Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Is Possession an Attack?  (Read 21430 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: Is Possession an Attack?
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2014, 01:18:30 pm »

Or is Workshop simply a very limited (but reliable) Outpost?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2014, 01:53:48 pm »

Which would mean that Workshop is a mini-Possession.  :o

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2014, 02:15:27 pm »
+1

Ruined Market is a mini-mini-Possession.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2014, 02:27:09 pm »
+1

Young Posession - Action $3

Gain a card costing up to $4.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2014, 02:30:09 pm »

Young Workshop - Action $2

Opponent may reveal a Curse from his/her hand.  If they do not, gain a card costing up to $4.
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2014, 02:38:38 pm »
+1

I think Possession would be more fair if you couldn't take advantage of duration cards (Tactician being the biggest), Masq/Amb shenanigans, or any trashing of the Possesses player's cards (with Salvager for example).

What I'm trying to say with this is: It should only let you do things the player would have done himself.

What if after the Possession turn, the Possessed player puts his deck in the exact same state as before he was Possessed? So you get the bonus from your durations, important cards don't miss the reshuffle, etc...??? This is awkward in real life of course, but very easy to implement online. Any Masq'd and Amb'd cards should be returned of course.
In that case, it mostly would be a glorified Workshop.

Like Davio, I'd prefer to call it a glorified (or "JoaTed") Outpost, since it can gain any number of cards.

Yes but Outpost is a glorified Workshop.

And so Possession is a glorified Smugglers.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2014, 02:49:55 pm »
+4

Estate is a glorified Curse.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2014, 02:50:26 pm »
+5

Oh, and Grand Market is a glor..... grandified Market.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2014, 04:55:54 pm »
+9

Fleeting Grasp: Reaction, $P
When another player plays an action card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, you make all decisions during the resolution of that card.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2014, 07:07:24 pm »
+2

When another player plays an action card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, you make all decisions during the resolution of that card.
That would be an awesome counter to King's Court.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2014, 09:00:10 pm »
+3

So if an opponent plays Possession and I react with Fleeting Grasp, I control the ensuing extra turn, but the Possession player still gains any cards that the Possession target would have gained?  Might as well call it, "Here, hold these Curses." 

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2014, 09:05:48 pm »
+2

So if an opponent plays Possession and I react with Fleeting Grasp, I control the ensuing extra turn, but the Possession player still gains any cards that the Possession target would have gained?  Might as well call it, "Here, hold these Curses."
Is Fleeting Grasp a Reaction that hurts the attacker?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2014, 11:16:47 pm »

Only with a few attacks like Oracle and Spy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2014, 11:31:18 pm »

And because explaining jokes makes them funnier, I was referring to Possession, which is funny because this is the "Is Possession an Attack?" thread.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2014, 02:35:54 am »
+1

I don't think reacting with Fleeting Grasp does anything against Possession. A card is "resolved" when it's done being played, and there are no decisions to be made as part of playing Possession. What it does is unconditionally create a pending effect, which is resolved at the end of the turn. Similarly, if you Grasp a Scheme I'm playing, you don't get to choose which card I topdeck at the end of my turn.

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: serakfalcon
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2014, 03:46:38 am »
+3

I don't think reacting with Fleeting Grasp does anything against Possession. A card is "resolved" when it's done being played, and there are no decisions to be made as part of playing Possession. What it does is unconditionally create a pending effect, which is resolved at the end of the turn. Similarly, if you Grasp a Scheme I'm playing, you don't get to choose which card I topdeck at the end of my turn.

Distraction (Reaction)
($6)
Attempt to get other players into a heated discussion/argument (suggestion: invent a new dominion card with weird side-effects). While this is in your hand, and until another player notices, you may take any victory card from the supply. When another player catches you, trash this. You gain any cards taken from the supply in this manner.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2014, 05:54:33 am »
+3

Mercenary may be the best.  Too bad you don't get to peek at her cards before deciding which to trash.
Well you *do* need a signature...

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2014, 12:31:25 pm »

And because explaining jokes makes them funnier, I was referring to Possession, which is funny because this is the "Is Possession an Attack?" thread.
If it makes you feel any better my first thought was, "No cause Possession's not an attack," but before I posted it I figured, "Better read the rest of the thread."  Preempted :( 

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2022, 11:28:54 pm »
+2

I have to say the idea that Possesion isn't an attack is downright insane. Ya shoor.  as some guy ambassadors 2 of my colonies back and keeps one as a souvenir of this amicable encounter.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2022, 11:31:01 pm »

one of the reasons why Possession isn't an attack :)

I'm pretty sure the main reason Possession isn't an attack is because it doesn't directly harm an opponent, unlike every other card that bears the attack type. :P

yet in fact it can hurt more than any other attack. i actually think that if possession were an attack it would be quite a bit less awful

On its own? No, not really. The damage dealt by Possession alone is almost strictly less than Minion. Both cause you to lose your hand, but at least Possession lets you have 5 cards. The harm is mostly psychological, like how Torturer feels worse than Witch when the attack portion of Witch is almost strictly better. Possession does no harm on average. It's just that people tend to forget about when it helps them and get stuck on when an opponent played their hand and bought something good. It's actually about as much of an attack as Tribute.

This is fundamentally untrue unless you too equally buy possessions.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2022, 03:07:55 pm »
+1

I think, due to its absurd cost, it is fair to call Possession a Divine Attack. Something that a punny Moat cannot stop.

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2022, 04:37:37 pm »

I think, due to its absurd cost, it is fair to call Possession a Divine Attack. Something that a punny Moat cannot stop.

Those punny Moats, always punning things up around the castle. “When the king’s herald is delivering a message after dusk, then he’s on a ‘Night’s’ errand. Hyuk yuk.”
groan >:(
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2022, 04:15:29 pm »

Or maybe classifications of attacks it can block.  Like spells can go over a 2 cost "hastily dug Moat" Certain attacks a "hastily dug moat" cannot defend like familiar, witches/sorcerers/enchantress etc, but not militia/margrave/followers/rabble etc. I'd even be fine with airborne specific cards being ok too, like archer/noble brigand/catapult (i mean he is holding a bow) but not for any horde and just claim they have arrows.

or maybe like Block any attack 4 or less for a moat, but have like a "impenetrable moat for 4 or something too.  Like they got Gandalf there blocking spells, boiling oil for the rabble, dragons to burn up catapults etc. For kicks maybe you could overpay and for every 1 you overpay on a regular moat buy and you get and extra +1 added to the 4 for every coin overpaid?  Just randomly made this up now, but i really like this idea for a card!  :-*
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 04:20:38 pm by Honkeyfresh »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.