Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Robz vs Pirate Ship  (Read 33797 times)

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
Re: Robz vs Pirate Ship
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 05:25:37 pm »
+1

And again on Turn 9. Is that just an error with the log?

On turns 6 and 9 he had only two Coppers in hand.

Funnily, I remember one of my earliest interactions with Robz on this forum, which was him making this very same mistake: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9217.msg284255#msg284255. Some things never change, I guess.

Breezy D

• Salvager
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 06:02:45 pm »

I'm glad amalloy caught that I only had 2 coppers in hand those turns. I was stumped why I didn't buy anything when I had 6 coins.

One advantage of farming village over mining village is that it let's you sift through green cards to your next treasure or embassy as in T21. The other occasions when I had farming village in hand, I only had one copper. I could have bought a silver that turn instead of a copper.

Having a second embassy would have been nice, but I'm not sure that there was time to get it. Maybe instead of province in T5. I also bought a province on T8.

Had I bought a gold or embassy on T5 or T8, I would have more economy for T9 where I'd bought nothing & T12 + T14 where I'd bought estates. However as of T14, Gamesou's assault begins and treasures start to get trashed.

It's been a while since this game and I think  I've improved in the meantime but I'm not sure I could do tons better now with big money. I think this is a board where PS shines.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2014, 06:18:19 pm »
+1

but these are only boards where people think Pirate ship is good! Surely to be fair we should also post the one's where it is obviously bad, i.e., most of them.

This is more about posting a board where you think Pirate Ship is a good option and Robz tries to prove you wrong.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2014, 06:32:52 pm »
+1

you need these in a game:

-> chapel
-> pirate ship
-> throne room
-> no virtual coin of any kind
-> no way to get spoils
-> no +action

and you can't ignore pirate ship. i've had a game that came very close to that... didn't save the log though. I believe if there really is a game that meets all conditions and both players know what they're doing, it's a stalemate.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 06:34:09 pm by silverspawn »

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2014, 06:38:25 pm »
+1

you need these in a game:

-> chapel
-> pirate ship
-> throne room
-> no virtual coin of any kind
-> no way to get spoils
-> no +action

and you can't ignore pirate ship. i've had a game that came very close to that... didn't save the log though. I believe if there really is a game that meets all conditions and both players know what they're doing, it's a stalemate.

Looking through your history for games that come close to this, I found an entertaining game: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20130609/log.5182cd42e4b05e4ebc88aeed.1370821839686.txt#2-12

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 06:39:30 pm »

Code: [Select]
Beggar, Moat, University, Woodcutter, Pirate Ship, Salvager, Smithy, Thief, Harvest, Fairgrounds
Obligatory post.  His Ships were more interested in Potions that any amount of precious metal.... hits my Potion on Turns 3, 8, 11 and 15.  Kinda needed to buy Universities for my engine.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 07:29:53 pm »

Obligatory post.  His Ships were more interested in Potions that any amount of precious metal.... hits my Potion on Turns 3, 8, 11 and 15.  Kinda needed to buy Universities for my engine.

Like any other card, Pirate Ship is at its best when it hits exactly the right things.  I don't think that makes PS good here though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 02:16:29 am »
+1

You also buy a late game Farming Village that should absolutely be a Mining Village.

If I'm reading things correctly, you had two opportunities on Turns 6 and 9 to buy more Treasure, and instead did nothing. I also think you turned for Estates way too early. You never get a second Embassy...

So, I'm far from convinced--based on your log--that Pirate Ship beats BM Embassy.

You found no fault at all with gamesou's play? I'm certain that he could have set up the Pirate Ship engine at least a couple of turns faster.

TrojH

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2014, 10:18:42 am »

Here's one to add to the list:

Chapel, Fool's Gold, Conspirator, Ironworks, Pirate Ship, Hunting Party, Stables, Wharf, Hoard, King's Court
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140423/log.52fd2ddde4b04fb9429416b5.1398273206817.txt

This was from a few weeks ago, so my memories may not be entirely accurate. Still, here goes:

My original plan on this board was a Conspirator engine. No Fool's Golds, no Pirate Ships. But when my opponent started grabbing Fool's Golds, I decided to switch tactics; I grabbed some Pirate Ships to go after his Fool's Golds. (I know, I know. Dumb move.)

My opponent was also interested in Pirate Ships. In fact, he was able to power up his Pirate Ships to a higher level than mine (5 coins versus 4), even though I never touched the Fool's Golds. But those Pirate Ships didn't help him; I won easily. My engine came together, I started grabbing Provinces, and I won on a 3-pile ending. (Conspirators, Ironworks, and Pirate Ships.)

Now, Robz, I know you'll say I should've stayed away from the Pirate Ships altogether. But I'm curious as to what you would've done instead. Would you have competed for the Fool's Golds? Would you have let him grab them all, and just focused on the engine? Given your opponent's interest in Fool's Golds, how would you have played this board?

Oh yeah, one more thing: apparently, I never bought a Wharf during this game. I don't know why. I must've switched off my brain, or something.

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2014, 11:21:49 am »
+3

When I saw the thread, I immediately thought about my Gokodom II game against Breezy D, and then discovered that it has already been mentioned  :o
Designer of Chronos Conquest

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2014, 11:46:07 am »
+5

Now, Robz, I know you'll say I should've stayed away from the Pirate Ships altogether. But I'm curious as to what you would've done instead. Would you have competed for the Fool's Golds? Would you have let him grab them all, and just focused on the engine? Given your opponent's interest in Fool's Golds, how would you have played this board?

I'm Robz, and I'm convinced that Chapel into KC/wharf/conspirator will crush anything involving pirate ship or fools gold here.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2014, 12:22:15 pm »
+1

Chapel, Fool's Gold, Conspirator, Ironworks, Pirate Ship, Hunting Party, Stables, Wharf, Hoard, King's Court
Maybe if we knock it up another notch.

Bam!

Duchess, Fool's Gold, Chancellor, Village, Woodcutter, Pirate Ship, Festival, Knights, Mint, King's Court
Log: http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20130525/log.50a208ebe4b0058ff63ee808.1369522493514.txt

This is a pretty old game, and I don't know how optimal our play was. Just like TrojH's game, it has Fool's Gold, Pirate Ship, and King's Court. But here, there's also Knights. Fool's Gold and King's Court are safe from Knights, but not much else is safe. KC/Knights is particularly frustrating as it can allow 1 knight to trash 3 others. Not much draw here either.

Here, I open with Pirate Ship hoping to take away my opponent's FGs and I figure they'll become devastating once they are KC'ed. My opponent responds by getting Mint to trash a bunch of treasure. The game no doubt degenerates into a long Knight war.

I'm thinking this would have been a clear rush for FG had it not been for Pirate Ship. 

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2014, 03:28:46 pm »

I'm Robz, and I'm convinced that Chapel into KC/wharf/conspirator will crush anything involving pirate ship or fools gold here.

But if your opponent goes for Fools Gold, grab a Pirate ship and trash all his treasure with KC+PS.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2014, 03:31:36 pm »

But if your opponent goes for Fools Gold, grab a Pirate ship and trash all his treasure with KC+PS.

But that's one KC less to use on Conspirators. KC+PS will still win you the game if your opponent goes for FG though.

Edit: JC->KC
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:36:10 pm by markusin »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2014, 04:40:33 pm »

it's not necssary, you can just ignore him and do your own thing. with KC and Wharf, you can easily set up turns where you roflcourt through all of your conspirators.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2014, 05:51:08 pm »

Chapel, Moneylender, Pirate Ship, Smithy, Throne Room, Worker's Village, Band of Misfits, Wharf, Hunting Grounds, King's Court
Rob, could you win in this infamous kingdom versus pirate ship?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2014, 05:56:51 pm »

Chapel, Moneylender, Pirate Ship, Smithy, Throne Room, Worker's Village, Band of Misfits, Wharf, Hunting Grounds, King's Court

This is such an obvious engine board that Pirate Ship wouldn't have time to get good.  Your deck would be mostly actions, so if they happen to trash one of your golds (which is unlikely) it's no big deal, you're going to be drawing your deck in no time anyway.

(edit: fixed a typo)
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

luser

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2014, 06:19:56 pm »

This is such an obvious engine board that Pirate Ship wouldn't have time to get good.  Your deck would be mostly actions, so if they happen to trash one of your golds (which is unlikely) it's no big deal, you're going to be drawing your deck in no time anyway.

No you would lose quite badly here.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2014, 06:42:44 pm »

Should we wait for Robz or should I continue to keep score?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2014, 07:08:51 pm »

You snooze you lose. Keep scoring!

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2014, 08:04:55 pm »

You snooze you lose. Keep scoring!
Come now, I don't think we even gave him 24 hours here.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2014, 03:11:20 pm »
+1

You absolutely do not want to buy Pirate Ship here.

You want to buy Band of Misfits and play it as Pirate Ship.  ;D
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2014, 03:25:49 pm »

You got some catching up to do Robz.

EDIT: I updated the scoring in the original post. There are still three games awaiting input from Robz.

EDIT #2: I added links to the original posts of the games so you don't have to go scrolling to find them.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 03:46:19 pm by AndrewisFTTW »

luser

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2014, 07:39:57 pm »

You absolutely do not want to buy Pirate Ship here.

You want to buy Band of Misfits and play it as Pirate Ship.  ;D
Yes, this is board that leck, top player on casual leaderboard uses againist unsuspecting players, using pirate ship (BoM) is key here, see his logs

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/logsearch?p1name=leck&p1score=any&p2name=&startdate=08%2F05%2F2012&enddate=05%2F16%2F2014&supply=&nonsupply=&rating=casual&pcount=2&colony=any&bot=false&shelters=any&guest=false&minturns=&maxturns=&quit=false&resign=any&limit=20&submitted=true&offset=0

For buying pirate ship itself I would replace band of misfits with quarry.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2014, 09:59:24 am »

Pirate Ship won me the game, I'm pretty sure. You can't avoid it I don't think. Bane was Menagerie

Scrying Pool, Forager, Great Hall, Menagerie, Pirate Ship, Quarry, Silk Road, Young Witch, Explorer, Laboratory, Forge

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140522/log.51467e35e4b0de86766bf3f3.1400767049026.txt
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.