Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Skip the Adventures code  (Read 19334 times)

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: serakfalcon
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
Skip the Adventures code
« on: May 14, 2014, 12:56:21 pm »
+23

Tired of hours of grinding through adventure levels, having to put up with bot stupidity? Tired of losing games because the bots rushed scout and you didn't? Want to get the promos as fast as possible? Upset that you can't at least have normal starting hands? Low on zaps?

Get your revenge today! Presenting the Skip All the Adventures Code! Brought to you thanks to Goko not checking the length of your starting hands, and letting you modify them via the client.

How to use it? Simple! Paste this code into the web console while on the main menu or Adventures menu:

CampaignClient.prototype.setHands = function () {
        var gameData = this.campaignData[this.avatarWorld][this.avatarRegion];
        if(gameData) {
            this.myHand = $.extend(true,[],gameData.yourCards);
            this.otherHand=$.extend(true,[],gameData.opponentCards);
        }
        this.otherHand.push("curse", "curse", "curse","curse","curse","curse","curse","curse","curse","curse");
    }

CampaignClient.prototype.buildGameHands = function (campaign, game) {
      var gameData = this.campaignData[campaign][game];
      var hands = [];
        var i = 0;
      var numOpponents = gameData.numPlayers - 1;
      var defaultHand = ["copper", "copper", "copper", "copper", "copper", "copper", "copper","estate","estate","estate"];
        for (i = 0;i<10;i++) {
            defaultHand.push("curse");
        }
        for (var i =0; i<40; i++) {
            this.myHand.push("silver","duchy");
        }
        hands.push(this.myHand);
        hands.push(this.otherHand);
      for (i = 1; i < numOpponents; i++) {
         hands.push(defaultHand);
      }

return hands;
   }

You will notice that the opponent's deck now has 10 curses. That means the code is working. If you want to spend zaps, feel free, but there really isn't much point to it. As soon as the game starts, it will end with you as the victor (with 40 duchies, because, why not)

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
Re: Skip the Adventures code
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 01:10:35 pm »
+8

This doesn't feel right.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 01:10:52 pm »
+18

If only someone had told them during beta that they should never trust the client...

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 01:14:16 pm »

... and I hope that only works in adventure mode?

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 01:25:47 pm »
+1

... and I hope that only works in adventure mode?
Me too.
Of course, the campaign code to start a game and the multiplayer code is really different, I haven't looked through the multiplayer code to see if it would be possible to do something similar.

I was just looking for a way to get the starting hands to work properly and this is what I ended up with.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25711
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 02:21:00 pm »
+11

The way to look at it is, if you can modify starting hands/decks, wow they desperately need to fix that. And what better way to get them to fix it then to make them, by causing trouble? And when they fix it, maybe that will stop some parts of the mod from working, but really that's a small price to pay.

Yet somehow the way I think of it is, it's a bummer that we can't have nice things. And I'm sorry I asked you guys for help!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3228
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 02:28:57 pm »

sweet!

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 02:48:51 pm »
+5

Couldnt you have used this power for good and enforce identical starting hands? Isnt that what people wanted...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 05:09:54 pm »

Couldnt you have used this power for good and enforce identical starting hands? Isnt that what people wanted...
Note that this modifies starting deck, not starting hand.  I'm not sure if starting hands can be modified directly, but I posted a proposal for doing it indirectly some time ago on the Salvager thread, a poll was created and most respondents said they wouldn't use the feature, so it wasn't implemented. 

Identical starting decks for adventures have also been discussed over in the Salvager thread, and that feature may actually happen.  If you want it right now, you might try a variation on serakfalcon's code where you put Copper and Estates in both decks instead of curses, duchies, etc.
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 05:16:13 pm »
+2

Yeah sorry I miss worded that (badly)

What I meant was starting decks to mean the other bit doesn't start with silver and provinces etc

That's what people have been asking for adventures, not just an auto win (although I'm sure some people want that)
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 05:28:39 pm »

Note that this modifies starting deck, not starting hand.  I'm not sure if starting hands can be modified directly, but I posted a proposal for doing it indirectly some time ago on the Salvager thread, a poll was created and most respondents said they wouldn't use the feature, so it wasn't implemented. 

Identical starting decks for adventures have also been discussed over in the Salvager thread, and that feature may actually happen.  If you want it right now, you might try a variation on serakfalcon's code where you put Copper and Estates in both decks instead of curses, duchies, etc.

The problem (discussed in the Salvager thread) is that you can't actually do that. The server validates that the first 10 cards in your deck are cards you could have gotten by using zaps. So on those horrible kingdoms where you start with five Coppers and five Curses, you can't give yourself seven Coppers and three Estates, because there's no way to zap Curse into Copper.

What serakfalcon is doing gets around that, by leaving your starting 10 cards alone, and then just filling your deck with Silver/Duchy, and filling your opponents' decks with Curse. It turns out the server doesn't check for cards beyond the 10th, because it doesn't expect them to exist.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 05:55:25 pm »

Right, the Salvager thread is really talking about auto-zapping to get as close as possible to the usual starting decks.  Salvager can already auto-zap, but the current option just zaps everything it can, so if you have a bunch of zaps you end up with the advantage instead of the bot.  But if "fair" auto-zap is implemented that will at least be closer to what Ozle (and presumably others) want than the current state of things. 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

jl8e

• Steward
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 10:33:04 pm »
+2

If only someone had told them during beta that they should never trust the client...

Not strong enough. It’s more like “The client is a filthy, evil liar, who will do everything it can to cheat, break things, and compromise your servers.”

(This is a lesson that people writing networked games had learned by 1991, and getting it so badly wrong makes me wonder if they had anyone who’d done serious web development before, much less worked on a game.)

They did find out, eventually, but they’re stuck inserting validation after the fact in an engine that was built on the assumption that they could trust the client, and that means that if somebody thinks of something they don’t, it’s probably an exploitable hole.

(Not that I’m going to check, but a variation of this probably works in regular games, too.)

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 03:07:01 am »

Unfortunately, we can do all these incredibly game-breaking things, and yet, we can't get the campaign starting hands to go back to normal because of a server-side zap check. So, you can thank Goko's wonderfully talented team of programmers for that one.
Well, at least they didn't forget to check something ;)
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 05:23:02 am »
+4

Does anybody actually want the promos to be available only to players who beat dozens of Adventure levels?
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 05:39:03 am »

Yeah, pretty much. This bug/feature highlights a much bigger problem, that I only became aware of after some more digging. [...] So, for example [...] So yeah, that's a pretty serious flaw. [...]

It's best to not share stuff like this in public. Report it to MF for them to to fix and hope to maintain some security through obscurity in the (likely indefinite) meantime.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 05:42:22 am »

Yeah, pretty much. This bug/feature highlights a much bigger problem, that I only became aware of after some more digging. [...] So, for example [...] So yeah, that's a pretty serious flaw. [...]

It's best to not share stuff like this in public. Report it to MF for them to to fix and hope to maintain some security through obscurity in the (likely indefinite) meantime.

Okay, yeah.  I just deleted that one too.

serakfalcon, stop shattering our illusions!
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 06:13:13 am »
+11

Okay, yeah.  I just deleted that one too.

serakfalcon, stop shattering our illusions!

Well, you know, I took a crack at an interesting problem, started looking through some code, one thing led to another and now my posts are redacted for the security of the online dominion community. Programming is a slippery slope!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 05:24:53 pm »
+10

Does anybody actually want the promos to be available only to players who beat dozens of Adventure levels?
The promos are promotional (hence the name). For the physical English versions, Jay thinks it's important that everyone be able to get them (as do I); they may be available at whatever con, but eventually you can buy them at BGG. For non-English versions, Jay has left it up to the individual companies. For example I know the Japanese Stash came with a strategy guide (four people rated all the cards released to that point and capsule-reviewed them; Navigator came in last); they were trying to sell strategy guides.

For online Dominion the initial idea - from Ted or someone else who is no longer working there due to the whole company concept crashing and burning, so - was that you could get the promos from the adventures, or from winning tournaments, or from some third way, I'm not sure what it was (winning weekly challenges?). Obv. the beauty of getting promos from adventures isn't making you play adventures, it's making you buy expansions. You can't play the campaigns without the expansions and uh well this seems clear and isn't so unreasonable. The campaigns ideally are fun and keep you interested and you want to play more of them and there's this prize for beating them. So you buy all the expansions, profit.

Obv. selling promos directly makes a profit, although uh it's hard to see how that works out as well without them just being crazy expensive relative to cards from expansions. But the point to the promos isn't to make money directly, it's to promote; selling them goes against that, though that doesn't mean we'd complain if Making Fun did it. Selling them turns them into bonus tracks; they are fan-gougers at that point. I think it's much better to be able to get them from winning tournaments or doing the adventures; one way for serious players, one for casual players, maybe a good third way. The promos would like to feel special.

I mentioned bonus tracks so here is that speech.

Bonus tracks are a way to screw over consumers. There's a certain amount of utility in the transaction, both sides want as much as they can get; the seller gets more by selling the same product for different prices to different people but can't directly do that; the real product isn't the physical CD or cardboard or whatever, it's the work that went into it; so, bonus tracks. You sell multiple versions of the album with different bonus tracks to gouge fans. You sell a best-of to get something from the people who the albums weren't worth it to; you put a new song on the best-of to gouge fans. In this day and age it all falls apart because I can go on youtube and just record the bonus track, sry I do not wish to order the Japanese import version.

So anyway the promos are similar in that you can gouge fans by charging way more for these few extra cards. People it's not worth it to don't buy them and that's fine, you are trying to extract all the utility and you already have there. For the people who would pay twice as much for Dominion, you get some of that extra utility via selling the promos. We don't do this though; in fact I personally get paid nothing for the promos (well except when they get used elsewhere, as in the Japanese rethemes, and hey I presumably make out from the promotion). To us they aren't a product. They promote.

In January I would have said, give these guys some time. It's May; unless they have been programming a new version from scratch, I am not so optimistic. Will there ever be a second way to get the promos? Man. GL.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 05:27:27 pm »
+1

I'd rate as high the chances of getting banned from Goko for using this. It's unambiguously a cheat and modifies their code, so it'd clearly be justified. Assuming adventures create logs (not sure if this is true?), it's obvious who used the cheat too, so they can find you. And banning users either forces you to re-buy (= more $) or decreases the load on their servers, so it's a win either way.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 05:30:38 pm »
+4

I'd rate as high the chances of getting banned from Goko for using this. It's unambiguously a cheat and modifies their code, so it'd clearly be justified. Assuming adventures create logs (not sure if this is true?), it's obvious who used the cheat too, so they can find you. And banning users either forces you to re-buy (= more $) or decreases the load on their servers, so it's a win either way.
The question is, are they devoting enough resources to Dominion to spend any of them on banning cheaters.

Incidentally real server load is I believe not an issue remotely; the lag results from no-longer-on people still being pinged by the system despite attempts to forget about them (serakfalcon, plz find and fix that bug).

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 05:36:36 pm »
+1

The question is, are they devoting enough resources to Dominion to spend any of them on banning cheaters.

Seeing as Alibenballa is still #5 on the leaderboard (and jumps back to #1 whenever he feels like playing some sham games), I'd say no.

Incidentally real server load is I believe not an issue remotely; the lag results from no-longer-on people still being pinged by the system despite attempts to forget about them (serakfalcon, plz find and fix that bug).

They've found the cause?  That's great!  And they still haven't fixed it??  That's horrifying.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 05:37:16 pm »

I tried this and the first board I played had a Moneylender :(

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2014, 05:41:23 pm »
+3

They've found the cause?  That's great!  And they still haven't fixed it??  That's horrifying.
That's what Jeff's guess was (due to logging)... on April 6th. It was sending lots of messages to players who weren't there anymore, without timing out.

The program also sends tons of data repeatedly that makes no sense - like, repeatedly sending the image for Silver - and that's obv. worth fixing, but that's not the problem. When they restart the server, it starts out fast.

I haven't had any updates and don't know where things stand, other than, when I go on and play a game, there's lag.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2014, 05:44:56 pm »
+3

The only cheater they ever took direct action against just had his rating reset. I'd say the chances of getting banned for anything less than something that would also motivate them to get you into jail are close to zero.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.