Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: GokoDom III BRONZE MATCH -- LIVE Tuesday 20 May 1600 PDT - 1900 EDT - 2300 UTC  (Read 30131 times)

SirD

• Bishop
  • Life is supposed to be fun
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile

...and I'll do a voice-over commentary.  Maybe I could persuade jog to do the voice-over together with me.

That would be awesome. I will watch this for sure. Especially if you both comment, but also if you do it alone.

I tried to talk SCSN into doing a life commentary yesterday (with a second stream on top of yours), but we all came up with the idea only shortly before the match, which made the encouragement be somewhat ambushy :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:22:47 am by SirD »
Greetings,
SirDagen

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama

Boy, I do love dominion, but do I love it enough to watch a 5 hours silent video? I doubt that.

Great match, AI. I watched the first hour live.

Yeah, fair point.  I wouldn't want to watch my slow, tedious, silent play either. :P

I'm going to do a little video editing tomorrow.  At a minimum, I'll provide the games with the spectator's chatroom comments.  Ideally, I'll trim the games to a watchable length by cutting out the time that I spend just sitting there thinking, and I'll do a voice-over commentary.  Maybe I could persuade jog to do the voice-over together with me.

That's all assuming that this would be something people would actually want to watch.  Is it?  I don't really have much experience with the whole dominion video thing.
I would actually want to watch it, definitely at least some of the games.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
+1

I tried to talk SCSN into doing a life commentary yesterday (with a second stream on top of yours), but we all came up with the idea only shortly before the match, which made the encouragement be somewhat ambushy :)

I won't be at home until Sunday night, so if the continuation is then I might be willing to do this if there's enough interest (let me know in some way if you're interested), though it would be quite the challenge to comment on Andrew's thought process during his elongated ponderings; I'm completely clueless about what's going on!

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile

I won't be at home until Sunday night, so if the continuation is then I might be willing to do this if there's enough interest (let me know in some way if you're interested), though it would be quite the challenge to comment on Andrew's thought process during his elongated ponderings; I'm completely clueless about what's going on!

One the one hand, the double lag (recording, then recording of commentary) could be annoying; on the other, if they play slowly, we won't notice the lag much at all.

SirD

• Bishop
    • View Profile

One the one hand, the double lag (recording, then recording of commentary) could be annoying; on the other, if they play slowly, we won't notice the lag much at all.

Technical there is no double lag, because we would watch the screen recording from SCSN totally in sync with his own audio. He just records the stream from AI. Its like stream hijacking.

I would be interested indeed and appreciate your (amazingly fast) insights and estimations.

I can understand that it could be a challenge, though there is no real need to say something if you dont feel to, people would watch the stream also in silence. As I understand this it is only a generous supplement to the pure video stream.

Another interesting format (maybe also for other occasions) would be to make a skype call with a second forum member so two moderators could discuss what happens and would contribute different ideas.

This is so exciting, especially all the new possible ideas.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:14:55 am by SirD »
Greetings,
SirDagen

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
+3

Technical there is no double lag, because we would watch the screen recording from SCSN totally in sync with his own audio. He just records the stream from AI. Its like stream hijacking.

I would be interested indeed and appreciate your (amazingly fast) insights and estimations.

I can understand that it could be a challenge, though there is no real need to say something if you dont feel to, people would watch the stream also in silence. As I understand this it is only a generous supplement to the pure video stream.

Another interesting format (maybe also for other occasions) would be to make a skype call with a second forum member so two moderators could discuss what happens and would contribute different ideas.

This is so exciting, especially all the new possible ideas.

EDIT: I guess there has to be a short test run to check whether your internet connection does support the (maybe heavy) data transfer of two streams (down and up).

SCSN's internet connection, apparently, is fast enough to support him meta-commenting on the commentary he's providing on his commentary of AI's stream, all in glorious IMAX-quality high definition. I wouldn't worry about that part.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
+1

SCSN's internet connection, apparently, is fast enough to support him meta-commenting on the commentary he's providing on his commentary of AI's stream, all in glorious IMAX-quality high definition. I wouldn't worry about that part.

According to speedtest.net my connection has an upload speed of 93Mbps.

Holy shit.  I don't think I can even buy that as a download speed without getting a dedicated line.  (Checking)  I can buy 110 down/10 up for the low price of $210/mo.  Dayum.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile

I'd most probably watch it. It might be even more interesting if you get on a skype call with someone uriong your commentary, so we get to hear different points on view on what should be done.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
+26

I can't promise it will work out, but the tentative plan is for me and Mic Qsenoch to deliver live commentary directly into Andrew's stream. I've asked Mic because he is the top player whose taste and  approach to the game seem most different from my own, which should make for more interesting comments.

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
+29

JOG and I will finish our match tomorrow (Sunday) at 2PM PDT (9PM GDT).

As you already know, I don't want to do my own audio commentary during the match, as I'm worried that it'll throw off my game.  However, SCSN has devised an even better solution: live commentary from him and Mic Q!

How this works for you:

Go to my twitch channel like last time.  You'll be able to watch the game, listen to the commentary, and participate in chat.  SCSN and Mic Q will also be able to see and respond to your chat comments, but there will be a 20-30 second delay (details on this below).

How this will work for us:

1. SCSN and Mic Q will connect directly to my computer using a VNC client.  They'll watch the game in real time and discuss it together over Skype.
2. SCSN will broadcast both the game and their audio commentary to my twitch channel.
3. You'll see the game and hear the commentary with a 20-30 second delay.  That's the minimum that twitch can do, apparently.  JOG is trusting me not to listen to the commentary, and I'm trusting him not to look at my hands.
4. SCSN and Mic Q will see and respond to comments in the twitch chat room.  Bear in mind, however, that although they're seeing your chat instantly, they'll be 20-30 seconds further ahead on the game itself when they do.
5. I'll record the whole thing, including the chat room, from another computer.  I'll post that on either twitch or youtube later.

PS: If you think this is awesome and are inclined to upvote this post, upvote SCSN's post immediately above it instead or in addition.  I'm just describing his idea.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:18:38 am by ragingduckd »
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
+12

4. SCSN and Mic Q will see and respond to comments in the twitch chat room.  Bear in mind, however, that although they're seeing your chat instantly, they'll be 20-30 seconds further ahead on the game itself when they do.

While this is technically true, keeping up with the hectic chat in the first part of the final frequently made me miss even what Andrew did in the game. Given that now in addition to giving comments of my own I have to be really focussed both on AI's and Jog's actions and whatever it is that Mic says, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the chat goes completely past me. So don't feel slighted if I ignore your comment (or say it's nonsense, for that matter), I love you all the same.

Then a message for those who like to combine their Dominion watching with engaging in drinking games: concerned as I am about your health and safety I contacted a toxicologist, who assured me that if you take no more than four shots at the beginning of any one of Andrew's turns, you'll be sober again by the time the turn is over ;)

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
+5

if you take no more than four shots at the beginning of any one of Andrew's turns, you'll be sober again by the time the turn is over

That's going in my signature.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

SirD

• Bishop
    • View Profile

I can't promise it will work out, but the tentative plan is for me and Mic Qsenoch to deliver live commentary directly into Andrew's stream. I've asked Mic because he is the top player whose taste and  approach to the game seem most different from my own, which should make for more interesting comments.

Man, this is the new definition of awesome.

P.S. Are you going to play more design kingdoms? These are so satisfying to watch, that I even dont care if the players take a lot of time to think.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:30:18 am by SirD »
Greetings,
SirDagen

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
+1

P.S. Are you going to play more design kingdoms?

Yes.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
+1

In order to win, one must have difference of 2 in match score? Like for example 16-14?

EDIT: Ok I looked it up: It is lead by 1 or more after even number of games. (Which is by 2 if no ties, but with ties it can be just by 1).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 10:46:27 am by yed »

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
+6

In order to win, one must have difference of 2 in match score? Like for example 16-14?

Sweet Jesus, no!  NOT like 16-14!!

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile

Don't worry, probability of it lasting at least 30 games is less than one in a thousand assuming random results.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile

However, there is a 1/16 chance that we'll need more kingdoms than the 8 honorable mentions...

c4master

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
+3

However, there is a 1/16 chance that we'll need more kingdoms than the 8 honorable mentions...
:D

If they are tied even after 16 games (!) then I really think they should both be the Champions of the world, get a nice Carribean island and constitute a whole new religion.

Just my two Coppers, though.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile

Man, I wish I were actually available to watch this live.  Hopefully the match and commentary will be recorded.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
+4

bump.  this is happening right now
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

SirD

• Bishop
    • View Profile
+1

Thank you all making this happen. It was really wonderful, though I expected four games at least :) What a wonderful Gokodom.

If anybody needs the chat, its attached.
Greetings,
SirDagen

JOG

• Baron
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
+17

Congratulations to Andrew for the win.  It was well deserved.

This whole tournament has been great, especially the final.  The kingdoms have been very well designed. 
It's unfortunate the games today were not of the same quality as the games we played on Thursday.  Although, I think the ending of game 1 would have been spectacular if AI got another turn.  AI played great today, even in game 1, while I did not play very well at all.   
This was my first time playing with designed kingdoms, and it was awesome.   You have to put a lot more thought into the games, and they end up being high quality games that are enjoyable to watch and play.
I would love to see more design challenges in the future.  It would be great to see designed kingdoms used in league play.  Maybe the last week of each season, but I don't know how that would work. 

Thanks Polk, Kirian, and GreatExpectations for organizing the Kingdom Design Challenge and the tournament.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
+3

The bronze match will be taking place tonight at 7 PM EDT.  Come and watch IF YOU DARE!

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile

The bronze match will be taking place tonight at 7 PM EDT.  Come and watch IF YOU DARE!

If this match goes 5 hours, when will the next installment be on?
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.