Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Resurgence: Library Adventurer's fan expansion (YAFE)  (Read 56488 times)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: Resurgence: Library Adventurer's fan expansion (YAFE)
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2016, 06:56:42 pm »

I think I said it somewhere else in this thread, but Fountain Gargoyle... "this turn and next". When this turn? When next turn?
Pretending to not get what perfectly unambiguous English means just because one prefers fan cards to feature Dominion lingo is quite pathetic.
I mean, gee, I don't complain that half of ThetaSigma12's cards feature typos or are dubiously changed cards from somebody else. If he is happy with what he does so be it. Same applies for LA.
I don't find it pathetic. Wanting to keep things accurate and consistent seems good, why do you have a problem with that? I'm fine with the typo or whatever but sometimes it actually is confusing, such as the bottom of reconstruct, it can be a real hassle.

Also, I try to fix my typos, so wether or not that stat is true, in the end my cards (should) be offially worded. I don't get what you mean by dubiously, but I won't get into my reasons for mockups 2.0 here.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2016, 07:03:15 pm »

Pot calling the kettle back. I just have to scroll up, stumble upon your first card and tata, three typos in Fortified Bridge.

Not that it matters. LA test and updates his cards. That's far more important than your abundance of typos or his lack of use of Dominion lingo.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2016, 07:07:15 pm »

Pot calling the kettle back. I just have to scroll up, stumble upon your first card and tata, three typos in Fortified Bridge.

Not that it matters. LA test and updates his cards. That's far more important than your abundance of typos or his lack of use of Dominion lingo.
I seem to be missing the typos. Anyways, that's old work. If you're trying to say I used to suck I wholeheartedly agree with you.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2016, 07:10:56 pm »

There are also quite some typos in your new cards. All I am saying is that it is hypocritical to accuse LA of imprecise wording when one's one texts are full of typos.
This is just trivial cosmetic stuff though.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2016, 07:17:19 pm »

There are also quite some typos in your new cards. All I am saying is that it is hypocritical to accuse LA of imprecise wording when one's one texts are full of typos.
For instance? Anyways, I try too fix them so in the end it's not hypocritical.

People make mistakes, but whether you try to fix them is what counts. But if you have a different quality level, thats fine. Be proud of your work. Just don't be surprised if other people have a different (but not necessarily better) standard and don't like it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 07:28:48 pm by ThetaSigma12 »

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2016, 07:36:56 pm »

For instance?
If you are too lazy to go over your cards I cannot help you. Buy phase is not cpaitalized in Canal, +x Cards is virtually never capitalized, Garrison should say including and so on.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2016, 07:47:39 pm »

For instance?
If you are too lazy to go over your cards I cannot help you. Buy phase is not cpaitalized in Canal, +x Cards is virtually never capitalized, Garrison should say including and so on.
I'm pretty sure +X Cards is ALWAYS capitalized, I missed Canal thanks, and I'm not sure about Garrison.

Anyways, when you have 38 cards in a set it's easy to screw something up. I try to fix my mistakes and that's what matters.

I'm trying not to get offended but you could discuss this a little more civily.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2016, 07:48:34 pm »

Also, we're getting off topic from the original discussion. My cards have almost nothing to do with LA's.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2016, 08:09:06 pm »

Kinda strange to get offended. I did after all point out twice that I don't care much about cosmetic stuff like this, whether it's your typos or LA's lack of use of Dominion lingo. Some folks here are really so anal about it that they forget everything else. Like thinking about whether the card idea is good in the first place or not.

And this is where LA shines. He has cool idea, none of his card are already broken from the start, he tests his cards and updates them.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2016, 08:14:39 pm »
+4

I like getting criticism for cards, and would be sad if people held back just because their own cards have typos.  :'(

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2016, 08:17:01 pm »

Your language seemed offensive, but your intent may not have been. I apologize if I misunderstanded you.

And as GendoIkari pointed out, if you want to have bad wording it's fine, but when you go to the trouble of mocking something up with unofficial wording it's kinda weird. If you just wanna have a few cards you update and test that's fine, but if you wanna make a mock-up be prepared to have feedback about it.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2016, 12:51:00 am »

Also, the fact that the cards are actually mocked up in a printable format makes the loose wording even weirder. Like, it would be one thing if these were just general ideas being thrown out as an early concept, but when you're actually going through the effort of putting together printable cards, why not also make sure those cards use the correct wording?
This.

A good example of what I mean is the bottom of Generous Benefactor. It's clear what it means in English but in the context of Dominion it's really confusing. I don't really know what even is the right way to word it? Maybe:
"At the start of each other player's buy phase, they may recive +. If they did, they may not play any Gold or Platinum that turn.
I used unconventional wording for Generous Benefactor because, as you say, there doesn't seem to be any conventional wording that fits the effect. But I don't see what's wrong with it. Cards in Empires use wording that would've been seen as unconventional before Empires came out. I try to use words that clearly get across the intended effect, and sometimes that wording don't happen to be previously used on an official card. so what?

With Fountain Gargoyle, I just wanted to save a little space. You could easily change it to "Now and at the start of next turn" to match official cards. Although for other reasons, I could see why people might skip out on Fountain Gargoyle. It's a novelty card, but it works and I think it's fun, so it's part of my set.

PS: I've changed Mysterious Door and removed the attack part. I just haven't gotten around to updating the image yet.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 12:58:33 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2016, 09:44:05 pm »

Mysterious Door
Cost 2  - Action - Attack
Each other player discards the bottom card of his deck. If it's... a victory card, +2 Cards; a treasure card, +; an action card, play this as the revealed action card -it is that card until it leaves play.

This should be one particular opponent, not each other player; it's far too strong as written.

Also it has an infinite loop effect if its target's deck and discard pile consist entirely of Mysterious Doors.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2016, 12:28:45 am »

Mysterious Door
Cost 2  - Action - Attack
Each other player discards the bottom card of his deck. If it's... a victory card, +2 Cards; a treasure card, +; an action card, play this as the revealed action card -it is that card until it leaves play.

This should be one particular opponent, not each other player; it's far too strong as written.

Also it has an infinite loop effect if its target's deck and discard pile consist entirely of Mysterious Doors.
Oops, I put the text in wrong. It is supposed to be "The player on your left discards the bottom card of his deck."
EDIT: Fixed (but still haven't updated the image.)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 12:31:43 am by LibraryAdventurer »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2016, 12:37:02 pm »
+1

Renovate seems really iffy. +1 Card on terminals is a bad idea as Donald said. The below the line is really confusing. Does it do that during your whole turn? What if the card in your discard pile costs ? Is it more expensive than ? Also, it's kinda swingy depending on your discards and the reshuffles. The headaches don't seem to be worth it. On the plus side, it's unique.

Ancient Temple is cool. I don't fully get why it lets you play the Action, but I'm sure it's for balancing. Again, it's a little swingy.

Mysterious Door seems really swingy, political, and complicated. It might be worth a shot but I'd suggest symplifying it. I like the whole bottom of your deck theme, it has a lot of potential.

Auditor is by far my favorite. It's simple, strategical, and the attack isn't that annoying.

Salvage Yard gains from the trash, but without any way to trash it may be too often a dead card. Also, the name is a place not an event as you'd expect. Intersting having a gain from the trash Event.

Mortar Repair seems really good, possibly too cheap for . But why does it need the extra type and setup rule? Like to here the backstory.

Building Blocks: I like it.

Foundation: Cool. This is definently an improvement over your more complicated cards.

Iron Furnace: Too simmilar to Sacrifice as you said. I don't see why it needs to specify ruins if it doesn't hand them out, extra words that often don't make a difference.

Generous Benefactor: This seems really weird. First of all, why mention Platinum? It's extra words and will mean nothing in many games. If it's really that bad then why doesn't something like Bank come up? Second, there's no definite timing. You don't stop playing Treasures until you buy something, and then the + might be too late. I assume then you mean like you can take it at the start of your Buy phase and Gold and Platinum have no effect. Still, it's a lot of complexity. Third, why even have the below the line? I get the theme but wouldn't it be better if it was way simpler like a flat + and you buffed the on play effect or druation effect? Long story short, it's really weird and the has to be a better way to impliment it.

Drawbridge: The on-play seems really good. A trashing Smithy? And when I don't want to trash it's a moat? This should probably be . The below the line is cool, but it might be to annoying in multiplayer because of the politics.

Restored Village: Seems like a good variant of the draw-to-x Village. Why does everybody think it's fine bland at ? It's easily a Lost City half of the time if not more.

Trailblazer: It's cool. Not much to say.

Collectables: It's interesting, but the cost increase will quickly get out of hand with TfB because it's a cantrip. I think this will either be no different than Caravan, if not worse. And when it's not it's because of insane comoboes with TfB. I'm pretty sure there's a reason theres no cost increasing in dominion.

Miner is nice. Small caveat: The art doesn't show an actual miner. Mineshaft might be more appropriate for the art.

Vandal: Texas A&M is very medival. Nice card though.

Fountain Gargoyle seems weak. Also, "pure" Victoy card isn't a thing.

Kingdom Restoration: Again, the bottom part is completly unrelated. Why? The top is cool.

Pioneer: I like the card.

Ancestral Crypt: Again with the terminal +1 Card. The VP seems tacked on.

Archaeologist: Nothing.

Royal Heirloom: What happens if I play a Duration? The duration-throne is really overused and this verions isn't selling me on anything.

Most of your cards don't use correct wording. I know you don't think it's necessary, but it just seems kinda lazy. I mean, you could just use a blank card with art and tell people what to do. It may seem like a hassle, but it makes it clearer to new people and old people, and it just seems un-dominiony. You don't need to use Photoshop, GIMP will work and it's free. It takes minutes to get the fonts and templates you need and it's surprisingly easy to pickup.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2016, 02:07:29 am »
+1

Renovate seems really iffy. +1 Card on terminals is a bad idea as Donald said. The below the line is really confusing. Does it do that during your whole turn? What if the card in your discard pile costs ? Is it more expensive than ? Also, it's kinda swingy depending on your discards and the reshuffles. The headaches don't seem to be worth it. On the plus side, it's unique.
This card is new and experimental. It probably won't stay as-is, and I might just drop it. I wanted a TfB for Resurgence, but it's hard to think of something that's original and good. oh well.
<8> is not more or less expensive than . They don't compare, so debt cards have no effect on the cost of this card.

Ancient Temple is cool. I don't fully get why it lets you play the Action, but I'm sure it's for balancing. Again, it's a little swingy.
I wanted a gainer that lets you play the card you gain right away. It's not just for balancing. It's part of the concept. ...oh. I just realized I haven't updated the OP since my most recent version of the card. The new version is much simpler:

Ancient Temple
cost $5 - Action
+1 Action.
Gain a card costing up to $4, putting it into your hand.
I'm considering adding 'discard a card' if this seems too strong.

Mysterious Door seems really swingy, political, and complicated. It might be worth a shot but I'd suggest symplifying it. I like the whole bottom of your deck theme, it has a lot of potential.
That one's also been simplified. I have the card text updated in the OP, just not in the card image. I removed the attack part completely.

Auditor is by far my favorite. It's simple, strategical, and the attack isn't that annoying.
cool

Salvage Yard gains from the trash, but without any way to trash it may be too often a dead card. Also, the name is a place not an event as you'd expect. Intersting having a gain from the trash Event.
Yeah, I need to think of a better name for that one.

Mortar Repair seems really good, possibly too cheap for . But why does it need the extra type and setup rule? Like to hear the backstory.
I had the idea for the three building materials cards together. Building blocks came first based on someone else's card idea. They all reveal the top card of the deck and give an option what to do with it, and they all have a reaction that can be triggered by their above the line effect. Building Blocks and Foundation are both good ones to have several copies of, and Mortar Repair is a good way to gain them.
Originally, Mortar Repair just revealed one card, but it seemed weak, so I changed it to two cards.

Generous Benefactor: This seems really weird. First of all, why mention Platinum? It's extra words and will mean nothing in many games. If it's really that bad then why doesn't something like Bank come up? Second, there's no definite timing. You don't stop playing Treasures until you buy something, and then the + might be too late. I assume then you mean like you can take it at the start of your Buy phase and Gold and Platinum have no effect. Still, it's a lot of complexity. Third, why even have the below the line? I get the theme but wouldn't it be better if it was way simpler like a flat + and you buffed the on play effect or druation effect? Long story short, it's really weird and the has to be a better way to impliment it.
Well, we've tested it and we like it. and it's thematic. It doesn't seem overly complex to me. Maybe the mention of platinum is excessive. Feel free to drop that if you mock it up.

Drawbridge: The on-play seems really good. A trashing Smithy? And when I don't want to trash it's a moat? This should probably be . The below the line is cool, but it might be to annoying in multiplayer because of the politics.
This one has been tested a lot, and is one of my favorites. I agree it's strong enough to cost $4, but it hasn't been a problem at $3 and there isn't a lot of difference there so I want to leave it at $3.
There is a little bit of politics if P1 plays an attack which affects P2 as usual, but he has to discard a card to decide if it affects P3 who has a drawbridge in play. I'm okay with that though.

Restored Village: Seems like a good variant of the draw-to-x Village. Why does everybody think it's fine bland at ? It's easily a Lost City half of the time if not more.
Exactly. It didn't originally have a drawback, but it definitely needed one.

Collectables: It's interesting, but the cost increase will quickly get out of hand with TfB because it's a cantrip. I think this will either be no different than Caravan, if not worse. And when it's not it's because of insane comboes with TfB. I'm pretty sure there's a reason theres no cost increasing in dominion.
True, it is strictly worse than Caravan if there's no other cards that interact with card cost (like TfB), but it's really fun in games with TfB. It's totally worth it. The last game I played had Collectables along with Apprentice and my Patrician (bottom of the OP and doesn't have a mock-up -I haven't gotten around to renaming it since Empires). good times. Besides TfB, it also can be a defense against most trashing attacks (especially swindler and knights).

Miner is nice. Small caveat: The art doesn't show an actual miner. Mineshaft might be more appropriate for the art.

Vandal: Texas A&M is very medival. Nice card though.
Fan card art is very low priority for me. Except that I like to use photographs taken by my dad on his travels (which Vandal and several others use).

Fountain Gargoyle seems weak. Also, "pure" Victoy card isn't a thing.
I've already had the conversation about the terminology, and I think the meaning is clear. That said, the card does seem a little weak. I'm considering removing the +action and the 1VP and making it cost $3.

Kingdom Restoration: Again, the bottom part is completly unrelated. Why? The top is cool.
The bottom part gives the option to literally restore the kingdom. Feel free to drop it if you mock up the card. I know it's unnessesary but I like it.
I was actually slightly disappointed when I saw Harbinger because it seemed too similar to this card, and this is one of my favorite of my cards.

I also have a simpler version of Archaeologist which I haven't yet put in the OP. I'll wait to post it until I've tested it at least once (but it's a little like Sutler from the new Dark Ages fan card contest).

Most of your cards don't use correct wording. I know you don't think it's necessary, but it just seems kinda lazy.
I only use unconventional wording when either 1) it's clear and much less words than official wording would be (like the term 'pure victory card'), and/or 2) there's no way to do the effect I want by using official wording. I don't see how that's lazy.

Thanks for the comments, and I hope you and others can get some enjoyment from my cards despite the unconventional wording.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2016, 08:49:17 am »

I mean, on things like Generous Benefactor it's ligit. It's a weird effect so new wording is fine, just might be a tad confusing. But on foundation for instance:
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck. Discard it or put it back.
+1 Card
----
When you discard this other than during your Clean-up phase, you may reveal this for +1 Card during your turn.
It's simpler and completly legit.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 08:00:05 pm by ThetaSigma12 »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2016, 06:45:10 pm »
+1

I mean, on things like Generous Benefactor it's ligit. It's a weird effect so new wording is fine, just might be a tad confusing. But on foundation for instance:
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck. Discard it or put it back.
+1 Card
----
When you discard this other than during your Clean-up phase, you may reveal this for +1 Card.
It's simpler and completly legit.
Okay. I have the 'on your turn' on Foundation because otherwise it isn't clear how it interacts with a discard attack like Militia.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2016, 07:59:53 pm »

Oops I missed that reading the card.

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2016, 08:12:35 pm »

Is Foundation meant to be
"when you discard this and it's your turn, +1 card"
or
"when you discard this, +1 card now if it's your turn or at the start of your next turn otherwise"
because I think you can read both the OP's wording and TS's wording as either.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2016, 09:05:41 pm »

Is Foundation meant to be
"when you discard this and it's your turn, +1 card"
or
"when you discard this, +1 card now if it's your turn or at the start of your next turn otherwise"
because I think you can read both the OP's wording and TS's wording as either.
The latter. Do you think there's a clearer way of saying that without taking so many words?

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2016, 06:21:50 am »

Well I went for a new word "During". When something would happen "During" your turn, then it happens the soonest time it's on your turn. So If it's your turn now, you draw the card immediately, and otherwise you get it next turn. I don't know about tracking though.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 01, 2016, 01:48:19 am »
+1

Played an interesting 3p game with a couple Resurgence cards this evening. Kingdom:

(and Shelters) The 10th card was:
Graveyard
$4 - Action - Victory
Choose 1: +1 Card or Put a card from your discard pile into your hand.
You may trash a card from your hand.
-
Worth 1 VP for every 4 action cards in the trash pile. Count any Graveyards in the trash as two actions each.
This was from a very old list of fan made cards that I got from BGG. (Apparently, I never made note of the designer, but it likely isn't someone from fds.)

I won with two Provinces, five Graveyards (worth 5 each), six Nobles, and a Duchy (from Annex). I'm thinking Graveyard will be strong in games with looters, preserve cards, or rats, but somewhat weak otherwise.

PS: Also, I finally got around to updating images in the OP.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:51:33 am by LibraryAdventurer »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2017, 06:01:48 pm »
+1

Played a game with Pedestal, I really think it needs reining in. Limiting it to Action cards is a good start, and maybe only up to 3 then.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2017, 07:26:47 pm »

Played a game with Pedestal, I really think it needs reining in. Limiting it to Action cards is a good start, and maybe only up to 3 then.
Really?  I've only played 2 or 3 games with it so far, but it has seemed kindof weak (but fine for $3). Maybe we just underestimated it which made us underuse it. I think I'll test it a bit more before changing it though.
thanks for the feedback.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.