Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Interesting multiplayer game.  (Read 1446 times)

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
Interesting multiplayer game.
« on: May 14, 2014, 05:21:46 am »
+1

Code: [Select]
Village, Bishop, Farming Village, Embassy, Ghost Ship, Royal Seal, Upgrade, Goons, Hoard, Nobles
Hi, I played IRL a two games with following kingdom. There are several possible strategies and question is if they are fast enough.

So how would you play this if as a
a) Four player game?
b) Three player game?
c)  Two player strategy should be obvious.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting multiplayer game.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 07:50:34 am »
+2

c)  Two player strategy should be obvious.
no.

My plan would be similar in all 3 games: go for goons.

First shuffle: Silver/Silver (or a lucky Upgrade/-).
Second shuffle: add Upgrades for $5+ or villages for $3-$4. On a lucky $6, sigh and take upgrade anyway.
  In 4P, I may take a 3rd silver over village. You get attacked all the time and really want $5+.
Third shuffle: $3-$4 = village, $5 = 2nd Upgrade > Ghost Ship, $6 = Goons only in 2P without Ghost Ship, Nobles in 3-4P.
Fourth shuffle: get the draw up, then add multiple goons.

• in 2P playing the attack is more important then with more players. Esp. with 4 players you can have faith in the fact that everybody else gets attacked anyway.
  • Bishop/Hoards look unplayable with any number of players. If an opponent takes bishop, then ghost ship > 2nd upgrade.
  • I'm not that worried about the goons split. As long as I get 2 of them, even in 4P I think I'm ok. Draw (to increase frequency of upgrade, ghost ship and/or goons) is more important.
Join the Dominion League!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 08:05:06 am »

This is a tricky one and there isn't just one way to play it in multiplayer. You might even want to change your buys based on what the players to your left and right are doing as the sequence of turns with goons-bishop-ghost ship is important. I'd also assume that opening with a bishop will leave you in trouble but if a couple of people try it then the dynamics change a lot, and someone might even try ghost ship then bishop from a 5/2 start. This then changes your strategy for upgrades. Stef's advice still holds the general sequence. I'm guessing the 3-pile ending is nobles/villages/goons but if you skip them because they'll run out fast then you're just giving other players more cards and time for a strong strategy.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 09:43:07 am »

This is a tricky one and there isn't just one way to play it in multiplayer. You might even want to change your buys based on what the players to your left and right are doing as the sequence of turns with goons-bishop-ghost ship is important. I'd also assume that opening with a bishop will leave you in trouble but if a couple of people try it then the dynamics change a lot, and someone might even try ghost ship then bishop from a 5/2 start. This then changes your strategy for upgrades. Stef's advice still holds the general sequence. I'm guessing the 3-pile ending is nobles/villages/goons but if you skip them because they'll run out fast then you're just giving other players more cards and time for a strong strategy.

In our four player game everybody played a embassy/hoard bm with nobles on 6. I considered goons for while but decided they would be too slow as three players would quickly pile provinces.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 10:54:53 am »

We're already into group think then. The simulator suggests that if one player from four does ghost ship + hoard they will have a good advantage, however if two use ghost ships it becomes fairly even, but if three players use ghost ships then the remaining embassy player has a big advantage.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.