Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bug: Treasure auto-play/Loan/Grand Market  (Read 2284 times)

toaster

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
Bug: Treasure auto-play/Loan/Grand Market
« on: December 05, 2011, 01:38:13 pm »

In a recent game I had a hand with Loan, Cooper, Silver, Gold while Grand Market was in play, the treasure play button played my Copper, even though I've got enough money for a Grand Market.  See turn 12, and Grand Market buyers beware!

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/05/game-20111205-103636-92de5825.html

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: Bug: Treasure auto-play/Loan/Grand Market
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 01:43:29 pm »
+1

It also plays Coppers automatically when you have enough Quarries in hand to afford a Grand Market. Just play your treasures manually if there are kingdom treasures available.

toaster

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 04:41:13 pm »

Indeed, though with Quarry there's at least some complication in figuring out if Grand Market can be bought...Loan is much simpler by comparison.  Personally, I think it'd be an improvement to just turn off auto-play for coppers whenever Grand Market is in play.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 02:39:01 pm »
+1

Indeed, though with Quarry there's at least some complication in figuring out if Grand Market can be bought...Loan is much simpler by comparison.  Personally, I think it'd be an improvement to just turn off auto-play for coppers whenever Grand Market is in play.

That would get annoying pretty quick, especially in the early game. I think the best solution is just for people to be careful. The current system is itself a big improvement over the original one, where being careful was the only option.

And now, a word from the Dominionology Nazi...
Should have said "just turn off auto-play for coppers whenever Grand Market is in the Supply or revealed from the Black Market deck" unless you really did mean that Coppers should be auto-played unless a Grand Market has been played.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 09:29:54 pm »
+1

I was quite surprised that the autoplay limiter is even a feature on isotropic, so whenever I catch it a hair short of perfection I don't complain..

toaster

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 05:27:22 am »

That would get annoying pretty quick, especially in the early game. I think the best solution is just for people to be careful. The current system is itself a big improvement over the original one, where being careful was the only option.

Well, I'll be careful now...but there was no way to know in advance of that kind of behavior.  Furthermore, I think that having a convenience with bugs is often worse than having no convenience at all, simply because it increases the frequency of misclick errors spoiling games.  I stand by my position that turning off the auto-play for GM games is better than having the auto-play implemented incorrectly.  YMMV of course.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 12:00:06 pm »

Well, I'll be careful now...but there was no way to know in advance of that kind of behavior. 

Sure there was. On that turn 12 you took, where it says "toaster plays a Copper, a Gold, and a Silver," I'm guessing the button you clicked to make it do that said "+$6". The treasures that do something when played (Loan, Venture, Contraband, Bank, Horn of Plenty, Ill-Gotten Gains) are never played with the +$ button, so you could have compared the +$6 that the button showed to the Treasures you had in hand to figure it would play Copper, Silver, Gold. Of course, if this was the first time you had played with Loan you wouldn't have known that, and then you definitely would have been in the dark.

FWIW I'm pretty sure if you had played Loan first the button would have changed to +$5. It seems like the button doesn't really consider special Treasures before they're played. I agree it is an annoying bug that can lead to mistakenly playing Copper when you wish to buy Grand Market, but speaking from personal experience the rage-inducing accidental Copper play happened much more frequently before dougz added the feature. I guess it can be a nasty trap in these cases where you think you're safe but you're really not.

Anyway, here's hoping whoever's developing the hopefully-soon-to-be-released commercial version have followed discussions like this to some extent so they can do things like this in the best way possible.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.