Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Who lives in NYC?  (Read 7723 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Who lives in NYC?
« on: December 05, 2011, 02:00:52 pm »

Yesterday I had a pleasant boardgaming afternoon with lympi on this forum, and it occurred to me that maybe there are others on this forum who are also in NYC?  I'm always interested in playing some games with people from other gaming groups (because it leads to interesting interactions when two different game group cultures collide -- see, e.g., lympi's reaction to how ruthlessly we play Ticket to Ride).

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Re: Who lives in NYC?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 02:39:42 pm »

Technically I live in Philly, but I'm here all the time.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 02:50:13 pm »

albany here, but down in/near nyc often enough. are you proposing some sort of meet up or just looking for regular gaming?
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

lympi

• Salvager
  • You'll never catch me, Copper
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 02:54:29 pm »
+1

I'm always interested in playing some games with people from other gaming groups (because it leads to interesting interactions when two different game group cultures collide -- see, e.g., lympi's reaction to how ruthlessly we play Ticket to Ride).

We were playing Ticket to Ride? I'm pretty sure that wasn't Ticket to Ride. That was some sort of perversion of board game physics.

Tickets were drawn before any trains were placed! Completed routes materialized out of thin air! Locomotives were called "rainbow trains!" Cats and dogs were living together!

p.s. greatexpectations, I'm actually from Guilderland. Upstate represent.
Then God said, Let there be a Village, and another Village, and another Village, and a Village, and I've got a silver and a copper. I'll buy a Village. -Ousgg on BGG

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 03:09:24 pm »

I'm from Old York. Does that count?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 03:31:47 pm »

I'm from Old York. Does that count?
Old York City?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 04:11:11 pm »

albany here, but down in/near nyc often enough. are you proposing some sort of meet up or just looking for regular gaming?
A one-off seems much more feasible.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 10:52:25 pm »

A one-off seems much more feasible.

i would consider that. big fan of settlers, puerto rico, and ticket to ride myself.

p.s. greatexpectations, I'm actually from Guilderland. Upstate represent.

im actually just outside troy, but still pretty close. know of anyone who plays?  most of my friends here are video gamers, not board gamers.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 08:33:58 pm »

I'm in NJ same problem. Video gamers, not board gamers.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

mangaguy

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 01:33:45 am »
+3

I live in New York City!
I'm a college student, so a shitload of free time whenever I'm home, so yeah.

Since discovering board games like a year ago, I've mingled with a bunch of different board game groups in NYC, mostly through meetup.com, because of my insatiable urge to play board games and lack of enough friends that play. Anyways, I'll talk about my experiences.

First and foremost, there's the huge NYC Board Games and Card Games meetup group, which has a ton of people. There are biweekly meetups that regularly hit up to 40 people, and other smaller weekly ones and such. A lot of older board gamers, but a group of diverse people. Theor best meetup in terms of location is their TriBeca Whole Foods one because of its amazing venue. The cafeteria is well lighted and has plenty of space. It might be strange to play in public, but still, safety in numbers, LOL. There are meetups at a Murray Hill Cosi, Kings Games in Brooklyn, Citigroup Plaza on Lexington, and a private small basement club in Chelsea. Anyways, there are a lot of gatherings and nice people, so it's fun. It's a bit awkward at times just because there are different people, but overall a smooth experience if you want to join.

Next is a smaller group of NYC Tabletop Games. It usually meets at the Citigroup Plaza at Lexington as well, but at the same time as a hoard of Magic players on Monday. The group has a lot of younger people, mid twenties and thirties, and they play a bunch of card games and stuff. Less on the eurogames and harder games though. I've been there once and they were cool people.

The Reddit.com NYC meetup group also has a small frequent meetup for board gamers. I haven't gone yet, but it seems to usually consist of 5-10~ people and gathers at someone's apartment. It shares the same demographics as Reddit, which are, again, college aged gamers. It's in Brooklyn and also usually plays Dominion and more of the newer lighter games.

For the Queens people, fear not, you aren't excluded. Your borough has its own damn meetup group. However, as I haven't gone, (fuck queens), I can't testify as to its audience and attendance, but some members also frequent the NYC Boardgames meetups so they seem to share similar audiences.

And most recently, there's a new Thursday weekly meetup at a FLGS in Williamsburg named the Twenty Sided Store. I've gone to the one weekly night they offered and it was great, so I plan on visiting again. They have a store copy of Dominion (no expansions) but sell all of them. Also seemed to be mostly younger board gamers. It's also a big M:TG hub, iirc.

And there are scattered other meetups that I haven't noticed, either because they're private or small or far away. There's supposed to be a weekly meetup at The Brooklyn Strategist, but I haven't gone since I discovered it because it seems a bit pricy. And there's a Settlers Meetup group and a Monopoly Meetup group that I haven't checked because I'm not very into those games. But to each their own!

Anyways, that's pretty much my experience in the last two years in New York. I haven't noticed that many different attitudes, but I'm not very attentive to these things, sooo. But yeah, plenty of board gaming in New York, which I love.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 05:25:01 pm »

Welcome to the forum! I like you already. Here's the look I ended up with after seeing the great quality of your post: :P
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 10:32:58 pm »

I live in NY

nightdance

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 01:31:12 pm »

I'm totally interested. :)

theParty

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 02:32:20 pm »

I'm actually moving to Princeton in the fall, and will be in NYC a decent amount.  If any sort of meetup happens, keep me in the loop.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 06:21:09 pm »

Just popping in here to say that I just moved back to NYC.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 09:28:06 pm »
+1

I'm in NJ same problem. Video gamers, not board gamers.

I hate the paradigm that board games are fundamentally different from video games.  Of course there are some video game genres that can't be emulated by board games, but if you ignore the medium gaming is gaming, the same thing is happening.

I think it causes lots of video gamers not to give board games a shot and lots of board gamers not to give video games a shot. 

I spend lots of time playing Dominion online.  I also spend lots of time playing traditional RPGs on my DS, and although technology makes that more convenient for me, I'm not playing something that wouldn't be possible on paper and pencil with a thick book.

That's the other thing, it irritates me when old fogies think gaming is on the rise because of technology.  The printing press is the only technology that was necessary.  Paper and pencil gaming was on the rise before computer technology started gaining and occupied the same space.  But if computers hadn't done that, it'd be rather safe to assume that Modern Warfare 3 would be a paintball theme, that rpg players would buy books to play with friends or at home and perhaps compare scores, starcraft players would be playing a war game at blitz chess speed, and MMORPG players would be dealing in currency for a hierarchal CCG instead of playing on a computer.

This is a totally uncalled for rant that has nothing to do with who lives in NYC, because I don't, but I wish I did, and not just so I could live next door to theory.  But it's General Discussion so hopefully I won't get punished.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.