Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: KC Sab or Tourney or both?  (Read 959 times)

Breezy D

• Salvager
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
KC Sab or Tourney or both?
« on: May 16, 2014, 01:02:31 pm »

http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20140516/log.516cd2c1e4b082c74d7a166a.1400248775386.txt

Code: [Select]
Courtyard, Smugglers, Warehouse, Ironworks, Thief, Tournament, Cartographer, Saboteur, Treasury, King's Court
On this board, is it smart to be building into KC saboteur? Or is tournament the way to go?

I realize that my opponent was probably not playing optimally & I think he thought he had the game when he piled out courtyards as a response to my sabbing his cards. Had he trashed into duchies or estates, could I still have caught up?

I also think he underestimated the value of princess on this board

On a 2/5 start which is better, Cartographer or Treasury? I chose cartographer hoping for quicker cycling.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: KC Sab or Tourney or both?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 01:25:03 pm »

Both. Princess is super good, Followers is super good and Trusty Seed and Diadem are nice, so you definitely want Tournament here, and you want KCs anyway, so why not get a Saboteur too. I think Province > KC > Gold at first, but then KC > Province after you have one Province, it helps you connect Tournament with Province more than another Province would if you have Warehouses.

I would open Treasury/Courtyard. The money improves your early buys significantly.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

BadAssMutha

• Bishop
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
Re: KC Sab or Tourney or both?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 02:15:13 pm »

I think you have to for Tournament first to contest the Prizes, since Princess and Followers can really change the game in engine-friendly boards with no other cursers or +Buy. There's always time to pick up a few Saboteurs later.

I would open with Treasury rather than Cartographer. It'll help you hit $5 regularly, and once you pick up another Treasury with a Tournament or two, you're pretty likely to get an early Province, or at worst an early King's Court. With Treasury/Courtyard, you've got much better odds of getting a KC in your first shuffle, which would give you a big early lead. I feel like unless you can use Cartographer to line up engine pieces, or have a means to draw the good cards to put back on top, it's almost like a glorified Warehouse that doesn't decrease your handsize. I agree cycling is important, but there's nothing on this board you really need to play as early and often as possible (e.g. cursers). Once you have a KC or Tournament + Province, Cartographer will be useful to find them, but you should focus on getting them first.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 21 queries.