Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Can you deny it Robz?  (Read 2249 times)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
Can you deny it Robz?
« on: May 12, 2014, 10:56:47 pm »

Code: [Select]
Scrying Pool, Fortress, Pirate Ship, Plaza, Remodel, Salvager, Counting House, Mine, Altar, Hoard
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140512/log.50e20cf4e4b0a47150882831.1399949586353.txt

Scrying pool game. The other guy goes for money, so what's the best payload? Pirate ship! I got them all the way up to $10, but only got to use the payload once because I was able to pile out the rest of the provinces on the turn I did. But can you deny it Robz? What would you have done here, seeing the other guy go for money-ish?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
Re: Can you deny it Robz?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 11:29:04 pm »

Salvager/Fortress? Only gives you +$4 but it gives you buys and doesn't trash your opponent's coppers for him.

Edit: I guess you did that too, I guess PS isn't so bad here.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:30:21 pm by A Drowned Kernel »
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 11:31:05 pm »
+1

But I feel like any Scrying Pool engine will beat a money deck here.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 11:32:42 pm »

But I feel like any Scrying Pool engine will beat a money deck here.
it did. i don't know what my opponent was doing.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 11:33:45 pm »

And in a mirror PS is probably only going to help your opponent.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 11:36:11 pm »

And in a mirror PS is probably only going to help your opponent.
true. however, this was not a mirror.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 11:43:21 pm »

Yeah, I don't see this as a pirate ship board at all.  In the mirror, PS helps the opponent more and you shouldn't be able to get it over 4.  In a non-mirror, well, anything will lose to the scrying pool engine whether you use pirate ship or salvager.  Salvager just provides better endgame control as well as trashing and an instant $4. 
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 12:20:48 am »

Pirate Ship in the mirror could get lucky and hit the Potion, but that isn't very likely. I'm pretty sure Robz's position is that Pirate Ship is never the right strategy, but that doesn't mean it's not the right counter.

In a mirror, your payload is probably Salv/Fortress and Plaza repeatedly discarding the one Potion you should have.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 12:31:11 am »

Plaza repeatedly discarding the one Potion you should have.

you can trash that potion with salvager when you are done with it
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 01:04:59 am »

Pirate Ship in the mirror could get lucky and hit the Potion, but that isn't very likely. I'm pretty sure Robz's position is that Pirate Ship is never the right strategy, but that doesn't mean it's not the right counter.

In a mirror, your payload is probably Salv/Fortress and Plaza repeatedly discarding the one Potion you should have.

Correct. I do not contend that Pirate Ship is never good. If your opponent decides to play a sub-optimal Treasure heavy deck, Pirate Ship can indeed beat it (though probably more rarely than is believed).

My contention: Assuming that your opponent plays competently, buying Pirate Ship is never the right move. That would indeed hold up here. Scrying Pool + anything is going to prevail here, probably with some Fortress/Salvager/Remodel/Altar shenanigans.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 01:38:04 am »

Correct. I do not contend that Pirate Ship is never good. If your opponent decides to play a sub-optimal Treasure heavy deck, Pirate Ship can indeed beat it (though probably more rarely than is believed).

I definitely had the perfect example of this, but the log didn't get saved...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.588 seconds with 20 queries.