Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: Resurgence: Library Adventurer's fan expansion (YAFE)  (Read 56464 times)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: Resurgence: Library Adventurer's fan expansion (YAFE)
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2016, 02:28:22 pm »

My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2016, 02:49:46 pm »
+1

Diggin' the new art!!

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2016, 11:35:14 am »
+1

You can find trail on the cliff-side village thread.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2016, 01:19:56 am »

Updated the OP with one new card, Renovate, and updates to Ancient Temple and Mortar Repair.

Also updated the Resurgence card sheet for Tabletop Simulator:

(includes a couple non-Resurgance cards of mine and the Canines card by my friend.)

warning/disclaimer: I suck at Photoshop.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 01:22:44 am by LibraryAdventurer »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2016, 09:36:43 am »
+1

I'd be hapy to teach you or do the whole expansion for you.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2016, 09:40:24 am »

Looking through your discard pile to find the most expensive card every buy phase doesn't sound fun.  :-\

Also, should cost .

And also, Donald has talked before about why he thinks terminal +1 card is a bad idea, but of course that's more just an opinion thing.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 09:41:25 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2016, 09:44:01 am »

Fountain Gargoyle has some wording/formatting issues. See Lighthouse; its the exact same above-the-line effect. The "1" should just be in it's own section, without "worth". So it needs 2 total lines.

Oh, there aren't any Looters in this set are there? Not sure it makes sense to refer to Ruins in a set without any Looters. There's only 3 Looters total. Same with Auditor.

*Edit* I see now that several of your cards give out Ruins, but I hadn't found them because I searched on "Looter". All of those need the Looter type, otherwise Ruins wouldn't exist in the game.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 09:49:03 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2016, 07:24:47 pm »

Fountain Gargoyle has some wording/formatting issues. See Lighthouse; its the exact same above-the-line effect. The "1" should just be in it's own section, without "worth". So it needs 2 total lines.
Don't care about the line for the VP. Having 2 lines is ugly. Saying 'worth' differentiates 1VP from +1VP (token) without using a line.

Oh, there aren't any Looters in this set are there? Not sure it makes sense to refer to Ruins in a set without any Looters. There's only 3 Looters total. Same with Auditor.
*Edit* I see now that several of your cards give out Ruins, but I hadn't found them because I searched on "Looter". All of those need the Looter type, otherwise Ruins wouldn't exist in the game.
I don't bother with the Looter type because it seems obvious if a card mentions ruins by name, then they're going to be in the game. Other people wanting to use this card are free to add it if they like. For my cards, it's all in the card FAQ (which I also didn't bother to write out).

Looking through your discard pile to find the most expensive card every buy phase doesn't sound fun.  :-\
I don't think it would be much trouble at all. Just leave the most expensive card on top when you discard stuff.

I'd be hapy to teach you or do the whole expansion for you.
Either one would be much appreciated, but if you do decide to do them yourself, I prefer if you post them here using the original name, and for the ones with photos by Joel Justiss or Ellen Wiltse, keep the original photo. (You can pick other art for your own versions if you like, just post them in this thread with the original name & art.) Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 07:29:14 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2016, 03:57:29 am »
+1

I don't bother with the Looter type because it seems obvious if a card mentions ruins by name, then they're going to be in the game.

Vagrant

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2016, 08:21:36 am »

I don't bother with the Looter type because it seems obvious if a card mentions ruins by name, then they're going to be in the game.

Vagrant

Yup. Of courses an cards are free to add whatever rules they want, but it should be clear that Dark Ages already has a specific rule for deciding when Ruins are in the Supply or not, and these cards break that rule.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2016, 03:07:57 am »
+1

New card type: Preserve cards.
After thinking about it, I decided there was no point in not putting the looter type on my cards that use ruins. Then, after thinking about it some more, I decided, cards like Archaeologist and Excavation don't really seem appropriate to call 'looters'. And I've had ideas floating in my head for a while now for 'special ruins'. So, my cards that give out ruins (like Vandal and Blackmailer) will be 'looters', but certain other cards will use the 'preserve' type instead.

Preserve type rules: If a card with the Preserve type is in the kingdom, include both the ruins and special ruins in the supply. Whenever you would gain a ruins (except by buying one), you may discard a card to gain a special ruins instead. The ruins and special ruins count as being from the same pile. Whenever a special ruins is gained, trash a normal ruins from the supply. Include 6 special ruins per player.

The special ruins:
Haunted Vault
Cost $2 - Action - Attack - Special Ruins
+$1. Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand puts a card from their hand on top of their deck.
Engraved Pathstone
Cost $2 - Action - Special Ruins
Look at the top three cards of your deck. Put one in your hand and discard the rest.
(Yes, I got the idea from Hearthstone.)
Abandoned Dungeon
Cost $2 - Action - Duration - Special Ruins
This turn and next: Discard a card. If you do, +2 cards. Discard another card.
Sacrificial Cenote
Cost $2 - Action - Special Ruins
Trash up to three cards from your hand or from play.
-
Worth -2VP. When you trash this, gain a curse and set it aside till the end of the game.
Places used for human sacrifice are accursed and you can't easily trash a cenote.
Ruined Drawbridge
Cost $2 - Action - Reaction - Special Ruins
+1 Card.
-
When another player plays an attack, you may discard this. If you do, +1 Card, and gain a silver putting it on top of your deck.
Ruined Throne
Cost $3 - Action - Special Ruins
Play any card from your hand. If it costs less than $3, play it again. If it costs at least $3, you may trash it. (If the card is not an action or treasure, its effect is +1 card when played by this.)
Include 6 special ruins per player. There are three copies of each for 24 total.
EDIT: I've pruned them down to six types with four copies of each. Eight or nine types of special ruins seemed a little excessive.
already cut:
Unholy Monument
Cost $2 - Action - Victory - Special Ruins
+$1. +1VP.
-
Worth -2VP.
Pedestal
Cost $3 - Victory - Reaction - Special Ruins
When you discard this other than during clean-up, +$1 on your turn. When you trash this, gain a non-victory card costing up to $4.
-
Worth 1 VP.
Carved Image
Cost $2 - Action - Attack - Special Ruins
Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck. Put the action cards back on your deck in any order, and put the rest in your hand. If you didn't put any cards in your hand, each other player gains a ruins.

Now Archaeologist and Excavation will be a little stronger (both seemed a bit weak before):
Archaeologist
$5 - Action - Duration - Preserve
+1 Card, +1 Action.
Now and next turn: You may discard a card. If you did, or if the ruins pile is empty, gain the effect of the top special ruins, then put it on the bottom of its pile. Otherwise, gain the effect of the top ruins, then put it on the bottom of its pile.

Excavation
$2 - Action - Preserve
+1 Action. If the ruins pile is empty: +$1. Otherwise: +$2. Gain a Ruins, putting the gained card into your hand. You may play an Action card from your hand costing up to $3.
(by jamespotter from the Dark Ages contest. Keep in mind the rule that whenever you would gain a ruins  (except by buying one), you may discard a card to gain a special ruins instead.)

hmmm, and maybe this:
Restored Village
Cost 4 - Action - Preserve
+2 Actions. Discard a card. Draw up to 5 cards in hand.
-
When you buy this, gain a ruins.
I wasn't satisfied with the drawback as it was (depending on unused actions). I like this much better (and yes, it does need a drawback).

Pioneer and Ancient Temple will also get the preserve type. Or maybe I'll just make it a ~1/4 chance to include special ruins (with the Preserve rules) whenever any Resurgence cards are in the kingdom.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:06:10 am by LibraryAdventurer »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2016, 08:33:43 am »
+1

I like the concept, but I can't see myself printing all of those cards out. The nerf to Restored Village is great, I'm glad somebody else agrees draw-to-x village is too good.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2016, 07:11:13 pm »

I like the concept, but I can't see myself printing all of those cards out.
I guess it's easier to print out more cards when you do like I do and don't bother printing artwork with it. Since there's only threefour copies of each*, it isn't much more trouble than printing out a few normal cards.

*I'll probably pick one of them to buff into a normal $3 or 4 cost card, so they'll be eightsix special ruins. That way it'll be the same number of copies for all of them.

The nerf to Restored Village is great, I'm glad somebody else agrees draw-to-x village is too good.
Yeah, after playing with it several times, it's clear that it needs a nerf, and I really don't want it to cost more than $4 (although I briefly considered it). I think this drawback should work well.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 01:35:00 am by LibraryAdventurer »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2016, 09:33:17 pm »

*I'll probably pick one of them to buff into a normal $3 or 4 cost card... That way it'll be the same number of copies for all of them.
(I cut them down to six types with four copies each.)

Removing Pedestal from the special ruins (partly because it doesn't work with Archaeologist) with this idea:
Pedestal
Cost $3 - Action - Reaction
+$1.
Discard any number of action or treasure cards from your hand. +1 VP for each card discarded this way.
-
When you discard this from your hand, +$1 on your turn.
A usually weaker, but potentially much stronger monument variant. What do you think?  Seems great if you're overdrawing your deck, but that's pretty rare in my experience and this sure won't help you do it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 01:36:24 am by LibraryAdventurer »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2016, 11:08:19 pm »

played a fun game with resurgence cards this evening:

Poet Laereate by Market Squire was also in the kingdom. It was an 11-card kingdom because my Foundation (or Building Blocks) add Mortar Repair as an 11th kingdom card pile. 3 player game.

I put my +action token on bridge. 3rd place player put +action on library, and the 2nd place player passed on Lost Arts. I like my new version of Inventor a lot better than the original, and I might decide to call it part of Resurgence. Overlord was great on this board. Me and the 2nd place player both got 16 points from Orchard. With the final scores being ~70 to 46 to 24, it didn't change the scoring order but it easily could have (if my opponents were better at the game to make a closer match...). Hamlet and Bridge with +action goes very well with Library. Also nice to effectively get a 10-point province because I had 4 groundkeepers in play (actually 3 and one overlord as a groundskeeper).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:23:58 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2016, 02:41:40 pm »

Okay, I'd really like to redo your set but I keep on getting thwarted by the wording. A lot of your wording is clear English wise, but It's really hard to translate into Dominion lingo.

I don't want to seem like I'm trying to beat you down on this, it would just be nice if the cards used official wording.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2016, 06:48:29 pm »

Okay, I'd really like to redo your set but I keep on getting thwarted by the wording. A lot of your wording is clear English wise, but It's really hard to translate into Dominion lingo.

I don't want to seem like I'm trying to beat you down on this, it would just be nice if the cards used official wording.
If it's clear, why does it need to be changed?

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2016, 07:00:41 pm »

The intention is clear, but it's not ligit wording. Like if instead of having a coin cost in the corner it just had text saying "This costs 2 gold". You know what it means, but it's weird and not official.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2016, 07:06:59 pm »

The intention is clear, but it's not ligit wording. Like if instead of having a coin cost in the corner it just had text saying "This costs 2 gold". You know what it means, but it's weird and not official.
Huh? Card costs are really easy to put in the corner with the template. I don't know what you're referring to.

EDIT: Do you mean when I have coins in the text using stuff like $2 instead of ?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 07:21:51 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2016, 08:23:09 pm »
+1

Huh? Card costs are really easy to put in the corner with the template. I don't know what you're referring to.

EDIT: Do you mean when I have coins in the text using stuff like $2 instead of ?
What he's trying to say is that while your wording makes sense, it's jarring, similar to how it would feel if someone made a fan card with "This costs 2 coins" written on it instead of the coin symbol.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2016, 10:25:10 am »
+1

What he's trying to say is that while your wording makes sense, it's jarring, similar to how it would feel if someone made a fan card with "This costs 2 coins" written on it instead of the coin symbol.

Right. In another thread a while back, I used an example along the lines of a card that said "draw the top card of your deck. You may play an additional action this turn". Sure it's clear, but it's really bad, and everyone would point out that it should just say
+1 Card
+1 Action

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2016, 01:11:58 pm »
+1

Also, the fact that the cards are actually mocked up in a printable format makes the loose wording even weirder. Like, it would be one thing if these were just general ideas being thrown out as an early concept, but when you're actually going through the effort of putting together printable cards, why not also make sure those cards use the correct wording?

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2016, 04:21:49 pm »

Also, the fact that the cards are actually mocked up in a printable format makes the loose wording even weirder. Like, it would be one thing if these were just general ideas being thrown out as an early concept, but when you're actually going through the effort of putting together printable cards, why not also make sure those cards use the correct wording?
This.

A good example of what I mean is the bottom of Generous Benefactor. It's clear what it means in English but in the context of Dominion it's really confusing. I don't really know what even is the right way to word it? Maybe:
"At the start of each other player's buy phase, they may recive +. If they did, they may not play any Gold or Platinum that turn.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2016, 06:06:58 pm »

I think I said it somewhere else in this thread, but Fountain Gargoyle... "this turn and next". When this turn? When next turn?

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2016, 06:52:37 pm »
+1

I think I said it somewhere else in this thread, but Fountain Gargoyle... "this turn and next". When this turn? When next turn?
Pretending to not get what perfectly unambiguous English means just because one prefers fan cards to feature Dominion lingo is quite pathetic.
I mean, gee, I don't complain that half of ThetaSigma12's cards feature typos or are dubiously changed cards from somebody else. If he is happy with what he does so be it. Same applies for LA. He might not use Dominion lingo but so what, at least he has cool ideas and tests and changes his cards.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.