Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Robz vs Pirate Ship  (Read 33796 times)

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
Robz vs Pirate Ship
« on: May 13, 2014, 12:53:14 am »
+11

I know I'm not posting a game but I just thought since there have been so many posts trying to prove to Robz that Pirate Ship is viable, we should just put them all in one thread. So if you'd like to prove Robz wrong about Pirate Ship being useless, post your game here.

Current score: Robz 7 - 1 Pirate ship

Game 1 - theJester - Robz
Game 2 - Breezy D - Pirate Ship
Game 3 - shark_bait - Robz
Game 4 - TrojH - Robz
Game 5 - markusin - Robz
Game 6 - luser - Robz
Game 7 - Kingzog3 - Robz
Game 8 - Silverspawn - Robz
Game 9 - AndrewisFTTW - Under review
Game 10 - SheCantSayNo - Under review
Game 11 - luser - Under review
Game 12 - kylar - Under review

Many have tried, many have failed. Post your winning Pirate Ship strategy here and let the experts debate it!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:50:49 pm by AndrewisFTTW »
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
Re: Robz vs Pirate Ship
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 01:01:17 am »
+13

BRING IT.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

theJester

• Bishop
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 08:53:43 am »

I'm not an expert player, and probably both myself and my opponent made a number of mistakes, but I'd like a opinion on this kingdom:

Code: [Select]
Cellar, Cutpurse, Pirate Ship, Scout, Bandit Camp, Laboratory, Stables, Treasury, Wharf, Bank
So, we have excellent draw with no treasure trashing (and no trashing at all) and weak virtual coin (Cutpurse and Treasury): a reasonable board for Pirate Ship, I believe. Both me and opponent went for it, although I was luckier in my hits and thus won. Log is here: http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140508/log.513eb79ae4b0da6e3de08f09.1399559075138.txt

Any alternate strategies here, ones that exclude Pirate Ship? Wharf+Bank seems strong, but Pirate Ship should be great counter to it, no?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 09:09:47 am »

I'm not an expert player, and probably both myself and my opponent made a number of mistakes, but I'd like a opinion on this kingdom:

Cellar, Cutpurse, Pirate Ship, Scout, Bandit Camp, Laboratory, Stables, Treasury, Wharf, Bank
So, we have excellent draw with no treasure trashing (and no trashing at all) and weak virtual coin (Cutpurse and Treasury): a reasonable board for Pirate Ship, I believe. Both me and opponent went for it, although I was luckier in my hits and thus won. Log is here: http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140508/log.513eb79ae4b0da6e3de08f09.1399559075138.txt

Any alternate strategies here, ones that exclude Pirate Ship? Wharf+Bank seems strong, but Pirate Ship should be great counter to it, no?
Bandit Camp is a pretty strong virtual coin card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 09:13:01 am »
+1

Simple Bandit Camp/Wharf can easily beat any Pirate Ship thing here. The trashing from Pirate ship is quite helpful to this deck and the Spoils are eventually Pirate proof because you just play them the same turn that you gain them. You have a nice 5/2 here, your turn 4 buy should be another Wharf or Bandit Camp instead of the Pirate Ship.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 11:03:59 am »
+4

No Copper trashing is not a reason to go for PS. In fact, it's a reason not to go for PS.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 11:07:27 am »

Pirate Ship easily crushed by semi-virtual coin from Bandit Camp and coin cantrips in form of Treasury. Those are pricey cards, but you have all the time in the world if your opponent buys Pirate Ship.

Open Cutpurse/Silver, and you might not even ever have to buy another Silver (probably just one more), so, good luck Mr. Pirate Ship.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 11:40:27 am »
+3

Seeing players discredited the worth of PS before Robz has got me thinking that there should be a screening process. A claim that PS was useful must first pass through group of high level judges. Only if the judges deem it possible that PS was useful does Robz give his argument against it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 11:51:33 am »
+6

Seeing players discredited the worth of PS before Robz has got me thinking that there should be a screening process. A claim that PS was useful must first pass through group of high level judges. Only if the judges deem it possible that PS was useful does Robz give his argument against it.
This would make a good reality TV show.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 11:59:24 am »
+11

This would make a good really niche reality TV show that would be cancelled partway through its first season.

Fixed that for you.

That said, I would totally watch it.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 12:26:40 pm »
+7

This would make a good really niche reality TV show that would be cancelled partway through its first season.

Fixed that for you.

That said, I would totally watch it.
It would be one of those shows with a cult following. The fans would search the internet for the entire series once it got canceled, convinced it was the best show ever but taken away before its time.

Breezy D

• Salvager
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 01:13:26 pm »
+2

I submit this game to the panel. I played it with Gamesou during Gokodom II. (http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9312.msg289773#msg289773)

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130906/log.516d321ae4b082c74d7b345d.1378479819785.txt

Scrying Pool, Menagerie, Farming Village, Mining Village, Moneylender, Pirate Ship, Wandering Minstrel, Embassy, Mine, Stables

I started off strong with BM Embassy and then after 4 provinces, all my economy had been destroyed by a barrage of pirate ships.

At the time, I hadn't realized what was happening till it was too late. But in retrospect, I still don't know what I'd do differently. Maybe bought coppers instead of estates and hope to pick up a few duchies along the way.

The real challenge seemed to be lack of +buys.

What do others think?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 01:58:06 pm »
+2

Yes, the challenge is the lack of +Buy.  And I do believe you are right that you can't ignore Pirate ship. 

One interesting sidenote about this kingdom is that if both players aggressively pursue Moneylender trashing in Pirate Ships one may buy an Embassy putting a Silver into the opponents deck, use Scrying Pool to find said Silver and then play Pirate ship to get the token.  This could be viable if players trashed so much of their Copper resulting in low value Pirate Ships.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 02:02:40 pm »

The lack of +buy goes hand in hand with the lack of any alternative economy. There's no +coin in this deck except for mining village and this is only temporary, so is moneylender with the side effect that you're going to run out of copper soon.

I'm even doubting if you can "just" play potion here ...
Here comes the mirror man. Says he's a people fan.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 02:09:51 pm »
+3

We should keep score:

Robz 1 - 0 Pirate Ship

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 02:11:39 pm »

I submit this game to the panel. I played it with Gamesou during Gokodom II. (http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=9312.msg289773#msg289773)
I think that Pirate Ship is actually good on this board. You don't want to play big money against it (since the engine cycles so fast with so little effort here, the engine player can buy many Pirate Ships and play them often to wreck your economy, as demonstrated by the log), and if you go for the engine, your possible payloads are PS, Mine and Treasure cards, out of which Treasure cards and Mine are weak against PS.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 02:12:41 pm »

We should keep score:

Robz 1 - 0 Pirate Ship

I think PS wins a point though for the kingdom Breezy just posted. PS has an important role in attacking the other persons treasure.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 02:16:28 pm »

We should keep score:

Robz 1 - 0 Pirate Ship

I think PS wins a point though for the kingdom Breezy just posted. PS has an important role in attacking the other persons treasure.

Robz should have some input first. And you're biased, ya goddamn pirate!

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 04:13:57 pm »

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130906/log.516d321ae4b082c74d7b345d.1378479819785.txt

Scrying Pool, Menagerie, Farming Village, Mining Village, Moneylender, Pirate Ship, Wandering Minstrel, Embassy, Mine, Stables

I started off strong with BM Embassy and then after 4 provinces, all my economy had been destroyed by a barrage of pirate ships.

At the time, I hadn't realized what was happening till it was too late. But in retrospect, I still don't know what I'd do differently. Maybe bought coppers instead of estates and hope to pick up a few duchies along the way.

The real challenge seemed to be lack of +buys.

What do others think?

My first reaction is that Embassy BM can win quickly enough here, but Pirate Ship definitely has a chance. Okay, I'm following your log. Why did you buy nothing on Turn 6?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 04:15:02 pm »

And again on Turn 9. Is that just an error with the log?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 04:19:25 pm »

You also buy a late game Farming Village that should absolutely be a Mining Village.

If I'm reading things correctly, you had two opportunities on Turns 6 and 9 to buy more Treasure, and instead did nothing. I also think you turned for Estates way too early. You never get a second Embassy...

So, I'm far from convinced--based on your log--that Pirate Ship beats BM Embassy.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 04:20:49 pm »
+3

On turns 6 and 9 he had only two Coppers in hand.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 04:31:53 pm »

On turns 6 and 9 he had only two Coppers in hand.

Shoot, you're right. I was thinking the hand he drew was his hand that turn. Hmm.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 04:32:31 pm »

I would have to test this set. Can't right now though.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 05:11:28 pm »

but these are only boards where people think Pirate ship is good! Surely to be fair we should also post the one's where it is obviously bad, i.e., most of them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 21 queries.