Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Resurgence: Library Adventurer's fan expansion (YAFE)  (Read 56467 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Resurgence: Library Adventurer's fan expansion (YAFE)
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2015, 03:36:30 pm »
+1

I really like (Generous) Benefactor, but it has a timing issue. When exactly do other players receive the extra $?

I assume it triggers at the start of the players buy phase. Try for a rewording:
"While this is in play, at the start of any other players buy phase, if that player has no Gold, Platinum or attack card in play, he gets +$1"

Neither this nor the original wording will work. You won't have Gold in play at the start of your buy phase normally, you'll play the Gold after that. The only way I can think of is to reduce the cost of cards as long as no Gold is in play. And I wouldn't include a platinum on the list, because this set doesn't have platinum in it.

Also, it looks like it could be balanced without giving anything to the other players. Terminal silver with no extra bonus now, $1 and a buy next turn. I guess the closest comparison is to Merchant Ship, but the $1 instead of $2 next turn is huge. I mean, look at Fishing Village and lighthouse; they only give $1 next turn, they're non-terminal, have other benefits, and cost WAY less than Merchant Ship.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:47:08 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2015, 03:47:24 pm »

I really like (Generous) Benefactor, but it has a timing issue. When exactly do other players receive the extra $?

I assume it triggers at the start of the players buy phase. Try for a rewording:
"While this is in play, at the start of any other players buy phase, if that player has no Gold, Platinum or attack card in play, he gets +$1"

Neither this nor the original wording will work. You won't have Gold in play at the start of your buy phase normally, you'll play the Gold after that. The only way I can think of is to reduce the cost of cards as long as no Gold is in play. And I wouldn't include a platinum on the list, because this set doesn't have platinum in it.

Argh, i feel pretty stupid now...

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2015, 08:56:12 pm »

I like the drawback that kinda puts an optional restriction on the other players in order to get the +$1, so I want it to be powerful enough to warrant a drawback. (I just didn't like the previous drawback of +$1 without restriction.)

Would the original top half be too powerful with the weaker drawback? like this:
Generous Benefactor
Cost 3  - Action - Duration
+1 action, +$1.
At your buy phase next turn: +$2, +1 Buy.
-
While this is in play, after they're done playing treasures in their buy phase, each other player gets +$1 if they have no gold, platnum, or attack cards in play.
If so, would it be better if I just remove the +1 Action?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2015, 01:10:51 am »
+1

I recently played a crazy fun fortress shananagins game with some Regurgence cards.

Code: [Select]
Haven, Drawbridge, Fishing Village, Fortress, JackOfAllTrades, Noble Brigand, Procession, Pioneer, Cultist, Ancestral Crypt
(Maybe I shouldn't give you the game description. You can pretty much imagine what the game was like just by looking at the kingdom...)
Pioneer introduces a unique use for fortress shananagins with its special ability. Buy a fortress with a pioneer in play and you can play and trash it at the start of your next turn... Buying cultist using pioneer's special ability is pretty cool too.

PS: I had to play an online game with the seven official cards here in order to use the kingdom visualizer and then replace the other three images with the Resurgence card images from the IRL game.  Now I want to reduce the black outside border on the template so they look more like the official card images, but I don't know photoshop well enough to do that.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:53:44 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2015, 05:26:52 am »
+1

What do you think about making Pioneer a looter?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2015, 06:56:07 pm »

Three new untested cards which might make it into Resurgence:

I got this idea based on a kindof backwards version of Fragasnap's Tanner card. It could use improvements, but I'm not sure what. I didn't want it to have +Action because then it could be very powerful if you have a lot of $2 cost actions, and the idea was more intended to gather coppers and estates. (It still becomes powerful with Fool's Gold or Inheritance in the kingdom.) I also don't want it to be too similar to Scout or Apothecary.
Shoveler
Cost $4  - Action
Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. Put any number of revealed cards costing $2 or less into your hand and the rest on top of your deck in any order. If you didn't put any cards in your hand, you may gain a card costing up to $2, putting it in your hand.

EDIT2: A simpler and probably all-around better version of Shoveler:
Shoveler
Cost $4  - Action
Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. Put any number of revealed cards costing $2 or less into your hand and the rest on top of your deck in any order. If you didn't put any cards in your hand, +1 Card.

This, along with Mysterious Door, is intended to replace Potluck in my set, using the 'bottom of deck' mechanic:
Ancient Temple
Cost $5  - Action
Reveal the bottom two cards of your deck. Discard one or both of them. If you discarded both, +3 Cards. Otherwise if the remaining card is an action, play it twice; if it isn't an action, put it in your hand and +$1.
I'm wondering if it might be too strong as is.

This one will be a counterpart to Foundation and will probably replace my Pedestal if it makes the set. The idea was based on mail-mi's Sorcerer's Apprentice card. I removed the trashing option because I wanted it to cost $2 and I have enough trashers in my set.
Building Blocks
Cost $2  - Treasure/Reaction
Worth $1. When you play this, reveal the top card of your deck and discard it or put it back.
-
When you reveal this from your deck, you may put this into your hand. If you do, continue revealing cards as if you hadn't revealed this card.
EDIT1: I just noticed that this makes opponents' trashing attacks more likely to hit.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:34:25 am by LibraryAdventurer »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2015, 01:49:36 am »
+1

Is it frowned upon for me to bump this hoping to get some feedback on my new cards in the previous post?

The only one I've tested so far is shoveler and, as expected, it seems powerful in the early game, and gets somewhat weak (but not terrible) later on. I think it's good like that.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 01:51:41 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2015, 08:18:40 am »
+2

I don't think it's really frowned upon unless you abuse it. Either way, people might not have to say anything still.

I feel Ancient Temple is weird. It's a Smithy+, but also a Throne Room, and a +1 Card, +-thingy... It screams "bottom of deck theme", but i don't really see why it has to be the bottom of your deck. No card stays there, no card is placed there, it's not like you create a storage of cards you have allready seen under your deck. Sure, it interacts with cards that do, but that's not much. Also, i have trouble spotting a theme beyond that. What kind of deck do you want it in? What kind of strategy do you want it for? If it's supposed to be a Smithy+ that looks at the bottom of the deck, why not reduce the number of possible outcomes a bit?

I admit, when i try to remove anything that i feel is unnecessary, i end up with something pretty similar to Catacombs.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2015, 11:49:54 pm »

I don't think it's really frowned upon unless you abuse it. Either way, people might not have to say anything still.

I feel Ancient Temple is weird. It's a Smithy+, but also a Throne Room, and a +1 Card, +-thingy... It screams "bottom of deck theme", but i don't really see why it has to be the bottom of your deck. No card stays there, no card is placed there, it's not like you create a storage of cards you have allready seen under your deck. Sure, it interacts with cards that do, but that's not much. Also, i have trouble spotting a theme beyond that. What kind of deck do you want it in? What kind of strategy do you want it for? If it's supposed to be a Smithy+ that looks at the bottom of the deck, why not reduce the number of possible outcomes a bit?

I admit, when i try to remove anything that i feel is unnecessary, i end up with something pretty similar to Catacombs.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Beyond the 'bottom deck' theme, I need to decide what I want the card to do with the bottom of the deck. I'll have to reconsider & simplify it.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2015, 10:35:27 pm »

Here's a new version:

Ancient Temple
Cost $5  - Action
Reveal the bottom three cards of your deck. Gain a card costing up to half the total cost of the revealed cards. Discard any revealed cards costing $7 or more. Topdeck or discard one other card and put the rest back on the bottom of your deck.
I decided I wanted it to be a gainer, and it's potentially weak or powerful depending on your deck.
EDIT: This card updated 8/19/15.

Also a new Auditor card:

Auditor
Cost 4  - Action - Attack
+3 Cards. Discard a card and put a card on the top of your deck. Each other player draws two cards and reveals his hand. You choose two cards that they have to put on top of their deck.
Inspired by 'Chamber of Secrets' from the Bad Card Ideas thread. I cut my old Auditor because its attack seemed too complicated to be worthwhile.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 07:38:26 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2015, 12:20:10 pm »

Both of these need to mention the order the cards are placed in.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

DragonsDream

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2015, 02:52:17 am »
+1

is "topdeck" an official Dominion term? shouldn't that be "put on top of your/their deck"

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2015, 03:11:52 am »

is "topdeck" an official Dominion term? shouldn't that be "put on top of your/their deck"
Nope, it is not even super-proper Oxford English. And despite actually using the term in my native tongue which is not English when playing card games I'd agree with you that it is spoken and not written English and thus does not in general belong on a fan card ... except when there is a reason to do it, like formatting issues due to a lot of text.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2015, 03:39:39 pm »
+1

I'd be ok with Dominion having more keywords, even if they're keywords invented for fan cards. I know "dig" has been mentioned in the past as a possible keyword, which is just defined as "dig for {x} means reveal cards from your deck until you reveal {x}. Put {x} in your hand and discard the other revealed cards." Topdeck would be another good one. In fact, I'm going to make a new thread for this.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2016, 12:47:30 am »

I'm still working on this set. My newer versions of Auditor (one a couple posts previous in this thread and the other in the 2016 Intrigue contest) both had problems with AP, so I'm reworking it again. This version would replace both the current Auditor and Shrewd Dealer.

Auditor
Cost $4 - Action / Attack
+$2, +1 Buy.
Each other player reveals their hand and discards all curses, ruins, and pure victory cards.
Make them discard their junk so they can't trash* or discard-for-benefit from it.
(*unless Hermit of course).
This is at least my 4th try at a card called 'Auditor'. If this doesn't work out, I'm going to consider the name bad luck...

PS: Please don't criticize the usage of the term 'pure victory card'. We've already had that discussion. It'll be in the Resurgence rulebook.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 12:55:04 am by LibraryAdventurer »

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2016, 07:30:20 pm »

There aren't that many hybrid cards and the attack is not that strong (if there is heavy junking the active player himself is most likely full of junk so he cannot really spam these attacks) so I think it'd be OK if all Victory cards were discarded. Not that the term "pure Victory card" isn't crystal clear, I just think that it might make the attack mildly stronger.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2016, 03:38:33 pm »

Improved version of ancient temple.

EDIT: See Below
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 06:59:58 am by ThetaSigma12 »
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2016, 09:35:58 pm »

Thanks, but I already made an improved version of Ancient Temple, and I dropped the bottom-deck mechanic from the card. The card text below the image is different from what it says on the image. I just haven't gotten around to updating the image yet. I'll try to do it in the next few days.

EDIT: Now, I finally have the OP up to date with images and all cards that are currently in the set.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 01:58:00 am by LibraryAdventurer »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2016, 06:59:34 am »

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 08:12:17 am by ThetaSigma12 »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2016, 07:47:30 pm »

Um, that's the same except a different picture. Why would you do that?

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2016, 08:46:42 pm »

I prefer more thematic art. I found a good image and mocked up an improvement. I'd figure I would share it just in case somebody else wanted it.
Other differences include actual coin symbols and Optimus Princeps for card name and types. I'm hoping to do gargoyle and building blocks too. No offense to your art prefrence, but just thinking other people might prefer actual art instead!

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2016, 10:52:11 pm »

I'm a photoshop novice, and it seems like a pain to mess with all the coin symbols, fonts, and stuff when I'm doing it. Besides, I don't care as much about the look of the card. For someone who's better at photoshop (and cares more), go ahead and add them.

About the art I chose: Wherever I could make it work with the card name, I chose photos taken by my dad on his travels for card art. And the photograph for the Trailblazer card was taken by someone else I know.
If people prefer other art, that's fine, I'm just happy to have people print & play with my cards.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2016, 11:15:09 pm »

Iron Furnace
Cost 2  - Action
Reveal a card from your hand. If it's an action, play it. If it's a treasure, +$1. If it's a victory card, +1 card. In any case, trash the revealed card.

This is super-weak, even when trashing bad cards. It's nice that it's flexible, but I don't think that saves it. I suggest you double all the bonuses, like so…

Iron Furnace
Types: Action
Cost: $2
Reveal a card from your hand. If it's an Action, play it twice. If it's a Treasure, +$2. If it's a Victory card, +2 Cards. Trash the revealed card.
The only issue here is that it is now strictly better than tr, as it has the base tr effect and is useful even when you have no actions, even more so if you have a dual-typed action. I think with the doubled bonuses, it should be minimum $5, probably more, or some on-gain penalty.

Side note: I literally haven't read the rest of the thread yet, tjat post just caught my eye. So if this has been addressed alrady, my apologies.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2016, 11:28:40 pm »

Iron Furnace
Cost 2  - Action
Reveal a card from your hand. If it's an action, play it. If it's a treasure, +$1. If it's a victory card, +1 card. In any case, trash the revealed card.

This is super-weak, even when trashing bad cards. It's nice that it's flexible, but I don't think that saves it. I suggest you double all the bonuses…
The only issue here is that it is now strictly better than tr, as it has the base tr effect and is useful even when you have no actions, even more so if you have a dual-typed action. I think with the doubled bonuses, it should be minimum $5, probably more, or some on-gain penalty.

Side note: I literally haven't read the rest of the thread yet, that post just caught my eye. So if this has been addressed alrady, my apologies.

That suggestion was from a long time ago now. The current version of Iron Furnace (as in the OP) is
Iron Furnace
Cost 2  - Action
Reveal a card from your hand. If it's an action, play it. If it's a ruins, play it again. If it's a treasure, +$2. If it's a victory card, +2 cards. In any case, trash the revealed card.
(besides, his suggestion was never strictly better than TR because the action card would get trashed after being played. -more like procession except without gaining another card.)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 11:30:28 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2016, 07:28:37 am »

I'm a photoshop novice, and it seems like a pain to mess with all the coin symbols, fonts, and stuff when I'm doing it. Besides, I don't care as much about the look of the card. For someone who's better at photoshop (and cares more), go ahead and add them.

About the art I chose: Wherever I could make it work with the card name, I chose photos taken by my dad on his travels for card art. And the photograph for the Trailblazer card was taken by someone else I know.
If people prefer other art, that's fine, I'm just happy to have people print & play with my cards.
Thanks!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.