Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Resurgence: Library Adventurer's fan expansion (YAFE)  (Read 56463 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Resurgence: Library Adventurer's fan expansion (YAFE)
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2014, 11:02:33 pm »
+1

Making it cost $3 normally but $4 when it's in your deck just doesn't seem to add anything of value to the card. $3 and $4 are so close in price anyway... So if you want this card to be better for remodeling, then just make it cost $4. If you want a person to more easily grab multiples with  extra buys, and to double-open, make it cost $3. Changing the cost mid-game is just a extravagant effect that has very little impact on gameplay or card design.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2014, 01:10:21 am »

OP updated with a new card and new versions of Restored Village, Vandal, and a clearer and slightly less busy version of Foundation.

EDIT: Also added Cobblestone Road.

EDIT2/PS: Does anyone know how I can hide the part of the OP with the old versions of changed cards?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 01:24:02 am by LibraryAdventurer »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2014, 03:02:28 pm »
+2

<haven't thought of a name for this one yet>
Cost 5 - Action - Duration
+3 Cards, +1 Buy.
-
On the turn you play this, you may buy any one action or treasure card for $2 less than it costs. If you do, set it aside at the end of your turn. Next turn: Play the set aside card and trash it at the end of your buy phase.

This seems super-strong, clunky, and confusing. Worst case scenario, you buy a Copper using this ability and get a free +$1 next turn. But probably you can afford to pay $1 for a Silver; a small price to pay for +$2 next turn. I suggest you use a simpler version of the core concept. "While this is in play, when you gain an Action card, you may set it aside. If you do, play it at the start of your next turn, then trash it." Even without the cost reduction, you still get the benefit of the effective extra card and Action on your next turn.

Cobblestone Road
Cost 4 - Action
+2 Cards. Discard any number of cards from your hand. +1 Action for each card you discard this way.

Way back in the day, WanderingWinder made a 50-card expansion called Dominion: Conquest. Probably the best card from that set is this card, which he called Medical Tent. Looking through the lens of my experience today, I can say with some certainty that this has to cost $5. Consider: Donald tried [+2 Cards; +1 Action; Discard a card] and found it to be too strong for $4. The other options are all weaker. [+2 Cards] is a bad Moat. [+2 Cards; +2 Actions; Discard 2 cards] is a solid $4 card. [+2 Cards; +3 Actions; Discard 3 cards] and its ilk are progressively weaker as you discard more cards. But the total package provides great flexibility. So although the card doesn't look too appealing at $5, I think that's the only price that makes sense for it. I'm guessing it's way stronger than it looks.

Restored Village
Cost 5 - Action
+2 Actions. Discard up to two cards. Draw up to 5 cards in hand.

Speaking of cards that look unappealing at $5, this one looks pretty sad. Even if it's fine power-wise, I don't think it's very elegant. I think I'd like it way more if you could discard any number of cards.

Vandal
Cost 5  - Action - Attack
+2 cards. Each other player reveals the top 3 cards of their deck. They discard one revealed ruins and all other revealed action cards. If no actions are revealed, that player gains a ruins. If any ruins are discarded +$2.

I think that, regardless of how strong it actually is, this would make me want to play a boring, Action-less deck. If you do keep it, it should have the Looter type.

Foundation
Cost 3  - Action - Reaction
+1 Action. +$1. Look at your top deck card. Discard it or put it back.
-
When this card is discarded besides during a clean-up phase, +1 card on your turn. When this card is trashed, you may gain a silver.

I don't understand "+1 card on your turn". Are you saying the ability only works when it's your turn, in order to avoid Militia rules confusion? If so, it should probably read, "When you discard this during your Action phase, +1 Card." I guess that's OK, but it seems like maybe more trouble than it's worth. There should be a dividing line between the when-discard and when-trash effects, since they happen at different times. Really you should just scrap the when-trash effect. What does it add to the card?

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2014, 01:30:16 am »

This seems super-strong, clunky, and confusing. Worst case scenario, you buy a Copper using this ability and get a free +$1 next turn. But probably you can afford to pay $1 for a Silver; a small price to pay for +$2 next turn. I suggest you use a simpler version of the core concept. "While this is in play, when you gain an Action card, you may set it aside. If you do, play it at the start of your next turn, then trash it." Even without the cost reduction, you still get the benefit of the effective extra card and Action on your next turn.
For some reason, I didn't think of the next turn extra card+extra action advantage. I think I'll use your suggested wording:
<haven't thought of a name for this one yet>
Cost 5 - Action - Duration
+3 Cards, +1 Buy.
-
While this is in play, when you buy an Action card, you may set it aside. If you do, play it at the start of your next turn, then trash it.

Cobblestone Road
Cost 4 - Action
+2 Cards. Discard any number of cards from your hand. +1 Action for each card you discard this way.
Way back in the day, WanderingWinder made a 50-card expansion called Dominion: Conquest. Probably the best card from that set is this card, which he called Medical Tent. Looking through the lens of my experience today, I can say with some certainty that this has to cost $5. Consider: Donald tried [+2 Cards; +1 Action; Discard a card] and found it to be too strong for $4. The other options are all weaker. [+2 Cards] is a bad Moat. [+2 Cards; +2 Actions; Discard 2 cards] is a solid $4 card. [+2 Cards; +3 Actions; Discard 3 cards] and its ilk are progressively weaker as you discard more cards. But the total package provides great flexibility. So although the card doesn't look too appealing at $5, I think that's the only price that makes sense for it. I'm guessing it's way stronger than it looks.
I thought I remembered a mention of someone posting a card very similar to this and was reluctant to put it with my cards, thinking it was really my version of someone else's card. I didn't know it was the exactly the same as someone else's card. Funny in the old thread they were wondering if it should cost $3. The one game I played this in, I tried it at $3. It seemed too strong for $3, but I thought it'd be fine at $4.
What if it was just "+2 Cards. You may discard two cards. If you do, +2 actions."?

Restored Village
Cost 5 - Action
+2 Actions. Discard up to two cards. Draw up to 5 cards in hand.
Speaking of cards that look unappealing at $5, this one looks pretty sad. Even if it's fine power-wise, I don't think it's very elegant. I think I'd like it way more if you could discard any number of cards.
I kindof agree it looks unappealing for $5, but the previous version ("+2 Actions. Discard a card. Draw up to 5.") seemed strong for $4. I wouldn't mind making it any number of cards, but I guess I'd rather make a way for it to be okay at $4.
It seems similar and yet opposite to Cobblestone Road. It's a philosophical paradox. Maybe I could mesh the two cards together. hmm... When you're going to draw up to X, discarding tends to be good, so:
Restored Village
Cost 4 - Action
You may discard a card. If you do, +1 Action. Otherwise, +2 actions. Draw up to 5 cards in hand.
yuk. That'd be frustrating cause you find out when you draw your cards if you made the wrong choice whether to discard or not.
Restored Village
Cost 4 - Action
+2 Actions. You may discard a card. Draw up to 5 cards in hand. If you discarded a card, put a card back on your deck.
(brainstorming here) ehhh... Might work, but looks weird. Maybe I'll try this or maybe I should settle for the $5 version with discard any number.

Vandal
Cost 5  - Action - Attack
+2 cards. Each other player reveals the top 3 cards of their deck. They discard one revealed ruins and all other revealed action cards. If no actions are revealed, that player gains a ruins. If any ruins are discarded +$2.
I think that, regardless of how strong it actually is, this would make me want to play a boring, Action-less deck.
Nothing ever makes me want to play a boring, actionless deck. I'll see how it works. This card has changed a few times, and it'll likely change again.

Foundation
Cost 3  - Action - Reaction
-
When this card is discarded besides during a clean-up phase, +1 card on your turn. When this card is trashed, you may gain a silver.
I don't understand "+1 card on your turn". Are you saying the ability only works when it's your turn, in order to avoid Militia rules confusion? If so, it should probably read, "When you discard this during your Action phase, +1 Card." I guess that's OK, but it seems like maybe more trouble than it's worth. There should be a dividing line between the when-discard and when-trash effects, since they happen at different times. Really you should just scrap the when-trash effect. What does it add to the card?
arg. I thought the reaction was clearer than the previous version. It's supposed to work after militia, but Awaclus pointed out that it wasn't clear as it was, so I added 'on your turn' to (try to) make it clear that the +1 card was after the attack resolved.
The on trash effect is there because enhanced TfB was part of the card concept. Would it be better to scrap the on-trash, and put the "This costs $4 when not in the supply" part back? I want it to have something like that.
Ideally, this was closer to what I had in mind, but I thought the reaction made it too strong to cost $2, but maybe not:
Foundation
Cost 2* - Action - Reaction
-
This costs $4 when not in the supply. When this card is discarded besides during a clean-up phase, +1 card after you finish discarding.
Also, does this wording for the reaction work?
PS: I don't care about dividing lines as long as the effect is clear.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 01:38:08 am by LibraryAdventurer »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2014, 08:10:34 am »
+1

The one game I played this in, I tried it at $3. It seemed too strong for $3, but I thought it'd be fine at $4.

Don't. This is almost never true. You should think about price categories as 2$ - 3/4$ --- 5$ - 5$+. If you decide that a card falls in the second category, then the question is, do you want the option to open with two of them. If so, make it cost 3$, if not, make it cost 4$. It can be a little bit different if the card provides +buy, but generally, I don't think the 3/4 decision can be used for balance effectively.

As for the card, I made this. that's not necessarily helpful to you, but it's relevant. the card does the same, except it makes the choice for you, based the number of unused actions you have. as such it's clearly weaker, and it has the controlling aspect. I didn't get around to testing it yet, but I will soon, and I expect it to be strong at 3/4$.

about restored village: I just don't like draw-to-x on non-terminals, even though it keeps popping up. I also think sifting without hand size reducing is very strong, so I have my doubts about the balance. Then again it's a necropolis in draw engines. Yea, meh.

Foundation looks okay. You did open a thread for this one. And for the rest, I agree with LF.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2015, 05:39:54 pm »
+1

I recently played a few games with a Resurgence-based kingdom:

1st game (by myself): Foundation3, Pedestal4, Throne Room4, Auditor4, Restored Village4, Barracks5/Conscripts, Pioneer5, Kingdom Restoration5, Archeologist5, Ancestral Crypt6.

2nd game (with others 3p): Vagrant2, Foundation3, Pedestal4, Throne Room4, Auditor4, Restored Village4, Upgrade5, Pioneer5, Kingdom Restoration5, Ancestral Crypt6.

3rd game (with others 3p): Vagrant2, Foundation3, Storeroom3, Pedestal4, Throne Room4, Marauder4, Restored Village4, Pioneer5, Kingdom Restoration5, Ancestral Crypt6.

In the first game, I used my version of Conscripts and then decided I'd probably like LF's current version better. I learned that Archaeologist and Auditor can be confusing when used together (I just added my version of Archaeologist to the OP). I'll probably tweak Archaeologist to try to fix that.
These games had a few times where Restored Village was played with more than 5 cards in hand (when it's worse than a Necropolis), so I think that balances it out for the times when it's very strong. Foundation is really weak on play (obviously), but I think it's reaction makes it worthwhile. It goes well with Pioneer's special ability. Pioneer gets played as just +3 cards, +1 buy about half the time, but it's extra option does come in useful sometimes. Pedestal is a little combersome in play, but not more than Adventure/Venture/Golem are. A mostly like how Kingdom Restoration and Ancestral Crypt work, but I'd like to make Ancestral Crypt cost $5 instead of $6 (maybe by making the 1VP on it conditional). I am finally considering removing the second option from Kingdom Restoration, but then I'd want to rename it and make a new card called Kingdom Restoration that can return cards to the supply from the trash because that's part of the card concept.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 05:01:47 pm »

For what it's worth, i would like to note that a "draw to X" Village, while defending against discard attacks, is obviously Necropolis in draw engines. If you were hit by a discard attack, Restored Village will leave you with only one of the cards you had before, leaving four up to luck (on the other hand, the one you keep is the best).

I think standard "up to 5" is balanced at $4. Restored Village is a bit stronger, but not enough to be good at $5 and too much to be reasonable at $4, i think.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2015, 05:44:27 pm »

I'm trying to decide on an above-the-line effect for my Collectables card. I think it'd be best if it isn't something that depends on card cost because that would probably give the card too much self-synergy. I want to do this 'half a caravan' effect, but I can't figure out the wording. I have +1 Card then I want players to discard a card for every two Collectables they have in play. Any suggestions?
Also, do you think this should cost $4?

This is the best wording I've thought of so far:
Collectables
Cost 3  - Action - Duration
+1 Card, +1 Action. Next turn: +1 card. Discard a card if this is an odd numbered Collectables in the order you have them in play.
 -
While this is in play, all cards in your hand, deck, or discard pile cost $1 more.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:07:47 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2015, 11:06:31 pm »
+1

I had an idea. Restored Village seemed strong to me, and other people are agreeing that it is too strong for $4 (but too weak for $5) as-is. So, since I really like the current version, what about adding an interesting on-buy drawback?

like this:
Restored Village
Cost 4 - Action
+2 Actions. Discard a card. Draw up to 5 cards in hand.
-
When you buy this, gain a ruins for each unused action you have (action, not action card).

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2015, 02:58:26 am »

Played a couple more resurgence-based games.

Game1: Collectables, Drawbridge, Cobblestone Road, Joint Upgrade, Death Cart, Archaeologist, Royal Heirloom, Ghost Ship, Inheritance, Hoard.

Game2: Collectables, Drawbridge, Cobblestone Road, Joint Upgrade, Counterfeit, Cartographer, Archaeologist, Royal Heirloom, Ghost Ship, Inheritance.

It's a Death & Inheritance themed kingdom. We often play mostly the same kingdom a couple times in a row (usually with one or two cards switched out) so my playtesters can learn the cards better. I added Counterfeit to the 2nd game because I wanted +Buy. I don't know why I put in Cartographer. It didn't fit any better than Death Cart, and neither of them were bought.
   Collectables + Joint Upgrade (or any TfB for that matter) can be very powerful, but I don't really think collectables is too strong. Part of the problem is that Joint Upgrade is strong and the benefit for other players is rarely used (because of its cost). I think I'll put Joint upgrade back on the 'cards likely to be junked' list. But I would like my expansion to have a remodel variant card.
   LF said Cobblestone Road should cost $5 as-is, but it really doesn't seem overpowered. Anyway if I'm convinced it's too powerful for $4 I'll make the option either discard two cards for +2 Actions or don't discard.
   Drawbridge, Archaeologist, and Royal Heirloom also seem good as-is. I like how they work.
   Inheritance is fun. I just need to replace or change Uncle Thread.

Here's a modified Death & Inheritance themed kingdom which I'll use sometime later:
Game1: Excavation, Collectables, Drawbridge, Cobblestone Road, Graverobber, Archaeologist, Royal Heirloom, Ghost Ship, Inheritance, Ancestral Crypt.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2015, 04:34:08 pm »

Hey, I just had an idea to replace my old Vandal card:

Vandal
$5 - Action - Attack
+2 cards. Each other player may reveal a victory card from his hand and put it onto his deck. If he doesn't, he gains a ruins.  You may reveal a victory card from your hand and put it on your deck. If you do, +$2.

What do you think?
I'm wondering if it's too weak for $5. Could it be +3 Cards?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 04:46:02 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2015, 04:55:23 pm »
+2

Hey, I just had an idea to replace my old Vandal card:

Vandal
$5 - Action - Attack
+2 cards. Each other player may reveal a victory card from his hand and put it onto his deck. If he doesn't, he gains a ruins.  You may reveal a victory card from your hand and put it on your deck. If you do, +$2.

What do you think?
I'm wondering if it's too weak for $5. Could it be +3 Cards?

Tough to say if it's better at +2 Cards or +3 Cards without testing. Seems potentially scary at +3 Cards.

Wording suggestion:

Vandal
$5 - Action - Attack
+2 cards. Each player (including you) may reveal a Victory card from his hand and put it onto his deck. If you do, +$2. Each other player who doesn't gains a Ruins.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2015, 08:41:42 pm »

I think I figured out a solution to my collectables card. Here's the latest version:

Collectables
Cost 4  - Action - Duration
+1 Card, +1 Action. Next turn: Reveal the top card of your deck, if it costs $3 or less, put it into your hand.
 -
While this is in play, all cards in your hand, deck, or discard pile cost $1 more.
The top part anti-synergizes with itself, but I don't think that's a bad thing when you can Remodel a $4 cost card into a province with two of these in play.

In other news:
- After initial playtesting, the new Vandal seems good with +2 cards on it.
- I'll be working on getting images up for my fan cards so they'll be easier to print and use. EDIT: It could take me a while to figure out photoshop well enough to put up card images...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 03:14:56 am by LibraryAdventurer »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2015, 01:14:33 am »

I'm not sure if you care about interactions with cost reducers, but consider changing the wording to "if it costs less than this, put it in your hand" for more elegance. It also lets the card draw $3 cost cards on the next turn, which I think is a necessary change because right now this just looks like a weak Caravan with minor interactions with trash for benefit cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2015, 10:28:51 am »
+1

Drawbridge's wording is strange. First off, by "next turn:" I assume you mean "at the start of your next turn,". Also, why "when You would be affected by another player's attack" instead of "when another player plays an attack"? They should be functionally the same, except that they can't choose to play Minion and Pirate Ship for their non-attack options and then trash them. And it causes ambiguous rules, for example does Witch "affect you" if Curses are empty? Does Militia affect you if you have 3 cards in hand?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2015, 11:35:17 am »
+1

Now that inheritance is a thing, you can say "your cards", and not have to specify cards in your hand, deck, and discard. But still, Collectables just looks like a weaker Caravan. And as was pointed out before, the cost increase doesn't work with TFB, because once you trash it, it's not your card anymore, so it reverts back. Also, cost increasers are ambiguous with cost decreasers.M if you have a highway and a collectable in play, does copper cost $1 or $0? Both answers are equally valid.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 12:23:21 pm by GendoIkari »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2015, 09:34:08 pm »

But still, Collectables just looks like a weaker Caravan. And as was pointed out before, the cost increase doesn't work with TFB, because once you trash it, it's not your card anymore, so it reverts back.
That's just silly. Every time I've played with it the cost increase worked with TfB because we use common sense. It's okay that it's just a weak caravan above the line because the below the line effect is the point of the card.

Also, cost increasers are ambiguous with cost decreasers. if you have a highway and a collectable in play, does copper cost $1 or $0? Both answers are equally valid.
depends on which you played first. If you played the highway first, then it costs $1 (the collectables takes effect after the highway fails to take effect). If you played Collectables first, then it costs $0 (both take effect and cancel each other out).

Drawbridge's reaction is meant to trigger only when you would be affected by an attack. And I don't see the ambiguity. It seems obvious to me that witch doesn't affect you if the curses are empty, same for militia if you already only have three cards in hand.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2015, 11:52:36 pm »
+1

But still, Collectables just looks like a weaker Caravan. And as was pointed out before, the cost increase doesn't work with TFB, because once you trash it, it's not your card anymore, so it reverts back.
That's just silly. Every time I've played with it the cost increase worked with TfB because we use common sense. It's okay that it's just a weak caravan above the line because the below the line effect is the point of the card.

Cost increase works with TfB if the cost increase were for all cards. But if it's for cards that are in your hand, deck, or discard (or "your cards"), then it simply doesn't work. Common sense may tell you that when you play Procession on Band of Misfits, choosing a $3 action, that you should get a $4 action in return, but you don't. You get a $6 action, because Band of Misfits costs $5 when it's in the trash. The wording on the card has a defined meaning in the rules already, and if your fan card uses the same wording to mean a different rule, then there's an issue. It's like having "+1 card", and then saying that for your card, that doesn't mean "draw a card", it means something else.*

If you want it to work with trash for benefit, but also not help your opponents, then you could say "on your turns, cards not in the supply cost $1 more." This should have the same effect you are intending, with the exception that it changes the way Knights and Rogue work a little.
Also, cost increasers are ambiguous with cost decreasers. if you have a highway and a collectable in play, does copper cost $1 or $0? Both answers are equally valid.
depends on which you played first. If you played the highway first, then it costs $1 (the collectables takes effect after the highway fails to take effect). If you played Collectables first, then it costs $0 (both take effect and cancel each other out).

I think that's a fine ruling, but it is a new rule that doesn't exist in Dominion currently.
Drawbridge's reaction is meant to trigger only when you would be affected by an attack. And I don't see the ambiguity. It seems obvious to me that witch doesn't affect you if the curses are empty, same for militia if you already only have three cards in hand.

What is the reason for only triggering then though? How would the card be different if it triggered when an attack is played? And of course it's obvious to you, you designed the card so you know what you intended. But it's not something that's defined in the rules of Dominion at all; it's a new concept that needs a new rule. Using when an attack is played avoids this issue, makes the card consistent with all other attack-reactions, and still functions the same. The only way in which it functions differently is that your opponents would have the option to trash an attack after playing it even if it doesn't affect you.

*Edit - I'm not meaning to say that what you're doing is quite the same as that, because that would be obviously dumb, and I'm not trying to insult you like that. The situation we're talking about is an obscure thing that lots of people wouldn't play correctly in the first place if they weren't the types of people to either read these forums or carefully think about rules. They're just both examples of having a fan card that requires a rule that contradicts the rule of an official card.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 12:02:48 am by GendoIkari »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2015, 12:34:12 am »
+1

Cost increase works with TfB if the cost increase were for all cards. But if it's for cards that are in your hand, deck, or discard (or "your cards"), then it simply doesn't work. Common sense may tell you that when you play Procession on Band of Misfits, choosing a $3 action, that you should get a $4 action in return, but you don't. You get a $6 action, because Band of Misfits costs $5 when it's in the trash. The wording on the card has a defined meaning in the rules already, and if your fan card uses the same wording to mean a different rule, then there's an issue. It's like having "+1 card", and then saying that for your card, that doesn't mean "draw a card", it means something else.*

If you want it to work with trash for benefit, but also not help your opponents, then you could say "on your turns, cards not in the supply cost $1 more." This should have the same effect you are intending, with the exception that it changes the way Knights and Rogue work a little.
Ok, you've convinced me it needs to change since it contradicts an existing rule. I guess I'll have to make it wordier, "While this is in play, all of your cards cost $1 more and, if trashed, retain the new cost until the card that trashed them is resolved."  Ugly, but it'll have to do until I think of something better.
If I say "All cards not in the supply" that really hurts your trashing attacks (also incl. Swindler). Part of the intended effect is to make trashing attacked played against you weaker and I don't want it to have the opposite effect on your trashing attacks.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 04:53:56 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2015, 02:34:32 am »
+1

I now have images up for most of the cards in OP (using Showdown's template)*, and I added two new cards:

Ancestral Crypt
Cost 5  - Action - Victory
+1 Card. Trash up to two cards from your hand. For each card you trash that costs more than $0, gain a coin token.
 -
Worth 1 VP if you have at least two coin tokens left when the game ends.
This one I created a while back and have played with a few times. I don't know why I didn't post it earlier. It originally cost $6 and had no condition on the VP, but I wanted it to cost less than $6. (I think it was a little weak for a $6 cost anyway.)

Mysterious Door
Cost 3  - Action - Attack
Each other player reveals the bottom card of his deck. You decide if he puts it on top or discards it. Either way, if the player on your left: topdecked an action card, do what it says as if you played it; discarded an action card, +2 actions; revealed a victory card, +2 Cards; revealed a treasure card, +$2.
I'm considering this to replace Potluck. I like Potluck, but it always seems strong for its cost and I wanted it to be cheap.

I'm also considering this change to an older card of mine:
Generous Benefactor
Cost 3  - Action - Duration
+$2
Next turn: +$1, +1 Buy.
-
While this is in play, each other player gets +$1 at their buy phase if they have no gold, platnum, or attack cards in play.

*PS: several of the images I used are pictures taken by my dad on his travels.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 02:37:36 am by LibraryAdventurer »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2015, 03:56:36 am »

Isn't the phrase "Generous Benefactor" redundant?

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2015, 10:37:11 am »

Why look at the bottom card rather than the top?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2015, 11:39:49 am »

I really like (Generous) Benefactor, but it has a timing issue. When exactly do other players receive the extra $?

Why look at the bottom card rather than the top?

That way it's actually helping the other player. Playing a 5$+ card for 3$ is a powerful effect, so that's balancing it. I don't know if the card can work in multiplayer though...
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2015, 02:49:07 pm »
+1

I really like (Generous) Benefactor, but it has a timing issue. When exactly do other players receive the extra $?

I assume it triggers at the start of the players buy phase. Try for a rewording:
"While this is in play, at the start of any other players buy phase, if that player has no Gold, Platinum or attack card in play, he gets +$1"

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2015, 03:32:01 pm »
+1

Isn't the phrase "Generous Benefactor" redundant?

I don't think so. "Benefactor" means someone who gave money. "Generous Benefactor" means someone who gave a LOT of money. Like the phrase "give generously". "Generous" in this case doesn't mean "kind" but it means more "without holding back."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.