What I'm interested in hearing is what yall think the new price should be for the card with it's mod effects. Also any new strategies that come to mind.

Wishing Well: I dont think Ive ever bought one of these before we moded it:
Kept the +1 act, +1 card. But instead of naming a specific card, you get to name a "type" of card (Either treasure, action, victory, curse), and if you reveal the correct type of card, choose one: add that card to your hand; or trash it.

Im a big fan of trashing cards, and I like that with this new action wishing well stays playable during early and later parts of the game. either when you want to be trashing estates or drawing powerful actions. Whaddayall think? It should be at least 4$, right? Or 5$? what other cards give you +1,+1 and the ability to trash?

Also we changed Sabateour so that it isn't a terimal action card. That way it's more fun to have multiples in your deck. Sab otherwise seems like one of the worst attacks in the game. Does this change make it a respectable 5$ or bump it up to a 6$?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Modding rules for boring Intrigue cards
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 05:56:55 pm »

Moved to variants forum.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 06:06:35 pm »

Yes, Saboteur right now is an exceptionally weak card because it uses up an action, fills a space in your hand, and gives you nothing, in return for an attack with a very long-term effect. But in situations where you have card draws and actions coming out your ears, you can throw in a Saboteur or two to completely devastate your opponent. And notice that one of the worst cards to play on its own is also one of the best cards to King's Court.

The effect of Saboteur can be pretty obnoxious, so I think it's good that it requires a specific setup to work well. Most people already don't like Saboteur (though I think that means they're not comfortable with the idea of shrugging off attacks and adapting so they win anyway). I don't think many people are saying "Man, this game would be so much more fun if people could play Saboteur a lot", though you may be different.

A saboteur with +1 action might be kind of balanced at $6, but it'll also be a game-changer much more often. Consider whether a "respectable" Saboteur is something you'd actually want.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 06:12:16 pm »

I think a better way to go with the Sab would be to make it much more powerful either in cost or effect but make it self trashing.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 08:30:46 pm »
+1

That variant of Wishing Well is now very strong.

As a side note, my friends and I play IRL using physical, non-sleeved Dominion cards. The Coppers and Estates from our base set, since we use them for every game, are worn to the point where we can distinguish them from other cards when looking at the card backs. So when we do play with Wishing Well, we can tell whether the next card in the deck is a Copper / Estate or another card. It's not particularly gamebreaking, but it does make Wishing Well slightly more powerful.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 01:22:29 am »

You'd break the spirit of the card less if you named the wish before the +card +action^

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 12:18:40 pm »

That's true, but sometimes what you wish for depends on the first card that you draw into your hand.

It's somewhat amusing and not very gamebreaking at all because once you get a few other cards in your deck (other Wishing Wells, more valuable Treasures), those card backs look the same, and you're not guaranteed at all to draw what you guess. And even when you're 80% sure the next card is a Copper, better to wish for what you really want if you're, for example, stuck at $6 and need that Silver for $8.

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 02:19:45 pm »

You thought about making the cards more interesting at all, rather than just plain better? :)

PS - Wishing Well can be a great card just as it is, you just gotta know when ;)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 05:45:19 pm »

Another interesting wishing well variant would be:
+1 card/+1 action
Discard a treasure. If you do, name a card and then reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. If either is the named card, put both into your hand. Otherwise put them back in any order.
(costs $4)

Thematically, it's in the spirit of a "wishing well" as you have to throw in a coin to make your wish. But since you do that, the wishing part has to be a little better or the card would be really bad. Revealing and reordering 2 cards also lets you do other interesting stuff if you wish wrong. And if you get a bunch of them and stack them, they basically turn into stables.

Karrow

• Baron
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 12:55:43 pm »

So I recently bought intrigue (it's the only real set I own). I've played a decent amount online and playing with just one set of cards seems dull.

I'd suggest buying more sets.  Your interesting changes could have unintended consequences once you do.  I feel that sucky cards are big part of the game.  Knowing how to use them so they don't suck, and knowing how to use them when the kingdom contains nothing better is a big part of the game.  But then again, if you're only playing with one set you're not going to get those boards when some sucky card is the best on the table.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.